Arenal Backpackers Resort Reviews

350 meters west of central park, towards volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Very nice and clean place.

The tent were too much wet cause of humidity during the night....:-(

We had a great time at Arenal Backpacker Hostel. The room are clean and the staff are very helpful and nice. For us, security and cleanliness are very important. They surpass our expectation. The only thing we ask is that if they can fix up the kitchen, it will be perfect. We were trying to fix up a cup of hot coffee in the morning and will have to use Microwave oven to heat up dome water. Other than that, we have no concern or issue and will definitely to come back if we are in the area.

• 17th Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Overall, my girlfriend and I enjoyed our stay at ABR. Our room was clean and the bathrooms were very clean, the pool was cleaned daily. Property is gated and is a short, well-lit walk into La Fortuna. Lounge area was pretty nice and a great place to meet others each evening, however there is a very limited amount of food/drink available for purchase as implied by the hostel description. Also, A/C in our room did not work and you could feel the springs in the mattress. Would stay again.

Although the front staff was so-so, the rest of this place was amazing. It's super safe outside with a large fence and a buzzer to get in and out. We stayed in a private double, so I can't say anything about the safety inside the dorms room. The lounge area there were comfy couches and the high tables and chairs worked well for games! Overall, super great place that felt like I could easily be paying for hotel prices.

• 16th Jan 2015

only thing what could be improved was facilities - there was no kitchen for preparing the meal by ourselves and no possibility to order the breakfest. Everithing else was just perfect!

It's a really nice hostel. It's a bit far and uphill from the main town area, but it's not too bad. The staff were meh. The room was good and clean (private room w washroom). They have a really nice pool. Food a bit expensive. Great place overall. the only thing is that it can be VERY loud at night because the people at the bar party quite a bit. But what can you do, it's a backpacker's hostel.

So for the 2 out of 3 nights we were constantly disturbed throughout the night by construction. We stayed in room 8 and the hostel decides to have construction done to room 7 during the nights! All night! I went out to speak with the workers and they could do anything about it. Hostel was great, but the intelligence to do construction a night was poor. It really sucked hearing workers bang away all night. I sleep pretty nice and shitty.

no kitchen, a lot of party so beware of the noise ! great place to have fun

The most experience of my life. Its imposible to sleep. Too much noise. The staff doesn't care of their custumer. No security in the night to calm the party people.

• 9th Jan 2015

Arenal Backpackers was great. My only precaution would be to let people know that a shared bathroom situation could mean that the bathroom is on a different floor, and shared with multiple people, not just another room.

Slept on a tent, which I probably wouldn't do again but it wasn't awful either. 11pm noise curfew not enforced. It's a gated hostel which got annoying. Staff not very interactive with hostel members or enthusiatic to help which I found surprising based on the many other hostels I've been too (maybe its a Costa Rican thing). No kitchen or fridge which was a major thumbs down. Wouldn't stay here again. Lots of facilities (mini gym, pool, basketball) More suited for super young and party goers.

Only stayed here one night but the hostel seemed great!, pretty flash for a hostel! Staff were really helpful and booked my volcano/natural springs trip and white water rafting as soon as I arrived. The pool was pretty cool, the bar was good (quiet the night I was there though definite potential for a good party) and everything was really clean. Would recommend.

Outdoor area/pool/restaurant were nice but rooms were lacking. Ratty sheets with stains, A/C either off or blasting, making the room so cold, the one blanket (no sheet) didn't help much. Very lound until late, but good for partiers. Had to pay $1 for a towel, but they ran out frequently making using the pool or shower difficult. Friendly staff.

• 6th Jan 2015

I think it was a great place to stay in La Fortuna and stood up to reputation... Would come back!!

• 2nd Jan 2015

I enjoyed my time at the Backpackers Resort, but there was something about the fencing, gates, and security that made the entire experience feel far too exclusive to other travelers who wanted to hang out in the hostel. Most hostels are usually very open to all travelers who wish to come in, have drinks, speak with other travelers, etc., but I didn't get that vibe at all as I even attempted to bring friends over and was told they weren't allowed in. I understand it's for security, but still.

A great spot! Awesome security and staff. Parking was a nice bonus. The pool was nice to have and the staff were very informative on activities to do in down.

No kitchen available

• 30th Dec 2014
  • Poland

A really pleasant and luxurious hostel. The hot water is HOT which was a lovely surprise after suicide showers and cold water elsewhere in the country. The room windows needed to be left open to air out the rooms so I was careful to not leave items of value out in the room. That said, the front gate kept things secure and my fellow dorm mates were great.

We stayed in the private room (#23 I think?) at the very back of the property. It was secluded and quiet, but very very dark and awkwardly triangularly shaped. There was only a half window, and it was at the end of a hallway facing a chain-link fence covered with black tarp. There was nowhere to hang our towels/clothing to dry, and the lack of sunlight kept everything damp for our entire stay.

• 28th Dec 2014