Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

The staff all speak poor English and the after hours staff don't really seem to have a clue and are of no help. We had water leaking through the bathroom light all night, not just a drip, but a steady flow and we were handed two towels! Walls are paper thin, I got a fungal foot infection, the kitchen is tiny for a 200 bed place and smokers are smoking in the outdoor eating area as no one police's it. Would I stay again? No

• 19th Sep 2014

I enjoyed my stay here, great location!

Everything was good. everybody was very nice. the only thing I did not like is that there is no elevator and i had a lot of stuff, the rest was awesome!

I adored this hostel. The atmosphere facilitated connection among guests. It was warm welcoming. I had a stellar experience.

• 11th Sep 2014

Just stayed one night! No complaints apart of the receptionist unable to open the door and letting people wait outside with their luggage! It's a button dude! I walked over 3 tines to let people in during I got checked in! Apart of that liked the place!

Reasonably priced hostel in an expensive city.

Staff was sub-par. Didn't appear to be too friendly.

Location was ok. Staff was not very helpful. I wanted to ask some questions, they just told me if I may come back later and ask all my questions . Breakfast was just pancakes, they are ok for one or two days but not more!! Once payed there are no refunds. I think you get what you pay for, but it could be more!

I really enjoyed exploring San Francisco with the nice hostel!

Very good location and friendly atmosphere. Small rooms but cozy. There are numerous common areas to eat, chill out etc. Good place over all. Negative: Don't expect any breakfast. There's no breakfast apart from messy bucket of pancake batter that you have to fry on your own. WiFi disconnects constantly.

Staff was very helpful. I am elderly and the staff person carried my bag up two flights cheerfully. I was abe to print out what I needed on the computer -All in all, I would stay there again.

• 25th Aug 2014

Very good hostel. Feels like hotel sometimes. Location is good tho couple bloks down is pretty dangerous by night.

All staffs are really kind and the room really nice

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Thailand

For the price and location I would be very hard to beat it I will recommend it to anyone I know whos going to San Francisco

Staff here are all really nice and helpful although the hostel itself needs a bit of work. Top bunks aren't very wide and don't have any safety railings which was a bit worrying. Have to cook your pancakes yourself so hope you don't get stuck in a line like I did. No water dispenser in the kitchen so you have to get water from the sink, and people are always washing dishes in the sink so.. yeah. The location wasn't as bad as I'd read about. Super close to Union Square and the Airport BART train.

Lockers were good. Beds comfy. Pancake breakfast was great. Cable TV a bonus. Blocked toilets were a bit annoying. And a cheap shuttle to the airport is much appreciated.

We stayed in a 4 bed room only for two nights for a weekend away, and thank god it wasn't longer!! I've definitely been in much better hostels in big cities (including SF). Rooms are very run down, bunk beds were cranky, ensuite bathroom although functional was but very tiny and old, common kitchen is small and messy, and breakfast was practically non-existent (even if they claim there is!). The only good thing is the location. Next time, I'll try other hostels before repeating this one.

The whole place smelt bad, but other than that it was your average hostel..

Although located in the not-so-great section of the city (The Tenderloin) the hostel itself is quite secure. It's walking distance to Union square and the metro, and runs different events/activities in conjunction with other hostels. It may not be as new and flashy as some of the other hostels, the facilities are clean, and the free pancake breakfast is a bonus.

Free breakfast