Anker Hostel Reviews

Storgata 55, N-0182 Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Dear travelers, I usually never leave any review but this time I really had to. To make it short : just avoid that place. Dirty, unsafe, expensive, unfriendly, ... If you have the chance to find another hostel, just go for it. Otherwise, try couch surfing... or anything !

• 26th Sep 2014

Staff seemed unfriendly but were helpful. Hostel is in a good location, ten minute walk from main train station. Not enough power points in room for all guests. Kitchen facilities weren't good, had to pay deposit for pots, pans, cutlery etc (which they did not give us enough of) and cook food in room. Too expensive given the facilities but you won't get much cheaper in Oslo.

it's expensive, but so is everything in oslo. other than that it's a great place, has everything you need for a nice stay!

This is a very good hostel on the periphery of main areas. Clean rooms/linen. Strudy bunk beds. Friendly staff. I'd highly recommend this hostel.

Good place, a ten minute walk from the station (albeit in the "wrong" direction, away from downtown and the fjord). We had an 8-bed ensuite dorm - and the bathroom was excellent. All in all, I'd definitely stay there again.

Worse! Bad experience! When I came in the middle of the night, there was someone in my bed. Reception gave room to guests which was already full, so other took my bed, since i wasn't there yet. I had to argue with another guest at 1 am! After told the receptionists, she didn't even say sorry! She answered our questions with cold face. Terrible! Pricey! No locker, no common kitchen, no personal bed light, limited electric sockets in room, pay extra for linens. WON'T RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!

Having stayed in a number of great hostels around the world this one was pretty underwhelming, and not unique. It's in a good location though and not overly expensive for Norway in comparison to other places.

Terrible facilities, no proper kitchen, one toilet for eight people in one room, TERRIBLE internet, staff is not very helpful... Very bad hostel. You neef to pay for EVERYTHING! Located in a not very safe area full of junkies.

This was our first stop on a 6 week journey. We had a fine stay. Nothing great and I would say that cleanliness could be improved. With that said, it was safe and provided us a fine place to crash.

Located centrally, 10 mins walking distance from Oslo Sentrum station and the bus station, Anker Hostel provides value for money given the prime location. I was given an ensuite dorm in an 8 bed room, the room was big and spacious, had a kitchen, and the bathroom was modern. Impressive hostel. Just I do not understand why the hostel changes extra for bed sheets and towels, are people really meant to carry theirs from one hostel to another? Also staff while professional could be bit more friendly

walking distance to the funky neighbourhood (1min), and the port (25min) you can walk all over the city so location doesn't really matter that much. Good pub with cheap food around the corner 'Sara's Pub'. Staff generally not that helpful with directions or things to do and see. The lock on my room door didn't work, and there seemed to be a lot of people over 50 staying in my room which wasn't cool. Bed was comfy, wifi was good, not all beds had power points. hard to meet others if solo

Because of overbooking we got transferred to the anker apartments further outside.

OK location, good communal area and decent kitchen facilities within each room. Bathroom is small and it's hard to shower without getting everywhere else wet, however there is a daily cleaner for the bathroom which is good. Security is questionable as the doors don't always lock automatically when you leave the room and this isn't made obvious so be aware - there are no lockers for your valuables. OK value for money, there are supermarkets nearby which is handy too. Quiet, low key atmosphere.

more like a hotel, no social atmosphere staff are rubbish, they dont seem to know anything

My granddaughter and I booked a private room for two. Staff person put us in a room for 4, so we had a large spacious room to ourselves. Lots of windows. Bright and cheery. Plenty of storage. Didn't like Asian style bathroom, shower flooding the entire bathroom, making it sloppy and wet to use the bathroom afterwards. Beds very comfortable, slike sleeping on a cloud. No real common area, just some chairs in the lobby. Handy location right across from bus stop.

The kitchen is inside the room witch can be a problem between people. The staff in the hostel is not friendly at all. They have a terrible face even more a guy why have a grey hair. And the hostel is too expensive. But is clean is well located.

I didn't like this hostel. It was worn there, and not many toilets. I slept in a room for 6 persons, which all had to share ONE toilet and shower (both in same room), and the minimal kitchen was placed next to the beds. The staff did not seem to be happy to work there either. Good thing was the security and that it is not too long from the central station. But if you are going to stay more then one night, I recommend you to stay at Anker Apartment instead. It´s so much more fresher than this.

More like a hotel with several people in a room than a hostel. No proper common area, no fun place to gather - just rooms and reception. Though the rooms were great, the staff was helpful, the location (right on the bus and tram lines) was good.

Great location, decent accommodation, I had no issues during my one night stay. The staff was very helpful. It was a bit odd having to pay extra for the bedsheets but I had read it beforehand so was not caught unprepared. The rooms were clean and so was the toilet. Easy to arrive from the Central station, and also very close to markets and shopping area.

The best part about this hostel was the atmosphere. We met so many people sitting in the lobby and drinking beers. The hostel is a bit dirty and the kitchens were disappointing. There are no microwaves or ovens, and you have to rent cooking supplies. The staff was really friendly and helpful! I would NOT recommend the bar crawl. It was a total scam. For 25 euros they took us to a few empty, crappy bars after advertising "the best clubs in Oslo" and we got one watered down terrible shot.