Amsterdam Hostel Sarphati Reviews

Sarphatipark 58, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1. Security : it didn't have lockers in the room nor in the hostel 2. Staff: staff wasn't helpful and knew too little about Amsterdam and its transport 3. Atmosphere: it didn't feel like other hostels, group experience and activities 4. Cleanliness: dirty. I think this hostel is way below the standard of every other hostel I've been with hostelworld

• 21st Aug 2015
  • Chile
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The hostel is way too expensive for what it offers. It was the smallest i have ever been in. In a tiny room there where 3 triple bunk beds. Impossible to move around with the little space and things laying on the floor. No lockers. No common area except for the coffee room. For the price i paid i would expect a better breakfast than just bread, butter, jam and peanut butter. I would recommend not to stay in this hostel unless it's an emergency.

This hostel has some serious issues: check-in payment only possible with cash, not even with the credit card used for reservation; toilet paper in the kitchen, instead of paper napkins, plus a cat wandering all over the tables and kitchen furniture; clumsy and disorganized personnel; three-leveled bunkbeds are absurd and unsafe. Included breakfast convinced me to choose this hostel, but it's no value for money.

Atmosphere is non existent. Very small rooms that are very dark and claustrophobic. Breakfast involves loaves of bread with either margarine, jam or peanut butter spread - that's it! For what we paid to stay for 2 nights I'd expect so much more. Not a pleasant stay

Despite some less than positive reviews, we actually quite enjoyed our stay here. We found the receptionists to be really friendly, the pet kitten is supercute, and the kitchen while small is very homely and cosy. Yes the dorms/bathrooms are a bit of a squeeze, breakfast is just 'bread and spread' and the luggage 'room' is a closet, but Hostel Sarphati met our needs for exactly what it claimed: a really affordable hostel in Amsterdam. We ran into no major issues and had a great 2 nights!

• 13th Aug 2015

After emaling in advance to cancel my booking, the hostel went did not reply and charged my card regardless. I have still not received a reply. Utterly disgusting service and I will be taking this further

• 7th Aug 2015

basic but cheap accommodation

Cats on the beds No clean sheets ever Rude staff Free breakfast is a loaf on bread with peanut butter

• 27th Jul 2015

The hostel is well located and the employees are really nice. However, there is no locker to put bags and valuable things. Moreover, the bathroom for the 12-bed room was really small and not ventilated. I am not sure it was cleaned every day.

• 26th Jul 2015

Not worth the money, poor location, smelly rooms and bathrooms, small rooms, breakfast was just plain bread and peanut butter. Also they charged my credit card without letting me know for a unknown amount and it still hasn't been paid yet. I slept on top of a triple bunk and my head was right by the celing. Very dodgy looking, I felt like I could get some sickness staying there. Moved out in two nights. Steps were like climbing a ladder, very dangerous.

• 18th Jul 2015
  • South Africa

Dirty bathrooms full of old and empty shampoo bottles, some type of leak on the second floor making the caperpet wet and stink! No lockers although you can leave stuff at reception which is often a complex task, under the beds dirty and dusty. Kitchen is a microwave and no toaster for bread for breakfast.

• 16th Jul 2015

Dirty bathroom and floor.

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Denmark

Was very defficult to get there... i think they need to fix 'how to get there' on website. There were 4 streets which name is 'Sarphati' around Sarphati park, and we were sturuggled which street to go... it's like 10 or 15minutes from the closest tram station. But staffs are all friendly and nice :)

• 15th Jul 2015
  • Japan

It's not a really good place to stay. It's more than a km to get to the center, but this is not the biggest problem. Rooms are small and they managed to fit 12 beds in each. The place is not something you can call clean, starting from the moquette in the hall or on the stairs to the toilet. Breakfast is included but is composed of jam, butter and low quality bread that cannot be toasted, un fact there isn't a toaster. But it's cheap.

good place and good staff are make me happy

The staff seemed nice and willing to help. The hostel is based in a kinda good spot as it is really Close to the albert cuyp market. It is quite the bit from city center though but definitely walkable. We were in a 9 people room and it was very small but I can't really complain as it was what we expected. It did not have any safety locks and there were only one toilet for all of us. The balcony seemed to be connected to some other room too, not sure what that was though.

nice location right across from a park. pretty easy to get around from the hostel to the main city centre etc. only bad thing is very steep stairs

The rooms was very sticky. A very tropical climate.

• 28th Jun 2015
  • Sweden
  • All Male Group, 18-24

breakfast could be improved, only coffee and bread available; with a small investment for a toaster would have made it luxurious, now i had to spread peanutbutter/jelly etc on a soft bread! well, there was a microwave but it's not the same. location is ok, in a more quiet neighbourhood, access to some restaurants and convenience store for 5mins walk, so I would recommend the 10e/24h bicycle rent from the hostel, I made the mistake to pay over that price in MacBike rental service

The only thing good about this hostel is the price. I was in a mixed dorm and there were bunk beds stacked 3 high! The smell in the room was so bad that one staff member had to come in and scrub the floors to see if that would help. They were doing construction also so sometimes the water did not work as well as the WiFi for about 20 minutes. If you can, stay somewhere else.

« first « Prev 1 2 3