Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

My favourite stay! I loved it here and no other places compared. I was travelling on my own and this hostel was my first stop. I was made to feel at ease and welcome straight away. The guys working there were great! The location and the tours on offer were brilliant and I had so so much fun!

Best Backpackers Resort ever

We had a double room with shared bathroom. It was quite small and had no view on the pool as all the dorms. But anyways, a very nice hostel, more like a hotel :-)

Beautiful hostel!!!! Amazing sunset view just from outside the room. Bus stop very close and in a few minutes you get to the beach of Manuel Antonio. Great room, clean with tv and full kitchen. Good atmosphere too, not a party hostel but people from all over the world stay there. Great choice!

I never went there. I changed my plans

Great location in walking distance to downtown. Fun pool but the swim up bar is not reAlly anything special travelled there with 6 friends and we shared a room together which was great. Front desk was helpful.

I paid $40/ night for a private room. The room didn't have it's own anything... sink, toilet, shower... It was just a bed in a room! I found a huge cockroach (dead) that wasn't there when I got there which was somewhat disheartening. It was also on the second floor so you can imagine that every night I had to go down a large flight of stairs whenever I had to pee. I really don't think it's worth this price at all for this location which is away from the strip and the lack of amenities.

• 16th Feb 2014

If you want peace and quiet when you sleep, this is not the place for you. They play loud music with the bass pumping until 11 pm. The hostel is for young party folks, so they were running around drunk making a lot of noise. It was also hot and they don't turn the air conditioning on until 10 pm. The window is broken, which was a blessing if you forgot your key, but not great for security reasons. They have two front desk guys - 1 is friendly and nice and the other is moody and not helpful.

This was our first experience with hostels in Costa Rica. Everything was great and the staff were very helpful. The atmosphere was really nice and the pool was a good amenity. We would highly recommend this place for anyone.

• 10th Feb 2014

Great place for what I needed. Nothing fancy for the room, but very clean. Staff were helpful and attentive when needed.

• 8th Feb 2014

We had a very comfortable stay! Very tasty fruit shakes ;-)

Great helpful staff, good food and clean rooms. Overall a great place to stay.

The reviews make this seem like a mini-Eden, and truthfully it's only above-average. The shared rooms are stuffy, the tents offer no privacy, and a private room costs as much as a hotel would, but again with less privacy. Compared to the hostel at which we stayed in Nosara, this one is satisfactory and nothing more. Location is good though, it's safe, and the staff is excellent. It's close to a great Italian Restaurant too (of course I forgot the name). For a night, Id recommend it.

• 26th Jan 2014

The location was great. We loved having food and beverage options available onsite. The internet barely worked at all in our private room in the back. The internet was good when it was working in the main area, but it tended to drop a lot or sometimes you just couldn't get on it. The bed was okay. You could feel the wires which made it a little uncomfortable. Would have liked to have had a couple hooks in the room. Enjoyed having cabinets. The pool was an awesome addition.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Very good service, nice pool, 5 minute walk into the centre of town.

Gates are locked and entry is gained by ringing bell and being identified by cctv, lockers are big enough for large rucksack. Close to restaurants, food can be purchased at the hostel no cooking facilities. Lounge/reception/ dining area is large and a good opportunity to meet other people. We stayed in a tent which was adequate, not a lot of room though. Showers were cold. FGood value for money.

• 16th Jan 2014

Unfortunately it's very close to the main road, which is why it gets very loud, already very early in the morning. The tents are nice. Bar and Food was good. Staff at the reception very friendly and helpful.

Nice, clean hostel with friendly staff. Within walking distance from the bus station which was helpful, and reasonable distance from the volcanoes. The only negative thing I'd have to say is that the keys they gave us for the rooms never worked, so if you weren't friendly with your bunkmates I could see it becoming frustrating. Also the fact that the reception desk was in the same vicinity of the restaurant made it difficult to find any quiet time.

The only thing it needs is a kitchen for the lower budget travelers, but it's a great place, clean and secure, and we would recommend it!

Very good place. Very clean and super helpful staff. Pool, volleyball and slack lines entertained us in our downtime. Downsides: could be a little noisy at night sometimes and there was no communal kitchen, only a restaurant. Would definitely recommend.