Amsterdam Hostel Reviews

749 Taylor Street, San Francisco, USA

I've been travelling for 3 months staying in at hostels all around the world but this is the worst I have experienced. The room was dirty and smelt old and damp. Plus I was bitten all over by bed bugs from head to toe, they refunded my money but the staff didn't care at all what had happened and I don't believe they did anything about the situation. Yes the hostel is in a great location but that's the only good part. Stay away!!

• 26th Nov 2014

We enjoyed our stay a lot. Front desk staff was so helpful. The only bad thing was breakfast- waiting on the line to make pancakes, not enough materials in the kitchen. Next time I am in San Francisco, I will definitely choose to stay here again.

I personally did not feel very comfortable . The staff was very friendly though somehow incompetent. Their organizing things is just horrible. The bed I got was occupied 20min after I got it. I just went out of the hostel for sth. groceries. Several things like that happend to others as I've noticed. I was also missing a nice lounge to hang out. They had a room with nothing much in there which had no flair at all. I've definitely had much better hostels....

The location in the city is good, it is very central. The room (2 bed ensuite) was okay. Negative is that the kitchen is in comparison to the number of guests all too small and also the pots and pans looks dirty. We did not make use of the included pancake breakfast because it was always really crowded in the kitchen and there weren't enough free chairs on the table.

• 20th Nov 2014

The hostel charges a $10 deposit for their plastic key card. I forgot to return it upon my checkout and therefore did not get my deposit back. When I returned home, I sent the hostal a letter, the card, and a prestamped addressed envelope for the return of my deposit. I got no response. A few weeks later I returned to the hostel to claim my deposit and the manager said he didn't recieve my mail. They refused to return my deposit. I even let them know I was going to donate it to a homeless man.

Everything was ok apart from the smell, it was really unpleasant even if the place was clear.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Poland

Good place to stay in san francisco! The hostel is located near to union square and you can get transportation to anywhere in the city. I feel safe in it. I like the room I stayed - there was a ensuite. The staff was pretty helpfull. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the breakfast - only pancakes.

I have stayed at the "European hostel" before staying here and it is safe to say the Amsterdam hostel is at least 4, no, 5, times better. The staff are super nice in Amsterdam where as in European they are rude unhelpful and try to cheat you of money. And the Amsterdam is cheaper.

• 10th Nov 2014

decent place for a few nights. if you get a room facing on to the main road outside it is very noisy. don't count on sleeping after 6am. breakfast is nothing special and kitchen is a fairly chaotic place in morning. good rate on bike hire and fairly central for all tourist activities. would probably stay in a different hostel next time though

I did not like this Hostel. It's dirty, unconfortable, the small is bad inside de rooms. The only good thing is about location, because is pretty close to Union Square.

My friend and I stayed at the Amsterdam hostel in early November. We arrived after a long long day of travelling. All we needed was a shower and sleep. Unfortunately only 50% of these services were provided. There was NO hot water for over 24hrs. We politely raised the issue several times throughout our stay, but to no avail. It was only after we threatened to leave that there was some progress on the issues. I only recommend staying here if you want an unpredictable experience.

Nice hostel in the center of SF. I can´t complain.

Cheap hostel with very good location, and nice area. Just a few difficulties to access with suitcase.

So much better than San Francisco International Hostel but still it is a mediocre one. Good part is that the rooms have a bathroom.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Turkey

Staff did care about anyone's needs or won't simple info about the city was " I don't know " one min. I need to text my friend . NOT KIDDING " wtf " do not stay there . Plase smell of pot the hole time I was there . Ok I get it Amsterdam hostel . But come on put the weed down and see why there NO HOT WARTER IN THE PLACE ! Cold showers all the Time I was there if I could have got my money back I would have but pay up fringbno refunds . This place sucked

Great hostel! The staff was super flexible and super nice. You could check out at any time.

• 24th Oct 2014
  • Puerto Rico

It was depend on what kind of hostel you prefer. They dont have much great facility for cooking, not much room for social activities. but it made you spend more time knowing and hanging out with your roommate or some new friends you just met.

• 23rd Oct 2014
  • Taiwan

Location was fab and it was cheap. However place very very outdated and dirty, pretty sure I got bed bugs here. Showering facilities poor. For the money I suppose this hostel lies at the bottom end of what you would expect. Still a great location from which to explore SF

• 20th Oct 2014

this is very place to meeting travelers ,i had good time ,expect bed,,bed is suck .i could don't sleep.

Teally liked the all-day coffee and the pancakes!

• 19th Oct 2014