Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

It was so lovely! Dont look like a hostel, feeling like a very good hotel. Great staff, absolutly clean and with so many lovely details. And a nice Pool for chilling, absolutly great!

The pool and swim-up bar was quite nice - the bar was provide-your-own alcohol, so you could either cheaply purchase alcohol in town or buy a drink from the bar and bring it over to the pool. The hammocks and trampoline were also lots of fun, the lockers for tent-stayers were large enough to store all our belongings, and the showers had good water pressure and water temperature. The only thing missing was a communal kitchen.

The place was great, really clean and new. My issue was with booking on this website. We told when we arrived that all bookings had to be done 48hours prior to arriving but the website lets you enter dates for the following day, takes your deposit and sends you confirmation that you have a reservation for said dates. So we'd booked to stay in the tent but ended up in a dorm. Apart from that the hostels cool

Our plan was to stay in Arenal for 3 nights, but we loved the hostel and tre people so we ended up staying for a week. Great to have a pool to have pool parties in during happy hour ;)

• 7th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Nothing bad to say execpt that matress in the individual room with shared bathroom is bad. Other matress are way better. This hostel have all you need to a thinkfree stay and the restaurant is good and cheap! A must book place! We saw many backpacker being told they were soldout for them to stay.

My favourite stay! I loved it here and no other places compared. I was travelling on my own and this hostel was my first stop. I was made to feel at ease and welcome straight away. The guys working there were great! The location and the tours on offer were brilliant and I had so so much fun!

Best Backpackers Resort ever

We had a double room with shared bathroom. It was quite small and had no view on the pool as all the dorms. But anyways, a very nice hostel, more like a hotel :-)

Beautiful hostel!!!! Amazing sunset view just from outside the room. Bus stop very close and in a few minutes you get to the beach of Manuel Antonio. Great room, clean with tv and full kitchen. Good atmosphere too, not a party hostel but people from all over the world stay there. Great choice!

I never went there. I changed my plans

Great location in walking distance to downtown. Fun pool but the swim up bar is not reAlly anything special travelled there with 6 friends and we shared a room together which was great. Front desk was helpful.

I paid $40/ night for a private room. The room didn't have it's own anything... sink, toilet, shower... It was just a bed in a room! I found a huge cockroach (dead) that wasn't there when I got there which was somewhat disheartening. It was also on the second floor so you can imagine that every night I had to go down a large flight of stairs whenever I had to pee. I really don't think it's worth this price at all for this location which is away from the strip and the lack of amenities.

• 16th Feb 2014

If you want peace and quiet when you sleep, this is not the place for you. They play loud music with the bass pumping until 11 pm. The hostel is for young party folks, so they were running around drunk making a lot of noise. It was also hot and they don't turn the air conditioning on until 10 pm. The window is broken, which was a blessing if you forgot your key, but not great for security reasons. They have two front desk guys - 1 is friendly and nice and the other is moody and not helpful.

This was our first experience with hostels in Costa Rica. Everything was great and the staff were very helpful. The atmosphere was really nice and the pool was a good amenity. We would highly recommend this place for anyone.

• 10th Feb 2014

Great place for what I needed. Nothing fancy for the room, but very clean. Staff were helpful and attentive when needed.

• 8th Feb 2014

We had a very comfortable stay! Very tasty fruit shakes ;-)

Great helpful staff, good food and clean rooms. Overall a great place to stay.

The reviews make this seem like a mini-Eden, and truthfully it's only above-average. The shared rooms are stuffy, the tents offer no privacy, and a private room costs as much as a hotel would, but again with less privacy. Compared to the hostel at which we stayed in Nosara, this one is satisfactory and nothing more. Location is good though, it's safe, and the staff is excellent. It's close to a great Italian Restaurant too (of course I forgot the name). For a night, Id recommend it.

• 26th Jan 2014

The location was great. We loved having food and beverage options available onsite. The internet barely worked at all in our private room in the back. The internet was good when it was working in the main area, but it tended to drop a lot or sometimes you just couldn't get on it. The bed was okay. You could feel the wires which made it a little uncomfortable. Would have liked to have had a couple hooks in the room. Enjoyed having cabinets. The pool was an awesome addition.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Very good service, nice pool, 5 minute walk into the centre of town.