Arthouse Hostel Reviews

20 Lindsay Street, Launceston, Australia

Cute and cozy. I just did a one night stop over in Launceston and this was a nice place to stay. Clear instructions for a late check in, and charming property. I would stay again.

Thanks so much for great ratings and comments. If anyone is arriving after 7.00pm, please let us know and the late-night arrival process is very simple.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in during my whole time in Australia. Would definitely recommend.

Wow, that can I say. Thanks so much for that awesome review.

Balcony door didn't lock so anyone could come across from the main landing through into your room, so not very safe. Building in general was old and a bit rundown. Staff friendly and a good range of kitchen utensils. Not a great location - quite a fair walk into town.

Thanks for taking the time to rate and review. I will be fixing the balcony door to room 14 today. We locked it but the guests wanted it to be able to open, so I now have the bits to do that! :-)

I only had 2 brief nights here, as we used Launceston as a base before and after visiting cradle mountain. It was comfortable and clean.

Thanks for the great rating and lovely comments. We hope to see you again if you need another base in Launceston.

Nice quiet place. I was left waiting for reception to acknowledge me on my arrival though. I understand they were busy buy a simple hello while your guests are waiting in line prevents getting a bad first impression. The kitchen is a bit small for the size of the place, lack of bathrooms and a bit run down, but these are all part of staying in a very old house with character. Overall I had a peaceful stay here.

Hi, you may not have seen all the bathrooms. We have 10 showers and 12 toilets here which is more per guest than any hostel I have stayed in before. Sorry about the greeting as it is certainly not normal. We have a fantastic reputation at the reception counter, so your comments will be raised with all the staff.

Great clean hostel with quite central location! Some of the people staying were a little unsocial but not the hostels fault obviously. Room and kitchen very clean and well equipped. Definitely would go back!

Thanks for taking the time to comment and for the great rating. We encourage socializing, and normally there is a great vibe here. Sorry that you met some unsociable people. And thanks for the compliments.

Arthouse was relaxed and pretty quiet (it was shortly after Christmas, so I imagine everyone was tired). I didn't stay long but it was easy to find and in a good location.

Thanks very much for the great rating and comments. Yes, after Christmas we have a bit of a lull while staff and guests get over Christmas. We do try to be a quiet hostel anyway, so that people can get some sleep and enjoy Tassie. Thanks for staying with us.

The house is old and therefore you can expect the noise made by the old door is pretty loud when people go to toilet in the middle of the night. The door of the balcony cannot be locked, which means that even if you have locked the room door, people can still go into your room from the next room because they share the same balcony. The location is good and staff is friendly.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. We will check the foam on the doors and replace so that they are more quiet. And the balcony door in the room should certainly be able to be locked so I will look at that this weekend. Thanks for letting us know.

this is an old house, which means it is very charming - even with a balcony and yard and a chimney in the room - but it has walls as thin as paper. so nothing for people with a light sleep. kitchen and bathrooms seemed quite untended. the person at the reception seemed very overstrained.

The walls are 2 layers of lathe and plaster so much thicker than standard walls. However, around your stay we had a couple of nights where we had to come round several times and quieten guests until 1.30am. We are sorry for that night if it was yours and there was not much more we could have done. The kitchen and bathrooms are cleaned 3 times per day. Im not sure what you mean by "overstrained" but the staff here have a great reputation and are well trained

Good hostel! The rooms were nice and airy, god facilities and a really cool balcony! Just a short walk from the centre of Launceston. Only a small negative, there were very few plugs available in the room and hostel in general. Overall is definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the great ratings and comments. Yes, the balcony is great, and the view from the belltower is beautiful. We will put another multi power board into the room you stayed in (they go 'missing' regularly, and sorry for that!)

Was a beautiful place to stay...and the host made our stay very easy and enjoyable...would recommend the arthouse to anyone visiting launceston

• 21st Nov 2015

Thanks you so much for the awesome ratings and lovely comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here.

Filthiest hostel kitchen I've seen in a long time, dining room not much better. Not necessarily the hostels fault, bad group of guests perhaps.

Yes, bad group of guests! We clean the kitchen 3 times per day during the busy season. We have a group of workers check-in last week that we are about to kick out because they leave their dishes/dining. Sorry you were affected by it, but we are doing something about it.

showers doesn't work on 2. floor only the showers in the third floor are useable Blanket too light Double bed was strongly shaking

All the showers in the hostel work! We don't even have a 3rd floor. And if you thought the blanket was too light, we would have been happy to give you a 2nd blanket at no charge. And you were not in a Double bed, so I do not know what that means.

Please clean the bathrooms and especially the toilets properly. And some lockers in the dorms would be good.

The bathrooms and especially the toilets are cleaned properly twice daily during the busy period which starts in November. Unfortunately there is still the possibility that the bathrooms become messy in the hours between cleaning. We are sorry you seem to have experienced this, but hope you enjoyed the rest that the hostel has to offer - FREE WiFi, comfortable bed, spacious dorms, etc.

There was no toilet roll in the toilets, I had to go upstairs to another floor and get toilet paper before going to the toilet. Showers were pretty dirty. Kitchen was just FILTHY disgusting.

Sometimes the toilet rolls go "camping". If you had let us know we would have replaced them and checked all the other bathrooms as well. The kitchen and bathrooms get cleaned 3 times per day in summer. The biggest kitchen problem is dishes that have been washed, but not put away - that's messy, but neither filthy or disgusting.

Staff were really friendly and nice to talk to. The building itself is very nice and has a good feel to it. Only complaints are that the kitchen is pretty small for how many people are at the hostel and there is only one washing machine and dryer. You can dry your clothes outside though

The staff is nice and helpful. The hostel is a bit run down and could use an update. Facilities and dorms should be cleaned more thoroughly. I met really nice people during my stay, so the hostel is a good place to socialize.

Thanks for taking the time to rate us and comment. Thanks for the compliments and we are glad you had a nice time here. And yes, for about a week there we struggled because we got busy quickly and sooner than normal. We have now increased our housekeeping staff to summer levels and are back on track.

We just had one night at the Arthouse hotel but it was a really comfortable one. We booked a private double and it was really spacious and good value for money. My boyfriend was ill and we needed some extra pillows and the staff sorted us out straight away. I'm not sure what his name was but the guy on the front desk was really helpful. The house is a really cool old building and a big Coles is 15 min walk or 5 min drive.

Thanks so much for the great ratings and compliments. It was me, Pete, that was "really helpful" and it was my pleasure. I hope you enjoyed Tassie despite the illness.

Very, very good. You should stay in this gothic hostel!

• 23rd Oct 2015

Comfy, spacious and tidy! Pete, at reception, was friendly and helpful. Priced a few bucks cheaper than the other hostels, but offer the same (or better) standards - great value for money :)

Thanks for the great ratings and compliments. It really helps. It was our pleasure having you stay, and hope to see you again.