Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

The hostel charges a $10 deposit for their plastic key card. I forgot to return it upon my checkout and therefore did not get my deposit back. When I returned home, I sent the hostal a letter, the card, and a prestamped addressed envelope for the return of my deposit. I got no response. A few weeks later I returned to the hostel to claim my deposit and the manager said he didn't recieve my mail. They refused to return my deposit. I even let them know I was going to donate it to a homeless man.

Everything was ok apart from the smell, it was really unpleasant even if the place was clear.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Poland

Good place to stay in san francisco! The hostel is located near to union square and you can get transportation to anywhere in the city. I feel safe in it. I like the room I stayed - there was a ensuite. The staff was pretty helpfull. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the breakfast - only pancakes.

I have stayed at the "European hostel" before staying here and it is safe to say the Amsterdam hostel is at least 4, no, 5, times better. The staff are super nice in Amsterdam where as in European they are rude unhelpful and try to cheat you of money. And the Amsterdam is cheaper.

• 10th Nov 2014

decent place for a few nights. if you get a room facing on to the main road outside it is very noisy. don't count on sleeping after 6am. breakfast is nothing special and kitchen is a fairly chaotic place in morning. good rate on bike hire and fairly central for all tourist activities. would probably stay in a different hostel next time though

I did not like this Hostel. It's dirty, unconfortable, the small is bad inside de rooms. The only good thing is about location, because is pretty close to Union Square.

My friend and I stayed at the Amsterdam hostel in early November. We arrived after a long long day of travelling. All we needed was a shower and sleep. Unfortunately only 50% of these services were provided. There was NO hot water for over 24hrs. We politely raised the issue several times throughout our stay, but to no avail. It was only after we threatened to leave that there was some progress on the issues. I only recommend staying here if you want an unpredictable experience.

Nice hostel in the center of SF. I can´t complain.

Cheap hostel with very good location, and nice area. Just a few difficulties to access with suitcase.

So much better than San Francisco International Hostel but still it is a mediocre one. Good part is that the rooms have a bathroom.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Turkey

Staff did care about anyone's needs or won't simple info about the city was " I don't know " one min. I need to text my friend . NOT KIDDING " wtf " do not stay there . Plase smell of pot the hole time I was there . Ok I get it Amsterdam hostel . But come on put the weed down and see why there NO HOT WARTER IN THE PLACE ! Cold showers all the Time I was there if I could have got my money back I would have but pay up fringbno refunds . This place sucked

Great hostel! The staff was super flexible and super nice. You could check out at any time.

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Puerto Rico

It was depend on what kind of hostel you prefer. They dont have much great facility for cooking, not much room for social activities. but it made you spend more time knowing and hanging out with your roommate or some new friends you just met.

• 23rd Oct 2014
  • Taiwan

Location was fab and it was cheap. However place very very outdated and dirty, pretty sure I got bed bugs here. Showering facilities poor. For the money I suppose this hostel lies at the bottom end of what you would expect. Still a great location from which to explore SF

• 20th Oct 2014

this is very place to meeting travelers ,i had good time ,expect bed,,bed is suck .i could don't sleep.

Teally liked the all-day coffee and the pancakes!

• 19th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

I had a very nice stay. There were people talking late at night and early in the morning while trying to sleep, but otherwise everything was fine.

• 12th Oct 2014

Worst hostel experience ever! Do yourself a favour and Hostelling International is 100 times better and at the same price Facilities: the hostel is old, unmaintained, decrepit and dirty The hall carpets were nasty and smells. The actual room is small and bed are old, rusty and the matress is uncofortable Security: The hostel is in the Tenderloin. But even their storage area, where you can leave your bag for the day has no ticket system! Staff: Unfriendly and incooperative Breakfast is a joke

The Amsterdam Hostel is in a very good condition. the 6-bed-dorms have an own bathroom (-> clean) and the kitchen is equipped quite good. Public transportation is nearby as is the Union Square. I had a good stay there.

• 5th Oct 2014

Although breakfast is "included" it is a joke and one of the poorest I have had, there was just coffee, no cups, just plastic glasses, and a pot to prepare yourself pancakes. no more. Further more the shower was cold, no hot water, actually was just a thin stream of cold water.

• 30th Sep 2014