Arsenal Tavern Backpackers Reviews

175 Blackstock Road, London, England

Arrival I was made to feel welcome by the staff, was given all the information on the hostel. When I got to the room, I was allocated the top bunk in a triple bunk bed. When I got back to the room later that night, someone else in the room had taken the pillow from my bed and I had to sleep without a pillow. Next day, I mentioned this to the staff, and they ensured I had a pillow on my bed for that night. The showers are rather cramped.

Hello and thank you for the review, sorry about the pillow problem. We do have a 24 hour reception so please don't be afraid to use us for help at anytime. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Extremely nice and helpful staff.

Thank you so much for the kind comments about the team!

Really enjoyed our stay here! Had so much fun, staff was friendly and helpful. The Canadians will never forget the Arsenal Tavern.

And the local bus stop will never forgot you two! Keep an eye on our social media; you are soon to be stars. We hope to see you again someday.

Paid to stay for four nights and only barely managed to stay there one. mould in multiple places, ceiling appeared to be falling in very unhygienic dive it's probably somewhere you wouldn't even take a hooker I honestly believe this place needs condemning

• 14th Sep 2015

Hello and thanks for taking the time to vent! We hope you feel better now. Correct, we are a dive and we are a work in progress and we always get poor reviews from guests who barely stay a night before running off. But we always get good reviews from people who stay a bit longer and get involved with the hostel. Try it at you next place my friend, you might just enjoy yourself! Enjoy the rest of your travels.

I would advise not to have any high expectations of this hostel - you get what you pay for! Staff appear quite inexperienced and disorganised unfortunately. If staying for a longer duration, I would book a couple of nights first in advance to see how you feel about this place - if you decide you don't like it then you can always move on elsewhere. If you're just there to sleep while flat hunting then I don't see many problems with this place. This is no hostel for travellers!

We didnt stay. The place was a dive. There was a big hole in the roof of our room. They had no lockers left to use as advertised and we were in a share room so we had no secruity for belongings. The room had all males and my partner and I.I asked if I could swap to a female room they said yes but you lose your money and have to pay the whole fee again for the female room. Didnt try to help at all werent apologetic there were no lockers or security. Had to pay whole amount no refund on any.

Not very sociable, rooms were ok for the money but the shower room was a building site. Close enough to Finsbury Park station but not much else around the area within walking distance.

Location is good and staff are friendly and helpful. However the place seriously lack shower facilities and existing ones are not fit for purpose. The male shower room on the first floor had no internal locks so anyone can barge in while you are having a wash. There is no bin in the room I stayed so rubbish had to be left in a shopping bag someone before me left behind. I had a triple bunk bed, and the bottom bunk is almost on the floor. Alright for a one-night stay for the price but not longer.

Hi and thanks for the review. Thanks for giving out location top marks. We don’t have bins in the rooms to prevent smells and we instead keep them outside. The main door for the shower block cannot be locked so other guests can get in :) Curtains are provided for privacy. We always encourage guests to come to reception with any minor issues as per your bed allocation. We can quickly change you to another bed or dorm.

Good place to stay for autumn trips to London. Typical London atmosphere in this hostel. It is actually separated into pub for locals and bar and accommodation for sleeping guests.

Hello and thank you for the great review. Nice to read some good comments after the recent blip! Take care and we hope to see you again soon.

Was a great experience, staff was friendly and the atmosphere was very relaxed.

• 25th Aug 2015
  • Portugal

Thank you so much for the great review! It was great having you guys here and we hope to see you again soon!

Wow how pictures can be deceiving, the communal areas are not bad. 1 shower for every male staying there is hideous and I'm quits sure the HSE would have something to say about broken tiles all over the shower room. A interior scheme of peeling paint and black mold run throughout the hostel giving you the impending feeling of death knocking on your your door. Unless they clean this place up, I won't be going back!

• 24th Aug 2015

Hi and thanks for the review. I think we may have prepared for Halloween a bit too early this year as we didn't mean to scar you so much already! I'll get the decorations taken down asap. Those showers you mention are under repair. It’s why they are closed off with an out of order sign up on them!

Rooms were dirty and over crowded (there were 12 beds as it was meant to be, but the rooms were really small). There was only 1 bathroom for the entire hostel, in which only 1 out of 3 showers was in order. The others looked like a construction site. The hostel takes your ID as a deposit for a room key, and 5 pounds deposit for a locker key. When it rained, the ceiling was leaking and some parts of its parts were falling down! I was moved to another room, but still... Terrible hostel!!!

Yikes! Sorry about your experience while here. We did have a few problems with the shower after a sold out and very busy suimmer, but we have resolved them all now. We do notify people about our ID policy before booking :) Thanks for the review.

The staff were friendly and professional, and deserve a massive amount of credit for their performance during the two weeks I was staying there. Unfortunately this - aside from the atmosphere - was the only redeeming aspect of the hostel. The old building was literally falling apart (sealing collapsed in mine and adjacent rooms during stay), it was dirty, mouldy, very under furnished, there was no washing facilities, there was ONE shower for all males (in a BIG hostel), VERY UNCOMFORTABLE STAY.

• 16th Aug 2015

I have been in many hostels but this one is definitely the worst. It is dirty, the room 102 where I stayed includes ultra huge mold on the wall right next to the beds. I slept on the highest bed (triple bed) which did not even have railing. Stuff is confused, you can not pay by card (hello, you accommodate international people!!!!), they take your ID as a deposit for the key, if you travel with someone they will separate you into different rooms. DO NOT GO THERE, THIS HOSTEL IS A LIFE THREAT!!!!

• 15th Aug 2015
  • Slovakia

Hello and thank you for rating our location so highly, we agree we are in a great area of London. I have double checked room 102 and it does not have any mould. All of you other points are notified to guests before booking and arrival. Enjoy the rest of you travels!

I guess you get what you pay for. There was 1 working males shower for the whole hostel. And then when you had a shower, you still felt dirty. Capert in areas had dampness. Room i was in had a long term guy that he had his stuff everwhere. Atmosphere was bad. Everyone was on their laptops . location is okay. if you really are only after the cheapest place then this is for you. You really do get what you pay for

This place is the perfect example of you pay for what you get. They give you sheets (scratchy ones) but you have to make the bed yourself and bring it all back when you leave. You can only get wifi in the common room, and worst of all the two nights I was there were the most scared I've ever been at a hostel. I've always stayed in mixed dorms but this hostel attracts some seriously questionable people. The only good thing was that they had events going on in the common room.

Thanks for replying back to my email. Those questionable people are no longer here. Glad you enjoyed our events!

I had a nice stay at the arsenal tavern. nice location near a park and plenty of shops and pubs. Staff were excellent and the environment is homely. The only problem was the lack of a kitchen which on a longer stay could have been an issue. But if your staying for a short period or on holiday where you're buying out a lot of your food, I wood certainly recommend.

• 13th Aug 2015

Thank you for the great review. A guest kitchen is something we are looking to add to the hostel in the future. Regards

1 2 3 Next » last »