Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

A lovely homely hostel, not too far from the sights (walking distance if it's not raining), clean, tidy, lovely staff and the house has excellent kitchens and common areas.

I was staying in the second building. The place was great with a tv in the room and nice facilities - however i was by myself in the room and the building in general was dead. Socializing is half the fun and that lacked here.

I stayed for one night at this hostel in a private room. My room was in a building down the street on the top floor. The room was a decent size and had dark curtains which I loved! It gets so bright during around 4 am so the curtains really worked well. The wifi was free and worked great. The street noise was nonexistent and the building I was in was very quiet. I'm not sure if the the main building was noisy or if it had a more social atmosphere as I didn't hang out in the common room there.

We really enjoyed our stay here. We felt it was very clean and secure and the staff was very helpful. Would definitely stay here again!

My friend and I stayed here for a few days. We were pretty satisfied with the hostel, everything was clean and safe and the location was great. We found ourselves wishing that there was more of a community feel while we were there, though - there were no organized group events or pub crawls so we found that many of the people staying there were not willing to hang out. This may have had less to do with the hostel and more to do with the group of people staying there at the time, however.

• 10th Jun 2015

Definitely a place to come back to.

• 5th Jun 2015

Parkingmeter for the motorbike in the garden was great! Trank you!

• 2nd Jun 2015

It was a very nice place for a sightseeing trip in Edinburgh.

Loved the room and the location. It was a little weird that we were not allowed to use the toilets on our floor at night, and had to walk down two flights to use the ground floor toilets. There also weren't any lights on the ground floor near the toilets, so it was difficult to find if it was your first time using them.

• 24th May 2015

A nice quiet place in a nice area near a park; a friendly helpful staff.

• 14th May 2015
  • Russia

Had a great stay with clean rooms, cool layout and architecture and helpful service, but the showers are awful. Need more pressure and one night I waited for a good 5 minutes for the water to heat up before giving up. I know there are signs saying it takes a while, but this was ridiculous. Otherwise had a good experience

• 3rd May 2015

I had a great stay at Argyle Backpackers Hostel.

• 18th Apr 2015

Great location and facilities (kitchens well equipped and maintained), I had a very pleasant stay.

• 11th Apr 2015

Really cute place in a cool part of town. Location was not bad. About a 15 minute walk from the Royal mile, castle

• 10th Apr 2015

Helpful staff, nice bathrooms, wifi connection bad in room, nice location (next to park but 10-15 min to city centre), good value for money.

Overall, I would have to say that this hostel is worth staying at-- the staff is friendly, everything is clean, and the rooms don't smell (something you don't appreciate until its gone). The biggest criticism that I have is that the lockers were quite small, maybe 1'X1'x1.5'. Not large enough for my backpack, which is actually quite small. I had to put the important things in the locker, and then hope no one wanted to steal my clothes. Still, I wouldn't mind staying there again.

very clean room and facilities!

Very clean, great staff, kitchen is awesome, would highly recommend it! Really enjoyed my time there. Location could be a bit better and I wish the common room was open 24-7, the hours were inconvenient. My room was a little stuffy too and the windows wouldn't open fully so we couldn't air it out :(.

This was by far one of the best hostels I have stayed at! For the price I paid I was expecting the bare minimum, but my three friends and I were shocked at the higher than anticipated quality! The rooms are spacious, the facilities in working condition, the security better than most places, and the staff more than willing to help out! The kitchens are better than my own kitchen at home and the beds were surprisingly comfortable! I felt right at home here and would book again in a heartbeat.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Well equipped kitchen. Hot shared shower, bathrooms tidy. Spacious and clean carpeted double room with flat screen tv. Pleasant conservatory/sun room. Great co-op across the street for healthy self cater options. Some mildly constricting time regulations: Couldn't check out before 9:30am unless pre-arranged, living room tv area closed at 10pm, front desk closed until 9:30am. Not deal breakers, but not oriented towards early traveling. Fresh towel hire 1 pound. Overall good deal.