Anker Hostel Reviews

Storgata 55, N-0182 Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Convenient location and clean and comfortable although a touch institutional. Free maps and information but there were not enough city brochures in English. The common area wasn't really spacious enough for such a large hostel but it is about the cheapest hostel in Oslo and good value for the price

Hostel was a bit underwhelming. You have to pay for your linens and get a towel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The kitchen just has a hot plate and a mini fridge. I wish there had been a microwave or something to allow you to eat an actual meal.

Impossible to rate the staff, as I didn't actually meet any. Accommodation was comfortable but, a bit cramped and there wasn't much privacy. A lounge area would be a nice touch.

• 4th Jun 2015

Friendly staff and not far to walk into Oslo.

There are a few things I like and some I dislike in this hostel. The hostel is well located and the receptionist let me in before 3 o'clock which was nice so I got to choose my bed first and had some privacy, they were kind and helpful, internet works fine. What I dislike: the hostel is located in a very dodgy area, full of gypsies and many other suspicious looking people and there is no bedside lamp, so if you need to pack in the morning you either do it in the dark, or wake everybody up.

Good location that puts you walking distance to everything the City has to offer. Staff is monotonous and lethargic. Other than the loby at the entrance to the hostel, there is no common room that promotes social expierences. Mediocre hostel at best.

I just had an issue with the bed sheets because house keeping took while I was out so another girl had arrived and took my bed cuz she saw it free but at the end we could fix that which was really a big deal, overall it was a good place to stay, very well located and clean, staff was just good enough.

We only stayed for one night before going on a fjords tour. It was easy, good location to walk to centre & station, decent room but VERY noisy. People came in at all times of night and were very inconsiderate when they did (not necessarily the hostels fault although I read the same comment from some other people before our stay). You can park on the street outside overnight if you need parking and in a parking lot under the hostel at other times.

The staff was helpful on directing us to the city and telling us where some attractions were. There is no security in the room, but you can pay for a locker downstairs, we didn't investigate that. The little kitchenette was nice though.

There was no real sense of atmosphere at the hostel which to me is very important. The common area was just reception which wasn't great. No one told me if they had a kitchen or where it was so I had no way to meet people other than in my room and it turned out that everyone in my room was travelling with people (I was travelling alone). Overall I would likely go to another hostel next time! Not a terrible experience but not great.

I lived in another hostel which is also top rated and cheap in Oslo.. But to be honest, compared these two hostels, I strongly recommend this one, even though this one is more expensive. But it's much cleaner and larger. More worthy of the money!

Loved the staff and the accommodations. My only issue was you had to rent bed linens if you didn't have your own, but they weren't expensive. Overall great experience!

Besides looking like a prison, Anker hostel can be recognise for the lack of empathy from the stuff. It has a rule which makes you pay 50KN for sheets and you can't bring sleeping bag, in other words: you have to pay extra 50 even though you already paid your stay. They also try to get more money with locker rooms. I have been in several hostels and this service is usually for free, here you have a mini locker if you bring your own lock or you have to pay a hour in bigger ones, expensive ones.

• 29th May 2015
  • Portugal

I needed to pay for line bed (I read before all the information about the hostel and I didn't read that ).If you dont pay,you have a fine.Have no lockers in your room(you have in reception floor).Have no plugs near your bed.You cant drink alcohol if you bought it outside. The kitchen is inside each room (uncomfortable if you want to sleep por example) and you have to leave deposit for plates,glass,etc....Broken shower. Can you pay for breakfast (60) but its nothing special.Good internet.

The location and value is very good. The staff varied a lot in terms of the information that they gave. Some said that luggage could be checked and then others stated that only if we were checking out. In another case one did not know that there were electronic lockers available. Would be helpful if it was more clearly presented that the lockers are either pay-for-time or bring your own lock.

This hostel had very bad breakfast, i do not recommend you take it. Also the room was about 30celsius and kepth did temprature even when the Windows were open. Not very good valur for your money.

No good location to store luggage in room. More outlets would be helpful, and reading lights for those that arrive late.

Great location, 5 min walk to Central station, clean room, have to pay for bed linin & towels, have to give deposit to use kitchen utensils, no power adapter to charge phone near your bed

So meh, so expensive. I've been around Europe enough to know that Oslo in general is not a good value.

i've stayed at Anker Hostel a few times while working in Oslo, and it's been a good place to stay on those occasions. They may not compare to upscale boutique hostels but they have the basics cowered. Centrally located within walking distance of the bus/train stations and close to the nightlife of Grünerløkka. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The reception/bar area is usually buzzing and a good place to meet fellow travelers. I'm sure I'll be staying there again.