Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

I had a great stay at Argyle Backpackers Hostel.

• 18th Apr 2015

Great location and facilities (kitchens well equipped and maintained), I had a very pleasant stay.

• 11th Apr 2015

Really cute place in a cool part of town. Location was not bad. About a 15 minute walk from the Royal mile, castle

• 10th Apr 2015

Helpful staff, nice bathrooms, wifi connection bad in room, nice location (next to park but 10-15 min to city centre), good value for money.

Overall, I would have to say that this hostel is worth staying at-- the staff is friendly, everything is clean, and the rooms don't smell (something you don't appreciate until its gone). The biggest criticism that I have is that the lockers were quite small, maybe 1'X1'x1.5'. Not large enough for my backpack, which is actually quite small. I had to put the important things in the locker, and then hope no one wanted to steal my clothes. Still, I wouldn't mind staying there again.

very clean room and facilities!

Very clean, great staff, kitchen is awesome, would highly recommend it! Really enjoyed my time there. Location could be a bit better and I wish the common room was open 24-7, the hours were inconvenient. My room was a little stuffy too and the windows wouldn't open fully so we couldn't air it out :(.

This was by far one of the best hostels I have stayed at! For the price I paid I was expecting the bare minimum, but my three friends and I were shocked at the higher than anticipated quality! The rooms are spacious, the facilities in working condition, the security better than most places, and the staff more than willing to help out! The kitchens are better than my own kitchen at home and the beds were surprisingly comfortable! I felt right at home here and would book again in a heartbeat.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Well equipped kitchen. Hot shared shower, bathrooms tidy. Spacious and clean carpeted double room with flat screen tv. Pleasant conservatory/sun room. Great co-op across the street for healthy self cater options. Some mildly constricting time regulations: Couldn't check out before 9:30am unless pre-arranged, living room tv area closed at 10pm, front desk closed until 9:30am. Not deal breakers, but not oriented towards early traveling. Fresh towel hire 1 pound. Overall good deal.

Staff under average standards

• 28th Mar 2015
  • Portugal

Very impressed with Argyle! Stayed two nights and found this hostel clean, comfortable beds and easy to get parking on the street :)

Lovely hostel. Staff were a bit scatterbrained regarding the check-in and check-out but other than that great place. 8/10 would recommend.

• 21st Mar 2015

The window in the dorm was broken off its hinges, the radiator was leaking and soaked my friends belongings and there was only 1 toilet in our 16 bed dorm. However, it was a great location and cheap so we didn't complain. Also a USB and plug socket on the headboard was handy.

Really nice hostel in a quiet area. Almost has a B&B feel about it as it is a converted house on a residential street. Rooms were very nice, comfortable beds, quiet and clean. Toilet and shower facilities were also clean. There are two kitchens downstairs should you want to cook, and there is also a lovely dining area in a conservatory kind of room. It is a fair walk from Waverly Station, maybe 15-20 min, but it is doable if you don't mind a walk!! Seems like a very safe area to walk around!

Off season I enjoyed staying at this homey well appointed hostel. i had the place to myself and as a lone female , never felt insecure. The place is homey and warm with well appointed kitchen for my simple needs. loved the fresh ground coffee and the breadshop across the road. will definitely stay here again.

• 7th Mar 2015
  • Singapore

I was very impressed at the standard of accommodation and it's at a very domestic scale and you really feel at home and can get to know people staying at the hostel. It''s located within a neighbourhood and you really feel you're living within a neighbourhood with shops and pubs close by. Having 2 kitchens is great and allows you to prepare food when you like it. It's very well organised and environmentally friendly. The staff are great too and very helpful.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Too few toilets, very poor general cleanliness. A 10 GBP deposit for the keys seems to be too much.

Superb rooms at great value, will def be re booking for the next rugby trip

Stayed in private double - B

A very pleasant stay. A lovely big old building. Lots of rooms. Very homely. A lovely fire. And free use of a mac computer.