Anker Hostel Reviews

Storgata 55, N-0182 Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Good location, not to far from central station, nice lobby to have a drink and talk with other travellers. Kitchenette is in the room which I found strange. Over all a good hostel.

The room was really dirty (maybe it was some other guest fault) like nobody had cleaned it for weeks. The price payed for two beds in a 8 room, sheets and kitchenware was too high for the quality of things (it would have been cheeper if we'd stayed in a Hotel***).

I stayed for two nights at the Anker Hostel, and for one full day we didn't have any electricity in our room, even though several of us mentioned it to the staff. I had to shower in the dark. And for someone who had to cook in the hostel, the facilities were probably the worst I had on my month-long travels (and it was the only place where I had to pay a deposit to use the cookware).

In Norway I think ia a way to low prices to a budget service, the services arereduced in their quality. So it's the same with this hostel. You pay a lot for an average (low) thing, where we have to pay an extra for the sheets, there were few sockets in the rooms (I think it is an almost essencial thing these days), wi-fi poor (even in the lounge!). Location is near to the station but the zone behind that station is not a welcoming one. But it is also near to the visiting area.

I stayed one night in that hostel. I arrived early and asked for a chance to early check-in but got a response that 'Check-in starts in 3PM!' It would be great that If they could check for a avaliable room first. It is expensive but in Norway everything is expensive. Also reception area is so small that not much avaliable for everyone. Rooms are clean and tidy and bathroom was also so clean. Having a small kitchen idea in every room is a GREAT, but there was no locker in a room.

Good location! Hostel is pretty basic - has everything you would need but nothing more. It's really expensive for a hostel but cheapest you'll find in oslo. No complaints except that it's ridiculous that they charge for sheets (and for so much money!!)

It's the cheapest hostel in Oslo. The 'kitchen' is in the room and effectively useless since there are NO utensils whatsoever. bedding (mandatory) and towels cost extra

It's okay. I'll propably choose the same spot if I'm in Oslo again (which I'm propably never going to do). Prices for the rooms are ok, but you don't get more than you pay for.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Denmark

Hotel feel, reception staff are wonderful Had a bad instance where the bald headed security guard came into the dorm at 4am demanding to see everyone's passports. He didn't check the list he had and totally screwed up and told me that I was not meant to be in the room and I had to get dressed and was told to pack up my gear then escorted me to reception. The receptionist looked at the list that he had and my name was on the bloody list! He totally screwed up. Pissed off totally

Nice place for a couple of nights. The staff provide some good info & you can also buy cheap (for Norway!) beers at the desk. The communal/outdoor area could be a little better, as it seemed to really be just a place where people were waiting to check in or waiting for connections rather than somewhere people hung out & socialised... we did manage to get a group together outside though & was a lot of fun! There are built-in kitchens in the rooms and plenty of shops nearby. Also a tram stop :)

The noisy busy street made sleeping difficult, but other than that it was an decent hostel.

• 30th Jul 2014

Stayed one night. Good location. Crappy wifi. Paid for an 8 bed room, got put into a 10 bed. Apparently they do that a lot.

The hostel was in the perfect place for walking to the Main Street and the train station. The bedroom was clean, although got very hot during the night. Maybe could have done with more information available in reception (in English) regarding local sites, tours etc.

• 29th Jul 2014

we stayed at a 2 bed room. room and the bathroom were quite ok. having refrigerator in the room was a plus. the worst thing was the wifi. since too many people were using it, it was almost impossible to connect during evening. the reception was always very crowded with people checking in, checking out, asking where to eat...and therefore the stuff was quite busy and sometimes tired. although they seem to doing their best, sometimes you may need to wait a lot.

Nice place to stay in Oslo. The proximity of Hausmannsgate gives facilities to go wherever you want. (It is very easy to take buses and trams.) We stayed in an eight people room and did not meet any problem. A towel for each floor bathroom would not have been too much (for the cleanness).

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Belgium
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We were supposed to arrive at 23:00 from Bergen. The train however got delayed and we reached Oslo only at 04:00 next morning. We thought not to go for the hostel and cancel booking as we had Bus from to Göteborg at 07:30. For three hours we did not want to spend more money and asked for cancellation which was refused stating that cancellation can happen only in 24 hours in advance. That is agreeable but for our case it was due to train delay. For such cases, there should be a discount

I asked for a kitchenette in my bedroom, but there was only a fridge.

• 21st Jul 2014

Not too expensive, environment is fine, 7 minutes by walk from the main train station, easy to find, just follow the tram way.

Stayed for 2 nights. The location is 10 mins away from Oslo train station, the area is little bit dodgy but nothing to worry about. The staff were ok, quite curt but quite helpful at times. The dorm we stayed in (8 bed) was quite standard, lacked some cleanliness to be honest. Weird to find a kitchen in our room however, but otherwise there is a small shared kitchen people can use. Need to put a deposit down for kitchen utensils which was annoying. Common area is small so lacked atmosphere.

Sketchy area- I would avoid this hostel if you have another option. It just felt dirty... The rooms, the beds, the bathrooms.. Everything. No lockers in rooms, and one roomie brought home a dude to sleep with- makes me feel like my stuff is secure.. Not! I didn't stay out past 9 as I was afraid to walk home any later. Bathroom was loud and gross- had to mop after shower. At least the room was pretty big and there was a small kitchen.