Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

This Hostel is very homey!! The front common area is just like a normal living room with a wood burning stove. There is also a sitting room with tables behind the kitchen Ilked this Hostel alot and would have liked to spend moretime there My only complaint was THERE were not enough bathrooms when the place was full, but it was okay when not full.

If you don't stay at this hostel why you are visiting Edinburgh then you have truly missed out, this place is absolutely amazing and the staff is wonderful! Love the atmosphere and they play great music all day!

Very nice and friendly, but the wifi is not good in my room, hope can improve.

• 31st Dec 2015
  • China

Room was good size& tidy. It cost £40 for the night which was good price in comparison to other hostels over New Years. We were greeted by a girl at the desk who was not very enthusiastic, and didn't really know what she was doing. She asked for our passports which we were confused by as we weren't told to bring them, had to ask if drivers license is okay which she confirmed, so confused. Nothing was said on website about key deposit& that it has to be by cash, she was rude about this also.

• 30th Dec 2015

Easily the best hostel I've stayed in! Very clean and peaceful. I specially loved the kitchen which has plenty of space and all required equipment. Perfect!

Absolutely loved the stay! Place was clean, safe and a walking distance from the city centre.

• 12th Dec 2015
  • Jordan

Great option to stay at when visiting cold & cool Edinburgh. With a very friendly staff and very clean facilities, this is definitely a good option for staying. I spent 4 days with my wife in a double room and we loved the experience, nothing fancy but pretty honest. But don't forget your bottle of shampoo in the bathroom, I'm looking for my until now. Cheers

• 4th Dec 2015

Great long weekend in the Argyle hostel. Loved the two fully stocked kitchens--it was so easy to cook and relax in the kitchen space after a day of exploring Edinburgh. Also the garden and sunroom space was great for hanging out. The front tv room also made for a great place to relax with a book and warm up after a rainy day. Rooms were warm and cozy with good locker space for valuables. Hostel was in a good location near the university and a 10-15 min walk from the heart of the city.

I had a good time at this hostel as I was lucky to make friends with a group of people right off the hop. That was not normal for a hostel like this as I think it is used to being more of a quiet hostel with an older crowd. Sam and Alice made the experience a lot better by being very friendly and open. However, there was an older gentleman that always seemed to be angry and wasn't very welcoming to me. The kitchen was really good as it had everything you needed. Could be cleaner..

Staff was very professional and friendly. No outlet at bed, only one on the room at the floor under a sink. No reading light. Neighborhood very convenient and pretty.

The only problem I had was that the wi-fi did not work in my room.

Great location with bus stops near by, easy to access town by foot through the park. Accommodation is in a Georgian style house and the communal areas are good/large. There is the main hostel building and a further house down the road (which we were placed in) - both communal areas are good. We did book a twin room which was 'cosy' - very small with bunk bed. Were fortunate to swap to a double room which was a good size. Communal bathroom was good. Good stay but book a double

We had a wonderful time in Edinburgh, the hostel was perfect. Staff were really lovely, the location was ideal. It was the perfect choice and made our stay so much more enjoyable! Thank you everybody in Argyle Backpackers! Much love, Danielle&Marlene, Ireland :)

• 1st Nov 2015

A nice hostel to stay at, the place was clean and friendly. The lockers were small but otherwise had no complaints!

Great nights sleep. Kitchen facilities superb. Top bunks really need safety rails.

What a lovely warm cosy atmosphere, would definitely recommend. The fairly quiet location and garden were an unexpected bonus.

• 26th Oct 2015

Very friendly, clean, close to town and good facilities. Only downside was they advertised free parking, but this was only at certain times.

• 13th Oct 2015

This already was my third time in this hostel and I can really recommend it. Good kitchen, a small garden, free WiFi and a beautiful old house. They have common areas where you can get in touch with other travellers. The 4 bed dorm I was staying in (room 3) was cozy and clean. I'll be back when I'm in Edinburgh next time.

Nice place, sited near the park an quite near to the centre of town (10 min by foot). Kitchen and patio with good equippment, very good atmosphere with the other guests. Cleanliness in the bath could be better. I will come back, sure.

• 5th Oct 2015

I had nice experience throughout my stay. My room mates were very friendly. At the end of my stay I cooked Indian chicken curry for them. That itself tells the story of my stay. Closer to university park which is another plus and few mins walk to museum. Toilets were very well maintained and they have big kitchen with utensils. Edinburgh is one of my favourite locations and this hostel played a main role. P.s. This is not a party hostel :)