Arthouse Hostel Reviews

20 Lindsay Street, Launceston, Australia

Such a wonderful stay at the Arthouse Hostel! The guy who runs is (sorry - don't know your name!) was so helpful and made time to give lots of advice, he makes everyone popcorn when it's time for a movie too! I felt welcome and comfortable. So enjoyable and really easy to get to the park, Gorge or centre of Launceston from there! Friendly atmosphere and I love the bell tower! Thank you. I would definitely recommend this hostel and if I ever come back to Tasmania, I'll stay here again.

There is mold in the showers and large, visible, accumulations of dust below the beds. The walls are paper thin so you will hear everything from the hallway in your room and visa versa. It is an old building, but with some TLC it could be a heck of a lot nicer.

I have spoken to housekeeping about the dust. She had already sorted it but thanks for the tip. The showers do not have mold, they have stains and are a couple of weeks away from being re-painted/re-siliconed (read previous comment). The walls are 2 layers of lathe and plaster over a timber frame - classic 1888 construction. The doors are solid timber, not hollow core. Thanks for taking the time to comment - it was a pleasure having you stay here.

Super helpful staff, friendly people, excellent toilet and shower facilities! Will definitely stay again

• 15th Mar 2015

Thanks very much and I hope you enjoyed the Overland Track. I didn't get to speak to you much afterwards!

Very nice staff! Bathrooms were dirty though.

Staff are lovely and accomodating, was a lovely hostel to chill on the sofa with a book. Nice comfy beds and good location! Thanks :)

Thank you for the specific comment about the staff. We very much appreciate that. Thanks for giving us a great rating and are happy you enjoyed your stay.

Loved staying at the Art House! The staff were friendly & helpful. Large dinning area & two lounge areas with sofa's so great to meet people. Kitchen & bathroom were good. Ended up coming back again after my first stay!

Coming back to the Arthouse is the biggest compliment you can give us! Thanks so much for the review and high rating.

Very helpful,friendly staff. We are 60+ and have not stayed in a hostel/backpacker accomodation before.Usually we camp/caravan or use motels. The bed needed attention (very squeaky),linen was just ok. I would be happy toreccomend to young people,and " tougher oldies"!!!!

• 26th Feb 2015

Hi Janet - you certainly don't look and/or act 60+ so well done. Thanks for taking the time to rate and comment. We will look into the beds, they probably just need a tighten which I will do today.

I am writing this review on behalf of my dad. We had a great stay at the Arthouse. In fact, it is my second time stay at the Arthouse, I brought my dad to Launceston in this 2nd visit to this amazing city. The Arthouse warm hospitality made our stay superb!

Well, what can I say? Many thanks! Your high rating and great compliments really made our day!

The rooms were quite nice and comfy beds. The wifi is excruciatingly slow. It's free, but personally I'd rather have to pay and have something I can actually use. Staff is great, super friendly and helpful.

Thank you for the compliments! The ADSL in this area is simply poor. Nothing can be done about that until the NBN is connected (it's 18 months late so far). The WiFi delivered to guests is the same as reception uses - you can't pay for any better anywhere here. We do the best we can.

I have not done any other hostelling in Australia so have nothing to compare it with but I thought 27.50 was quite expensive for one night. The room was hot and stuffy and the bunk beds squeaked and rocked alarmingly when the girl in the top bunk moved. I did not have a wink of sleep all night. The showers and kitchen were adequate but the gas stoves pretty old and inefficient. Beating in mind that I'm 65 it struck me as being very much a young persons place as I'm sure most hostels are.

• 18th Feb 2015

I wish you had stayed in a few other places before the Arthouse so that you would have appreciated us instead of comparing us to your own home or a hotel.

The staff was great and helpful, but our stay in Arthouse was little bit unpleasant. The room was damp and a bit smelly because (sorry) people with work and holiday visa whom we shared the room with was hang their laundry in the room. :(

• 17th Feb 2015
  • Indonesia

I wish you had told us there was laundry in the room. People should definitely NOT be drying the laundry in the room when we have a FREE clothesline in the courtyard! Sorry for that and I will tell housekeeping to keep an eye on that kind of disrespectful room use.

Best Hostel, I have been to! Very friendly staff, such a pretty, old-fashioned building, kitchen wasn't the best but sufficient. There is a lot of room in order to just hang out and meet new people ( a garden, a large dining room and several couches and a tv in front of the reception which makes it easier to meet new people. The bed (at least mine) was suprisingly comfortable, the 5bedfemaledorm very large. If I ever go to Launceston again, I know where to stay.

• 16th Feb 2015

Wow. That's a very comprehensive and complimentary review. Thank you for taking the time to review us and rate us so highly.

The city is small. This hostel is easy to reach, right across the small bridge. The house has character. No included breakfast.... but it's not far from a supermarket.

Thanks for the great rating and review, and thanks for letting people know that we don't do breakfast. We do have a kitchen, fridges etc and yes the supermarket is not far away. We also have free tea & coffee (not milk though).

Really tidy and spacious hostel.

Short and sweet. Thanks very much for the very high rating and taking the time to comment.

This hostel provides the basics. Lamps above the bunks would be good to avoid people turning on the light a 1am. Lockers in the room would be brandy too. My room was next to the common room and it was very noisy until 3am. Both nights I didn't get much sleep.

Hiya, unfortunately it sounds like you did not get a great experience at the Arthouse and we apologise. Lamps above the beds is a good suggestion thank you. We do have free storage at reception for anyone who wants to use it. And sorry for the noise, for anyone else who might be disturbed, we have a 24 hour staff member that can be contacted by a number at reception. We do ask that the hostel is quiet from 10pm, and that is normally well respected.

It was nice stay except kitchen. Some of backpackers didn't clean their own stuff in the kitchen.

Thanks for the very high rating in spite of the messy kitchen. Unfortunately sometimes we have trouble getting people to wash, dry and put away the dishes they use. It doesn't happen too often, but it happens. :-(

Favourite hostel in Oz so far. Incredible and knowledgeable staff, great traveller atmosphere, central location, quirky building, clean, spacious rooms, free wifi, everything a traveller needs. Only gripe was the WiFi seemed throttled after 10/11pm. No biggie. Highly recommended.

Wow, thanks so much. That is an amazing series of compliments. The great news is that your "only gripe" will be fixed on the 26th Feb when our NBN broadband is installed! Unlimited downloads and the fastest speed available in Australia - everyone can download movies, TV, Skype and upload photos with no restriction (can you tell we are excited??)

Best bathrooms I've ever seen in a hostel. The building is beautiful.

Thank you so much for the high rating and compliments!

Absolutely loved the really friendly and caring staff! Great backpacker vibe to the place!

• 29th Jan 2015

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review us. Your comments really help. We are happy that we were able to help your holiday in Tassie and hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Very friendly front desk staff, happy to help with extra information, hiking advice, and acts of kindness!

• 28th Jan 2015

Thanks so much, we do appreciate recognition for our efforts. Luckily it is quite enjoyable helping out the wonderful people that stay here!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4