Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Pay in Dollars, by law in Costa Rica, when you pay in any business, the exchange rate will always be the amount provided by the Banco Central, it does not matter where in the country you are... I registered on the 2/10, on that day the exchange rate was ₡544.68 per $1USD. They charged me the dollar at ₡ 550; when I complain about ti they told me that I should not expect for them to change the rates daily. Well, by law they have to. I was overcharged a little over a $1, but is the principle.

• 10th Feb 2015
  • Costa Rica

What A great place to stay!!! There is a Great pool and this hostel is close to town so you can walk everywhere. the only downside is there are a ton of young people who party late into the night and then wake everyone else up in the dorms. So maybe a private room would be better!

1. I booked a double bed private room and I emailed the hostel to confirm it would be a room with a view of the volcano. The day of check-in, I confirmed at 11am that it would also have a view (which is why I paid a premium), and then we return from an excursion and the room given to us is a view of the building next to us. They didn't even apologize, and offered instead to put us in a TENT! Very unprofessional. Only good thing about the hostel is the kitchen staff who were SUPER helpful.

• 9th Feb 2015

All in all this wasn't my best hostel experience. Music was way to loud, the people at the front hung up on me the before I got there to verify my emails were sent and they had no idea I was even coming. Wasn't to impressed.

• 9th Feb 2015

Room was not clean. Shower area was mouldy and damp- Tap did not work properly. Not enough outside chairs, not just at the pool but around the grounds. Bed pillows need replacing. Mattress worn out. Very over-rated. Reception did not have record of my reservation or deposit at first. Blamed problem on former manager. Hotel staff were fine and helpful otherwise. Kitchen staff and service very good.

• 7th Feb 2015

The facilities were beautiful, staff friendly and the whole place felt very secure. This was not among my favorite hostels because it is so big that I found it hard to meet and get to know people (only because you never necessarily ran into them more than once!). The bar was convenient, the staff were super helpful in booking activities and transportation, and pool was a lovely perk. My room was clean, albeit bare with only a bed and TV stand, no shelves or hooks for towels. I'd recommend it.

Very nice hostel with good facilities and a good location with helpful staff. However we booked a two bed tent only to be told that they don't provide two bed tents but they can put a mattress on the floor for one person to sleep on which is unacceptable considering they advertised a two bed tent and we paid for a two bed tent not one with double bed.

• 7th Feb 2015

This was one of the coolest hostels I've stayed at. The facilities are amazing, the food is pretty decent, and the location is great. I met some great people in my 3 day stay here. The rooms have AC, and the water is hot. Overall, super awesome hostel.

Realy nice hostel, amazing facilities and staff! The only problem was that the cleaners came in every day and moved our stuff off our beds to change the sheets and threw away everything they thought was rubbish including my bag of dirty laundry! If you pay for a bed and leave things tidy the cleaners should not go through your stuff!!

Great stay,! The customer is what prevented me from giving them a higher score. Only one person at the desk. After a long day of travel it took, I had to wait over 30 minutes to get attended to :( Great atmosphere, breakfast is outstanding (egg omelet). A little walk the main area.

The hostel is really more like an resort. The private rooms are rather basic but still very good. The entire property is ver well looked after and really great. The rates for the rooms are absolutely ok. However, the prices for food were not very hostel like. Breakfast for 7 USD and main dishes for around 10 USD is about the price range of the local restaurants.

Bed buggs in the dorm!! And no money back or help! Not nice! We booked a jeep-boat-jeep tour to monteverde and the driver tries to cheat on us (not the first time in la fortuna)...the guy from the reception helps him! Thats not ok because normally guests trust the hotel guys...

Nice hostel with a pool, clean dorms and bathrooms. Unfriendly staff, no shared kitchen, food/drinks/activities are very expensive. They say they are a 5star hostel and they are: clean, big, pool, expensive and arrogant.

Loved this hostel.. Rooms were great and clean with aircon! Pool and chill out area was lush and staff friendly and helpful. Great views would definitely recommend this place!

No hot water in our private room. The hot handle in the sink was non moveable. You DO NOT have to book tours through the hostel. You can go directly to the places or book them yourself(cheaper). Not our favourite stay but it didn't help the weather wasn't great

• 30th Jan 2015

Close to restaurants and the bus station. Has a pool which is not common for hostels. Cozy reception area with comfortable mats. But it's still a hostel after all. So don't forget to bring your own towel.

Very nice and clean place.

The tent were too much wet cause of humidity during the night....:-(

We had a great time at Arenal Backpacker Hostel. The room are clean and the staff are very helpful and nice. For us, security and cleanliness are very important. They surpass our expectation. The only thing we ask is that if they can fix up the kitchen, it will be perfect. We were trying to fix up a cup of hot coffee in the morning and will have to use Microwave oven to heat up dome water. Other than that, we have no concern or issue and will definitely to come back if we are in the area.

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Overall, my girlfriend and I enjoyed our stay at ABR. Our room was clean and the bathrooms were very clean, the pool was cleaned daily. Property is gated and is a short, well-lit walk into La Fortuna. Lounge area was pretty nice and a great place to meet others each evening, however there is a very limited amount of food/drink available for purchase as implied by the hostel description. Also, A/C in our room did not work and you could feel the springs in the mattress. Would stay again.