Anker Hostel Reviews

Storgata 55, N-0182 Oslo, Oslo, Norway

The location and staff were excellent! There was something off with the atmosphere; being huge for a hostel it lacked the friendliness and relaxed attitude of other visitors. Good for people who want something practical.

• 16th May 2015
  • Mexico

The good thing in this hostel is the location, but that's it. You need to rent there linens and towel. And it lacks the hostel atmosphere.

Deposits for kitchen utensils/lack of common kitchen was kind of silly.

Everything was very nice! clean room and friendly staff. and close to the center.

Take out kitchens from the rooms, leave just bathrooms then.

Still strikingly expensive for a hostel, but I know this is Oslo prices

• 5th May 2015

I had a good time at Anker Hostel. All the staff were friendly and helpful. People were very sociable down at the reception/lounge area. I wish there was a communal kitchen as there were only small kitchenettes in each dorm room. However the individual kitchen boxes provided were a real novelty!!

Very nice and helpful staff, located closely to main train station and all the attractions:) Highly recommended:)

• 24th Apr 2015

My only concern is related to security. The room was quite hot and I opened one of the windows, but it was just the by the street behind the building, quite easy for someone to sneak in the room... although I did not have any problems (just a little bit noisy on Saturday after 2am!), I think that could be improved.

Very easy really Enjoyed

The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating and it was close to public transport and good sight-seeing areas, but the hostel itself once you walked past the reception felt kinda dingy. It felt like I was in an old dorm at a college that was in serious need of renovation. They also charge you for whatever they can, from sheets and towels (although this is typical for towels) to using the luggage room. Like the people, but I'd think twice about staying there again.

The location is excellent, right on the edge of Grunerlokka, a five minute walk from Central Station, and ten minute from Karl Johans. Some of the staff were a touch rude and it was difficult to get their attention at front desk, but I had a mostly positive experience. I would probably stay there again if I were returning to Oslo, just because of location and the price.

• 28th Mar 2015
  • Scotland

Quite expensive compared to other Hostels I've stayed, but completely acceptable by Norwegian standard. It was strange that the kitchenette is in the dorm but it didn't bother me too much. Staff are very friendly and helpful if you engage them (Norwegians don't seem to be big on small talk).

I have stayed 2 nights at Anker Hostel. I got impression during my staying that the hostel only require to travelers and do not consider our feeling and convenient. No lockers in room, totally not enough shower room and toilet qt'y compare with customer number. Various aditional payments to rent something.. However they warning many things. "Do not ~", "No guarantee ~", "You will be fined NOK X00, if you are doing ~".. And the staff was really not friendly neither.

I was not impressed with the setup of this hostel versus others I have stayed in. Having a bathroom and shower in each room is good, but to cook you need to check out a set of dishes, most of which do not even have a cutting knife of board. It seems red oculus to have to cook dinner and breakfast when room mates may still be sleeping, also awkward to cook in the bed room. The location seems good, easy walk to the train station and right along the river that runs through oslo

Overly unimpressed with this Hostel especially for the price. Rooms and washrooms were unclean and power points in the rooms did not work.

Great hostel, shared rooms are big and clean. The shower is amazing, good temperature and pressure (not many hostels have good showers). The only bad thing is the street is a bit doggy at night time, but the location is excellent, only 10min walking from the main street and central station. Totally recomended!

For the amount you pay it is a terrible hostel. You get nickel and dime'd for everything. Want bed sheets? 8 dollars extra. Want to use your kitchen? You have to pay for any type of silverware or dish use. Want a locker? That'll be extra, and requires a specific type of lock that they'll be happy to give you for an additional ten dollars. Just really unpleasant. Sure its norway, it'll be pricey, but this was like the most guest-unfriendly place I have stayed in Europe.

• 24th Feb 2015

Good location but we needed better directions as was difficult to find. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 13th Feb 2015

No lockers in the rooms and the rooms are VERY warm. The staff are not super helpful - when I asked if they knew how to get to a certain airport their answer was to say 'maybe there is a train' & to look up a website. Atmosphere is average but location is good. I'd stay here again but it's far from amazing