Arsenal Tavern Hostel Reviews

175 Blackstock Road, London, England

The place was very dirty, shower didn't work, breakfast was free but in the last day they charge 2,00 with no reason

Very kind and helpful staff, maintenance work of showers highly appreciated, hostel could be cleaner but bathrooms were all right, furnitures in the bedrooms could be modernised e.g. curtains around each bed, plugs and a little light for everyone would be great. All in all value for money was good, I felt safe and generally enjoyed my stay.

• 28th Mar 2015

Good location, easy to find. The rooms are very airy and have lots of room, comfy beds and solid bunk beds. Not the cleanest but okay. Includes breakfast too :)

The beds were a little basic and not too comfortable and the room was a little stuffy. Other than that, good value for money, friendly staff and good breakfast.

Hello and thanks for the review. Your comments about our beds have been noted and it is something we will improve on. We are glad you had a good stay overall, take care!

Good hostel. Just needs bath mat in the bathrooms so the floors aren't so wet from the showers. Otherwise good facilities and price

It has only one shower for males and it smells like sulfur. They are working on extra showers for the summer season though. The common areas close at 3am i.e. you cannot stay till late talking with friends.

• 13th Mar 2015

Hello and thank you for the review. Apologies for the disruption while you were here, we are currently updating our showers which will be all shiny and brand new soon. We close our common area at 3am so the night team can clean the hostel; I hope it didn’t spoil your night. Take care.

I didn't feel safe there at all. There were no individual lamps by the beds which was inconvenient. I did appreciate having so many outlets in the room though. The bathroom was filthy but it was nice to have a bathroom in the dorm. A member of the staff gave us wrong information on the tube even after looking it up, but the staff was very very nice. Free lockers and breakfast which was nice.

Hello and thank you for the review. I am very sorry to read that you felt unsafe here. I can assure you the hostel is very safe and in a safe area of London, staffed 24/7, free lockers, CCTV throughout and access to the hostel controlled at all times. We are working hard on the cleaning standards of the hostel and will work even harder. Enjoy the rest of your travels.

A few communal toilets and two working communal showers. Also had a toilet and shower in our mixed dorm but the warm water was nonexistent. Beds were fine with our first being horrible due to a snorer who reaked and wouldn't wake up to his alarm. Otherwise fine other than a stolen phone charger.

• 12th Mar 2015

Hi and thanks for the review. We have your charger! It got handed in but we had no idea who it belonged too. Our showers are being upgraded and will be ready very soon, sorry for the disruption.Enjoy the rest of your trip.

The manager and staff are very friendly,helpful,welcoming and very laid back.stayed there for few weeks.its close to the tube and it takes 10 mins to get into the city centre via the victoria line.renovations are under way to improve the shower facilities.its cheap too considering the proximity to the city centre!definately worth a stay

• 25th Feb 2015

Hey thank you so much for the great review, we are glad you had a great time here! Take care.

By what I see, you do not think answer or return the money they have taken me to my bank (I made a claim five days ago and no one answers) I am writing to place a complaint, request the return of my advances paid and seek compensation for any inconvenience caused. The hostel where I am (Arsenal Tavern Hostel, London, England) Now change administrator and have changed the policy. We have taken the hostel and have not respected any of the reservations that had you agreed with you. These are my res

• 15th Feb 2015
  • Spain

The hostel is very nice if your in budget going to London! I would recomend this hostel to everyone if you want to spend £140 for 5 days! All the shop near in the hostel is really cheap! Arsenal Tube and Finsbury Park is very access to all tourist attraction in London in 15mins you can be in the place you want to! So, I highly recomend this hostel if you want a really cheap place to stay!

Hey thanks for the great review. We are happy you had a good time and we agree our location is amazing! Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Facilities such as showers and toilets exist, but are rather small and the shower has a rather peculiar mechanism to start(one needs to ask somebody if one does not wish to remain dirty the entire stay). the rooms are also overly crowded; i stayed in the 9 person room which meant that there were 3 sets of 3 overlapping beds in a 12mp enclosed space- in the morning the air was very heavy. on the other hand, the hostel was cheap and the beds quite comfy and there was a breakfast included.

• 10th Feb 2015
  • Romania

Hello and thank you for the review. We have noted your comments about the dorm you stayed in and we will reduce the number of beds in it very soon.

They need new showers ,new bed they need almost evrithing new

Hello and thank you for the review. We are currently updating our showers so please stay again, you'll be presently surprised

Although I enjoyed my time at this hostel I'm presently very annoyed at a bad business decision just implemented by the management. They have forced me to leave the hostel on the basis of a maximum stay term per year for any individual of 14 days. I've been paying on time every Monday, never cause the staff grief, and have been earning them steady profit and they've now lost a loyal and good customer for no reason whatsoever.

Hello and thanks for the review. I appreciate your frustration, but we are a youth hostel for backpackers. I hope you find something more suitable for yourself. Take care.

The rooms are not well maintained and the toilets are in quite a bad condition. And I paid a little extra just so that I could be in an all girl dormitory however there was a guy who was staying in there as well which defeats the purpose of me paying extra in the first place.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Malaysia

Hello and thank you for the review. We are very sorry about the experience you had and I would like to apologise again as per our telephone conversation today. As advised the hostel is now under new management and we are working very hard to improve the place. Take care and we hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

It was cold and the kitchen was just a toaster, microway and a broken waterboiler. but the staff was cuit nice and the beds felt clean and thats what matters for me.

Hi and thanks for the review. The hostel is now under new management and we are currently working hard to improve. Thanks for the comments about the team, it’s really appreciated! Take care.

Very environmentally friendly hostel- you will save water by not having a shower because they're awful, but you can clean yourself in the toilet after. Great 1950's styled beds and awesome mattresses that are good for your posture as they are like sleeping on the floor. The old plastic coated mattresses and squeaky beds are a nice touch- they double as a free wakeup call when someone gets into bed. Free jungle gym in every 12 person dorm- no storage so you have to climb over bags to go to bed ;)

Wow, not a happy camper! We have noted all of your criticisms and we are hard at work here to improve the hostel. We admit the place has been let get run down, but the hostel is now under new management and will get better. Come check us out again in the future. I have sent you an email with details of a free stay with us!

I could tell the worst hostel ever. I spent 10 days in 15 bed dorm without working ventilation. Stinky, untidy. Totally stay from this one away. One thing which was good was price. 7-10 pounds per night.

Thank you for the review. Very, very sorry to read about your experience here. The hostel is now under new management and we are all working hard to improve the place. I'm sure you will agree the hostel is like an old vintage car that just needs some work done on it. Come stay with us for free some day in the future to see the improvements. I have sent you an email with a 100% discount. Enjoy your travels!

It was cheap and close to where I wanted to go, but I wouldn't stay there for more than 2 nights. Rooms are small, packed with beds (15 beds on 15 square meters) and windows are blocked, so you can't really breathe inside. Not to mention that the floor is covered with luggage. Everything seemed to be functioning though and staff was helpful, but the overall state of things was low (been in better hostels in Ukraine, if you know what I mean).

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Slovenia

Hey thanks for the review. Windows shouldn't be blocked so I will look into that. We are also reducing the number of beds in a room. Come back again, I'm sure you'll find us a lot better than Ukraine hostels!

It was okay.