Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great place, family friendly. We will stay there again!

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Poland

I'm torn. On one hand, I had a great time meeting people & found the hostel community inviting. I also really enjoyed where it was located in the city. On the other hand, MULTIPLE washrooms at MULTIPLE times where without toilet paper and/or hand soap. I stayed for nearly a week and wiping one's butt crack with the cardboard from the toilet roll gets old, FAST! And there was mould and enough of it to be gross...and maybe unhealthy. If cleanliness was maintained, it would have been perfect.

• 1st Oct 2014

Staff was nice but overwhelmed. First night was double-booked along with several other guests. Poor organization at the front desk (they were using a paper binder with scratched out entries all over). No lockers in the new room, and the door lock seemed loose / shoddy. Overheard guest laundry never done on time, didn't even check names if you left luggage to pick up. Nice sunroom and so-so bathrooms, but overall was dirty / dingy and first floor and TV room smelled TERRIBLE (think dead mouse).

• 26th Sep 2014

I had problems by the check in: I had to wait a very long time because of a discussion between the overbordend staff with check out guestes. I booked a doubel room for 50 Pounds each night, for 4 nights, a towel costs add. 1 Pound. I received a nice room in the second floor - no elevator. Unfortunately the lock was out of order. I received another room, who looked to over flowed garbage in the sher toilet; except the good bed, cramed-full with unusefull furniture, In the next days it was clean.

Staff at the reception hardly ever present. One of the fridges had a block of ice on the back wall so big it could've sunk the Titanic. Kitchens were filthy most of the time (not exactly the staff's fault, since the guests are supposed to do their own cleaning), and I only managed to see some of the promised free tea / coffee once. The place is mouldy, not recommended for asthmatics.

Very clean and friendly. Really relaxed vibe and will go back to stay when in Edinburgh

• 13th Sep 2014

Perfect place for the value. Everything I expected.

I hope the internet is back - that was the only thing missing from the otherwise great experience :-)

This is a great hostel if you're looking to stay somewhere quiet and without all the party animals. It has two really nice kitchens and feels more like a bed and breakfast rather than a backpackers. Would definitely stay here again.

A very nice hostel! We arrived 4 hours before the usual check-in time and the staff were kind enough the prepare the room for us right away. The room was tiny, but had a TV, comfortable bed, big window and a safe.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Poland

What a lovely, homely hostel. Stayed here whilst performing at the Fringe and felt like a little home. Is a little far out of town and perhaps a tad more money than some of the other hostels, but definitely worth it.

Great hostel, staff are helpful, would stay here again.

This is my first ever review of a hostel, altough i been to plenty. Its a great deal for the money, nice, clean and with good vibe. Kitchen is clean and complete as well as the bathrooms. I recommend it to backpackers.

• 18th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

Things which I liked - silence (no traffic or any other noise), the open kitchen and other facilities provided, the location (not really in the heart of the city, but very well located near the university), the helpful staff. Things which I didn't really like - the price - I thought this was a little on the higher side based on the hostels I've stayed in. But then, that's a personal preference. All in all, a really quiet, quaint, convenient place. Wouldn't mind staying there again.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • India

Loved it. Being a little older than the average backpacker I wanted somewhere that was not party central and I found it! A lovely hostel that catered for all of my needs and then some more.

Clean and quite hostel close to the park "the meadows". It's not so far to get downtown. In the two big kitchens you can find every equipment you need to cook. The free computer only offered very slow internet. The hostel has a beautiful small garden so we could have breakfast sitting in the sun, which was very nice. There is a small market on the other side of the street where you buy food. Recommendation!

Though I stay frequently in hostels, this was my first time bringing my mother and sister along with me and I'm very glad that this was their first experience. My mom couldn't believe how useful and well-outfitted the kitchen was, and my sister said she felt more safe staying alone in the room than she ever had in a more traditional hotel setting. She was also very nervous about sharing a bathroom but didn't have one problem with the cleanliness and we never had to wait to use it.

We had a great stay at Argyle Backpackers. The staff was welcoming and helpful, and they kept the hostel very clean. We loved the location! Only a block away from The Meadows and a relatively short walk to the major city attractions. More importantly, you're a safe distance from the noise and congestion of the downtown area. We also enjoyed the local restaurants and pubs. Very friendly area!

• 28th Jun 2014

Two fantastic and fully equipped kitchens. Garden/patio is a fun and relaxing place. Nice bedrooms, good mattresses, storage was ample. Spotlessly clean bathrooms. Hardworking and friendly staff members. Loved the location, plenty of groceries nearby and the park and university are close, although be prepared to walk 10-15 mins to the center but Edinburgh is a big city. Would stay again!

Great facilities and location (only 15 minute walk to everything, and you are right next to the Meadows and the University, which is a very pretty and safe area), very nice staff, laundry services were a plus, and wifi was good. Overall I would recommend this hostel!