Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

This place was ideal for everything we needed to do! Such a great value for money and the staff is phenomenal. They helped us to book every excursion that we went on in La Fortuna.

• 26th Aug 2015

The rooms are really clean, the place excels in security. The staff was a bit rude (especially the guy at the reception!) , it seems he doesn't care about you at all, but actually who cares, the place is amazing.. nice bar, nice pool, next to restaurants. The place is a bit far from the hot springs and the volcano, but else you're going to be far from restaurants... It depends what you like.

-The young front desk guy is rude and condescending. Not only with my issue below but I also overheard him tell a girl to "make some friends" to share a locker (uhh?). His overall tone is embarrassing and left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole stay. - We booked 2 beds in a tent to find out that it doesn't actually exist. They push the main bed aside and grab a crappy mattress and set it up. Very misleading and leaves absolutely no room for baggage. - Music from 7am-11pm is a bit much.

• 21st Aug 2015

Great hostel, very clean, well organized and run. Pool area and bar area are up with the best of places I've ever stayed.

• 17th Aug 2015

The staff is very unpersonable and you had to use cash for everything at the hostel. It was also quite expensive for the sparse quality of the dimly lit private room.

• 15th Aug 2015

We emailed to change our booking more than three days in advance but because they took such a long time to get back to us we kept calling to confirm our reservation and the guy on the phone would always tell us ring a different number or say he will call us back later to avoid talking to us. In our room our safe didn't work, there was no remote for the air con and so when the porter came to turn it on he wouldn't leave the control with us so it FREEZING all night and we couldn't change it.

• 14th Aug 2015

Only a 5 minute walk from the centre of town with a great communal area and pool facilities. Room were spacious and clean with good showers and plenty of storage space. The private rooms all had a balcony which was great for drying things after activities. Really handy having a tour representative at the hostel but would have been good to have somewhere to store or prepare your own food.

• 14th Aug 2015

Great hostel, fantastic facilities and very sociable bar area. Clean rooms and lots of bathrooms. I've stayed in lots of hostels around the world and this is definitely one of the best I've ever been to. I definitely recommend it.

• 14th Aug 2015

Arenal Backpackers was a good place to stay. The pool was a great addition. Although, some of the staff members weren't very approachable the other hostel mates made up for the atmosphere. The rooms were clean, but because of the weather and no ventilation in the rooms it smelled terrible. We booked a shuttle with Roy at the front desk. and there was a miscommunication fortunately he was very quick to accidental us. All and all I would stay at arenal backpackers again.

It was a bit frustrating though because they had lost our reservation upon arrival so check in took about 20 minutes and we didn't even get the tent we reserved the first night. We got "upgraded" (which I didn't consider it an upgrade) to a private room. But the lock stuck and was rather tricky to open. When we got our tent it was great! Also we just wanted a taxi to the waterfall but the guy at the desk kept trying to sell us packages. A bit annoying. Nicce hostel, we just got a tad unlucky

No rooms avaible when I arrived

• 10th Aug 2015

My friend and I only stayed here for 2 nights, but we were impressed that our private room had air conditioning! The community space is really nice, complete with a clean pool and a bar that offers food sometimes. It is on the same street as the main strip of the city, which makes it ideal for leaving to find travel agencies, dinner, and shopping. We wish we could have spent another day or so here!

Lonely planet talked wonders about it, but the staff wasn't amicable. Even though the staff was helpful, they would seem bothered when you would ask them. I wouldnt have had a problem their attitudes if the lonely planet guide hadn't talked wonders about them.

• 9th Aug 2015
  • Spain

If you plan on going to La Fortuna you need to stay here! It's outside of town a few minute walk, but with that walk you get a great complex that has a pool, slack line, multiple hammocks, and a basketball court. If I go back to La Fortuna I will definitely stay here!

Our stay was amazing! Any other hostel would disappoint compared to Arenal Backpackers Resort. Thank you for an incredible experience!

• 7th Aug 2015

I was very disappointment in this hostel. I had read great reviews and planned my stay with them ahead of time. As the trip got closer a friend decided to join. I called the hostel to let them know and asked for two beds, they seemed very courtesy and on top of it. When we arrived not only did the room only have one bed, they charged me extra without telling me. I asked to cancel my last night there and they refused to give me my money back and were rude and unprofessional!

Fantastic hostel. Feels more like a hotel rather than a hostel but still has an awesome backpacker vibe. It's the best hostel I've stayed in so far and I've travelled extensively through Asia. Would definitely stay again and in any of their sister hostels (I also stayed in the San Jose one which was awesome).

The tour desk was great and incredibly helpful, but the other staff were far less friendly, with the exception of the bartender. The set up should have meant a social atmosphere but unfortunately, while I was there, most guests seemed more interested in their phones or interacting only with the group they were travelling with.

• 5th Aug 2015

It was a friendly backpacker environment. It had an excellent lounge area for everyone to hangout with a pool. However, the bar did close considerably early: at 10:30PM. The ac was a luxury to have!

• 3rd Aug 2015

Wait pass three to book tours for a better deal. Also I learned that it's cheaper to add things to your tour than to book a $100+ tour that includes four activities. Make friends with a bartender to help you along the way. :) also I noticed that some bartenders not all are super rude. Do not stay in a tent unless you can handle noise. The tents look cool but are not ideal for a good night sleep. La fortuna is an expensive place filled with tourists but there is lots to do. good transportation

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5