American Dream Hostel Reviews

168 East 24th Street, between Lexington and 3rd Av, New York, USA

I was very pleased to stay in this hostel. It is more like a bed & breakfast site. The room was comfortable, it was only for myself, I had a TV, a place to wash my hands and brush my teeth, etc. I felt completely safe during my stay. The breakfast was excellent, lots of bakery stuff, types of bread, donuts, coffee, tea, milk, etc. There was a fridge where you can keep your own food. The place was clean and quite. My room was in the second floor so I had to lift my luggage stairs up.

We were only there for a night passing through. We didn't get there until after 7.30, but the man on the desk was quick to check us in. The first key we were given didn't work, but got it replaced. The breakfast was good, huge variety and really well presented! The bed was comfy, however it was part of a bunk which wasn't good. Unfortunately we had to go up three flights of steep narrow stairs with big heavy bags and there were no elevators. Close to a subway stop which was very convenient

Good location, not very friendly staff. Liked the breakfast! Toilets very clean, rooms would need some updating.

• 5th Sep 2015
  • Finland

Check-in was a bear: the guy at the desk had an issue with math and was divvying up the room charges/deposit in a weird way. Once that was done, though, the rooms were fine - we booked two single rooms and ended up with one room with a folding bed, mirror, no sink and one room with twin bunk beds, a sink and no carpet. Anyway, nice place; this was our second stay there! Would do it again!

Overall, this hostel was average. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and the complimentary breakfast was a great addition. It was not as social as I would have liked, many times other guests looked at me weird/uninvitingly if I said 'hi' to them at breakfast or in the hallway. Luckily, I was only there to sleep and shower. It was perfect for just that!

Very reasonable, basic, good price and location and generally clean, including the bathrooms. Towels could do with being replaced as there were a few stains, I couldn't find any more in the laundry room. WiFi was a little intermittent but generally good enough. The window looked directly onto a concrete wall (no light whatsoever) but provides for air con (necessary & welcome but loud). Good breakfast (particularly if early enough for the doughnuts, plenty of other things if not)

• 1st Sep 2015
  • El Salvador

Pros: Excellent location, one block from subway. Plenty of places to eat nearby. Safe neighbourhood, close to a college. Room small but clean & bright, with sink and towels. Shared bathroom close to room, kept in good condition. Good WiFi. Cons: hostel itself was quiet, but my room (facing the street) got a lot of noise from traffic/sirens etc (probably common to a lot of places in NY). It was also very warm in the room (end of August) - it cooled down with the (very loud) air conditioner.

I stayed here only for 1 night. The hostel is located in a not very busy side street. So, it was not so noisy. But, still very close to many things to visit. So, a perfect combination. The staff was nice. The best part was the breakfast, included in the price, and with a large selection!

Keep up the good work! :)

• 29th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

The hostel was great! Although it didn't look like Much from the outside, it waa a totally different story inside. Decorated to perfection, the hostel had a verg young and hipster vibe. The rooms were clean, basic but ideal. We loved the breakfast and the choices every morning, while the staff were all veru pleasant and made us feel verh welcome.

• 27th Aug 2015

The hostel has a great price and the location is near Union Square! I had no problems there, It was one of the best hostels i've stayed in New York. The breakfast was a life saver and the restrooms/bathrooms were nice. The only disadvantage was that the hostel has no elevators.

• 26th Aug 2015

This hostel is awesome, we were booked in for two nights and ended up booking again for our return stay in New York. The location is amazing, we had a very clean, very nice private room with a shared bathroom. The wifi signal was pretty weak in the room at times but there were computers downstairs with internet. The free breakfast was fantastic and having the kitchen facility was pretty great too. The other thing to mention is that there is a citi bike stand nearly outside the door! Thank you!

• 19th Aug 2015

Had a nice stay. Location is very good, breakfast was just amazing! :)

Excellent free breakfast. Great location. Clean bedroom. Average cleanliness of bathrooms. Bed not very comfortable. AC in bedroom very loud and not very efficient.

• 16th Aug 2015

One of the best Hostel in New York.

• 16th Aug 2015

rooms for couples aren't suitable for couples, it's inconvenient to stay in the hostel as a couple

The staff is very friendly, helpful and polity. The location is very good (close to most of the places that we wanted to visit), clean and organized and the breakfast is really good. Trust me when i say that the hotel exceed our expectations.

Everything was lovely, the communication via email beforehand was a bit lacking though, whenever i emailed i got short answers back. But it was nice and clean and modern.

Arrived there on Friday night around 5:00 and there was nobody there to let us in. Waited for 15 minutes until someone, luckily, was leaving and let us in. Waited another half hour until he came back to check us in. When I told him we would still be standing outside if someone hadn't been leaving, he just replied, "That's nice..." Air con in the room was incredibly loud and barely worked. Left it on to cool room off while going out for a couple hours; someone came in and shut if off.

1 2 3 Next » last »