Arts Factory Lodge Reviews

Skinners Shoot Rd, Byron Bay, Australia

No lockers in 4 man dorm, bathrooms felt unclean, didn't want to put my contacts in. The room was very small and got very warm at night. But the atmosphere was good and probably all worth it for the experience of staying there.

FUN hostel with lots of character! Other backpackers don't seem to respect common areas too much so I can see why the reception staff has an "so over it" attitude. Upon arrival I checked into my room to find 2 used "unmentionables" near the powerpoints and hairs on my sheets... GROSS!! I asked the guy at reception who took care of it with a half-hearted effort.. left the "unmentionble" wrapper on the floor! Cleanliness wasn't the best but worth staying to experience the Arts Factory's community.

• 9th Apr 2015

Really nice hostel. Great atmosphere and a lot of Nice activities. A perfect hostel if you want to have a good time! The rooms itself were not that great, but not bad either.

you should get a modern water heater

Really good vibe at the hostel, would be great if the rooms had lockers as well

I had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere there. The beds could have been more comfortable and air conditioner would have helped. Everyone was really helpful aside from one staff with short dark hair who went out of his way to be rude when I asked for a wifi voucher to fill out. Still I recommend it due to the staff and atmosphere.

• 3rd Apr 2015

The kitchen is not clean at all, the staff is rude and not comprehensive, we have to give our passport if we want to use a pan ... The worst backpacker I've ever been.

This hostel is a great place to stay if you want natural surrounds. With teepees and permanent tents by the pond with bushland settings. And activities such bushland tucker walks and plant bracelet making. But just watch your step with the water dragon/lizards and bush turkeys, who roam throughout the grounds. Also they had the best talent show I ever experienced with musicians, singers, beat-boxers, fire-twirlers and didgeridoo players. And the Byron Bay Brewery is just across the car park.

Great atmosphere at the hostel. Stayed in the Lakeside Cabin which was great - had its own bathroom and mini kitchen. A lot to do at the hostel with different activities every day. Town is very chilled and about a 10 minute walk from hostel but there is a shuttle every day. There's live music everywhere! We had a few problems with the room in which we had to remind reception a few times until something happened. Make sure you bring bug spray, most of us were eaten alive!

I love this place, stayed here 4 years ago and it still has that great atmosphere and vibe. The only problem my friend and I ran into was when booking a skydive the lady at the desk mucked us around no end. She happily booked it and then informed us about a 10% admin fee if cancelled, under a minute later we had a text to say it was cancelled due to bad weather! She shouldnt have booked it up and taken our money in the first place. We are still waiting for a refund 4 days later.

In the room were spider nets everywhere. They started construction outside of our dorm at 6 am which made it impossible to sleep any longer. Construction workers walked in our dorm to use electricity for their tools. When confronting the staff they didnt really care about our complaint.

• 18th Mar 2015

We had a fantastic stay, there was loads to do with great activities, just a fifteen minute walk to town :) only issue on security is the door to our room was left open and my friends kindle was stolen so that was a major negative. But the place was incredible, such great people and the food in the cafe was great price and so good!!

Very different experience to many other hostels! Pretty intense party hostel, kitchen and pool aren't clean at all really and if you can, pay the extra $2 per night to stay in one of the lakeside retreat 4 bed dorms instead of the 10 bed dorms, much much nicer experience than the dirty dorms!! Quite a walk from the Main Street but regular shuttle bus which is good and has a cafe on site with great food!

Good place with a good vibe and fits in with Byron bay well however very over priced!

Enjoyed my stay here but there are nicer hostels that are also closer to the beach.

Its a nice place, nice atmosphere super nice staff. The only bad things is that you got to pay for everything like internet, coffee, etc, which is not that cheap. And is not that close to the beach, takes like 20 min walk.They offer shuttle to the city which takes more 10 min to the beach.

• 20th Feb 2015

Stayed here for a week as a signal traveller and i would defiantly go back. The atmosphere at the arts factory is just the best and everyone makes you feel welcome and chilled ! I really enjoyed the talent show as it was a great laugh as everyone got up and dancing. Would recommend this place to anyone who doesn't take life to seriously and want to have a great laugh.

• 15th Feb 2015

Kitchen was a constant germ riddled lair. Took 10mins to find a dirty bowl/plate then I had to clean myself. Plastic cutlery meant I had to eat my steal like a barbarian as I couldn't cut it. Wifi is $4 a day. Girl underneath kept farting, and due to the lack of air circulation in the dorm left a robust pungent fragrance implanted in my nostrils. A seed crapping free spirit also selectively stole over $20 of food out of my bag in the overly filled fridges. Doubt staff would have done anything

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. We do try to keep on top of the kitchens, they get cleaned thoroughly twice per day and then we check them every hour from 8 am to 1 pm. Unfortunately the minute we walk away they are left in a mess again. We can only provide plastic cutlery because every time we put out stainless steel it is stolen or thrown away - this is no joke, we can put out 30 sets of knives, forks and spoons and they are gone the next day. Same with bowls and plates.

really nice garden and pool area. But the kitchen was really dirty because nobody had the willingness to clean his or her own stuff

Thanks for review, glad you enjoyed our tropical surrounds. The kitchen is a real problem, we do a big clean twice per day and kitchen checks throughout the morning, but we still cannot keep on top of it. It would be great if the guests were more willing to clean up! We hope it wasn't too inconvenient. Happy travels.

Great Laid back environment and overall a great stay. It is a bit of a walk from town, but well worth a stay!

• 20th Jan 2015

Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed your stay!