Ashanti Lodge Gardens Reviews

11 Hof Street, Gardens, Cape Town, South Africa

Bar was open and people screaming all night, private rooms are much more expensive but not good value or money, had a more comfortable, quieter nights sleep in a dorm room! Overall poor experience of private rooms. Atmosphere is ruined by a weird group of teenagers running the bar who blare the techno early doors... Little atmosphere to talk and meet people without first drinking 5 shots!

• 24th Dec 2015

Hi there I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience at Ashanti - it must have been because everyone was having a big party for Christmas! As you can tell from the rest of our views, our guests mostly enjoy the vibe. Regards, Lisa

Hostels location was worser than expected, especially for the evening. Evening/night staff could be more kind/helpfull. Facilities were looking older than expected. Fan in the room was really noise, same for the lockers under the beds. Nobody told me that there were hot showers downstairs(had to hear this from an other tourist), showers on 1st floor were cold. No wifi on the room.. Music until late at night. Breakfast should be included if you charge this price for this facilities.

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The night staff work from 9pm until 7am and can sometimes get quite busy when they work alone, but are generally very personable, so I am surprised by this. In terms of the noise made by the fan and lockers, we have a sign in all the rooms asking for guests to inform us of anything that needs attending to tin the room as it can sometimes be quite difficult to know. The shower issue has been attended to now - again we were not informed, but the maintenance issue there has been fixed. Our prices are substantially lower than other hostels in our category so I am sorry that you felt it was too high. Regards Lisa

Great hostel with a realy good travel service. The baz bus is a good option to travel for a short time if you are one person otherwise it might be good to rent a car. Book the tours as soon as you get there because they might end up full for several days.

Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed our hostel and travel service. Regards Lisa

Stayed here for 6 nights.Excellent location and very friendly staff. You can literally book every tours Cape Town has to offer with their travel agent Lizet. They made my stay feels like home. Thank so much guys.

Thank you for your review and am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Safe travels! Regards Lisa

Nice hostel, friendly staff

Thanks Dhani!

Great facilities, with clean dorms and bathrooms and comfortable beds. Walking distance from Long Street, which is a tourist hub for dinner, etc. Travel agency and bar located inside the hostel. Lockers and safes in the dorms. I definitely recommend!

Hi Jaclyn Thanks for your review. It is great when our guests notice the little things that we do extra! Maybe see you back again one day? Regards Lisa

Facilities good but the place needs modernising. Location ok, 800m from long street, nice bar but not many backpackers in it, more of a local hangout.

Really nice hostel to stay, pick up some good tips from the tour booking desk and/or just relax by the pool. Highly recommend Juma's woodstock street art and township tours.

A good place to stay in Cape Town. Location cannot be beaten, it's close to Table mountain and Long Street is in walking distance. The area is safe. Good atmosphere at the bar. The staff at the reception and the travel centre is very friendly and helpful, those at the bar sometimes a little bit unmotivated. Rooms and facilities were clean and well maintained . Can definitely recommend it :-)

Thanks Jeremy!

Staff was amazing, always willing to help. The hostel offered many facilities and the place was very clean and everything looked new. Great vibe ! Just wish it was closer to Long Street...

Hi Bruna Thank you for your comment. Most of our guests actually find that our location is perfect, because it is close enough to the city yet away from the noise with a garden and swimming pool Regards Lisa

The hostel was perfectm amazing staff, always willing to help. I wish it was closer to long street.

Hi Bruna Thanks for your review. Most folk find our location perfect as we are just a 10 minute walk to Long Street so you can still go and party yet can come home to some quiet and even chill in the hammock in our garden and stare at our palm trees. Regards Lisa

Nice place, comfortable rooms, good central location and helpful staff. Not many people around, although it might have been because we visited in the winter or just during a time that they were not as full. I heard it was very popular though, so it probably is much more full in warmer months. Definitely recommended!

HI Jeff Thanks for your review. Yes, winter is definitely a little quieter than in summer but at least you get to be first in line for use of all the facilities :-) Safe travels Regards Lisa

Pretty good hostel. Not the best I've been to but I would still recommend. Always lots of staff on hand to help cater to the large hostel maintenance. Not too vibey in social terms though.

Hi Kessia Thanks for your review. I am surprised that you didn't find us very vibey - most guests seem to enjoy the events in the bar/cafe and seem to always find someone to hang out with. Thanks for the recommend though :-) Safe travels Regards Lisa

My stay at Ashanti was definitely good. The staff was very nice and helpful and the other travelers were incredibly awesome as well. Only down side was, that the music got louder and louder the later it got, but if you kindly ask them to turn it down, they will. Maybe the security pin for the doors should be changed on a regular basis.

HI Hannah Thanks for your review - we always appreciate constructive criticism and your comments have been duly noted! Regards Lisa

There was a weird smell in my room and the staff did not assist me in terms of taking me through the facilities. Alos, information regarding check-in was not available on Hostelworld.

Hello Janita Thank you for your review - I am not sure what you mean by "weird smell". All our rooms are serviced daily and if there was something wrong we would definitely have dealt with it! Regards,Lisa

Staff were amazingly helpful & the place has an amazing atmosphere. Pretty disappointing though when a guest gets mugged at knife point when he was dropped off directly at the front gate.

HI Derek Thanks for your response. I must admit we were all pretty shocked but the incident outside but to walk back alone from Long Street at 3am in the morning was probably not the best idea - he was followed from there! Nevertheless, I trust you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful city! Regards, Lisa

I stayed in a private ensuite that was wonderful. The dorms seemed even better, though. Beautiful renovated house with high ceilings and grand rooms. Lovely hostel in a great location - just adjacent to the best parts of Kloof. Great grounds and there's a pool! There's also a cafe/bar upstairs when you. Kitchen could use an update, especially the pots and pans, but I would definitely recommend staying here.

• 9th May 2015

HI Meghan Thanks for your review. I will go and have a look at the pots and pans - constructive criticism is always valuable. Thanks Lisa

Amazing hostel. Great vibe from Liz at the travel desk the moment we walked in. She also gave us some great recommendations! Great food and cheap drinks upstairs. I came here last minute after bad experiences at another hostel, only had 1 night available, I booked my shark dive, and they went out of their way to call the shark dive place and leave a message for me saying they could extend my stay as something opened up. Great customer service! Will definitely stay here again!

Helpful staff, cool atmosphere, great facilities.

Hi Leon - thanks for your kind review :-) Regards Lisa

Lovely place to stay and very central.

• 16th Mar 2015