Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

Too few toilets, very poor general cleanliness. A 10 GBP deposit for the keys seems to be too much.

Superb rooms at great value, will def be re booking for the next rugby trip

Stayed in private double - B

A very pleasant stay. A lovely big old building. Lots of rooms. Very homely. A lovely fire. And free use of a mac computer.

I stayed at this hostel on New Years Eve. It was a nice hostel. The only thing really pissed me off is that they promised me to do the bank transfer for my deposit but they never did it.

This hostel is in a great location and the décor and atmosphere are great. We were placed in a separate building 50 yards down the street from reception but we had no complaints about the accommodation. The room was clean and cosy without being stiflingly hot and the bed was comfortable. Very disappointing that there was no toilet roll in the bathroom at any point in the 18 hours we were there, however. We had to go to the shops and buy some ourselves as there was no reception in our building.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

First time in Hostel, was not sure how it will be. After the experience will them, I think Hostels are the best. Clean, well equipped kitchen, Nice comfy beds, helpful staff, location is 10-15 mins walking distance from the main street but that is the best thing to get a nice relaxing time in evening and night.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • India

Had a lovely time in this hostel! Felt very homely. It was a little bit out of the city centre but it was a lovely walk through 'The Meadows' to get there. Will definitely stay again if I'm back in Edinburgh! :D

Great place, family friendly. We will stay there again!

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Poland

I'm torn. On one hand, I had a great time meeting people & found the hostel community inviting. I also really enjoyed where it was located in the city. On the other hand, MULTIPLE washrooms at MULTIPLE times where without toilet paper and/or hand soap. I stayed for nearly a week and wiping one's butt crack with the cardboard from the toilet roll gets old, FAST! And there was mould and enough of it to be gross...and maybe unhealthy. If cleanliness was maintained, it would have been perfect.

• 1st Oct 2014

Staff was nice but overwhelmed. First night was double-booked along with several other guests. Poor organization at the front desk (they were using a paper binder with scratched out entries all over). No lockers in the new room, and the door lock seemed loose / shoddy. Overheard guest laundry never done on time, didn't even check names if you left luggage to pick up. Nice sunroom and so-so bathrooms, but overall was dirty / dingy and first floor and TV room smelled TERRIBLE (think dead mouse).

• 26th Sep 2014

I had problems by the check in: I had to wait a very long time because of a discussion between the overbordend staff with check out guestes. I booked a doubel room for 50 Pounds each night, for 4 nights, a towel costs add. 1 Pound. I received a nice room in the second floor - no elevator. Unfortunately the lock was out of order. I received another room, who looked to over flowed garbage in the sher toilet; except the good bed, cramed-full with unusefull furniture, In the next days it was clean.

Staff at the reception hardly ever present. One of the fridges had a block of ice on the back wall so big it could've sunk the Titanic. Kitchens were filthy most of the time (not exactly the staff's fault, since the guests are supposed to do their own cleaning), and I only managed to see some of the promised free tea / coffee once. The place is mouldy, not recommended for asthmatics.

Very clean and friendly. Really relaxed vibe and will go back to stay when in Edinburgh

• 13th Sep 2014

Perfect place for the value. Everything I expected.