Amsterdam Hostel Sarphati Reviews

Sarphatipark 58, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great breakfast coffee!

Pretty standard hostel, fair prices when it's not the weekend. A bit of a trek away from the center of the city, but not an awful bike or tram ride away. The staff was relatively helpful, but it's not somewhere I would stay for an extended period of time.

No communication between staffmembers. Staff didn't seems to care at all about their guests. We got blamed for the hostels own screw up. Things missing after the hostelstaff moved our stuff to another room. Bald guy in the reception is extremely rude. Breakfast is poor.

• 13th Aug 2014
  • Finland

This hostel was very unorganized and the accommodations were very poor. The front desk double booked the bed I had, the light switches didn't work, and neither did the toilet.

• 5th Aug 2014

No frills hostel in an awesome authentic Amsterdam location. More or less a local area with beautiful park across road. Facilities are basic but I think if you are on a budget this is a top pick. Staff accommodate baggage storage well. Only problem is a bit pricey for what the facilities offer but then again it's peak season. Would stay again purely for location. Beats staying at somewhere like the flying pig which promotes no experience of the real Amsterdam like saphati.

the hostel was awful, i woke up one morning to find that my towel, boxers and jumper had been stolen from my bag; balcony and bed. there where no lockers or methods of protecting your property, I'm not one of those people that is a complete jobsworth, im a 19 year old student who was interrailing and had to stay at a great variety of hostels, campsites, BnB's and hotels. However i woulod severly suggest DO NOT go to this hostel, i need compensation.

• 30th Jul 2014

The staff was very root, came in moving everyones stuff around, so you had to look for your things in other peoples beds. They were very noisy when the to cleaning men had to clean the room in the middle of the day, and arguing.

It was alright

This was the dirtiest hostel I've stayed in in my life! (And I've traveled a lot). The staff are terrible and unhelpful. They shrugged their shoulders when I brought something up to them, so don't bother. 'Breakfast' is literally toast. That's all. And they have one toaster, so you have the whole hostel lining up to make toast. If they cleaned the bathrooms and rooms, got another toaster and cereal, and staff with better attitudes it would be a decent hostel

Breakfast really weak and the dishes not clean. We were there in the and it was extremely hot in our room, but it was a really uncommon temperature I was told.

Easy to get using the trams... but arriving near/after midnight is inconvenient. Overheard many people complaining or picking fights with guy at the front desk at night.. hard to sleep on the first floor. My first night was shouted at by a guy for making "too much noise".. However, the rest of the people I met were polite and talkative. No common socializing space besides the basement kitchen area... served as an OK home base.. but felt a little pushed out after oversleeping the 10am checkout.

The rooms were really small and not enough space for 8 people to move around. There is only one bathroom and toilet and they are attached so having 8 people in one room is a big problem. Wi-Fi connectivity was poor. It wasn't accessible throughout the entire room, only at the entrance of the room.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • India

It's a nice place with friendly and helpfull staff :) we had a lovely time :) Beware of steep stairs if you have heavy luggage :) no elevator, but it wasn't a problem :)

This hostel was overrun with cats. Not good for someone with severe allergies. This is something that should have been mentioned in the hostel information. Bathrooms/toilets were disgusting. Sheets had a strange odor and were discolored. The "free breakfast" was simply toast and peanut butter. Nowhere to lock personal belongings and the rod were unbelievably small. Hardly room to stretch out your arms. DO NOT STAY HERE

Very Nice decorated hostel the people there where always the best.

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Finland

Arrived at 6am from a 10 hour bus as we stated on our booking but night reception didn't let us in because they were closed but on the description it says it has 24 reception. We had to beg him to hold out bags and to let us charge our phones to see where we could go in the city until checkin. Stayed on a weekend and it was way overpriced. The reception through the day was good though. To sum it up if Amsterdam burnt down and this was the only accom available I would rather sleep in the park.

• 27th Jun 2014

I've stayed in more than 50 hostels in many countries. And the guy working at night at this place has been the rudest I've even encountered. The guy would yell at guests and he would threaten them with kicking them out in the middle of the night. There is a guy from England working at the reception during the day and he is cool; friendly and helpful. My room had no windows, only an A/C that didn't really work. The internet was okay, and the bathroom was alright.

Toilets and showers in ensuite were never cleaned, I cleaned them because it was the only way it was going to get done. The night managers were agressive, as though they were taking care of prisoners in gaol.

• 9th Jun 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE. The rooms are small and very dirty. The bathrooms are even worse. There is no place to store or lock your belongings. While we stayed here the toilet connected to our room overflowed and flooded our room with dirty toilet water. There was over and inch of water on the floor, and it smelled terrible. Any belongings on the floor were ruined. We asked if we could get money back and leave a day early, but they refused any refund and even blamed us for the overflowing toilet.

Good Hostel, well located. Has what one needs for some nights of stay. Good value for money.