Around The World Backpackers Reviews

314 Barbadoes Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Nice place to stay in Christchurch, about a ten minute walk from the centre. It is clean and has really good facilities. Staff could be a bit more friendly but aside from that, a really well managed and comfortable place to stay.

Amazing staff and great hostel

Thanks so much for your lovely review all the best with your trip.

The staff were so friendly! Everything was clean and I would gladly stay there again!

Thanks for your review all the best with the rest of your trip.

Terrible wifi!!! Takes you lots of time to get online and keepa disconecting you all the time. By te way, the hostel just gives you 1 password, which allows you to connect only one devide at time. Not good for any backpacker.

I wish you had come to see us about it disconnecting.Its a pity you blame us for the wifi issue, the hostel pays for the free guests unlimited wifi so we would have contacted our supplier to find out why you were having problems.The wifi is available through out the hostel and in the garden.We give out as many vouchers you want for all the different device's that mayb used at the same time. We give out 1GB at a time but if you wanted 10GB that is fine a new voucher is given out when you run out.

Very good hostel, within walking distance to the center. Nice garden and good rooms really. Kitchen is a bit small but that's ok. I recommand for sure.

Friendly staff. Good kitchen facilities. Would be good if the rooms had storage lockers, but otherwise no complaints :-)

Thanks for reviewing us, hope to have lockers early next year. Happy Christmas

The staff was amazing and the rooms and facilities were very clean and well kept! Only and short walk to the city center as well.

Lovely review thanks so much have a great christmas

Very friendly people and relaxed atmosphere.

• 1st Dec 2014

Cheers have a great christmas

Unlimited Wifi is great! The place was very clean, comfortably small (four person dorm!), and had good facilities for cooking, TV, internet. Personable staff, only about 10-15 minutes walk from the city center. I saw a cleaner there each day, and she did a great job of keeping everything sanitary and tidy!

Thanks for your nice review. Merry Christmas

I was lucky, I booked the wrong day and arrived a day before my reservation, and I've got the last bed. The beds were very comfy, ok, I was road tripping for about 2 weeks before

• 21st Nov 2014

Thanks for your review nice you picked our hostel to relax.

Great place to crash for a couple of nights.

Thanks for your review.

Nice place with helpful staff and good atmosphere. The wifi is free and unlimited and fast! Good place to do your laundry as detergent was included in the washing price. Walking distance to city centre, parks and supermarkets.

Thanks for your nice review, enjoy your time in the South Island.

Great hostel. Lovely reception lady, Connie who was very helpful and friendly. A great atmosphere in the hostel with free wifi, tea, coffee, seasoning and spices! A bit of a walk to the centre not too much though around 10-15 minutes. Supermarkets are 20 minutes away, Countdown and Pak n Save which are across the road from each other. Christchurch has some great murals and street art, lovely botanical garden and shops in some funky shipping containers.

Thanks for your great review, all the best with the rest of your trip.

Overall a lovely little hostel, everyone was friendly, it was clean, beds were comfy, it was close enough to town and the free BBQ was a bonus. Very welcoming.

Thanks for your comments all the best with the rest of your trip.

Unissex showers - I was taking my shower while a guy was shaving (!!!). Strange neighborhood. I simply didnt like it because I've stayed in better hostels.

We do have a female bathroom?? Im sorry you did not like your stay with us.

Only four beds in a dorm, which is very nice. Walking distance to the center of town. Free bbq on Saturday, good to meet other people. A mix of people who are staying longer and people who just stay one night. No lockers in room. Nice outside area.I enjoyed my stay a lot.

thanks for your great review, enjoy your travels in the South Island.

Good to have unlimited wireless and two unlimited-time computers for internet. Helpful attentive staff.

• 28th Oct 2014

Thanks for your great review we work hard for reviews like yours. All the best.

My first hostel in NZ and very different from the ones I am used to throughout Southeast Asia. An extremely friendly lady at the front desk, excellent kitchen facilities, a very nice back yard. The lockable rooms seem to have 2 bunk beds each but lack storage facilities such as lockers. (There seemed to be the possibility to lock stuff with the staff during the day.) Toilets/showers are relatively old, but okay-clean. No alcohol allowed in the locker. Crowd was mostly ~20-year old backpackers.

Thanks for your review. We have plans to add lockers to the hostel. Have a great trip around NZ.

the kitchen would need a proper cleaning, as well do the bathrooms. the garden area is quite nice. I was lucky my room was to the street cause there was a lot of noise from the kitchen area. the room was very basic but every bed had a lamp and a socket.

Thanks for your review we always appreciate positive criticism. 2 days ago the kitchen got painted and both kitchen and toilets have had a spring clean. We are currently in the process of getting pouches made for every bed so phones, wallets, water bottles etc can be kept in them. All the best with the rest of your trip.

I liked that this was one of the few places in all of New Zealand with unlimited free wifi. I also booked this place because the towel was included for free. But I didn't realize until late that there was no towel on my bed. I went down to the office as soon as I found out BUT IT ALREADY CLOSED 10 minutes early. Usually this would not be a big deal but I was leaving at 3 am for my long flight home. I really wanted to take a shower before I left. Very disappointed.

Thanks for your comments. We have night managers who live onsite, there is a bell to ring if you have any issues perhaps you did not see the sign at reception? Our office closes at 9pm but the staff are always available as long as its a respectable time for spare towels more free wifi etc.

View all Christchurch Hostels