Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Realy nice hostel, amazing facilities and staff! The only problem was that the cleaners came in every day and moved our stuff off our beds to change the sheets and threw away everything they thought was rubbish including my bag of dirty laundry! If you pay for a bed and leave things tidy the cleaners should not go through your stuff!!

Great stay,! The customer is what prevented me from giving them a higher score. Only one person at the desk. After a long day of travel it took, I had to wait over 30 minutes to get attended to :( Great atmosphere, breakfast is outstanding (egg omelet). A little walk the main area.

The hostel is really more like an resort. The private rooms are rather basic but still very good. The entire property is ver well looked after and really great. The rates for the rooms are absolutely ok. However, the prices for food were not very hostel like. Breakfast for 7 USD and main dishes for around 10 USD is about the price range of the local restaurants.

Bed buggs in the dorm!! And no money back or help! Not nice! We booked a jeep-boat-jeep tour to monteverde and the driver tries to cheat on us (not the first time in la fortuna)...the guy from the reception helps him! Thats not ok because normally guests trust the hotel guys...

Nice hostel with a pool, clean dorms and bathrooms. Unfriendly staff, no shared kitchen, food/drinks/activities are very expensive. They say they are a 5star hostel and they are: clean, big, pool, expensive and arrogant.

Loved this hostel.. Rooms were great and clean with aircon! Pool and chill out area was lush and staff friendly and helpful. Great views would definitely recommend this place!

No hot water in our private room. The hot handle in the sink was non moveable. You DO NOT have to book tours through the hostel. You can go directly to the places or book them yourself(cheaper). Not our favourite stay but it didn't help the weather wasn't great

• 30th Jan 2015

Close to restaurants and the bus station. Has a pool which is not common for hostels. Cozy reception area with comfortable mats. But it's still a hostel after all. So don't forget to bring your own towel.

Very nice and clean place.

The tent were too much wet cause of humidity during the night....:-(

We had a great time at Arenal Backpacker Hostel. The room are clean and the staff are very helpful and nice. For us, security and cleanliness are very important. They surpass our expectation. The only thing we ask is that if they can fix up the kitchen, it will be perfect. We were trying to fix up a cup of hot coffee in the morning and will have to use Microwave oven to heat up dome water. Other than that, we have no concern or issue and will definitely to come back if we are in the area.

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Overall, my girlfriend and I enjoyed our stay at ABR. Our room was clean and the bathrooms were very clean, the pool was cleaned daily. Property is gated and is a short, well-lit walk into La Fortuna. Lounge area was pretty nice and a great place to meet others each evening, however there is a very limited amount of food/drink available for purchase as implied by the hostel description. Also, A/C in our room did not work and you could feel the springs in the mattress. Would stay again.

Although the front staff was so-so, the rest of this place was amazing. It's super safe outside with a large fence and a buzzer to get in and out. We stayed in a private double, so I can't say anything about the safety inside the dorms room. The lounge area there were comfy couches and the high tables and chairs worked well for games! Overall, super great place that felt like I could easily be paying for hotel prices.

• 16th Jan 2015

only thing what could be improved was facilities - there was no kitchen for preparing the meal by ourselves and no possibility to order the breakfest. Everithing else was just perfect!

It's a really nice hostel. It's a bit far and uphill from the main town area, but it's not too bad. The staff were meh. The room was good and clean (private room w washroom). They have a really nice pool. Food a bit expensive. Great place overall. the only thing is that it can be VERY loud at night because the people at the bar party quite a bit. But what can you do, it's a backpacker's hostel.

So for the 2 out of 3 nights we were constantly disturbed throughout the night by construction. We stayed in room 8 and the hostel decides to have construction done to room 7 during the nights! All night! I went out to speak with the workers and they could do anything about it. Hostel was great, but the intelligence to do construction a night was poor. It really sucked hearing workers bang away all night. I sleep pretty nice and shitty.

no kitchen, a lot of party so beware of the noise ! great place to have fun

The most experience of my life. Its imposible to sleep. Too much noise. The staff doesn't care of their custumer. No security in the night to calm the party people.

• 9th Jan 2015

Arenal Backpackers was great. My only precaution would be to let people know that a shared bathroom situation could mean that the bathroom is on a different floor, and shared with multiple people, not just another room.

Slept on a tent, which I probably wouldn't do again but it wasn't awful either. 11pm noise curfew not enforced. It's a gated hostel which got annoying. Staff not very interactive with hostel members or enthusiatic to help which I found surprising based on the many other hostels I've been too (maybe its a Costa Rican thing). No kitchen or fridge which was a major thumbs down. Wouldn't stay here again. Lots of facilities (mini gym, pool, basketball) More suited for super young and party goers.