Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

The negative reviews are as much about the town itself as the hostel - it's entirely tour based, and therefore not a good backpacking spot if you like exploring on your own at all. The hostel messed up our reservation but was very nice and put us in a hotel across the street. But after that, the staff was very unhelpful. They have no maps of the area and only direct you to tour companies. When we asked for a taxi company # they gave us someone's home phone #, which was busy. Overall, not great.

As always, when i go there and stayed for a while, i always think that that's the place to go. Because there's no place like other in the area of La Fortuna, where you will feel as home.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Costa Rica

Nice pool, good food and amazing ambiance and people ! We enjoyed our days at the arenal backpacker resort !

• 31st Mar 2015

We were very surprised that there was no kitchen facilities, should have researched it all better! Great atmosphere but some of the members of the staff were quite rude and not helpful at all! You really need to change your attitude guys! Great pool and hang out areas though and very clean and nice. If you need towels, make sure to buy them early because later in the day they were out of towels so we didn't get any which was annoying.

• 28th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Very expensive. More like a hotel than a hostel. Very upscale. If you’re looking for A/C, a swimming pool and all of the amenities then you will like this place. If on the other hand you’re looking for a bargain then you probably won’t. Lots of pretty people, and not your typical backpacker hostel. I’m traveling RTW on the cheap, and found Costa Rica in general to be very expensive, manicured and over-managed compared to southern Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. I

It's hard to call this a hostel at all, I think resort is a better word. Facilities and staff were friendly, the social area get a bit loud and is close to the sleeping quarters (I believe quiet hours begin at 11). My only concern was the lack of locks for the lockers they provide, I asked for one and they were all checked out already....you should really have the same number of locks for available lockers. Overall I would recommend staying here.

The hostel was nice the only thing I did not like was how the staff did not fix a issue I had with my tent. Two zippers from my tent were broken and did not zip up. It took two times for me to ask them to fix it before it actually got fixed. Then they only fixed one zipper not both zippers and I had to tell them two more times to fix the other zipper. The second zipper never got fixed. It was very annoying to have to ask them multiple times to fix the zippers.

Loved it! Great atmosphere and nice people. In a pretty good area, near to hot springs and lots of cool tours. But I would suggest having your own car because the taxis add up very quickly and there is not much stuff walking distance other than some restaurants. The only bad thing was the staff would take forever with one customer and then make everyone else wait, even if you just had a quick question, which was kind of annoying.

I had an amazing time here! The tent was totally worth it, especially because the community bathroom/showers were nice and clean! The atmosphere was great and I felt very safe there as well! I would definitely reccomend others to go there and I would go there again!

• 19th Mar 2015

Great hostel, fun environment. Would absolutely recommend.

It's a 10 minute walk from the central park/town. The entire compound is fenced off, with a buzzer at the gate to enter/exit, but the rooms have huge windows left open during the day (no AC or other fan/ventilation from 10am-10pm). You can easily step thru the window and have access to any of the rooms. There are lockers in the rooms, for your valuables.There is no kitchen, which is quite rare for a hostel. The cafe will allow you to store leftovers/small items in their fridge. pool is great!

Really great stay- will definitely be back

• 15th Mar 2015

Awesome hostel. Good location. Great facilities. It's really noisy though. Don't expect to get much sleep

The ensuite bathroom gives very little privacy, not to mention the lockers are located inside the bathroom, making it very inconvenient. There are no rules about quiet time, it's basically a free for all, meaning parties are raging until sunrise and it's impossible to sleep!

We actually stayed for 5 nights. After the 2nd night our air conditioning was running down the wall with water so they moved us. We wondered why our room had not been cleaned in 2 days so we emailed and asked how often they cleaned, and they said everyday. We stayed 3 more nights and never got our room cleaned at all in 5 days except when we moved to a different room.

• 6th Mar 2015

one of the best places we stayed in ALL of Costa Rica! This includes hotels as well.

• 1st Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Great place, very clean, lots of showers, amazing pool & beautiful hammock garden with view on the volcano. It's a big hostel so it's easy to meet people (as long as they are willing to get off their phones). Booked 2 nights and ended up staying 4 nights.

Arenal Backpackers resort is an excellent value for the money. There is a great vibe there with the employees, swimming pool, kitchen, and patio area. A group of people and I stayed there for 8 days recently. They all had a great time as well. My only real complaint is that sometimes the music can be a bit annoying. Maybe it's because I don't like reggae that much--I can't say for sure. However, overall, I would give this place a 9.5 out of 10. An awesome place to stay.

We felt as though Arenal Backpackers had a lot to offer but ended falling short. It didn't have a hostel feeling, nor a resort's. The 'bar' was closed by like 10:30 both nights and the average age of the crowd there was probably around 42. The extra mega security was actually kind of annoying as we'd have to buzz and buzz and buzz to try to get in and it seemed like there was never anyone at the front desk to let us in. Comfortable stay nonetheless and great location!

staff short changed me a few times saying they took cash only then gave me back too little in colones. Did the same by 12$ to my friend

• 23rd Feb 2015