Arenal Hostel Resort Reviews

100 m al Oeste de la Plaza de La Fortuna, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

The staff are wonderful here. I would stay again. The only downside is the lack of lockers to keep valuables in however they will place items a safe under the DSL in the office.

It was a clean hostel, but the 10-person dorm was stuffy - only aircon, no fan or window.

• 17th Feb 2015

My only wish is that the rooms had lockers, but staff was friendly and informative, great location right in town. Nice clean beds/dorms. Plenty of lounge space, wifi, and basic kitchen accommodations. For the center of La Fortuna, couldn't ask for more at a better price.

The hostel is really nice. It has a small kitchen for guests to use but not so many utensils or space. Overall a nice place. We met a lot of nice people here. The rooms have private bath. LaFortuna in January is constantly wet but if you can get over that it is a fun place with nice staff.

Location was really good right in the center and a block away from bus station. I stayed at Arenal Hostel Resort at the end of my trip, so I was low on cash. Then they ask cash deposit for keys, towels and probably more thing if you need something else. Basically took all my cash away. There were a ball of hair within the folded sheets and I booked 6-bed female dorm but given 10-bed dorm and no lockers.

• 23rd Jan 2015

Good beds. Hot showers. Staff weren't all that knowledgable of local restaurants (like locations of those mentioned in the lonely planet) or the free hot springs.

Loved my stay and highly recommend

I feel like I was a bit deceived when I signed up to stay in a 6 bed deluxe only to be put in a windowless 10 bed dorm. The fact that the outlets were only in the bathroom made things awkward so did the fact that there were no mirrors anywhere in the room. Also one of the showers had tile missing and the water pressure was weird. Please put more effort into the upkeep of the rooms because the common area facility looked great but not the rooms. However the staff was very nice.

Overall, my stay at Arenal Hostel was okay, but: There was no hot water when I took a shower. I booked a 6 bed dorm and paid $16, what I got was a 10 bed dorm.. I realized it just when I went to bed and talked to the stuff the next day. He didn't really get what I meant, "you paid for 6 beds and the others paid for the remaining 4 beds" doesn't make any sense to me, I usually pay for one bed, exept for private dorms. I think $16 for a 10 bed dorm is too much! There are no lockers!

• 10th Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

Loved the atmosphere with the hammocks and it's in a great location, easy to get around the city, right in the heart of town. Staff were friendly and hospitable to help us navigate through town and guide us to our next destination. Thank you!

The staff was friendly and helpful and the place was beautiful and at a great value.

• 27th Dec 2014

The dorm room was a good size, clean and comfortable, with two showers and two toilets between 8 travellers, which was great. I like the gardens and the staff were good. However, in the female dorm there were no lockers, no mirrors and the only power points were in the toilets. The showers had pretty much see-through doors, so very little privacy, and nowhere to place any toiletries, or hooks to hang your towel or clothes. All in all a good hostel, except for those strange things in the dorm.

People were very nice. We found bugs in the room but that's what you'll find pretty much everywhere in costa rica. I recommend the place !!

• 7th Dec 2014

There were no power points in the dorm which was weird. Otherwise good.

Great hostel for location, staff and atmosphere........WOULD RECOMMEND!

Stayed in an all female dorm (even though I booked mixed), there were no mirrors and no power outlets in the room itself, and showers were luke warm. Staff were helpful in booking tours.

One concern I had was almost being charged $10 for a rented towel that according to the staff member had stains on it, which clearly was not because of me. I lost my bank card the day before and made him aware of it. Yet he was willing to charge me while not being certain of my culpability and knowing I had no way to withdraw money. Also, the garbage bin should be emptied more frequently as toilet paper accumulated quickly making it unsanitary.

The hostel is clean, well located, although a little loud, depending what room you are in. The staff was very helpful but I missed the "warmth" that I had in other hostels.

This is more like a resort than a hostel, which is great when it comes to comfort, but negative when it comes to costs. It has more of an institutional feel, rather than a laid-back backpacker place. You have to wear wristbands while you are there and the staff tries to sell you group tours for the attractions in the areas (not necessarily great prices...). In addition, the people in my dorm room had all paid different prices for the same room. But it is beautiful, clean and great security.

I loved this placed. The location is great; plus the stuff was helpful.