Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

1994 Total Reviews

Nice hostel, not an amazing one but good for the price you pay. The bathroom light went out and they said they couldn't fix it for several days though... and I think there should be a few more free things in the kitchen like milk and cereal (not just salt :p).

• 29th Sep 2015

Depends what you want.. Cheap places to sleep in San Fran are like Gold dust. It's not the cleanest but it isn't dirty! Just dated. Staff could have been friendlier but I would stay here again if I was back in the city.

Was a good last minute place to stay staff are friendly could do with a bit of a clean up in the bathrooms but over all it was a nice place cheap and affordable unlike the rest of San Francisco

The hostel was neat and tidy in a fantastic location. San Fran is expensive to backpack in and the Amsterdam hostel was reflective of the market prices around San Fran. People kept to themselves so wasn't as friendly as other hostels I have been in. Enjoyed our stay there but make sure to pre book all the nights you want, we tried to get more and they had nothing and there ended up being nothing left in San Fran so had to cut our stay shorter than we would have liked

• 23rd Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

I didn't experience any reason not to like this place, loved the pancakes for breakfast, nice beds, shower in the shared room. A lot of people only stay a night or two at the start or end of their trips, means a good opportunity to meet others starting out but also a risk of mostly people leaving by soon.

The hostel was clean, fairly organized, and had a friendly atmosphere, but the staff was lethargic. I was told just enough information about the hostel and building layout to get around. Although there was a map setting on the front desk for someone to take, they didn't offer any information about the surrounding restaurants/attractions in San Francisco. The kitchen was small and hectic. Confusion at breakfast could have been avoided if the hostel staff had a better introductory brief.

• 15th Sep 2015

I had a wonderful stay there. The staff were real friendly as were the roommates I had. The breakfast was great. And I will stay there when I come back. Its located real close to Chinatown as well as being 2 blocks from Cable cars and buses to Fisherman's Wharf.

• 15th Sep 2015

One of the staffmembers recommended taking a cab to the alcatraz landing site..... Thats an advice I never got before in a hostel. We ended up walking there but also a cable car would have been a good advice cause we went early and the cars passing us were empty.

Smells pretty bad. It's old and haven't been maintained. The shower wouldn't drain so you end up showering on a pool of someone else hair. I stayed on the 6 bed female dorm. The bed was too noisy and inclined to a side.

such a nice place, in a nice area just next to Union Square, after reading all these negative opinions I have expected a dull and dirty place. posiitive surprise!!

• 9th Sep 2015
  • Poland

This hostel was only okay! It was clean and the beds were comfy but the staff weren't very friendly and were not interested in any problems or concerns that we had. You can only pay in cash which means you have to use their atm, meaning an additional $4 charge. The free breakfast is a total waste of time as it's only pancakes and you have to wait ages to make them. The location was good though.

A really decent hostel in the right part of downtown. Enjoyed the brief visit, would definitely do it again

Me and two friends of mine spent there 4 nights. Absolutely worth the money! It actually looks and feels like a hotel except that there are bunk beds and that you have to share your room. Great location (we even walked from the Greyhound station). The neighborhood is absolutely secure, downtown is quite close by walk, there is a cable car stop in 3-4 mins walk. Cheap laundry and dryers in the basement. The place is clean, the staff is friendly and helpful.

• 1st Sep 2015
  • Hungary

great choice !!!

Excellent place!

Really disappointed with my stay in the Amsterdam hostel, staff were rude and unwelcoming as well as very un-helpful when in need of assistance, especially as foreign tourists in country for the first time. Hygiene issue needs immediately addressed as it is a health an safety hazard (leaking toilets). Showers needs plumbed, beds unstable, no air con, breakfast was diabolical expected better, overall thoroughly upset with our value for money with this hostel!

• 22nd Aug 2015

This hostel wasn't as bad as I expected after reading all the reviews! It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were not very helpful when I asked for local information and not friendly overall. The breakfast also is terrible!!!! They offer free pancakes only and sugar or syrup to go on these, not to mention you have to wait in a 20 min line to make them! Also, there is no milk for coffee and no hot water for tea (have to microwave a cup of water).

Loved it! Pancake breakfast was amazing!

The stuff there was not really interested in helping me with questions or let me check-in by time. My bed was probably 100 years old and totaly overused. A new matraz could be a good idea... or a new back after more than 2 nights. But at least my room was clean

This is a motel comparing it with another nearb hostel that I spent the last 2 days, called ENCORE HOSTEL, this one it is a 5*hotel comparing with this dirty & nasty place. You could look in the eyes of the staff that all they wanted was money. It also they changed my booked room. I arrived 2:45, they didn't allow me to do the check in until 3, despite of I told then I had a important interview. Pathetic in all terms this hostel. Best thing : location

• 13th Aug 2015