Amsterdam Hostel Sarphati Reviews

Sarphatipark 58, Amsterdam, Netherlands

This was the dirtiest hostel I've stayed in in my life! (And I've traveled a lot). The staff are terrible and unhelpful. They shrugged their shoulders when I brought something up to them, so don't bother. 'Breakfast' is literally toast. That's all. And they have one toaster, so you have the whole hostel lining up to make toast. If they cleaned the bathrooms and rooms, got another toaster and cereal, and staff with better attitudes it would be a decent hostel

Easy to get using the trams... but arriving near/after midnight is inconvenient. Overheard many people complaining or picking fights with guy at the front desk at night.. hard to sleep on the first floor. My first night was shouted at by a guy for making "too much noise".. However, the rest of the people I met were polite and talkative. No common socializing space besides the basement kitchen area... served as an OK home base.. but felt a little pushed out after oversleeping the 10am checkout.

The rooms were really small and not enough space for 8 people to move around. There is only one bathroom and toilet and they are attached so having 8 people in one room is a big problem. Wi-Fi connectivity was poor. It wasn't accessible throughout the entire room, only at the entrance of the room.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • India

It's a nice place with friendly and helpfull staff :) we had a lovely time :) Beware of steep stairs if you have heavy luggage :) no elevator, but it wasn't a problem :)

This hostel was overrun with cats. Not good for someone with severe allergies. This is something that should have been mentioned in the hostel information. Bathrooms/toilets were disgusting. Sheets had a strange odor and were discolored. The "free breakfast" was simply toast and peanut butter. Nowhere to lock personal belongings and the rod were unbelievably small. Hardly room to stretch out your arms. DO NOT STAY HERE

Very Nice decorated hostel the people there where always the best.

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Finland

Arrived at 6am from a 10 hour bus as we stated on our booking but night reception didn't let us in because they were closed but on the description it says it has 24 reception. We had to beg him to hold out bags and to let us charge our phones to see where we could go in the city until checkin. Stayed on a weekend and it was way overpriced. The reception through the day was good though. To sum it up if Amsterdam burnt down and this was the only accom available I would rather sleep in the park.

• 27th Jun 2014

I've stayed in more than 50 hostels in many countries. And the guy working at night at this place has been the rudest I've even encountered. The guy would yell at guests and he would threaten them with kicking them out in the middle of the night. There is a guy from England working at the reception during the day and he is cool; friendly and helpful. My room had no windows, only an A/C that didn't really work. The internet was okay, and the bathroom was alright.

Toilets and showers in ensuite were never cleaned, I cleaned them because it was the only way it was going to get done. The night managers were agressive, as though they were taking care of prisoners in gaol.

• 9th Jun 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE. The rooms are small and very dirty. The bathrooms are even worse. There is no place to store or lock your belongings. While we stayed here the toilet connected to our room overflowed and flooded our room with dirty toilet water. There was over and inch of water on the floor, and it smelled terrible. Any belongings on the floor were ruined. We asked if we could get money back and leave a day early, but they refused any refund and even blamed us for the overflowing toilet.

Good Hostel, well located. Has what one needs for some nights of stay. Good value for money.

it was trouble when I go to amsterdam again never i won't stay there.

• 25th May 2014
  • Turkey

Nice stay there with welcoming people ready to give advises

Nice hostel but small toilettes (specially the one downstairs). Good staff and kitchen (there are oven and fridge). It is not that close to the centre but you can have a nice walk to it.

The Moroccan people who own this hostel, and work there don't trust the guests. Maybe it's because they know that in general nobody trusts them. There are no lockers to store your belongings. The young Moroccan guy at the counter with the beard get's annoyed if you ask him to hold your valuables. The night moroccan worker rudely stops you in the hallway if he doesn't recognize your face. The owner will ask where you're from, and then quiz you to see if you're telling the truth.

Staffs were very kind and helpful. good locarion right in front of park and local market street. very nice hostel to stay.

Very dirty dorms. The bathroom was very very dirty and I didn't even want to use the shower. It was too narrow and almost no space between the beds. Parts of the staff were unfriendly and rude.

• 23rd Apr 2014
  • Norway

Pro: - Beautiful area (Sarphati Park) - awesome Value For Money Cons: - Very small rooms - not really clean

Charming hostel, very kind staff. Totally pleased with the stay

• 6th Apr 2014

As I left a long winded reply than many of you will not read, here is the summary: 1.BED BUGS / FLEAS 2.Unclean 3.Cold Showers 4.Breakfast was 30 minutes late – 2 loaves of bread, peanut butter, jam, butter and one toaster 5.They lost my reservation - Were Very Unprofessional 6.They should not be advertising a travel/tour desk! They could not tell me how to get to the airport. 7.Over priced! 8.BED BUGS / FLEAS!!!!!!!! 9.WOULD NOT GO BACK AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!!

• 4th Apr 2014