Arsenal Tavern Backpackers Reviews

175 Blackstock Road, London, England

Good place to stay for autumn trips to London. Typical London atmosphere in this hostel. It is actually separated into pub for locals and bar and accommodation for sleeping guests.

• 28th Aug 2015
  • Czech Republic

Wow how pictures can be deceiving, the communal areas are not bad. 1 shower for every male staying there is hideous and I'm quits sure the HSE would have something to say about broken tiles all over the shower room. A interior scheme of peeling paint and black mold run throughout the hostel giving you the impending feeling of death knocking on your your door. Unless they clean this place up, I won't be going back!

• 24th Aug 2015

Hi and thanks for the review. I think we may have prepared for Halloween a bit too early this year as we didn't mean to scar you so much already! I'll get the decorations taken down asap. Those showers you mention are under repair. It’s why they are closed off with an out of order sign up on them!

Rooms were dirty and over crowded (there were 12 beds as it was meant to be, but the rooms were really small). There was only 1 bathroom for the entire hostel, in which only 1 out of 3 showers was in order. The others looked like a construction site. The hostel takes your ID as a deposit for a room key, and 5 pounds deposit for a locker key. When it rained, the ceiling was leaking and some parts of its parts were falling down! I was moved to another room, but still... Terrible hostel!!!

I have been in many hostels but this one is definitely the worst. It is dirty, the room 102 where I stayed includes ultra huge mold on the wall right next to the beds. I slept on the highest bed (triple bed) which did not even have railing. Stuff is confused, you can not pay by card (hello, you accommodate international people!!!!), they take your ID as a deposit for the key, if you travel with someone they will separate you into different rooms. DO NOT GO THERE, THIS HOSTEL IS A LIFE THREAT!!!!

• 15th Aug 2015
  • Slovakia

Hello and thank you for rating our location so highly, we agree we are in a great area of London. I have double checked room 102 and it does not have any mould. All of you other points are notified to guests before booking and arrival. Enjoy the rest of you travels!

I guess you get what you pay for. There was 1 working males shower for the whole hostel. And then when you had a shower, you still felt dirty. Capert in areas had dampness. Room i was in had a long term guy that he had his stuff everwhere. Atmosphere was bad. Everyone was on their laptops . location is okay. if you really are only after the cheapest place then this is for you. You really do get what you pay for

This place is the perfect example of you pay for what you get. They give you sheets (scratchy ones) but you have to make the bed yourself and bring it all back when you leave. You can only get wifi in the common room, and worst of all the two nights I was there were the most scared I've ever been at a hostel. I've always stayed in mixed dorms but this hostel attracts some seriously questionable people. The only good thing was that they had events going on in the common room.

Thanks for replying back to my email. Those questionable people are no longer here. Glad you enjoyed our events!

I had a nice stay at the arsenal tavern. nice location near a park and plenty of shops and pubs. Staff were excellent and the environment is homely. The only problem was the lack of a kitchen which on a longer stay could have been an issue. But if your staying for a short period or on holiday where you're buying out a lot of your food, I wood certainly recommend.

• 13th Aug 2015

Thank you for the great review. A guest kitchen is something we are looking to add to the hostel in the future. Regards

Good location right next to the train station and a small locker is supplied.

Rooms not in same cleanliness state as shown in pics. Room & Washrooms were in very bad condition. Stinky smell coming from everywhere. We couldn't stay there for more than 10 minutes, we left from there and no refund was made to us. We were really disappointed.

• 8th Aug 2015
  • India

No refund = harsh review. But thanks for taking the time to write one. I'll calm down on the photoshop work! Take care

The staff was nice and the hostel is what you would expect for the price. But the rooms were too old and too small for so many people. And it could also use of some more maintenance work (the celling was falling apart, for example).

• 7th Aug 2015
  • Portugal
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Thank you for the kind commenst about the staff. We are aware that te rooms could do with a freshening up and we have plans to do it soon.

Definitely the best value I've found in London. Cheap beds, cheap drinks, nice staff and good company. They also offer free sangria for an hour downstairs in the common lounge. Definite bonus. Would stay here again.

We went to this hostel because it says it has free parking, but they send you to park your car in a church garden without authorization, so there the church ask you to pay each night. The rooms are small, and the bathroom dirty. It doesn't have kitchen if you want to cook, just microwave and fridge.

• 6th Aug 2015

We actually do have authorisation to use that car park, so I am unclear as to why they tried to charge you. You commenst have been noted about the rooms. Thanks for the reveiw!

The bathrooms are some of the smallest I've seen in my life and they are quite disgusting. Overall it's an average hostel, you get what you pay for. Wifi doesn't work on the third floor.

Sorry about WiFi, we have now fixed that issue. Thanks for the review.

Good value for money

Thanks for the review!

Fantastic hostel. Cool area in Arsenal. Great lobby every and provided an excellent community. The only thing I had a problem with was the rooms. They were very hot and smelly. I slept in the lobby. It was a very good hostel overall.

Thank you for the brilliant review! Very happy to read that you had a good stay here. We will be working on our dorms in the near future.

Great Hostel! Staff really friendly and helpful, location was ideal as only 5mins walk to the tube.. the hostel is adjoined to a pub resulting in a great social atmosphere with the other guests that were staying there. Fast wifi and a free pool table along with discounted booze made for a good stay. Will def be back!

Staff was super friendly. Although the place advertises that it has got lockers/safe place for belongings, I was shocked to realise that there was no safe place. The personal locker was so small that my carry on bag could not fit in.

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Finland

Hi. We do have a safe place for belongings. First we have lockers that are big enough for laptops etc and 4 large luggage storage rooms that can only be accessed by staff for larger items like you carry. We also have a safe that only managemenet can access. Sorry this was not communicated too you.

No kitchen facilities

Correct we do not have any kitchen facilities, just a microwave a dn fridge. However we our in a great location with lots of places to eat for all budgets.

Relaxing and Beautiful Hostel. I will be coming back here next time.

Thank you so much for the excellent review, we look forward to seeing you again.

Facilities: This place is disgusting, very dirty, showers leaking onto the carpet and the floor below. Showers offer next to no privacy. Room: The biggest problem is the windows don't open, and the air conditioning is extremely noisey and doesn't cool the room so it was like trying to sleep in an oven. The bunks are stacked 3 high and are very scary to climb as they are quite rickety. I'm all for backpackers,this is the absolute worst place I have ever stayed. Please try somewhere else.

So sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. We will work hard to improve the hostel.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7