Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, California, USA

According to one's experience is the positive or the negative commentary, mine was very good !! so for me it was a good hostel . I would always come back here.

Smelly, staff was not collaborative and facilities werent good. But overall, good value for the money.

• 6th Jan 2014
  • Argentina

I was there for 5 nights and enjoyed my stay. It is a good place to meet so many new people from different countries. I made few really good friends there and it was right in the middle of the downtown.

• 5th Jan 2014
  • Pakistan

The Staff wasnt nice and had no time when you had a problem. They always seem to be not interestent in helping room. our double room was nice. but the heater was always very loud at night. you could hear the water from other rooms as well as from the heater, which had make sleeping very difficult.

Awesome staff. Very helpful and competent, didn't get annoyed even though I had a million questions ;) (and knew all the answers, too!) Will definitely recommend and stay here again if ever back in SF!

Staff is really unfriendly. Even to print out one single page of paper is a challenge, staff couldn't deal with. filthy bathrooms with mould!!! kitchen equipment available, but also not very clean. bunk beds have no ladders, so you have to step on people who are lying underneath. heaters don't work...

i really do not understand the negative reviews. The Hostel is perfectly located, pretty close to the Union. Even to the Peers it is not to far. It would and will definitely return to this Hostel when i come back to SF. Have a great stay.

• 27th Dec 2013

Location would be excellent if not for the hill of all hills on Taylor street. Baggage holding room for before check in was good and we were allowed to stay on the day of check out until our bus left that evening.

super nice place to be in SAN FRAN!!

• 10th Dec 2013

The location is perfect. They have a taxi service that is secure, but you should informe with staff how many time before they need to call. They have a good internet signal, and some computers which you can use for free.

• 9th Dec 2013

I've rented a private room. Yes, San Francisco is expensive and $65 is probably not a lot of money for a private double this city, but you get what you pay for. The room was dirty and full of mold. Also, only a few of the lights worked. Except for the friendly Indian girl the staff was not very helpful or friendly. I would not recommend this place.

Enjoyed very much. Bedside light in my private room (306) was broken.

• 22nd Nov 2013

I would definitely stayed again in this hostel and recommend it to everyone if it wasn't for one thing - the beds, they are horrible, creaky and so soft that you can hardly rest in the night and if you stay in a dorm every person coming later at night or moving during the night will wake you up.

Center of SF, hard to park a car nearby if you have one, if not public transport are near enough (but be ready to climb some streets) Kitchen very busy in the morning to the point of waiting around 30 minutes

Good location, but the staff seemed to be constantly getting told off by someone for messing something up. No real atmosphere to speak of (certainly not a full as friendly people who wants to hang out as I'd have hoped), but that may just be the case with hostels in the USA generally. TV room/computers available (although one of the computers wasn't working) . Plus they shut the kitchen at 10pm, so remember to eat before then and take any of your food or with you if you need it in the night!

They changed my reservation WITHOUT notifying me from mixed dorm to a single bed. This became a problem because I was traveling with a colleague of a different gender. I asked them to fix the problem or they pay for me to stay somewhere else. They informed me that another bed would be put in the room. This did not happen and I had to sleep on the floor. To make it worse they would not offer me another pillow or blanket. I was told I would be given a refund and I was not. It was also disgusting.

• 10th Nov 2013

Cheap but not bad No strange person

• 4th Nov 2013
  • Japan

Great hostel! Ideally located between Downtown and Nob Hill, you can walk to almost every district around. Prices are very competitive, espcially for San Francisco. Wi-fi and breakfast are free. The welcome counter is open 24/7. Drawbacks would be common rooms are not that clean and meeting with people is not easy due to the disposition of the rooms and the lack of internal activities.

Amsterdam's standards have dropped so low. older bunk beds with no appropriate ladders, employees sharing rooms with guests - we felt like we had no right to stay in that room, some of the staff at reception were not helpful and rude.

It's a very nice hostel for its cost. I want to visit here again

1 2 Next » last »