Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

A very nice hostel! We arrived 4 hours before the usual check-in time and the staff were kind enough the prepare the room for us right away. The room was tiny, but had a TV, comfortable bed, big window and a safe.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Poland

What a lovely, homely hostel. Stayed here whilst performing at the Fringe and felt like a little home. Is a little far out of town and perhaps a tad more money than some of the other hostels, but definitely worth it.

Great hostel, staff are helpful, would stay here again.

This is my first ever review of a hostel, altough i been to plenty. Its a great deal for the money, nice, clean and with good vibe. Kitchen is clean and complete as well as the bathrooms. I recommend it to backpackers.

• 18th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

Things which I liked - silence (no traffic or any other noise), the open kitchen and other facilities provided, the location (not really in the heart of the city, but very well located near the university), the helpful staff. Things which I didn't really like - the price - I thought this was a little on the higher side based on the hostels I've stayed in. But then, that's a personal preference. All in all, a really quiet, quaint, convenient place. Wouldn't mind staying there again.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • India

Loved it. Being a little older than the average backpacker I wanted somewhere that was not party central and I found it! A lovely hostel that catered for all of my needs and then some more.

Clean and quite hostel close to the park "the meadows". It's not so far to get downtown. In the two big kitchens you can find every equipment you need to cook. The free computer only offered very slow internet. The hostel has a beautiful small garden so we could have breakfast sitting in the sun, which was very nice. There is a small market on the other side of the street where you buy food. Recommendation!

Though I stay frequently in hostels, this was my first time bringing my mother and sister along with me and I'm very glad that this was their first experience. My mom couldn't believe how useful and well-outfitted the kitchen was, and my sister said she felt more safe staying alone in the room than she ever had in a more traditional hotel setting. She was also very nervous about sharing a bathroom but didn't have one problem with the cleanliness and we never had to wait to use it.

We had a great stay at Argyle Backpackers. The staff was welcoming and helpful, and they kept the hostel very clean. We loved the location! Only a block away from The Meadows and a relatively short walk to the major city attractions. More importantly, you're a safe distance from the noise and congestion of the downtown area. We also enjoyed the local restaurants and pubs. Very friendly area!

• 28th Jun 2014

Two fantastic and fully equipped kitchens. Garden/patio is a fun and relaxing place. Nice bedrooms, good mattresses, storage was ample. Spotlessly clean bathrooms. Hardworking and friendly staff members. Loved the location, plenty of groceries nearby and the park and university are close, although be prepared to walk 10-15 mins to the center but Edinburgh is a big city. Would stay again!

Great facilities and location (only 15 minute walk to everything, and you are right next to the Meadows and the University, which is a very pretty and safe area), very nice staff, laundry services were a plus, and wifi was good. Overall I would recommend this hostel!

I really loved this place. I had a private room which was lovely and quiet. The kitchen are quite well equipped, there are some lovely spots to sit and chat and the option to have your clothes wash & dried for a reasonable fee is great.

A little bit outside of the city centre but not much

The receptionist was really lovely, very friendly and helpful. The room itself was ok, had TV and a sink in it, bed was comfy enough. i did bang my head three times as the room was kinda pokey. the shower was ok but i wasnt sure what the towel situation was, just seemed to be a load of random towels left on the bannistars to dry over night, i had to rifle through and find the least damp one in the morning. overall good experiance.

• 5th Jun 2014

We stayed in the hostel for two days and we loved the place. We arrived very late but the staff left the keys, in a secure place, and a note were we had all the information we needed. They were always helpful and friendly and there was many places in the hostel were one can socialize. It's close to a beautiful park and not very far from the city.

You get what you pay for, but this was a good bargain, and I would stay here again. It was clean, quiet, and the staff responded promptly. I've read some reviews about problems at the front desk, but that was far from my experience. There are a lot of great places to eat closeby, hot showers, grocery, wireless internet worked well and was included, and was reasonable walking distance from the center of town. Also, they have female/male only dorms available.

Great hostel with a welcoming atmosphere. Though I only stayed for a night, I met some great people and had loads of fun. Great place for a student like myself, who wanted to visit the University of Edinburgh. Oh, and I am really sorry for forgetting to return my towel. I accidentally left it at the bathroom.

• 25th May 2014
  • Japan

Great hostel, great value for money, staff were really nice, friendly and helpful, no curfew.. comfy and quiet nights sleep.. well located with a couple of nice pubs, greengrocers, sandwich shop and of course the meadows all at the door step. I would certainly recommend this hostel to others.

• 21st May 2014

It is good as it is near the Meadow Park and you can take a good walk everyday if going to the city centre and it is nice. Only beware that there is no lift and so you have to consider if you have big luggages to carry. It may not be suitable also to people who like partying as it is a quite hostal.

Stayed in twin bed for a couple of days. Its very close to Old town, but the neighborhood itself is a little dead. Quite clean and friendly staff, decent wifi.