Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Great hostel with friendly staff and great facilities. Stay in the tents, they are great. If you decide to go to the falls, don't listen to the staff and walk or cycle. - take a cab.

The staff here is super helpful and made my stay amazing. The rooms are clean, pool is sparkling, food is good and reasonably priced unlike most of the town. I highly recommend this hostel if staying in La Fortuna!

• 27th Oct 2013

I have stayed twice in the past and have had a great time twice. Clean and beautiful atmosphere. Will be there again soon.!!!

• 16th Oct 2013

Great, clean hostel and good staff as well

this should be called a hostel but instead a resort. The staff was fantastic...the only issue we encountered was only one shower had hot water. We stayed in the tents and they are awesome, the pool is spotless, the food and drinks are great...and the location is PERFECT!

• 22nd Sep 2013

There was loud music the whole evening. You gotta like this. The shared showers for the tent guests are cold.

Hi, It is a shame you didn't´t ask us! We do have 3 cold water showers and a room with 6 hot water showers 24 hours. Hope next time you can find them or ask us! :)

My friend and I shared a tent and it was really comfortable and pretty private. I felt safe keeping our belongings with us in the tent without locking them up. The front lobby offered hookah which we took advantage of as well! I'd stay there again if I returned to La Fortuna.

• 16th Sep 2013

The staff were very friendly and helped with some of our planning.

• 14th Sep 2013

Hot showers, air conditioning, giant pool, bar with a happy hour, delicious food, computer room, and staff that helps you book tours. This is a no brainer - this is where you should stay!

Very nice! And a pool for that price is awesome. Most of the staff was really nice! Freddie and the guy helping us a whole evening just to get away to the national park of tenorio and rio Celeste early in the morning with the best guide in town, can not remember his name. But really serviceminded! Air condition was nice as soon as you didn't sleep just by it.

SO CLEAN. There were always ladies washing the floor, all day! The employees were VERY friendly, and recommended destinations for us after our stay in Arenal. Highly recommended, we stayed in a private room with its own bathroom for 25$ each (2 people). The pool has a view on the volcanoes and is surrounded by palm trees, making this location feel more resort-like than anything.

We stayed in a tent @ the hostel. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were able to get discounts to the tours we wanted to go to and the bathrooms/showers were cleaned daily. I only have one complaint, their lockers are see through. I had to cover all the valuables I left in there in case anyone saw anything they wanted and wanted to clip my lock. But aside from that, everything was excellent!

• 4th Sep 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this place. The people, location and everything about this place is incredible. This Hostel is cleaner/landscaped twice and well as any hotel within a 3 mile radius. Freddie was a great help to us durind our stay. He was spot on with suggestions on adventure tours. I HIGHLY recommend this place - best hostel I have stayed in (counting about 10).

The hostel is very nice. Swimming pool is a plus. But staff attention is not good at all... they would not take time to help you or make you feel that attending you bother them... a pity

No hot water. Guy on front counter nice enough. Clean, quiet. The bed was uncomfortable, in fact the pillows were the problem. Like a bag of rolled up socks. The AC leaked all over the ground. Pool nice. Cafe staff nice but really slow.

Just wish they served breakfast for free! And that the restaurant served food all the time, not just specific hours.

• 23rd Aug 2013

We stayed in the tent and it was great.

This place was like a hotel. It isn't as down to Earth chill as the Monteverde Backpackers I went to, but it's safe, the staff is friendly, and the establishment itself is like a 5-star resort. Also, this is more of a party-geared atmosphere, but if that's what you're looking for it's perfect.

This is without doubt the best hostel I have ever been in. Just amazing. The guy at the reception, Freddy, was extremely helpful and friendly. Thanks for everything! No need to check other places. This is the one.

This is definitely a party hostel. If that's what you're looking for, there's a great pool, lots of loungers, and a bar. The rooms are clean & modern, & the hostel is walking distance to good restaurants & shops. Starting point for tours around the volcano & hot springs, but pretty expensive. The staff were super helpful arranging bus bookings & a taxi for us to our next destination.