Arts Factory Lodge Reviews

Skinners Shoot Rd, Byron Bay, Australia

Kitchen was a constant germ riddled lair. Took 10mins to find a dirty bowl/plate then I had to clean myself. Plastic cutlery meant I had to eat my steal like a barbarian as I couldn't cut it. Wifi is $4 a day. Girl underneath kept farting, and due to the lack of air circulation in the dorm left a robust pungent fragrance implanted in my nostrils. A seed crapping free spirit also selectively stole over $20 of food out of my bag in the overly filled fridges. Doubt staff would have done anything

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. We do try to keep on top of the kitchens, they get cleaned thoroughly twice per day and then we check them every hour from 8 am to 1 pm. Unfortunately the minute we walk away they are left in a mess again. We can only provide plastic cutlery because every time we put out stainless steel it is stolen or thrown away - this is no joke, we can put out 30 sets of knives, forks and spoons and they are gone the next day. Same with bowls and plates.

really nice garden and pool area. But the kitchen was really dirty because nobody had the willingness to clean his or her own stuff

Thanks for review, glad you enjoyed our tropical surrounds. The kitchen is a real problem, we do a big clean twice per day and kitchen checks throughout the morning, but we still cannot keep on top of it. It would be great if the guests were more willing to clean up! We hope it wasn't too inconvenient. Happy travels.

Great Laid back environment and overall a great stay. It is a bit of a walk from town, but well worth a stay!

• 20th Jan 2015

Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed your stay!

It was vert Nice. It was being in the jungle not so far from town. I highly recommend it.

• 12th Jan 2015

Thanks for your review, glad you enjoyed your stay!

Over priced. We understand that hostels are in high demand over Christmas and new year but we expected a much higher standard for the money spent. We paid less for Christmas Day in Brisbane and it was a much nicer hostel both in facilities, cleanliness and atmosphere. Also our room smelt of urine when we arrived.

Sorry for your disappointment. It is unusual that the room would smell of urine, we will check. It is always a good idea to let us know of any problems when you are in house, and we have the opportunity to change your room. We would be happy to consider an upgrade should you stay with us again

Great hostel, best on the coast, nice vibes.

Thanks for your feedback Vicky - so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Staff very friendly. Very big hostel, good if you want to party, not great if you are trying to sleep. Brewery next door which is very loud and kept us up. Shuttlebus into town needs to run more often into town as it is a long walk into town. Kitchen far too small for amount of people at hostel. Not enough bath rooms for the amount of people either. Good smoothies at cafe.

Thank you for your review. We are going to refurbish the kitchen, as it is very big, but the space is not utilized well. Thanks for the feedback on the bus times, we will consider increasing the bus runs.

Great atmosphere and location! I very much enjoyed my stay here as it is very easy to meet people and there is always something happening. The shuttle to town (runs also during the night) is very convenient yet you can easily walk to the city center. Kitchen and equipment could be massively improved on though and rooms renovated.

Thanks for your review Anna, We will be refurbishing the kitchen in 2015, and hopefully the main dorm rooms as well.

Great hostel if you're looking for a cool vibe and something unique. A little outside Byron but the bit of seclusion is nice and it's only a 10 minute walk. They seem to have everything here! Would definitely recommend as this was the most unique/cool hostel i've ever stayed.

I disliked that the rooms had no lockers and the only ones available charged $3 for 12 hours. Also, wifi was not included, which should be a standard at hostels by now, at least in the communal areas.

Thanks for review Nicole, we will consider getting better lockers for the rooms and more free storage space in the common areas.

If you're a 25+ female (more likely you're on the same wavelenght with the cottage) and want to experience a true retreat ask to stay in the lakeside cottage beforehand. It was amazing. I'd go back to Byron just for that.

Thanks for your review Tuuli. The Lakeside cottage is a great female only option. Hope to see you again some time.

Everything was great! I rated the staff "average" because i called a few days prior about check in time and was told to come any time... we were there at 12pm and the lady at the counter was very straight in telling me check in wasn't actually until 2pm.

• 25th Oct 2014

Sorry Tim, yes check in is 2pm, but guests arriving early can use the facilities at any time.

signing is was very hectic and a tab bit unorganized but overall a great experience. cool vibes. recommended it to my friends who were visiting byron bay.

• 24th Oct 2014

Thanks Carra!

great atmosphere, staff incredibly helpful. short walk or shuttle bus from city centre

Thanks for the review Matthew

Good facilities. The staff here were fantastic and friendly and the atmosphere was great. The bus to town fills up quickly but the walk isn't too bad. Awesome pool and the cafe food is amazing. Also enjoyed the brewery next door for drinks.

Amazing place amazing hostel with amazing people. Truely love this hostel. I'm coming back ASAP!!!

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Wales

Thanks Rhys, hope to see you back in 2015!