Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

Things which I liked - silence (no traffic or any other noise), the open kitchen and other facilities provided, the location (not really in the heart of the city, but very well located near the university), the helpful staff. Things which I didn't really like - the price - I thought this was a little on the higher side based on the hostels I've stayed in. But then, that's a personal preference. All in all, a really quiet, quaint, convenient place. Wouldn't mind staying there again.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • India

Loved it. Being a little older than the average backpacker I wanted somewhere that was not party central and I found it! A lovely hostel that catered for all of my needs and then some more.

We had a great stay at Argyle Backpackers. The staff was welcoming and helpful, and they kept the hostel very clean. We loved the location! Only a block away from The Meadows and a relatively short walk to the major city attractions. More importantly, you're a safe distance from the noise and congestion of the downtown area. We also enjoyed the local restaurants and pubs. Very friendly area!

• 28th Jun 2014

Two fantastic and fully equipped kitchens. Garden/patio is a fun and relaxing place. Nice bedrooms, good mattresses, storage was ample. Spotlessly clean bathrooms. Hardworking and friendly staff members. Loved the location, plenty of groceries nearby and the park and university are close, although be prepared to walk 10-15 mins to the center but Edinburgh is a big city. Would stay again!

A little bit outside of the city centre but not much

The receptionist was really lovely, very friendly and helpful. The room itself was ok, had TV and a sink in it, bed was comfy enough. i did bang my head three times as the room was kinda pokey. the shower was ok but i wasnt sure what the towel situation was, just seemed to be a load of random towels left on the bannistars to dry over night, i had to rifle through and find the least damp one in the morning. overall good experiance.

• 5th Jun 2014

We stayed in the hostel for two days and we loved the place. We arrived very late but the staff left the keys, in a secure place, and a note were we had all the information we needed. They were always helpful and friendly and there was many places in the hostel were one can socialize. It's close to a beautiful park and not very far from the city.

You get what you pay for, but this was a good bargain, and I would stay here again. It was clean, quiet, and the staff responded promptly. I've read some reviews about problems at the front desk, but that was far from my experience. There are a lot of great places to eat closeby, hot showers, grocery, wireless internet worked well and was included, and was reasonable walking distance from the center of town. Also, they have female/male only dorms available.

Great hostel with a welcoming atmosphere. Though I only stayed for a night, I met some great people and had loads of fun. Great place for a student like myself, who wanted to visit the University of Edinburgh. Oh, and I am really sorry for forgetting to return my towel. I accidentally left it at the bathroom.

• 25th May 2014
  • Japan

Great hostel, great value for money, staff were really nice, friendly and helpful, no curfew.. comfy and quiet nights sleep.. well located with a couple of nice pubs, greengrocers, sandwich shop and of course the meadows all at the door step. I would certainly recommend this hostel to others.

• 21st May 2014

It is good as it is near the Meadow Park and you can take a good walk everyday if going to the city centre and it is nice. Only beware that there is no lift and so you have to consider if you have big luggages to carry. It may not be suitable also to people who like partying as it is a quite hostal.

Stayed in twin bed for a couple of days. Its very close to Old town, but the neighborhood itself is a little dead. Quite clean and friendly staff, decent wifi.

I ended up extending my stay at Argyle Backpackers because I liked the hostel and the town so much. I liked that it was not a party hostel, but rather a very friendly place to meet people of all ages and backgrounds. The kitchens and bathrooms were well maintained, and the bed was comfortable enough. The receptionists were always extremely kind and helpful. In terms of location, it is in a quiet and enjoyable neighborhood about 10-15minutes away from the center of the Old Town.

• 11th May 2014

Nice, little hostel just outside of the city center... was about a 20 minute walk from the train/bus station. Pros: free wifi, nice common area, multiple kitchens to cook in, spacious rooms with comfortable beds, good showers. Close to a bar and a beautiful park. No real cons, just hoped for a bit more of a social element from the hostel. Seems like most people just do there own thing. I loved the city of Edinburgh, and this hostel was very comfortable. Thanks!

Stayed here one night passing through Edinburgh, room was spacious with adequately sized lockers plus a cupboard fit hanging things. Kitchens are big, as are the fridges, onlydo someone had managed to turn the freezer all the way down, but oh well. Rooms to the street can be rather loud so bring ear buds.

Very good hostel. Excellent for a quite stay in Edinburgh. Staff are exceptional. Nice common tv area and kitchens. Feels more like a home rather than a backpackers.

Good hostel. Not the best i have been but a good one. Well located after a short walk through a park from the old town centre. Clean and friendly. I was happy to find free REAL coffee in the kitchen. Doesn't seem to be a party hostel, which is what we were looking for. The only bad thing, is that somebody was drilling at 9am in the morning on a Saturday.

The location is perfect and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The only thing I found a bit strange was that we didn't have any towels in the room. You have to hire them from reception and unfortunately we didn't realise this until reception had closed for the night. Otherwise our stay was great and I would definitely recommend this hostel to our friends.

One of the best places I've stayed. Clean, comfortable rooms, nice kitchen, location close to city centre but far enough for it to not be noisy (also next to an awesome park). WiFi could use a boost to the upstairs rooms and the common areas could have a later curfew than 10 pm (especially on weekends), but other than that no complaint from me!

I am quite happy with the Argyle Backpackers. But no body is perfect and things can be improved. It also depends what you are looking for. Here are the highlights: The location is great, in a quiet street, from 15 minutes walking to the Royal Mile. It s clean, but I did not like the smell around, maybe it was just me. One of the shower of the first floor, the water is not very hot but they warn you. Staff could be a little bit more cheerful. Free left overs system is great (toileteries and food

• 17th Apr 2014