Around The World Backpackers Reviews

314 Barbadoes Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Good to have unlimited wireless and two unlimited-time computers for internet. Helpful attentive staff.

• 28th Oct 2014

My first hostel in NZ and very different from the ones I am used to throughout Southeast Asia. An extremely friendly lady at the front desk, excellent kitchen facilities, a very nice back yard. The lockable rooms seem to have 2 bunk beds each but lack storage facilities such as lockers. (There seemed to be the possibility to lock stuff with the staff during the day.) Toilets/showers are relatively old, but okay-clean. No alcohol allowed in the locker. Crowd was mostly ~20-year old backpackers.

• 10th Oct 2014

Thanks for your review. We have plans to add lockers to the hostel. Have a great trip around NZ.

the kitchen would need a proper cleaning, as well do the bathrooms. the garden area is quite nice. I was lucky my room was to the street cause there was a lot of noise from the kitchen area. the room was very basic but every bed had a lamp and a socket.

I liked that this was one of the few places in all of New Zealand with unlimited free wifi. I also booked this place because the towel was included for free. But I didn't realize until late that there was no towel on my bed. I went down to the office as soon as I found out BUT IT ALREADY CLOSED 10 minutes early. Usually this would not be a big deal but I was leaving at 3 am for my long flight home. I really wanted to take a shower before I left. Very disappointed.

Thanks for your comments. We have night managers who live onsite, there is a bell to ring if you have any issues perhaps you did not see the sign at reception? Our office closes at 9pm but the staff are always available as long as its a respectable time for spare towels more free wifi etc.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. When we checked in the lady on the desk gave us lots of info on Christchurch and suggested some places to grab dinner as well as giving us a full tour of the hostel. It's very clean and has everything you might need during your stay. Short walk to shops, restaurants and centre. Would definitely stay here again.

• 29th Jul 2014

thanks for your great comments, all the best with the rest of your trip.

Room and bed cleaned and walk to city center only in 15 mins and staff very friendly basically this backpackers is very good!

Thanks for your review. Enjoy the rest of your time in NZ.

One of the dirtiest hostels I've been to. The bathroom was constantly disgusting and literally didn't want to put my stuff anywhere in it. The kitchen was far too small for the amount of people in the hostel (it was full due to lack of hostels in Christchurch) and there was no living area big enough to really create any atmosphere. Felt a bit like a prison. Wouldn't stay here again. The only positive was the location which was near the intercity bus stop and town centre.

Very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Yes we are small cozy hostel. Our showers are clean but the floor gets wet. You even gave the staff a terrible rating, we went our of our way to help you so I am surprised you rated us so badly. I hope you had a good flight home all the best.

The bathroom was the dirtiest i have seen. Rooms were clean and tidy though

We appreciate your review, I am guessing the shower was made dirty from a previous guests. The showers blocks are cleaned everyday and are checked on every shift. All the best with your trip.

Staff were a bit rude when we checked in seemed like we were disturbing them...?! Walls are paper thin so all the music and noise from downstairs could be heard quite clearly in our room right until about 5am which was not so noise. Light and socket at each bed was good.

Thanks for your review. Walls are concrete but windows are not double glazing so that could have been where the noise was coming in. We are a very busy hostel so our staff members can have a lot on at once. We always get great reviews about our customer service, so sorry to hear you did not receive the same. All the best with your trip.

Small hostel with all the necessary facilities, but nothing extraordinary. I thought it was a bit too small. The room didn't have much space for luggage, the kitchen was over crowded, and they don't have a common area only a small separate TV and computer room. For one night it was fine, the staff was also very helpful and friendly.

Thanks for your review, yes we are a small, cozy hostel, we hope you enjoyed the unlimited free wifi, plenty of power plugs and hooks in all the dorms. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Loved it!!!!

Thanks for staying!

Great hostel, friendly staff, free wifi is always a plus and the free BBQ was delicious!! Would definitely recommend staying here!

• 24th May 2014

Thanks for your great comments, so pleased you enjoyed the free wifi, and the free bbq, we want everyone to feel they are getting value for money while staying at the hostel. All the best with your trip.

Nice small hostel. Lovely staff. Slightly out the way from town and common rooms quite small. But lovely stay

Thanks for your review all the best with your travels.

Friendly and helpful staffs...Facilities are very clean...Good place to chill out...

Thanks for your comments, and pleased you enjoyed your time at ATW.

The staff was great. Aron the Hungarian guy is awesome and helped us a lot. Thanks for everything.

Thanks for reviewing us.