Arenal Hostel Resort Reviews

100 m al Oeste de la Plaza de La Fortuna, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Awesome building, awesome staff, awesome swim-up bar. Dorms feel a little cramped, but not enough to warrant a complaint. Air-con surely felt nice, as did all-day hot water. Sweet deal.

From the street it looks sketchy but the inside is so nice, hammock heaven and the pool, bar and chef is a great touch! Clean and the staff is great! Free coffee, The breakfast seemed overpriced so I ate cereal and milk from the supermarket right down the road. Right around the corner from the ATM and near several tour offices. I booked everything through jungle tours which was insanely cheaper than the packages offered through the hostel. Overall a great stay!

Could not be happier with my stay here! The reception staff was always so nice and friendly and willing to help. Especially Jennifer, Diego and Christian. Brandon the bartender was always so nice too, saying hi very time I walked by. Easy to cook your own meals, just keep an eye on your food. Even though mine was labeled someone still tried to take it. Hammocks are awesome for chilling, laundry service was pretty reasonable, dorms came with AC and hot water! Always felt safe.

The Arenal Hostel Resort is in its genre an excellent place with great structure and very competent staff. I recommend it 100%. I specially liked the day hike to Arenal Park with the guide Hector (who was just beginning with the tour company that I took).

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Venezuela

Enjoyed my stay here, although traffic noise was problematic and I felt the dorm would have been better with just four beds (instead of six). It was a bit crowded, though very clean and modern. Air con was great.

• 6th Aug 2014

terrible customer service.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Greetings and thanks for your comment Unfortunately, no sense, since you are calling us bad in every way, when it should only be in one, for example: we have 24 hour security, in addition to established safety standards; to which you give us a rate of 1 Furthermore, in all the rooms have daily cleaning as well as gardens, reception, kitchen and others, so you might not have a rating 1. I request please that qualifies us correctly, please

Some of the staff weren't very helpful. However the rooms were cleaned everyday. The two bartenders, Brando and I unfortunately forgot the other one's name, were both very friendly and nice. They make you feel very comfortable and are also helpful if you have any questions about the area. They have a fully stocked kitchen for use, all you have to do is buy your own food which is great if you are staying for multiple days and want to save money on food.

Everything was perfect.

Hostel was amazing! Key location and right in the Main Street. The hostel is beautiful ! There are plenty of hammocks and places to eat and chill outside. Rooms are great and very clean. The people working there are helpful and booked all our adventure tours

• 22nd Jul 2014

We absolutely loved our stay here! The staff was so friendly and willing to help!

• 18th Jul 2014

If I actually stayed at this hostel, which I booked 2 weeks in advance, I might have better things to say about it. However, when I got there, I was told that they were full and would walk me to their sister hostel, Hostel backpackers. I'm upset because I researched places to stay and I picked this place for a reason. To shuffle me to a different (much louder) place, I feel, was unprofessional. If you book here, make sure they actually have room for you.

• 18th Jul 2014

Only stayed at this hostel for one night but it was awesome!! Hammocks everywhere and a cute little swimming pool next to the bar. Would recommend to people going to arenal.

Several departure and return times for excursions were inaccurate in the hostel brochure. Staff could have indicated changes before customers made reservations. Lack of communication and information from the staff thus caused conflict in our travel itinerary. Construction workers worked on renovating a room adjacent to ours, the entire time of our stay. (It was extremely noisy.) It also felt uncomfortable to open the curtain of our room due to workers mixing concrete in front of our window.

• 9th Jul 2014

When you walk in there are hammocks and a swim up pool/bar which makes the atmosphere resort like. There are also dorm bedrooms and a shared kitchen, which make it feel more like a hostel. I really enjoyed the combination. The air conditioning in the room was great, and things seemed clean. DO NOT buy the tours from them. There are much cheaper ones down the street. We had a light out in the bathroom, and the staff was bad about fixing it. Some staff was very helpful, others were not so great.

"Resort Hostel" is not an oxymoron here. The courtyard is beautifully designed with hammocks, hanging chairs, a fountain, swim-up bar, and small restaurant. The rooms are air-conditioned (a blessing in the humid heat!). There are bunk bed shared rooms, a large room with 5 double beds, and smaller private rooms around the courtyard. For $7 US, you can get a buffet breakfast with eggs, rice and beans, fruit, cereal, toast. The staff is fantastic, and can help you book any of your adventures.

The Beauty of the Hostel is Great, the Location is Fantastic but it is the little things they need to work on to take it from a good Hostel to a Great Hostel. The Bar and pool are very nice but I think for a Hostel the Prices of the Drinks and food are just a little too high. The first room they put me in had NO Locker, not great for Security. The 6 bed Dorm rooms should be 4 bed rooms, too small for 6 beds. $10 dollar towel deposit but if towel is too dirty no deposit back

This place is very good for young backpackers, great relaxing area with all hammocks etc! The people working on reception were very helpful organising tours for us and calling taxis! Nice resturants for dinner in close walking distance and also supermarket out the back! We felt very comfortable here and would reccommend it to anyone staying in Arenal!

• 7th Jul 2014

Loved this place! Excellent helpful staff, great location right around corner from bus station and central in town, an amazing ambiance with hammocks, swim-up pool, little waterfalls-- kind of a Swiss Family Robinson vibe. Perfect name, it is like a cross between a resort and a hostel-- at the hostel price. Nice little kitchen with free coffee. Clean, safe and secure. Only complaint was the beds which desperately need upgrading-- thin squeaky uncomfortable mattresses.

The best hostel we have stayed in so far in Central America. Great atmosphere and social area and large ensuite.

Possibly the nicest hostel I've used, and I've been at this a long time. If they have space, make sure you stay here!

• 30th Jun 2014