Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

This was the best hybrid between a hotel and a hostel! Having a private room with an ensuite and all standard amenities of a hotel was great (sheets, towels, shampoo(!!), hair dryer, mini fridge). But then to also have common rooms, computers with free wi-fi, and a kitchen where we met amazing people made this a great place to stay! Ignore other comments about cleanliness and smell. It was an old, but well kept building considering the traffic with really helpful staff.

Some of my personal belongings were thrown out by the cleaner, and some of them stolen. To figure all this out I had to fish through the bins myself. Very unimpressive. My friend's bed was so unsteady she felt unsafe and couldn't sleep properly, after complaining she was moved but a new guest was put straight on the bad bed. Our keys continually stopped working and we had to get them re-programmed many times. I would never recommend this hostel to a friend.

chilled hostel. Not much to complain. Good location, clean, staff are not super friendly but okay. Kitchen closed for night time. Relaxed

• 7th Dec 2014

The smell in the hostel is unbearable. Although I had booked and payed for four nights, I had to leave after the second night because I could not stand it anymore. When I talked about this topic to the staff, they told me that there is nothing they can do about it. They could also not cancel a second stay I had reserved at the Amsterdam Hostel but asked me to cancel via email. That is lousy service! The kitchen and common room were almost always dirty.

A really nice place, well located, cool people and free pancakes on the morning !

• 5th Dec 2014

I really love this kitchen. it could be a little better organized, but the community cooking was by far the my favorite thing about staying in a hostel, and you had the best kitchen i had ever seen in my travels.

• 3rd Dec 2014

The staff were really friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere in the hostel. I met new people every night just by sitting in the common areas.

Overall, I had a good one night stay :)

• 30th Nov 2014
  • China

I've been travelling for 3 months staying in at hostels all around the world but this is the worst I have experienced. The room was dirty and smelt old and damp. Plus I was bitten all over by bed bugs from head to toe, they refunded my money but the staff didn't care at all what had happened and I don't believe they did anything about the situation. Yes the hostel is in a great location but that's the only good part. Stay away!!

• 26th Nov 2014

We enjoyed our stay a lot. Front desk staff was so helpful. The only bad thing was breakfast- waiting on the line to make pancakes, not enough materials in the kitchen. Next time I am in San Francisco, I will definitely choose to stay here again.

I personally did not feel very comfortable . The staff was very friendly though somehow incompetent. Their organizing things is just horrible. The bed I got was occupied 20min after I got it. I just went out of the hostel for sth. groceries. Several things like that happend to others as I've noticed. I was also missing a nice lounge to hang out. They had a room with nothing much in there which had no flair at all. I've definitely had much better hostels....

The location in the city is good, it is very central. The room (2 bed ensuite) was okay. Negative is that the kitchen is in comparison to the number of guests all too small and also the pots and pans looks dirty. We did not make use of the included pancake breakfast because it was always really crowded in the kitchen and there weren't enough free chairs on the table.

• 20th Nov 2014

The hostel charges a $10 deposit for their plastic key card. I forgot to return it upon my checkout and therefore did not get my deposit back. When I returned home, I sent the hostal a letter, the card, and a prestamped addressed envelope for the return of my deposit. I got no response. A few weeks later I returned to the hostel to claim my deposit and the manager said he didn't recieve my mail. They refused to return my deposit. I even let them know I was going to donate it to a homeless man.

Everything was ok apart from the smell, it was really unpleasant even if the place was clear.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Poland

Good place to stay in san francisco! The hostel is located near to union square and you can get transportation to anywhere in the city. I feel safe in it. I like the room I stayed - there was a ensuite. The staff was pretty helpfull. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the breakfast - only pancakes.

I have stayed at the "European hostel" before staying here and it is safe to say the Amsterdam hostel is at least 4, no, 5, times better. The staff are super nice in Amsterdam where as in European they are rude unhelpful and try to cheat you of money. And the Amsterdam is cheaper.

• 10th Nov 2014

decent place for a few nights. if you get a room facing on to the main road outside it is very noisy. don't count on sleeping after 6am. breakfast is nothing special and kitchen is a fairly chaotic place in morning. good rate on bike hire and fairly central for all tourist activities. would probably stay in a different hostel next time though

I did not like this Hostel. It's dirty, unconfortable, the small is bad inside de rooms. The only good thing is about location, because is pretty close to Union Square.

My friend and I stayed at the Amsterdam hostel in early November. We arrived after a long long day of travelling. All we needed was a shower and sleep. Unfortunately only 50% of these services were provided. There was NO hot water for over 24hrs. We politely raised the issue several times throughout our stay, but to no avail. It was only after we threatened to leave that there was some progress on the issues. I only recommend staying here if you want an unpredictable experience.

Cheap hostel with very good location, and nice area. Just a few difficulties to access with suitcase.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4