Argyle Backpackers Reviews

14 Argyle Place, Marchmont, Edinburgh, Scotland

Very impressed with Argyle! Stayed two nights and found this hostel clean, comfortable beds and easy to get parking on the street :)

Really nice hostel in a quiet area. Almost has a B&B feel about it as it is a converted house on a residential street. Rooms were very nice, comfortable beds, quiet and clean. Toilet and shower facilities were also clean. There are two kitchens downstairs should you want to cook, and there is also a lovely dining area in a conservatory kind of room. It is a fair walk from Waverly Station, maybe 15-20 min, but it is doable if you don't mind a walk!! Seems like a very safe area to walk around!

Off season I enjoyed staying at this homey well appointed hostel. i had the place to myself and as a lone female , never felt insecure. The place is homey and warm with well appointed kitchen for my simple needs. loved the fresh ground coffee and the breadshop across the road. will definitely stay here again.

• 7th Mar 2015
  • Singapore

I was very impressed at the standard of accommodation and it's at a very domestic scale and you really feel at home and can get to know people staying at the hostel. It''s located within a neighbourhood and you really feel you're living within a neighbourhood with shops and pubs close by. Having 2 kitchens is great and allows you to prepare food when you like it. It's very well organised and environmentally friendly. The staff are great too and very helpful.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Too few toilets, very poor general cleanliness. A 10 GBP deposit for the keys seems to be too much.

Superb rooms at great value, will def be re booking for the next rugby trip

Stayed in private double - B

A very pleasant stay. A lovely big old building. Lots of rooms. Very homely. A lovely fire. And free use of a mac computer.

I stayed at this hostel on New Years Eve. It was a nice hostel. The only thing really pissed me off is that they promised me to do the bank transfer for my deposit but they never did it.

This hostel is in a great location and the décor and atmosphere are great. We were placed in a separate building 50 yards down the street from reception but we had no complaints about the accommodation. The room was clean and cosy without being stiflingly hot and the bed was comfortable. Very disappointing that there was no toilet roll in the bathroom at any point in the 18 hours we were there, however. We had to go to the shops and buy some ourselves as there was no reception in our building.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

First time in Hostel, was not sure how it will be. After the experience will them, I think Hostels are the best. Clean, well equipped kitchen, Nice comfy beds, helpful staff, location is 10-15 mins walking distance from the main street but that is the best thing to get a nice relaxing time in evening and night.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • India

Had a lovely time in this hostel! Felt very homely. It was a little bit out of the city centre but it was a lovely walk through 'The Meadows' to get there. Will definitely stay again if I'm back in Edinburgh! :D

Great place, family friendly. We will stay there again!

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Poland

I'm torn. On one hand, I had a great time meeting people & found the hostel community inviting. I also really enjoyed where it was located in the city. On the other hand, MULTIPLE washrooms at MULTIPLE times where without toilet paper and/or hand soap. I stayed for nearly a week and wiping one's butt crack with the cardboard from the toilet roll gets old, FAST! And there was mould and enough of it to be gross...and maybe unhealthy. If cleanliness was maintained, it would have been perfect.

• 1st Oct 2014