Around The World Backpackers Reviews

314 Barbadoes Street, Christchurch, New Zealand

Friendly staff. Good kitchen facilities. Would be good if the rooms had storage lockers, but otherwise no complaints :-)

The staff was amazing and the rooms and facilities were very clean and well kept! Only and short walk to the city center as well.

Lovely review thanks so much have a great christmas

Very friendly people and relaxed atmosphere.

• 1st Dec 2014

Cheers have a great christmas

Unlimited Wifi is great! The place was very clean, comfortably small (four person dorm!), and had good facilities for cooking, TV, internet. Personable staff, only about 10-15 minutes walk from the city center. I saw a cleaner there each day, and she did a great job of keeping everything sanitary and tidy!

Thanks for your nice review. Merry Christmas

I was lucky, I booked the wrong day and arrived a day before my reservation, and I've got the last bed. The beds were very comfy, ok, I was road tripping for about 2 weeks before

• 21st Nov 2014

Thanks for your review nice you picked our hostel to relax.

Great place to crash for a couple of nights.

Thanks for your review.

Nice place with helpful staff and good atmosphere. The wifi is free and unlimited and fast! Good place to do your laundry as detergent was included in the washing price. Walking distance to city centre, parks and supermarkets.

Thanks for your nice review, enjoy your time in the South Island.

Great hostel. Lovely reception lady, Connie who was very helpful and friendly. A great atmosphere in the hostel with free wifi, tea, coffee, seasoning and spices! A bit of a walk to the centre not too much though around 10-15 minutes. Supermarkets are 20 minutes away, Countdown and Pak n Save which are across the road from each other. Christchurch has some great murals and street art, lovely botanical garden and shops in some funky shipping containers.

Thanks for your great review, all the best with the rest of your trip.

Overall a lovely little hostel, everyone was friendly, it was clean, beds were comfy, it was close enough to town and the free BBQ was a bonus. Very welcoming.

Thanks for your comments all the best with the rest of your trip.

Unissex showers - I was taking my shower while a guy was shaving (!!!). Strange neighborhood. I simply didnt like it because I've stayed in better hostels.

We do have a female bathroom?? Im sorry you did not like your stay with us.

Only four beds in a dorm, which is very nice. Walking distance to the center of town. Free bbq on Saturday, good to meet other people. A mix of people who are staying longer and people who just stay one night. No lockers in room. Nice outside area.I enjoyed my stay a lot.

thanks for your great review, enjoy your travels in the South Island.

Good to have unlimited wireless and two unlimited-time computers for internet. Helpful attentive staff.

• 28th Oct 2014

Thanks for your great review we work hard for reviews like yours. All the best.

My first hostel in NZ and very different from the ones I am used to throughout Southeast Asia. An extremely friendly lady at the front desk, excellent kitchen facilities, a very nice back yard. The lockable rooms seem to have 2 bunk beds each but lack storage facilities such as lockers. (There seemed to be the possibility to lock stuff with the staff during the day.) Toilets/showers are relatively old, but okay-clean. No alcohol allowed in the locker. Crowd was mostly ~20-year old backpackers.

• 10th Oct 2014

Thanks for your review. We have plans to add lockers to the hostel. Have a great trip around NZ.

the kitchen would need a proper cleaning, as well do the bathrooms. the garden area is quite nice. I was lucky my room was to the street cause there was a lot of noise from the kitchen area. the room was very basic but every bed had a lamp and a socket.

Thanks for your review we always appreciate positive criticism. 2 days ago the kitchen got painted and both kitchen and toilets have had a spring clean. We are currently in the process of getting pouches made for every bed so phones, wallets, water bottles etc can be kept in them. All the best with the rest of your trip.

I liked that this was one of the few places in all of New Zealand with unlimited free wifi. I also booked this place because the towel was included for free. But I didn't realize until late that there was no towel on my bed. I went down to the office as soon as I found out BUT IT ALREADY CLOSED 10 minutes early. Usually this would not be a big deal but I was leaving at 3 am for my long flight home. I really wanted to take a shower before I left. Very disappointed.

Thanks for your comments. We have night managers who live onsite, there is a bell to ring if you have any issues perhaps you did not see the sign at reception? Our office closes at 9pm but the staff are always available as long as its a respectable time for spare towels more free wifi etc.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. When we checked in the lady on the desk gave us lots of info on Christchurch and suggested some places to grab dinner as well as giving us a full tour of the hostel. It's very clean and has everything you might need during your stay. Short walk to shops, restaurants and centre. Would definitely stay here again.

• 29th Jul 2014

thanks for your great comments, all the best with the rest of your trip.

Room and bed cleaned and walk to city center only in 15 mins and staff very friendly basically this backpackers is very good!

Thanks for your review. Enjoy the rest of your time in NZ.

One of the dirtiest hostels I've been to. The bathroom was constantly disgusting and literally didn't want to put my stuff anywhere in it. The kitchen was far too small for the amount of people in the hostel (it was full due to lack of hostels in Christchurch) and there was no living area big enough to really create any atmosphere. Felt a bit like a prison. Wouldn't stay here again. The only positive was the location which was near the intercity bus stop and town centre.

Very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Yes we are small cozy hostel. Our showers are clean but the floor gets wet. You even gave the staff a terrible rating, we went our of our way to help you so I am surprised you rated us so badly. I hope you had a good flight home all the best.

View all Christchurch Hostels