Around The World Backpackers Reviews

314 Barbadoes Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Has a very social kitchen and lovely garden, this is definitely a place to visit in the summer. Only issue for me is that people who were staying there for a long time and working in the city tend to dominate the place, which detracts from the feel somewhat.

thanks for your nice review, all the best with your trip.

I only stayed for one night. The bed was comfortable and each had its own light and plug. It seemed like a nice social place even though I didn't really get a chance to socialize due to my short stay.

Thanks for the review hope to see you back again in the future.

It was just all right. Not clean and room isolation was terribly poor. The staff was very nice though because I arrived after reception hours and had prepared my key and wifi code and all.

Pro: Each bed has its own power plug! such an advantage. Lucky I got room 8 (facing front side) and away from kitchen (backside) where party and noise come from mostly. Free internet!, One private toilet/shower is advantage too. Cons: Toilet is not clean. Noise from kitchen, people partying,.so noisy especially in the evening. No printing service. Suggestion: Extend the kitchen area so it become larger, or put a shade/ big umbrella near kitchen outside the kitchen (grass area).

thanks for reviewing us and pleased you enjoyed your stay. We take the umbrella down for the winter, to extend the kitchen would be a great idea but would the landlord agree to this?? there is a printing service, information is in the computer room as to which email to send the printing to etc.

As hostels go in Christchurch this would be one of the better ones. Small friendly hostel. Facilities were clean and dorm beds comfortable. Would stay again

thanks for rating us, hope to see you again one day.

Not too far from the CBD. Really nice rooms with plugs for each bed. People staying there are mostly longstayers but were really nice and tried building up an atmosphere. Kitchen was nice. Easy acces to airport via cheap shuttle

Thanks for reviewing us, incorrect about long termers we only have 2 guests staying long term with us at the moment. We do often get people stopping for a week before they head home or start their trip around NZ so maybe this is what you meant?

I stayed in a mixed 4 bed dorm and the room was comfy. Very big minus that there were no lockers for valuables. I was lucky to share a room with a Swedish staff member, otherwise I wouldn't have known where the bathrooms are located. The bathroom only for ladies was clean and ok but the mixed one upstairs smelled like mould. Plus for a comfy bed, personal socket and personal reading light.

I had a good start in nz with this hostel. It has a nice atmosphere and the free BBQ was awesome even for vegetarians. I'm happy that I've stayed there.

• 13th Mar 2015

Thanks for reviewing us and pleased you enjoyed your stay.

it will be good if can provide locker service. as the staff only show you the room and washroom... seems they even not bother to tell you more for the city and hostel facilities

Did you ask the staff what there is to do in the city? we have plenty of brochures and posters on the walls telling you what activities you can do while staying. Our staff are very friendly, a lot of hostels do not even show you to your room, maybe this is your first stay in NZ in a hostel, we go out of our way to make sure our guest have a good stay with us. All the best with the rest of your trip.

View all Christchurch Hostels