Arena Hostel Hamburg Reviews

Fangdieckstrasse 20, Hamburg, Germany

if you like the feel of dentist offices this is your place!! it really is absolutely clean and most definitely out of the way (relatively speaking... only 20 minutes on S-bahn to anywhere which is 3 euro each way which isn't that bad in big cities, but hamburg isn't that big...). about a 15 minute walk through not-so-charming office buildings to the grocery store.

Cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in, everything felt new! Bit far away from the centre and a little expensive but otherwise good.

Location was far from the city, but a safe quiet part of Hamburg 3-4 minutes walk from Eidlestedt station. Although we did not visit it, it was also a short bus ride from the Hamburg Zoo.

• 20th Jun 2014

really modern hostel and great facilities. the staff were super helpful and nice ! very clean and the rooms were great :)

Nice hostel. Friendly staff, clean rooms and bath etc. The location is little bit distance away from the main tourist attractions but since there is a metro next the the hostel it's not a big matter. Generally everything was good.

The hostel location wasn't ideal since you had to travel a ways from the main part of the city where everything was happening. But the staff was kind and helpful, the rooms were smaller dorms (we had 4 people) and the place was in a quiet location, which is nice when you'd like a good night's sleep. There was a spot where people could cook and store their food, and though I didn't use this location, it looked nice. There's a computer free for use, and lockers, key included, for each person.

Extremely good value for money, but if you arrive at Hamburg HBF you need to take the subway for about 20 minutes, but when you're there it's a lot of shops around and the party street is about 5 minutes away by the metro.

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Norway

Clean, comfortable and quiet hostel- perfect! The staff were fantastic and told us how to get to everything and let us know about a funky eating district, which was cool!. The location is not in the city centre but was SO easy to get to city centre, the port and eating areas by metro which was a 2 minute walk away. Not a party hostel, which I prefer. Had a great stay here

Staff was friendly and helpful. Large, secure lockers. Location is its biggest weakness. There is almost nothing around Arena. I had to walk a mile for an ATM, grocery store, or decent restaurant or take the tram to find those things. The hostel has an institutional feel to it, right down to the plastic flowers. I did not find the bed that comfortable. The 6-bed dorm room was uncomfortably warm; why does it not have oscillating fans? Room fans would definitely help.

I have stayed in many hostels over the last 30 years and have never found one with better facilities - the only negative point is that for a cyclist the six mile ride to the City centre is a little tedious. For a motorist just a few minutes. The staff were very friendly and helpful which made for a most enjoyable stay.

• 16th May 2014

The staff was really helpful and friendly in this hostel. However, a big letdown is that the reception is only available from 11 am to 7 pm. We arrived at 11 am, left our bags there and returned at 11 pm in the evening. Neither in the evening, nor in the morning before our check-out were we able to reach someone, hence we couldn't get the extra towel we paid for. One should make sure to definitely check-in between 2pm and 7pm, otherwise one could run into problems here.

Great clean and quiet place to escape the city. However, if you're a solo traveller I would not venture to this place. I felt like I was in Alfred Hitchcock's, The Shining, as I navigated the empty halls and got to my empty room (it was great feeling like I had the whole building to myself but it was vey unnerving). Even getting to the point where I thought the elevator would unleash litres of blood at the first floor, but alas my fears were not realised. Great place with friends, DO NOT GO SOLO

Staff were lovely Everything was clean Some undesirable people hang outside the building at night though - not so safe

• 5th Apr 2014

Kind staff, comfortable room, quite far away from center but it´s next to a Station. Bad things: heating is quite to high and no place for breakfast at the weekend (there is a bar, but it closes saturday and sunday).