Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

good hostel, location not far from Union Square

Great little hostel, Easier if they did a different breakfast - pancakes good though when not waiting to make them ! Great location, cheap, cheerful Maybe need to assign beds - got in at midnight...no idea which bed was free etc

Receptionist was friendly, informative, helpful, accurate, and businesslike. Excellent value and location. (The walk from California Street cable car is steep. -Welcome to SF.) My six person dorm was more spacious than many hostels and it had a window over the street giving good light. With windows closed, noise was not a problem. Wi-fi a bit week in the room but usable. Lockers in room were larger than some I have seen. Prepared free breakfast was simply coffee and pancake batter.

• 21st Mar 2015

Very clean! Highly recommended

I couldn't get wifi in the room, no place charge my laptop, phone in the room. It's not really clean and the smell in the hostel is awful

• 21st Mar 2015
  • China

Took place since I was only there for 3 nights and knew I would be out early and home late. Location is ok but once inside it is quite shabby. Ripped up couch in lobby, garbage pails overflowing for 2 days, how hard is it to empty garbage? Room was dark, desk lamp had no bulb and was defective anyway. Closet door no knob. Slight odor. Dresser had dangling piece and was so old that drawers opened only after much fiddling with. Very low end, good for kids with lil cash to spend.

• 20th Mar 2015

Thanks a bunch for a great experience!

A good place to live in. Have pancakes for breakfast, while you have to make it by yourself. The place is quite, close to union square and Chinatown

• 14th Mar 2015
  • China

Staff are nice and helpful.

There was a bad smell in the room. One would enjoy a fresh smell of cleanness.

• 10th Mar 2015
  • Mongolia

I spent goot time.I can make many friends in this hostel!!

We stayed for four nights in a double room. For San Francisco the price was pretty good, especially if you consider the great location! The only thing we disliked was the high amount hostelworld.com suprisingly charged us for this booking! Better call the hostel directly and ask for a room :)

• 8th Mar 2015

Luggage room not great. Everything else is exactly what you'd expect from hostel. Good place :)

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

Nice hostel cheaper than those in the area but with not such good common areas and atmosphere. It's more of a quiet hostel.

Not the best place, not the worst either. It was cold at night and the washroom wasn't the cleanest. The common areas were mostly in the basement and somewhat run down. Almost no ambience. Also the housekeeping staff told me it'd be ok if I stayed for a bit after check out to pack up my things. But then I got charged 10 dollars from the front receptionist for checking out late. Felt unfair and I was not warned about this policy beforehand. Overall a very average place to stay.

It was sad, that the available staff was poorly informed about the activities. Additionally some of them were not even conducted, because it was out of season. Nowhere was this information written.. They could at least erase the info on the white board... Except that, the stay was good, it was clean, easy to access and the free breakfast consists only on pancakes and maple sirup, so you need to consider to buy some additional stuff for breakfast.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

A french guy that was in my room for half a week smelled really really bad; staff could post a friendly recommendation in every bathroom telling guests to be considerate to others and keep clean and tidy. It could have helped. Also I missed a proper floor mat near the shower, so the bathroom floor would not get wet so easily. Afterall there are lots of people using the shower.

One Indian lady's attitude wasn't very nice

Good place to stay. Friendly staff, warm atmosphere, good facilities. Glad I booked there.

• 25th Feb 2015

The staff was really nice, I loved the free pancakes and your own bathroom!!! I would definetly recommend this hostel

• 24th Feb 2015