Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

1996 Total Reviews

Great location. Friendly atmosphere. Would stay there again.

• 22nd Dec 2015

Good value for money for backpacers. I was assigned a upper bunk bed but I found it hard and rather unsafe to reach it with an insecure ladder. When I asked to change to another room the staff just told me that every room was full. Breakfast (cook your own pancake) is fine.

Hostel is in very convenient location, close to the center. Rooms are spacious and at least in our room there were lockers (although you needed your own padlock). Kitchen is absolutely tiny, so it the dining area, it was almost impossible to cook anything for yourself. Besides, it closes at 10pm, so if you come back after 10, you can't even make a cup of tea, it was very frustrating! Food gets regularly stolen, but I suppose it's not so much the hostel's fault. Overall, an ok cheap hostel.

The hostel was in an old building, but the place certainly did the job. The staff were not the friendliest I've encountered, but I probably would stay there again.

The staff is not very appraochable, but oh well. For the price you pay, this is great value for money! I met amazing people with whom I explored SF and had decent nights sleep in the somewhat wobbly bunkbeds, but again, for the price you pay you cant expect to have the best of the best. If you go around 8am breakfast is not that busy and the pancakes tasted nice! I also loved the ensuite bathroom, so convenient and clean!

• 10th Dec 2015

nice, clean, friendly

• 6th Dec 2015

Nice simple hostel. Near to union square but about half an hour walk to fishermans wharf. It is fairly big so not enough kitchen and dining space for the people there. Staff not very helpful. Fine for a couple of nights

One of the cheapest option you can get in SF.

It's conveniently located, great value for the money considering how expensive San Francisco can be. Pancakes for breakfast! Lots of rooms so expect to be surrounded by people all the time.

Decent hostel which is more like an old hotel converted into a hostel with dorms. Location is 3blocks from Union Square and about 1 block from the trams that run to fisherman's wharf, so is spot on! Value for money given hotel costs in San Fran around the corner. Breakfast is make your own pancakes and coffee which is nice. Kitchen is also well equipped and decent size. Atmosphere is lacking though as communal areas are small and no bar. As above more like hotel with dorms but suited us

Location is perfect! The staff sometimes was ok sometimes not! The breakfast that they promise is pancake that you have to make by yourself but it´s ok!! The coffee was always cold!! Shower sometimes didn´t work. Wi fi is terrible!! The stairs to go up to the bed are TERRIBLE!!! Try to get the lower bed!! The rooms are spacious, bed is ok!

This was my second time in a Hostel in the USA, as I had stayed in Hostels prior to this in Europe. Very great rates for SF where most other hostels are about $35 to $45 a night without tax. Internet was spotty, and the breakfast is just waffles which should be improved on such as at Orange Village where the breakfast is reminiscent to Europe. Met some amazing people here. Good showers and bathrooms in each dorm room and if you can get there early get a bottom bunk.

• 28th Nov 2015

Try to organize more the kitchen, we spend a lot of time looking for things there.

• 26th Nov 2015
  • emiliaefr

One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in and for such a low price! We were lucky enough to have a bathroom right in our dorm, the linens were nice, the beds adequately comfortable, and the overall facilities very nice. This clearly used to be quite a nice hotel that was converted into a hostel and the building was accordingly quite charming. Highly recommend!

Nice environment, very clean bathrooms, coffee was little weak thou😊😊, my friends and I enjoyed it very much staying there!!!!

Nice clean safe and comfortabke. Great location.

A very good hostel located near Union Square. Older building but has good facilities and large rooms. Beds were also comfortable.

Nice staff, nice people. Pancakes!

Great hostel experience. Comfy common room, friendly guests, and helpful staff right in the heart of San Francisco. Great value for the money -- had a great time!

The hostel stinks so bad!! I lost my ring and the staff wasn't helpful at all to help me to find it. I left the ring under my pillow on the first night i arrived, i forgot to put it on in the morning and went out when i got back to the hostel in the evening the ring wasn't there. I straight away reported it to the front desk as it was a very valuable ring but they told me to talk to cleaners and they said there are three cleaners and i need to find them whenever their shifts are and ask them!!!

View all San Francisco Hostels