Around The World Backpackers Reviews

314 Barbadoes Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Pro: Each bed has its own power plug! such an advantage. Lucky I got room 8 (facing front side) and away from kitchen (backside) where party and noise come from mostly. Free internet!, One private toilet/shower is advantage too. Cons: Toilet is not clean. Noise from kitchen, people partying,.so noisy especially in the evening. No printing service. Suggestion: Extend the kitchen area so it become larger, or put a shade/ big umbrella near kitchen outside the kitchen (grass area).

Not too far from the CBD. Really nice rooms with plugs for each bed. People staying there are mostly longstayers but were really nice and tried building up an atmosphere. Kitchen was nice. Easy acces to airport via cheap shuttle

I stayed in a mixed 4 bed dorm and the room was comfy. Very big minus that there were no lockers for valuables. I was lucky to share a room with a Swedish staff member, otherwise I wouldn't have known where the bathrooms are located. The bathroom only for ladies was clean and ok but the mixed one upstairs smelled like mould. Plus for a comfy bed, personal socket and personal reading light.

I had a good start in nz with this hostel. It has a nice atmosphere and the free BBQ was awesome even for vegetarians. I'm happy that I've stayed there.

• 13th Mar 2015

Thanks for reviewing us and pleased you enjoyed your stay.

it will be good if can provide locker service. as the staff only show you the room and washroom... seems they even not bother to tell you more for the city and hostel facilities

Did you ask the staff what there is to do in the city? we have plenty of brochures and posters on the walls telling you what activities you can do while staying. Our staff are very friendly, a lot of hostels do not even show you to your room, maybe this is your first stay in NZ in a hostel, we go out of our way to make sure our guest have a good stay with us. All the best with the rest of your trip.

Enjoyable stay although I wasn't happy about the toilet situation, one female toilet+shower but only a unisex toilet+ shower for the boys to use......takin a $#!? While a female is taking a shower. Thought it was rather sexest that the girls got alacated a toilet +shower room while the boys have to share

Overall this is a nice hostel. I stayed here two years ago, and whilst it is still good, I couldn't help but feel it wasn't to the standard previously. The dorm rooms are nice, good beds, which look pretty new. Good cooking facilities, nice back yard to chill out in, and a computer room to use free of charge. Downsides, the staff on reception (an American guy and girl I think), not particularly helpful and had a bit of attitude. And the cleanliness of the showers was not great

Thanks for reviewing us, you mention you have stayed before thanks for staying again. Our bathrooms are getting older we are currently upgrading them, did you notice the nice reading lights beside every bed and the pouches to put you possessions in? we also give out free wifi which was not available a couple of years ago. All the best with the rest of your trip.

One of the better hostels I have stayed in in NZ. Bathrooms upstairs were very clean, if a bit small. The tv room was comfortable and plenty of channels. The kitchen was a good size and we'll laid out. The Wi-Fi wasn't working when I was there, they provided us another option but it seemed to struggle with all the people using it. Assuming the actual wifi had been working, it was free and available in all rooms.

Thanks for reviewing us, sorry the wifi was not working normally it is very reliable, technology sometimes lets us down.

kitchen, tv room and pc room open all the time so that was awesome. beds comfortable and seemed new. power points for everyone in the room. great location short walk to cbd.

thanks for reviewing us.

We got a bad impression of this place as soon as we checked in as the girl on the desk wasn't exactly friendly. Fortunately the owner and the other staff were nice and helpful when we asked for anything. We were put in a 4 bed dorm with 2 long stayers that were cleaning at the hostel. It would be ideal if they were in a dorm with other long stay people as they tend to mix with each other more anyway so it made the atmosphere a bit strange for us. Good free wifi. Clean kitchen and bathrooms too.

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your room, we don't have longtermers during the summer and normally our cleaners are very chatty, all the best with the rest of your trip.

Decent place to stay while in Christchurch. Free WIFI was good, had some issues with it on the last day but the staff were quick to get it sorted out which was nice. Beds were comfortable as well and had reading lights/power outlets next to each bed which was nice. Bathrooms were alright, clean but looked a little run down. Had a nice garden area out back which was nice to hang out in and was fairly close to the city centre. Overall, decent enough place to stay if you're visiting Christchurch.

Thanks for staying with us and reviewing the hostel.

Best beds I've ever slept in at a hostel! Very comfortable with nice sheets. Great kitchen with many useful "gadgets". Although Christchurch is not exactly the place to be... We just stayed for the night and then got up early next morning to move on but this hostel was definitely worth a stay and probably the best part of Christchurch.

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Great to hear you had a good sleep, and enjoyed our facilities, happy travels.

I had a nice stay, good mattress (quite important when you travel), nice staff.

Nice place to stay in Christchurch, about a ten minute walk from the centre. It is clean and has really good facilities. Staff could be a bit more friendly but aside from that, a really well managed and comfortable place to stay.

Pleased you enjoyed your stay with us all the best with our travels

It's a small hostel so it's very accessible and the owner is really nice! Also they have free high quality wifi, so.. awesome! Could watch all my netflix videos :D A little bit more cleaning in the showers wouldn't hurt, but overall very good hostel!

• 19th Jan 2015

Thanks for your review, pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

Amazing staff and great hostel

Thanks so much for your lovely review all the best with your trip.

The staff were so friendly! Everything was clean and I would gladly stay there again!

Thanks for your review all the best with the rest of your trip.

Terrible wifi!!! Takes you lots of time to get online and keepa disconecting you all the time. By te way, the hostel just gives you 1 password, which allows you to connect only one devide at time. Not good for any backpacker.

I wish you had come to see us about it disconnecting.Its a pity you blame us for the wifi issue, the hostel pays for the free guests unlimited wifi so we would have contacted our supplier to find out why you were having problems.The wifi is available through out the hostel and in the garden.We give out as many vouchers you want for all the different device's that mayb used at the same time. We give out 1GB at a time but if you wanted 10GB that is fine a new voucher is given out when you run out.

Very good hostel, within walking distance to the center. Nice garden and good rooms really. Kitchen is a bit small but that's ok. I recommand for sure.

Friendly staff. Good kitchen facilities. Would be good if the rooms had storage lockers, but otherwise no complaints :-)

Thanks for reviewing us, hope to have lockers early next year. Happy Christmas

View all Christchurch Hostels