Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

The facility is beautiful and the grounds are amazing. I made a reservation and had a confirmation email. I showed up and was told that my reservation couldn't be honored because it was less than 24 hours old. I understand this, but there should be some message or popup when booking that let's someone know, not an email with a "your reservation is confirmed!" message. I paid double the cost with no help or apologies from staff. And only cash was accepted. Frustrating.

• 23rd Jul 2014

I have been spoiled by super hostels recently which is why I am giving average points here.

• 22nd Jul 2014

If you want some hot eye candy then definitely go here! The hotel receptionists are the best looking I have ever seen! Also the room had a good TV, but more English channels would have been appreciated.

• 20th Jul 2014

Arenal is a good hostel. Staff at the reception is very snob and wont really help you for things that are not included in the excursions they offer. The place itself is nice, theres a pool, a restaurant/bar. In the dorms, lockers are IN the bathroom... so if someone is showering, you cannot acces your things.

The location was convenient enough to town. The vibe of the place was good -social and laid back. The facilities were mostly clean. The pool was nice. The food was good but a little pricey. The staff was helpful. My only major complaint was the tent. I liked the idea of it - and yes, it was noisy at night but I was expecting that -- but my mattress was COVERED in mold and the small space reeked. It was hard to sleep once I realized what I was sleeping on. Overall, this place was just okay.

Awesome hostel with a good atmosphere! Very clean but the humidity around can sometimes makes the pillows smelly...

This is a great place to stay. I would recommend to anyone going near Arenal.

This hostel had a Warm friendly atmosphere and the pool was a hit with most residents. Although we found the room slightly shabby and expensive for what it was, it did have a nice wide screen TV and air conditioning. The staff, Freddy in particular were great at arranging taxis and tours for us and was fantastic throughout our stay.

• 23rd Jun 2014

The vibe of the hostel was really nice. The reggae music that they had going put me in the right mood. I was sleeping in the tents and it was great because I could hear the sound of the crickets that put me to sleep, very comfortable mattress. However, the wi-fi there is really weak and it should be fix. It was nice of them to also find my wallet when it went missing. I love the nearby town stores and restaurants and the forest that was not far away.

This hostel was extremely nice. The rooms were decent but the common area, bar, and pool were top notch. On a nice sunny day there is no need to even leave that pool. The staff are also very helpful and have any possible activity you want to do in La Fortuna well documented and will provide any info you need.

Great value for your money! Definitely can claim the name "resort" with the pool and lounge area. Just a short walk from everything you need in town. Staff is friendly, honest, and helpful. A note on security: The room keys didn't really work so everyone just resorts to climbing in and out of the room windows.

• 16th Jun 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here! The pool is absolutely sweet, and the overall atmosphere is good fun. Relatively pricey for a dorm bed though. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you value your personal space (The 8 bed dorms should definitely only have 6 beds in them)! Also, the staff were really unhelpful when we asked them how to do things cheaply! For example, we asked for a budget restaurant recommendation and were directed to a restaurant which had nothing cheaper than $20 on the menu.

Great place to stay: clean, safe and lots of activities on in the evenings to meet fellow travellers. Only downside was no kitchen and breakfast wasn't included. Tents, although a great idea, are not reccommended for anyone who doesn't like bugs - many unwanted creatures come up through the floorboards in the night!

Worth the money excellent place! We made lots of friends and had a great time, we'll definitely go back! :)

• 3rd Jun 2014

I thought that this was by far one of the nicest hostels I stayed at during my 3 month trip in Latin America. I think the facilities are superb to most all other hostels. Staying in an 8 bed room it felt like a hostel, but had we stayed in a private it would've felt like a hotel. Definitely worth staying here if you pass through Arenal.

The facilities were very nice and the staff were very helpful. The music playing in the restaurant all day was loud and a little annoying. Otherwise it was a great place to stay.

• 31st May 2014

We had a lovely stay :) Lovely pool, cute and cosy tends, very nice common area, the staff was helpful. The bar/restaurant it's a little expensive though.

Great location and very friendly staff! An excellent place to meet other travellers/ backpackers.

• 27th May 2014

Awesome hostel. We were a bit worried about the tents but they were amazing. Diego was incredibly helpful. They also have great activities every night of the week. Loved every minute here.

Don't be deterred by the tent option; we had a great time in one. They stay dry and cool overnight, locked during the day (you can borrow a padlock), and have power. The place had a very youthful feel with themed parties every night, which can get loud and last well into the night.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4