Arusha Hostel Lodge and Adventures (AHLA) Reviews

Ngulelo, Arusha, Tanzania

We finally didn't stay at Arusha Hostel Lodge because one day before they told me they had no room for us. We did the reservation and payed 4€ for it, and had no room.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Spain

I was mainly disappointed that I was the ONLY person booked into the hostel (didn't get to meet any fellow travelers). I was also dismayed with the one staff member. All the bedrooms were available (except for mine) and he chose to sleep in the common area... which would have been fine in he were up when I wanted to be up and not 3 hours later. It just felt very awkward.

• 17th Oct 2013

We left 20 minutes after we arrived. There were no other guests around, we had to walk uphill from the road 15 minutes through locals yards and sewage to get there. The amenities would have been similar to staying in a locals hastily built home. The sheets and pillows were very dirty and stained, shower towels were still wet. To top off the random creepiness there was no sign or reception at the place to denote that it was AHLA and the windows in our room were broken out with no mosquito nets!

• 15th Aug 2013

Valle and Justin are super stellar hosts and individuals.

• 28th Jul 2013

A bit surprised that we had to climb a "mountain" to get to the hostel. The view was amazing but that was about the only amazing thing about it!

• 29th Jun 2013
  • Sweden

we stayed one night at AHLA and when we arrived, two bungalows were still under construction. The hostel is not easy to reach, but Justin (manager of AHLA) guides you up and provides you with his self brewed ginger tea. The hostel still needs a lot of work, I think, but Justin is busy with that and when it will be finished, it will look much better. I have to say, Justin is one of the most welcoming people I have ever met, and he will bend over backwards to do anything to help you.

• 5th May 2013

Hi Evelien! Thank you for your comment. AHLA bungalows are officially complete as of this week (5/22) with views of the entire Arusha city! We also completed an outdoor restaurant! You are welcome any time again. It was a pleasure hosting you.

Host Justin was very helpful and kind, but unfortunately that is the only good thing we can say about this hostel (we are very surprised about other comments here and do not believe that most of persons are real...) - it is impossible to give 100% rate for this place. We have travelled a lot and always stayed in hostels and this was the worst (and it is not Tanzania "brend" - we stayed also in other hostel which was GREAT). It was dirty (besides shower was full with old shavers)..

Thank you for highlighting these issues- we are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied and through your feedback we will endeavour to improve our service!

I was booking a hostel about a month ago. I looked at the contrasting reviews and with some doubt decided to risk it. I won the jackpot! I represent a group of 5 budget travellers. We wanted a central base for organised 7 day Kilimanjaro trek, 2 one day safaris around Arusha, 4 day safari in Serengeti and some independent activities( 3 day Meru trek, trip to Zanzibar). The location was ideal – within an authentic African village; because of its elevation it has excellent view around; the 5 min walk up th

Jelena's response: "the 5 min walk up the hill was good practice for the later ascent (the staff were happy to carry our 30 kg luggage for $ 1). The fact that we formed a lifelong relationship with the staff and invited them to visit our homes in Scotland and in Russia says everything. The possibility of preparing our own food in the kitchen and WI-FI! – Tell me any other budget place around Kilimanjaro which would make such a perfect centre for our purpose? Cleanliness? I believe that some of the negative reviews are unrealistic: some people lost sight of the bigger picture of adventurous travel in an unfamiliar culture and were not adaptable enough." Best wishes for the success of your hostel in the future!" Thanks Jelena! We appreciate your support. --AHLA staff

AHLA is a wonderful hostel with a great staff! Justin is incredibly helpful and accommodating. The view from the hostel is amazing and the location is just outside of town. This was a great place to spend an evening in Arusha and the helpful and friendly staff was one of the best parts of the experience.

• 24th Jan 2013

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your support and look forward to hosting you again!

AHLA is a fabulous place to stay. Being a short distance (10 mins) out of town you get away from the hustle and bustle of Arusha and are rewarded with spectacular views looking back over town and the surrounding hillsides in a peaceful, friendly, very comfortable, welcoming hostel. The staff are brilliant and help you feel like you are at home, in a home away from home. Great food, great atmosphere and a great place to meet international travelers. Thank you so much!

• 19th Jan 2013

AHLA is a WONDERFUL place to stay! Going to Africa in itself was stepping out of my comfort zone as a 55-year-old mom. I have stayed at many places around the world, but nothing compares to the service I received at AHLA. From home-made ginger tea upon arrival to a tour of Arusha, Justin went above and beyond any expectation. My room was clean and comfortable, Internet was free, the staff cooked a delicious local meal for dinner, and I had amazing views of the entire Arusha city!!

• 18th Jan 2013

The people here are definitely nice and it looks iike they're WORKING on a great little hostel. In the meantime though, they should NOT be allowing visitors. The hike up the hill (through the mud and fields) is not fun (nor safe in the rain), the internet is not stable (tethered to an iphone), the sheets were dirty, the entire house was dirty (kitchen especially), they don't provide towels for guests, there is no soap to speak of. In four months of world travel, this hostel was by far the worst.

Thank you for highlighting these issues- we are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied and through your feedback we will endeavour to improve our service.

Staff amazing. It's like staying in a home and it's a small place so you get to know your fellow guests. Breakfast is good and the staff even cooks dinner. The location is on a hill with only a small trail leading up to it so it's a short hike up with your luggage, but the view is nice. No mosquito nets, no hot water, and the toilet is a squat toilet (but a clean one). Not a place for a one night stay, it is a 5 min drive and a 10-15 min walk to city center. Better if you are staying for longer.

Location is out of town, but with a beautiful view over Arusha and possibility to walk in the surrounding nature. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Hot water in the shower would be a great improvement.

Thank you for your feedback! Because we are an Eco-friendly hostel, we try to conserve as much water as possible. We are hoping to install a solar water heater in the future.

Arusha Hostel Lodge and Adventures honestly made my experience in Tanzania one of the most amazing. I really felt welcomed by the staff and atmosphere. As a frequent international traveler I've learned that you can never be too certain of what to expect from the hostels but I consider myself lucky to have found this one. I don't make referrals very often, but if you're looking for an exciting time in Tanzania I highly recommend staying at Arusha Hostel Lodge and Adventures for a few nights!!

• 1st Jan 2013

Thank you for your kind words, Mark! It was a pleasure hosting you and we would love to host you again on any future endeavors to Tanzania!

it was a nice hostel with a beautiful view and nice staff. The rooms where not as clean. The bedsheets smelled of sweat and had spots on them. The mats on the floors was filled with hair. The toilette in the double room was dirty and no pressure in the showers). Thou the nice staff made up for it and we stayed a couple of nights. It was also very quiet. The staff also showed us around town and booked Serengeti and m. Meru.

Thank you for presenting this issue. We have hired a cleaning staff and have purchased brand new sheets and blankets. We are sorry for any inconvenience we caused you, but we are happy you enjoyed AHLA's safari and hiking excursion!

this was a great place to stay. Justin met me at the road, got the taxi driver down pn price, cooked dinner and made me feel totally at home. He has built this house himself, and its an impressive achivenment when you see the location. Great house, great host and company. Would def stay for again. If you dont mind a sweaty climb up the hill, its def worth the effort.

After a little hike, it's a great place to relax and has an amazing view of Arusha. And Justin is the perfect host, very nice, helpful and can arrange everything you need!

If your up for a little hike to the hostel, this is the perfect spot to stay. It's set in a beautiful location, up on a hillside, overlooking part of Arusha and beyond. The owner, Justin, is one of the nicest and most helpful people you could ever meet. He showed me around, cooked breakfast, and made sure that I had everything that I needed. Awesome place, great people. If your in Arusha you've got to check it out.

Our experience at the hostel was amazing. I would suggest staying there for more than a couple of days because it's a bit of a hike up to the location and a bit out of town. However, there are plenty of great eateries and a dalla dalla stop by the hostel. It's an extremely homey place with a lovely kitchen, dining room, and living room area. Justin, the owner, picked us up at the dalla dalla stop, took us out for dinner and made us breakfast, and was a great person to talk to. Highly recommended

• 6th Oct 2012