Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Really helpful staff sorted out a transfer to Tortuguero when our tour company let us down. Stayed in the tents which were really comfortable, although can be subject to some background noise at night as by the pool. Really nice hostel and bar area.

Great hostel but the staff is far too laid back and in cahoots with tourism companies. If you have them book a shuttle DEMAND Greyline (free wifi on) or Interbus. DO NOT let them tell you it's all the same and that shuttles run all day or they will call their friend's crappy service Arenal ABP Tours (which they get a kickback on) and you'll end up on the most uncomfortable ride ever. Be sure to clarify who you want to book through before asking the front desk to book anything on your behalf.

Cool hostel, with hotel facilities. Pool was great, slack line across it even better. It was raining when we were there so couldn't make the most of everything on offer. Dorm was nice, only problem was the lockers were in the bathroom...? So if you need your cash or anything else in your locker you may have to wait. Food was good, shops only a 2min walk if you want to eat elsewhere. This hostel looked better than the other one in town with similar name.

This hostel is awesome. The staff are great and super helpful. They go out of their way to help you, above and beyond. Some people on here complain about the music being too loud, I disagree. Although I wasn't staying next to the pool. If you can squeeze it, try getting a private room which are further away from the bar, less noise. Food great for a hostel, and their drink specials are awesome. They have a great environment which socializing is encouraged but privacy is respected. Staff Great

• 2nd Sep 2014

The staff was so friendly and the atmosphere was great! We stayed in the tent and I would recommend it to anyone! Definitely would stay there again!

• 2nd Sep 2014

Don't stay in the tents if you want to sleep. They're right by the pool and we were kept up by music/partying well past the supposed cut off time... and then woken up by pool antics before the 8am opening.

This place feels like a hostel that's trying very hard to be a large resort, and the result is that it doesn't have that homey friendly feel. The common area always has loud music and there is no kitchen, only a restaurant, and they stop serving food at 9. Though, La fortuna was a ghost town at the time (august), so I guess this is the only place it was really happening in town. Still had a good experience though, but this is more like a party hostel.

A beautiful place to base your trip and one of the cheapest in fortuna. I loved the swimming pool.

Fun enviroment, beautiful surroundings, right in the middle of everything and easy access to all transfers and adventures. Come here totally unplanned and figure out what you want to do when you get here. They have it all!

This place has the best location, friendly staff thats more than willing to assis in a any way they can. Clean, chill vibe.

• 4th Aug 2014
  • crazyguera12

Excellent!! Special Thanks to Alex.

The new section is very quiet and surrounded by great green areas.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Costa Rica

It's a party hostel. It says that quiet time is after 11pm,, but that is not true. If you want to sleep or have quiet before 1 or 1:30 am stay elsewhere. The staff was blasting bass heavy club music until after 1am, (they didn't even start their beer pong game until 11:00/11:30ish) So it's good for late night party but if you have to get up early the next morning you may be better off elsewhere.

• 31st Jul 2014

The facility is beautiful and the grounds are amazing. I made a reservation and had a confirmation email. I showed up and was told that my reservation couldn't be honored because it was less than 24 hours old. I understand this, but there should be some message or popup when booking that let's someone know, not an email with a "your reservation is confirmed!" message. I paid double the cost with no help or apologies from staff. And only cash was accepted. Frustrating.

• 23rd Jul 2014

I have been spoiled by super hostels recently which is why I am giving average points here.

• 22nd Jul 2014

It was OK. We booked a tent with two beds and we received a confirmation email for this, but when we arrived, it was not available. Also, the safe in the room we needed to rent had a broken safe. This room cost more than the tent, but the AC helped to dry our clothes.

• 21st Jul 2014

Just a very good Hostel. Go there if the price is okay for you!

If you want some hot eye candy then definitely go here! The hotel receptionists are the best looking I have ever seen! Also the room had a good TV, but more English channels would have been appreciated.

• 20th Jul 2014

Arenal is a good hostel. Staff at the reception is very snob and wont really help you for things that are not included in the excursions they offer. The place itself is nice, theres a pool, a restaurant/bar. In the dorms, lockers are IN the bathroom... so if someone is showering, you cannot acces your things.

The location was convenient enough to town. The vibe of the place was good -social and laid back. The facilities were mostly clean. The pool was nice. The food was good but a little pricey. The staff was helpful. My only major complaint was the tent. I liked the idea of it - and yes, it was noisy at night but I was expecting that -- but my mattress was COVERED in mold and the small space reeked. It was hard to sleep once I realized what I was sleeping on. Overall, this place was just okay.