Ariki Backpackers Reviews

No lockers at all! .

quite average

• 18th Apr 2014
  • South Africa

Great Location, the rooms are a bit outdated but it was somewhat charming anyway.

Very friendly and helpful staff. But how can you place a hostel on top of a nightclub? Apparently the same owner too. So the place is not as nice thu - sat...

Location is not everything! Apparently queen Elizabeth stayed at the hostel when it was a hotel, I don't think they've changed it since! The beds were rocky and squeaky, the bar downstairs has karaoke until 1am and I had a whole issue in the morning with the light in the bathroom! I stayed in New Plymouth two more nights but moved to another hostel.

Really good, I was surprised it wasn't busier. Ideal location, friendly and hard-working staff, lots of bathrooms and a big kitchen. Highly recommended. I was very happy that the doors self lock when you close them, which is a rarity with hostels without swipecards. My only bit of advice is not to pay the ridiculous $5/hr for wifi; the public library right across the road has free wifi, and it's excellent. In summary, a very nice hostel with expensive wifi and no atmosphere.

We were disappointed with this hostel, the room quality and facilitties were poor, there was no parking and at the time we were there a large group were staying who basically hijacked the entire place taking over the kitchen, fridge, terrance and when the weather was bad sitting on the floor outside our room which was noisy and made it difficult to get in and out. The staff were good but did not make up for the rest.

Excellent location, right beside the bus stop and beach!! The staff are soooo friendly, helpful and accommodating! They allowed me to keep my bags in storage for over 24 hrs after I'd checked out and let me print out a confirmation page too! Lovely rooms and facilities!! Definitely stay here!!!

On the whole a very good backpackers, albeit slightly tired. the only things I would like to see in the rooms would be lockers of some sort and perhaps a few more power points. Other than that its a great place and a great location, and I loved the balcony!

Nice hostel with warm welcoming staff. Good location with comfy beds. A good night sleep is allways appreciated and we slept well even though the bar close by had karaoke on high volume.

Great place - clean and well equipped. Owner very helpful and friendly, gave us a lot of advice for further trip. Met amazing people there as common areas help you connect with others. Mind though that the place is quite old, so even being clean it looks a bit run down, which gives it a unique character - some might nevertheless see it as disadvantage.

This was an excellent hostel! in the city centre and across the road from the beach. There were no lockers in the room, but he staff were amazing and beds super comfortable.

Loved the Hostel. One of the best I've ever stayed in. Staff was very accommodating!

Just like home! Lovely cosy old worn-out building. The friendliest service I've got in NZ. The noise from the bar downstairs is loud at nights.

Staff is excellent, very very helpful! I would recommend this hostel.

Excellent, friendly, very helpful staff made all the difference here. A comfortable stay, though the dorm room was quite cramped and had to go through another dorm to reach it. Also, no security lockers. Fortunately the staff let me store my bags in the office more than once.

Great location right near the coast and the InterCity bus stop. Big kitchen available for cooking. Nice deck to sit out on.

Really enjoyed my stay! Just a bit noisy in the night, but not everytime.

Very happy with the staff here, all very helpful and friendly. Some of the chairs/couches in the TV room were a bit old but still comfortable. I stayed in a lovely single room which had a double and single bed with small wardrobe and ensuite shower/toilet. Room was spacious. Only downside is the pub downstairs and the noise from there kept me awake until early hours of the morning. I suggest that people should bring ear plugs if they are light sleepers. Outside balcany was a nice touch.

Its a very nice hostel room is vert clean and helpful staff I was staying mixed dorm at my first night and they offered me if I would like to move to femal dorm and put me to female dorm !! Bit far from nearest beaches but very close to bus stop so I def come back next time I go to NP

View all New Plymouth Hostels