Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Great location for weather, lots of interesting people come through, great music. Breakfast not included, but $7 per breakfast. Food served is descent, cleaning ladies at on top of it and keep place impeccable (constantly emptying trash receptacles, as they ask you throw toilet paper in garbage). Laundry on site for a fee. Good looking staff during week.

Great facilities and location. One of the nicest hostel grounds Ive ever stayed at. The majority of the staff are wonderful, but like another reviewer said, some staff seriously need to check their attitudes. For example, the keycard to my room stopped working late in the night, and reception was closed so I had to figure out other sleep arrangements until morning. Got tons of attitude from the receptionist when i told him. No apology whatsoever, just snarky excuses.

Nice property. Checkin staff was kinda rude. Place was dead and we were hoping for a little more action.

• 14th Apr 2015

Stayed in private room which was basically just a hotel room. Remote controlled AC, spacious bathroom and shower and room. Little more expensive than staying in shared but it was a good choice for that piece of the trip. Very close to town. Nice pool and bar area for socializing. Beers were well priced ($2). Only had one issue in which I added a night and paid cash and they didn't have record of it so my room wouldn't open. They corrected the issue though which was good.

Great hostel, great atmosphere and friendly/helpful staff. The pool was a huge bonus / good way to cool off after a day of hiking / tours. Location was really good. Tours booked through the hostel were expensive compared to what we saw down the road at the various tour companies but everyone that went on one seemed to enjoy it. Food was pricey but local sodas/restaurants close by (~5-10min walk).

• 11th Apr 2015

beds in 3 person tent was uncomfortable, literally a thin mattress on the floor. food was not good. $2 beers from 6-9pm. nice, clean facilities.

• All Male Group, 25-30

Trampoline was broken :( Age average is about 24. Very nice music ;) Breakfast is not included, so the hostel is not really cheap.

• 11th Apr 2015

Really cool place, but no kitchen is a real Pau for travellers especially as the sodas and on site restaurant were very expensive. Has a tiny gym area, hammock area and swimming pool which were nice little perks!

We had an amazing experience with Arenal even before we got there. They were efficient in responding to our emails and helping with transportation and activities! My only suggestion to the staff is to be a little more detailed on the activities they suggest. We were told the day long hike was quite easy and so we were not prepared for the day like we wish we were. The hostel was extremely clean and most of the staff was great, especially Vinny! Location is perfectly close to everything!

I have stayed in a lot of hostels but this one has put them all to shame! Great bar/food area, nice pool, and amazing lawn with hammocks, weights, and a trampoline. My room was very nice and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept on while here in Costa Rica.

There was no kitchen,showed up late with food to cook and ended up having to buy something.

The negative reviews are as much about the town itself as the hostel - it's entirely tour based, and therefore not a good backpacking spot if you like exploring on your own at all. The hostel messed up our reservation but was very nice and put us in a hotel across the street. But after that, the staff was very unhelpful. They have no maps of the area and only direct you to tour companies. When we asked for a taxi company # they gave us someone's home phone #, which was busy. Overall, not great.

As always, when i go there and stayed for a while, i always think that that's the place to go. Because there's no place like other in the area of La Fortuna, where you will feel as home.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Costa Rica

Nice pool, good food and amazing ambiance and people ! We enjoyed our days at the arenal backpacker resort !

• 31st Mar 2015

We were very surprised that there was no kitchen facilities, should have researched it all better! Great atmosphere but some of the members of the staff were quite rude and not helpful at all! You really need to change your attitude guys! Great pool and hang out areas though and very clean and nice. If you need towels, make sure to buy them early because later in the day they were out of towels so we didn't get any which was annoying.

• 28th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Very expensive. More like a hotel than a hostel. Very upscale. If you’re looking for A/C, a swimming pool and all of the amenities then you will like this place. If on the other hand you’re looking for a bargain then you probably won’t. Lots of pretty people, and not your typical backpacker hostel. I’m traveling RTW on the cheap, and found Costa Rica in general to be very expensive, manicured and over-managed compared to southern Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. I

It's hard to call this a hostel at all, I think resort is a better word. Facilities and staff were friendly, the social area get a bit loud and is close to the sleeping quarters (I believe quiet hours begin at 11). My only concern was the lack of locks for the lockers they provide, I asked for one and they were all checked out already....you should really have the same number of locks for available lockers. Overall I would recommend staying here.

The hostel was nice the only thing I did not like was how the staff did not fix a issue I had with my tent. Two zippers from my tent were broken and did not zip up. It took two times for me to ask them to fix it before it actually got fixed. Then they only fixed one zipper not both zippers and I had to tell them two more times to fix the other zipper. The second zipper never got fixed. It was very annoying to have to ask them multiple times to fix the zippers.

Loved it! Great atmosphere and nice people. In a pretty good area, near to hot springs and lots of cool tours. But I would suggest having your own car because the taxis add up very quickly and there is not much stuff walking distance other than some restaurants. The only bad thing was the staff would take forever with one customer and then make everyone else wait, even if you just had a quick question, which was kind of annoying.

I had an amazing time here! The tent was totally worth it, especially because the community bathroom/showers were nice and clean! The atmosphere was great and I felt very safe there as well! I would definitely reccomend others to go there and I would go there again!

• 19th Mar 2015