Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

We had a very comfortable stay! Very tasty fruit shakes ;-)

Great helpful staff, good food and clean rooms. Overall a great place to stay.

The reviews make this seem like a mini-Eden, and truthfully it's only above-average. The shared rooms are stuffy, the tents offer no privacy, and a private room costs as much as a hotel would, but again with less privacy. Compared to the hostel at which we stayed in Nosara, this one is satisfactory and nothing more. Location is good though, it's safe, and the staff is excellent. It's close to a great Italian Restaurant too (of course I forgot the name). For a night, Id recommend it.

• 26th Jan 2014

The location was great. We loved having food and beverage options available onsite. The internet barely worked at all in our private room in the back. The internet was good when it was working in the main area, but it tended to drop a lot or sometimes you just couldn't get on it. The bed was okay. You could feel the wires which made it a little uncomfortable. Would have liked to have had a couple hooks in the room. Enjoyed having cabinets. The pool was an awesome addition.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Very good service, nice pool, 5 minute walk into the centre of town.

Gates are locked and entry is gained by ringing bell and being identified by cctv, lockers are big enough for large rucksack. Close to restaurants, food can be purchased at the hostel no cooking facilities. Lounge/reception/ dining area is large and a good opportunity to meet other people. We stayed in a tent which was adequate, not a lot of room though. Showers were cold. FGood value for money.

• 16th Jan 2014

Unfortunately it's very close to the main road, which is why it gets very loud, already very early in the morning. The tents are nice. Bar and Food was good. Staff at the reception very friendly and helpful.

Nice, clean hostel with friendly staff. Within walking distance from the bus station which was helpful, and reasonable distance from the volcanoes. The only negative thing I'd have to say is that the keys they gave us for the rooms never worked, so if you weren't friendly with your bunkmates I could see it becoming frustrating. Also the fact that the reception desk was in the same vicinity of the restaurant made it difficult to find any quiet time.

The only thing it needs is a kitchen for the lower budget travelers, but it's a great place, clean and secure, and we would recommend it!

Very good place. Very clean and super helpful staff. Pool, volleyball and slack lines entertained us in our downtime. Downsides: could be a little noisy at night sometimes and there was no communal kitchen, only a restaurant. Would definitely recommend.

Awesome vibe, very helpful staff and would recommend anyone to stay here!

Awesome hostel. Almost more of a 'resort' feel than a hostel feel. Everything was clean and the staff was helpful in helping us book various tours. The one downside was there was no kitchen and the bar/restaurant were pretty pricey.

Great hostel. Very clean, friendly staff, good location. The hostel definitely felt like a "resort" hostel because of the nice pool and clean facilities. The bar area was great as well. Not too loud, but a nice place to hang out with a friend.

The pool and surroundings are really nice. The rooms are clean and very spacious. Unfortunately it is '5 star' but you still have to hire towels and flat sheets. There is no kitchen and the restaurant is expensive.

Such a nice hostel! More like a resort. It's got a great pool area, the room and beds were comfortable, and the entire place looked great and seemed very clean. There is a restaurant there - the food wasn't great and kind of overpriced but it was handy to have it there and we did eat there a couple of times.

Place was very cool and nice. Very helpful staff. Nice pool. Only poor thing was the noise. After quiet time there was quite a lot of drunk loud people still hanging at the bar wich was ment to be closed I thought. I mean it's great for young people who loves to have a party evry night, but maybe not the greatest if you value good night sleep and waiking up early. But as I mentioned otherwise I liked the place. Slept at the tent wich was pretty cool and cheap.

This was our first hostel as we traveled through Costa Rica and it definitely set the bar high! The atmosphere of the hostel was fantastic - the pool and bar allowed backpackers to meet fellow backpackers. There were always workers cleaning so it was spotless. Great spot! Only downside was that there were no lockers in the rooms. They had a locker area that I'm sure was strictly watched but left me a little uneasy that it wasn't where I was sleeping.

• 14th Dec 2013

Would be nice to have access to a kitchen and I wish smoking wouldn't be allowed under the covered area, but otherwise everything was terrific!

Thought this place was just ok. Pretty far from the city. I stayed in the tents and lucky for me, it wasn't that hot but it was quite yucky in the morning. The fruit smoothies are syrup juice, not fruit. If I came back I would honestly choose another place and use this as my 2nd or 3rd choice.

This place is great! Staff is accommodating and the restaurant/bar they have is delicious, we really enjoyed hanging out. I would 100% go back!

• 30th Nov 2013