Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

I had an amazing time here! The tent was totally worth it, especially because the community bathroom/showers were nice and clean! The atmosphere was great and I felt very safe there as well! I would definitely reccomend others to go there and I would go there again!

• 19th Mar 2015

Great hostel, fun environment. Would absolutely recommend.

It's a 10 minute walk from the central park/town. The entire compound is fenced off, with a buzzer at the gate to enter/exit, but the rooms have huge windows left open during the day (no AC or other fan/ventilation from 10am-10pm). You can easily step thru the window and have access to any of the rooms. There are lockers in the rooms, for your valuables.There is no kitchen, which is quite rare for a hostel. The cafe will allow you to store leftovers/small items in their fridge. pool is great!

Really great stay- will definitely be back

• 15th Mar 2015

Awesome hostel. Good location. Great facilities. It's really noisy though. Don't expect to get much sleep

The ensuite bathroom gives very little privacy, not to mention the lockers are located inside the bathroom, making it very inconvenient. There are no rules about quiet time, it's basically a free for all, meaning parties are raging until sunrise and it's impossible to sleep!

We actually stayed for 5 nights. After the 2nd night our air conditioning was running down the wall with water so they moved us. We wondered why our room had not been cleaned in 2 days so we emailed and asked how often they cleaned, and they said everyday. We stayed 3 more nights and never got our room cleaned at all in 5 days except when we moved to a different room.

• 6th Mar 2015

one of the best places we stayed in ALL of Costa Rica! This includes hotels as well.

• 1st Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Arenal Backpackers resort is an excellent value for the money. There is a great vibe there with the employees, swimming pool, kitchen, and patio area. A group of people and I stayed there for 8 days recently. They all had a great time as well. My only real complaint is that sometimes the music can be a bit annoying. Maybe it's because I don't like reggae that much--I can't say for sure. However, overall, I would give this place a 9.5 out of 10. An awesome place to stay.

We felt as though Arenal Backpackers had a lot to offer but ended falling short. It didn't have a hostel feeling, nor a resort's. The 'bar' was closed by like 10:30 both nights and the average age of the crowd there was probably around 42. The extra mega security was actually kind of annoying as we'd have to buzz and buzz and buzz to try to get in and it seemed like there was never anyone at the front desk to let us in. Comfortable stay nonetheless and great location!

staff short changed me a few times saying they took cash only then gave me back too little in colones. Did the same by 12$ to my friend

• 23rd Feb 2015

All I gotta say about Arenal Backpackers is, if not the best hostel where I have stayed, is on the top 3. Our stay at AB was phenomenal. They have managed to expand the place and make it even better (this was my second time there) The location is prime, close to everything in the town of La Fortuna and just a few km's away from the hot springs and other attractions this beautiful town has to offer.

Second time staying there. Love the place!

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • Sweden

Great place and location! I highly recommend it!

My boyfriend and I loved this hotel. The staff was very friendly, even called our tour for us when they didn't show up on time. They resort had a nice pool, hammocks and a bar/restaurant on site. Our only issue was the fire ants in our room. They were coming in like crazy through our window in the bathroom. Overall, would highly recommend. Fun area with a great amount of diverse tours to do. Check out my pictures from our trip on my blog: http://chasinsunflowers.blogspot.com

While the place is well set up with loads of dorm beds and some private tents my experience was tarnished by the reception staff. They played music loud, im not old this was LOUD like in a club in the communal space where the wifi works and people were trying to sit and read. i could sit in one of their many hammoks away from the noise, but by 10pm when in our dorm room the music is still pumping (mid week) 80% of the hostel were in bed. We asked to turn it down and was told not until 11pm!

If you like the resort kind of thing it was nice. I'm usually not a fan but with the weather over there the pool was a real blessing! There is also lots of hammocks to chill in, it was comfortable! Rooms are cleaned everyday, not a lot of variety of food but it was good. Bathroom and showers were clean too. I know someone who stayed in a private tent and loved it.

Best place to stay in La Fortuna. Close to town/bus station and a short cab ride (or nice 5-6k walk) to the waterfall, cerro chato, and hot springs. Excellent view of Arenal Volcano! Nice social common area, which has food/beverage for purchase as well as a pool, hammocks, and other various outdoor activities. Fully gated with a buzzer to unlock the front gate. There is car packing inside the gate as well. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

Cleanliness, grounds beauty, A/C (for humidity control) and consistent Wifi and helpful front desk staff were amenities that we found of value. Other amenities: the swimming pool, DJ music at night, tv in room and on-site restaurant, were of less value to us. Our requested 2 twin room ended up having a double bed, and lacked some easy amenities (hooks, built in shelving), but was spacious and clean.

• 14th Feb 2015

This hostel really does have a resort feel to it which provides a nice break from all the activities that La Fortuna has to offer. The room I was in was a nice size with comfortable beds and had an ensuite washroom. The food they offered was good and at a reasonable price. Some of the staff were really friendly and helpful while others not so much. My only complaint has to do with the big windows they keep open during the day. You can literally step over and enter the room. My charger was stolen

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6