Arsenal Tavern Backpackers Reviews

175 Blackstock Road, London, England

A well located hostel with a good atmosphere. The room was comfortable and had plenty of space for ones backpack. The bed was sufficient bu does need a better mattress. Staff were fantastic. All in all, a solid hostel. My only wish was that there were slightly more in the kitchen facilities department but I got to practice my microwave chef skills so not too much of a bother. :)

• 25th Nov 2015
  • Greece

A solid review from a solid guest! Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again someday

Thank god we have only stayed for one night in this hostel! It was extremely dirty (not just the room but also toilets and a bathroom). Rooms ceiling was covered by a mold in one corner, there were thick layers of dust everywhere, not to mention holes in the walls and window attached to the wall by a duck tape - ridiculous. After we complained about room being dirty to a girl working in a hostel she was rude and told us that we should've known where are we coming to :)

Most things were good at the hostel. It is a bit old but has a good hostel vibe. I had a good stay

• 17th Nov 2015

Place is very dirty and not very well maintained. Extrememly disappointing.

You know how people have a nightmare hostel experience? Well this place was ours. Absolutely disgusting; there was gum stuck to the carpet and walls, the room stunk even though the window was open, and I'm pretty sure there was mold on the ceiling of the bathroom. The room was tiny and 9 people were cramped with triple bunks and no room for luggage (the lockers provided could only hold purses.) there were holes in the walls everywhere.t was cheap, but cheaper hostels have been in better shape.

• 6th Nov 2015

Only 60% for staff?! Jorge won’t like that :) Sorry to read about the experience you had. We don’t pretend to be a boutique high end hostel or want to be either. We’re happy being regular old dive backpackers with a lot of fun and community spirit. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

The staffs are really cool and the place is really nice. I recommend it.

• 4th Nov 2015

This was the ugliest and dirtiest hostel ever seen

I'm not sure either why the hostel was painted as it is but we're going to change that soon. But for now we will try to cancel out the ugliness with pretty & hunky staff (in the hostel part anyway). Did you enjoy the cheap drinks in our bar? Some of the lowest prices in London …

Bad facilities, uncomfortable bed, no windows curtains.....

Hey thanks for giving staff top marks! That curtain pole has now been repaired, sorry about that!

I was willing to overlook the smallness of the toilets since it worked fine even if it was difficult to get into and out of. My real problem was with the showers. I really did not feel that the shower doors provided much privacy, and there was absolutely no private area to get changed in. In addition, only two out of the four showers worked, and one of the broken ones had no door and a bunch of tools/miscellaneous things in it, which just made the bathroom feel dirty.

• 27th Oct 2015

We are now improving our female showers after completing work on the men’s. The privacy will be improved.

good location, staff and breakfast. cleanliess is poor.

Thanks for the review. We will continue to work on our cleaning standards.

What i booked for 18 pounds/night in a female 12 bed room without breakfast through booking.com was not a good price quality ratio. It is zone 2 & even in zone 1 you can get a modern hostel for 14 pounds includ. breakfast. Their are renovations needed for the common room and sleeping rooms (no space for luggage/ no extra facilities like lights next to each bed & towels according to website (except for locker)/ no real mattress).

• 22nd Oct 2015

We agree and we are now starting to make some renovations in the hostel!

Located in a bad neighborhood. Rude and uninterested staff. Could not drink alcohol in the hostel unless you bought it from the expensive bar next door. Room was filthy and beds were not even cleaned after guests had left. 9 people jammed into a tiny dorm, bed mattress was made of thin uncomfortable plastic, bunk beds were made of cheap metal that you could feel through the mattress. DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING HERE, FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Ouch! Not quite sure what has made you so angry but I hope your little vent has helped you to feel better. In our defence we are located in an excellent area of London and staffs are always friendly and willing to help as per other reviews. Enjoy the rest of you travels.

Little grubby and wafer thin mattress. Still it's the only hostel this side of London and wasn't too too far from Alexandra Palace which is where I was wanting to visit

Hope you enjoyed the gig, thanks for the review.

I must say every stay in London is an experience...there is no doubt about it. There are a lot of buildings which have been transformed in hostels, but my Point is, dear organizers, please clean more often, and better. I can understand the smallness of the rooms, the breakfast...but me as an individual...wish you'd be cleaner.

If you're looking for a nice place to call home during your stay in London, this is not it. However, if you are looking for a place with dirty couches, broken showers, stanky bunk rooms, terrible breakfast, uncomfortable beds, and spotty wifi, this place is for you. Enter at your own risk. Arsenal Tavern Backpackers does not take care of its facilities and certainly doesn't create a warm and welcoming environment. There is a very nice coffee shop right across the intersection though.

• 13th Oct 2015

We arrived early and had to wait 2h to see room cause it was being cleaned. When we got to the room was the dirtiest room I ever seen. Dirty floor, bags everywhere there is no space to put our things. locker for free but outside the room and too small. room didn't had space for so many people. shower sometimes have hot water. bathrooms don't seem very clean. With this Conditions you don't want to stay much time in room. Wifi good. No kitchen just microwave and fridge. Good cofe and tea for free

Hi and thanks for the review. We will work harder to keep the hostel clean!

The location is one of the only good things. The beds are the worst I ever experienced and the whole place ain't that clean. The staff leader or owner was quite mean. I had issues with my credit cards and he was not willing to help me at all. On the other hand some of the staff members were quite cool and talkative, some employees are also very nice and try to do their best to make you feel good. sadly, there is barely no friendly atmosphere since everyone just watches TV in the common room.

Hello my friend. Sorry about the credit card issue but as explained your mothers credit card number written on a piece of paper is not a valid form of payment! Glad you had a good time with staff.

People are awesome, staff are nice and helpful except one guy, everything was fine, it's just the building needs to be renovated, looks like it's falling down.

• 22nd Sep 2015
  • Algeria

Thank you for the review!

quite expensive for the area. uncomfortable triple bunk beds.

Thanks for the review. We're very cheap for London and the area!

It was ok downstairs was good

We agree, our common room is great. Just use the dorms for sleeping and you will be happy! Thanks for the review.