Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

awesome breakfast, pancakes self-making...;)

We booked the Amsterdam hostal expecting the worse..... it was actually a nice stay. The staff was fun and informative. it is located in a central location with in the city. Free pancakes all morning. The rooms get a little stuffy, but you can always open your windows to get fresh air. the security was great. The lockers are spacious. They also offer activities for people to do. Fresh linens, the kitchen is spacious. The back patio is nice and private. The bathroom was clean. The price is great.

We spent a night only, I wish we could have spent more time. The employees were really nice and the atmosphere was really quite which is just what we needed. Good quality compared to the price we actually paid. I find pretty cool the fact that you have to make your own pancake for free in the morning for breakfast, but the only thing about that is that you have to wait before you can actually bake your. Orange juice and hot cocoa for breakfast was missing, some people don't drink coffee or tea.

Quite small group rooms and poor breakfast, yet helpful staff, location near the center, computers with internet and absolutely best price of all hostels in San Francisco.

Amsterdam Hostel was a very, very good choice! It’s location is perfect! Near the metro, malls, shops, mini markets, stores, restaurants and the most important attractions in San Francisco. I think the breakfast was ok too. I really enjoy my stay at Amsterdam. Only one thing, although the staff was very good, kind and always helped me there was a guy, tall, short hair, not very dark mustache, he didn’t wear glasses whose service was not the best. Five minutes waiting for something became hour.

DO NOT STAY HERE! The place is poorly managed. The staff and management do not actually care about the well being of the travelers. Their attitude is rude. You can tell the place is poorly managed by the run down facilities. The lobby couches are full of holes, the rooms smell damp and musky, the carpets are dirty. The kitchen is a disaster, guests are allowed to leave a mess. The heaters barely work, and when they do, they make a loud hissing sound. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• 31st Dec 2014

Dear hostel world, The Amsterdam hostel stinks. Literally. It smells like a lost raccoon had an abortion in there. The staff are ugly and lazy. It would have been more helpful to have a cardboard cut out of George bush at the front desk. We only booked at the Amsterdam hostel because all other hostels in town were booked out, and they charged us through the teeth for the displeasure. If I had my time again, I would not book at all, and comit a crime in order to get thrown in prison for the nigh

• 30th Dec 2014

Was really happy with the location which was an easy walk to union square. Very happy to not be about two roads further south where it gets a bit sketchy. But there were two major problems; we were promised lockers, and there were none (even the staff on duty we're surprised about that), and our roof started leaking one night through a hole for a light fitting or something. Luckily this was dealt with, but there were wires etc coming out of this leaking spot, which was a big big concern for me.

• 27th Dec 2014

I Had a good time in this Hostel. People are nice and cool. I would stay there again. Great location.

• 13th Dec 2014

This was the best hybrid between a hotel and a hostel! Having a private room with an ensuite and all standard amenities of a hotel was great (sheets, towels, shampoo(!!), hair dryer, mini fridge). But then to also have common rooms, computers with free wi-fi, and a kitchen where we met amazing people made this a great place to stay! Ignore other comments about cleanliness and smell. It was an old, but well kept building considering the traffic with really helpful staff.

Some of my personal belongings were thrown out by the cleaner, and some of them stolen. To figure all this out I had to fish through the bins myself. Very unimpressive. My friend's bed was so unsteady she felt unsafe and couldn't sleep properly, after complaining she was moved but a new guest was put straight on the bad bed. Our keys continually stopped working and we had to get them re-programmed many times. I would never recommend this hostel to a friend.

chilled hostel. Not much to complain. Good location, clean, staff are not super friendly but okay. Kitchen closed for night time. Relaxed

• 7th Dec 2014

The smell in the hostel is unbearable. Although I had booked and payed for four nights, I had to leave after the second night because I could not stand it anymore. When I talked about this topic to the staff, they told me that there is nothing they can do about it. They could also not cancel a second stay I had reserved at the Amsterdam Hostel but asked me to cancel via email. That is lousy service! The kitchen and common room were almost always dirty.

A really nice place, well located, cool people and free pancakes on the morning !

• 5th Dec 2014

I really love this kitchen. it could be a little better organized, but the community cooking was by far the my favorite thing about staying in a hostel, and you had the best kitchen i had ever seen in my travels.

• 3rd Dec 2014

The staff were really friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere in the hostel. I met new people every night just by sitting in the common areas.

Overall, I had a good one night stay :)

• 30th Nov 2014
  • China

I've been travelling for 3 months staying in at hostels all around the world but this is the worst I have experienced. The room was dirty and smelt old and damp. Plus I was bitten all over by bed bugs from head to toe, they refunded my money but the staff didn't care at all what had happened and I don't believe they did anything about the situation. Yes the hostel is in a great location but that's the only good part. Stay away!!

• 26th Nov 2014

We enjoyed our stay a lot. Front desk staff was so helpful. The only bad thing was breakfast- waiting on the line to make pancakes, not enough materials in the kitchen. Next time I am in San Francisco, I will definitely choose to stay here again.

I personally did not feel very comfortable . The staff was very friendly though somehow incompetent. Their organizing things is just horrible. The bed I got was occupied 20min after I got it. I just went out of the hostel for sth. groceries. Several things like that happend to others as I've noticed. I was also missing a nice lounge to hang out. They had a room with nothing much in there which had no flair at all. I've definitely had much better hostels....

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4