Arthouse Hostel Reviews

20 Lindsay Street, Launceston, Australia

Nice place, feels more like a hotel than a hostel but is very homely. Comfy sofas in the common area. Clean but the windowsills in the dorm need a clean as there was quite the collection of cobwebs and dead insects there! Good wifi, cheery staff that care about the guests, handy location. Lockers would be appreciated.

The fellow on reception was helpful and cheerful. This was a handy place to stay for a night. Both nights we stayed the person who shared our room was good.

Loved the rooms, and great kitchen setup. However, did not find the shower super clean .... All in all good value for $$. Great location as well.

The facilities were great and the staff was very nice. We were supposed to be going into an 8 share bedroom but we were upgraded to a 5 bedroom and it was perfect! We got there after checkin hours and they had an envelope with out keys and further instructions to feel welcome.

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Peru

Really nice place. The room was a little messed up, with a lot of things on the floor. But not hostel fault. Beautiful building. Recommend Arthouse for your stay.

• 5th Apr 2015

close to coles, Kmart. no public transit near by. it takes 10-15mins to transit centre (cornwall square) by feet. unique place to stay. decoration different from the other hostel. (good different)

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Taiwan

the kitchen needs more garbage cans or have the ones that you do have emptied more often. The handles on the kitchen sink kept falling off and need to be replaced or secured.

I must admit that I am a bit surprised that you didn't mention those when you were here for the first 3 days and didn't mention them when you extended your booking for 2 more days, and didn't mention them when you came back today to say "hi". Thanks for staying with us but next time please try to be constructively critical.

Such a wonderful stay at the Arthouse Hostel! The guy who runs is (sorry - don't know your name!) was so helpful and made time to give lots of advice, he makes everyone popcorn when it's time for a movie too! I felt welcome and comfortable. So enjoyable and really easy to get to the park, Gorge or centre of Launceston from there! Friendly atmosphere and I love the bell tower! Thank you. I would definitely recommend this hostel and if I ever come back to Tasmania, I'll stay here again.

There is mold in the showers and large, visible, accumulations of dust below the beds. The walls are paper thin so you will hear everything from the hallway in your room and visa versa. It is an old building, but with some TLC it could be a heck of a lot nicer.

I have spoken to housekeeping about the dust. She had already sorted it but thanks for the tip. The showers do not have mold, they have stains and are a couple of weeks away from being re-painted/re-siliconed (read previous comment). The walls are 2 layers of lathe and plaster over a timber frame - classic 1888 construction. The doors are solid timber, not hollow core. Thanks for taking the time to comment - it was a pleasure having you stay here.

Super helpful staff, friendly people, excellent toilet and shower facilities! Will definitely stay again

• 15th Mar 2015

Thanks very much and I hope you enjoyed the Overland Track. I didn't get to speak to you much afterwards!

Very nice staff! Bathrooms were dirty though.

Staff are lovely and accomodating, was a lovely hostel to chill on the sofa with a book. Nice comfy beds and good location! Thanks :)

Thank you for the specific comment about the staff. We very much appreciate that. Thanks for giving us a great rating and are happy you enjoyed your stay.

Loved staying at the Art House! The staff were friendly & helpful. Large dinning area & two lounge areas with sofa's so great to meet people. Kitchen & bathroom were good. Ended up coming back again after my first stay!

Coming back to the Arthouse is the biggest compliment you can give us! Thanks so much for the review and high rating.

Very helpful,friendly staff. We are 60+ and have not stayed in a hostel/backpacker accomodation before.Usually we camp/caravan or use motels. The bed needed attention (very squeaky),linen was just ok. I would be happy toreccomend to young people,and " tougher oldies"!!!!

• 26th Feb 2015

Hi Janet - you certainly don't look and/or act 60+ so well done. Thanks for taking the time to rate and comment. We will look into the beds, they probably just need a tighten which I will do today.

I am writing this review on behalf of my dad. We had a great stay at the Arthouse. In fact, it is my second time stay at the Arthouse, I brought my dad to Launceston in this 2nd visit to this amazing city. The Arthouse warm hospitality made our stay superb!

Well, what can I say? Many thanks! Your high rating and great compliments really made our day!

The rooms were quite nice and comfy beds. The wifi is excruciatingly slow. It's free, but personally I'd rather have to pay and have something I can actually use. Staff is great, super friendly and helpful.

Thank you for the compliments! The ADSL in this area is simply poor. Nothing can be done about that until the NBN is connected (it's 18 months late so far). The WiFi delivered to guests is the same as reception uses - you can't pay for any better anywhere here. We do the best we can.

I have not done any other hostelling in Australia so have nothing to compare it with but I thought 27.50 was quite expensive for one night. The room was hot and stuffy and the bunk beds squeaked and rocked alarmingly when the girl in the top bunk moved. I did not have a wink of sleep all night. The showers and kitchen were adequate but the gas stoves pretty old and inefficient. Beating in mind that I'm 65 it struck me as being very much a young persons place as I'm sure most hostels are.

• 18th Feb 2015

I wish you had stayed in a few other places before the Arthouse so that you would have appreciated us instead of comparing us to your own home or a hotel.

The staff was great and helpful, but our stay in Arthouse was little bit unpleasant. The room was damp and a bit smelly because (sorry) people with work and holiday visa whom we shared the room with was hang their laundry in the room. :(

• 17th Feb 2015
  • Indonesia

I wish you had told us there was laundry in the room. People should definitely NOT be drying the laundry in the room when we have a FREE clothesline in the courtyard! Sorry for that and I will tell housekeeping to keep an eye on that kind of disrespectful room use.

Best Hostel, I have been to! Very friendly staff, such a pretty, old-fashioned building, kitchen wasn't the best but sufficient. There is a lot of room in order to just hang out and meet new people ( a garden, a large dining room and several couches and a tv in front of the reception which makes it easier to meet new people. The bed (at least mine) was suprisingly comfortable, the 5bedfemaledorm very large. If I ever go to Launceston again, I know where to stay.

Wow. That's a very comprehensive and complimentary review. Thank you for taking the time to review us and rate us so highly.

The city is small. This hostel is easy to reach, right across the small bridge. The house has character. No included breakfast.... but it's not far from a supermarket.

Thanks for the great rating and review, and thanks for letting people know that we don't do breakfast. We do have a kitchen, fridges etc and yes the supermarket is not far away. We also have free tea & coffee (not milk though).

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4