Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

staff short changed me a few times saying they took cash only then gave me back too little in colones. Did the same by 12$ to my friend

• 23rd Feb 2015

All I gotta say about Arenal Backpackers is, if not the best hostel where I have stayed, is on the top 3. Our stay at AB was phenomenal. They have managed to expand the place and make it even better (this was my second time there) The location is prime, close to everything in the town of La Fortuna and just a few km's away from the hot springs and other attractions this beautiful town has to offer.

Second time staying there. Love the place!

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • Sweden

Great place and location! I highly recommend it!

My boyfriend and I loved this hotel. The staff was very friendly, even called our tour for us when they didn't show up on time. They resort had a nice pool, hammocks and a bar/restaurant on site. Our only issue was the fire ants in our room. They were coming in like crazy through our window in the bathroom. Overall, would highly recommend. Fun area with a great amount of diverse tours to do. Check out my pictures from our trip on my blog: http://chasinsunflowers.blogspot.com

While the place is well set up with loads of dorm beds and some private tents my experience was tarnished by the reception staff. They played music loud, im not old this was LOUD like in a club in the communal space where the wifi works and people were trying to sit and read. i could sit in one of their many hammoks away from the noise, but by 10pm when in our dorm room the music is still pumping (mid week) 80% of the hostel were in bed. We asked to turn it down and was told not until 11pm!

If you like the resort kind of thing it was nice. I'm usually not a fan but with the weather over there the pool was a real blessing! There is also lots of hammocks to chill in, it was comfortable! Rooms are cleaned everyday, not a lot of variety of food but it was good. Bathroom and showers were clean too. I know someone who stayed in a private tent and loved it.

Best place to stay in La Fortuna. Close to town/bus station and a short cab ride (or nice 5-6k walk) to the waterfall, cerro chato, and hot springs. Excellent view of Arenal Volcano! Nice social common area, which has food/beverage for purchase as well as a pool, hammocks, and other various outdoor activities. Fully gated with a buzzer to unlock the front gate. There is car packing inside the gate as well. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

Cleanliness, grounds beauty, A/C (for humidity control) and consistent Wifi and helpful front desk staff were amenities that we found of value. Other amenities: the swimming pool, DJ music at night, tv in room and on-site restaurant, were of less value to us. Our requested 2 twin room ended up having a double bed, and lacked some easy amenities (hooks, built in shelving), but was spacious and clean.

• 14th Feb 2015

This hostel really does have a resort feel to it which provides a nice break from all the activities that La Fortuna has to offer. The room I was in was a nice size with comfortable beds and had an ensuite washroom. The food they offered was good and at a reasonable price. Some of the staff were really friendly and helpful while others not so much. My only complaint has to do with the big windows they keep open during the day. You can literally step over and enter the room. My charger was stolen

Suits its name: backpacker hostel! Great for meeting people, comfortable beds and clean washrooms, great cozy social area. Staff gave very limited info when we arrived (from basic like how to enter/exit gates and wifi to tours and in-town food options). Check prices in town for tours, those in the hostel seemed a bit high and inflexible ;) No kitchen - there is a mini Cafe to buy from. Location is good and central, security feels solid and safe for your things.

Awesome place! Little ways away from everything we needed but it still was an amazing place! Super clean and friendly staff. Awesome security as well.

Pay in Dollars, by law in Costa Rica, when you pay in any business, the exchange rate will always be the amount provided by the Banco Central, it does not matter where in the country you are... I registered on the 2/10, on that day the exchange rate was ₡544.68 per $1USD. They charged me the dollar at ₡ 550; when I complain about ti they told me that I should not expect for them to change the rates daily. Well, by law they have to. I was overcharged a little over a $1, but is the principle.

• 10th Feb 2015
  • Costa Rica

What A great place to stay!!! There is a Great pool and this hostel is close to town so you can walk everywhere. the only downside is there are a ton of young people who party late into the night and then wake everyone else up in the dorms. So maybe a private room would be better!

1. I booked a double bed private room and I emailed the hostel to confirm it would be a room with a view of the volcano. The day of check-in, I confirmed at 11am that it would also have a view (which is why I paid a premium), and then we return from an excursion and the room given to us is a view of the building next to us. They didn't even apologize, and offered instead to put us in a TENT! Very unprofessional. Only good thing about the hostel is the kitchen staff who were SUPER helpful.

• 9th Feb 2015

All in all this wasn't my best hostel experience. Music was way to loud, the people at the front hung up on me the before I got there to verify my emails were sent and they had no idea I was even coming. Wasn't to impressed.

• 9th Feb 2015

Room was not clean. Shower area was mouldy and damp- Tap did not work properly. Not enough outside chairs, not just at the pool but around the grounds. Bed pillows need replacing. Mattress worn out. Very over-rated. Reception did not have record of my reservation or deposit at first. Blamed problem on former manager. Hotel staff were fine and helpful otherwise. Kitchen staff and service very good.

• 7th Feb 2015

The facilities were beautiful, staff friendly and the whole place felt very secure. This was not among my favorite hostels because it is so big that I found it hard to meet and get to know people (only because you never necessarily ran into them more than once!). The bar was convenient, the staff were super helpful in booking activities and transportation, and pool was a lovely perk. My room was clean, albeit bare with only a bed and TV stand, no shelves or hooks for towels. I'd recommend it.

Very nice hostel with good facilities and a good location with helpful staff. However we booked a two bed tent only to be told that they don't provide two bed tents but they can put a mattress on the floor for one person to sleep on which is unacceptable considering they advertised a two bed tent and we paid for a two bed tent not one with double bed.

• 7th Feb 2015

This was one of the coolest hostels I've stayed at. The facilities are amazing, the food is pretty decent, and the location is great. I met some great people in my 3 day stay here. The rooms have AC, and the water is hot. Overall, super awesome hostel.