Ashton House Hostel Reviews

Ashton House, 196 Corporation Street, Manchester, England

Delightful structures meet an untimely demise in America often. The gem has a real sense of survival, the location is in back of Shudehill Station. This lovely overnight journey from London was enjoyable as Ashton House is not a third world barracks, thankfully. The computers were additionally £1 the hour. We're learning us Americans to like dining in the basement if the water table cooperates. We have some sayings like "nickel & dime", "hamper scamper", "elbow in the eye" not european

No curtains, no light bulb in lamp on bed stand (they promised to repair both but they didn't). The room was not very clean and stank. The fire alarm went off because a staff member made toast. The reception is not very friendly. I would definitely not recommend it!

perfect for what we wanted

• 29th Aug 2015

The common area is dark and dirty. There was no atmosphere or any easeasy way to meet people. For a hostel so near the northern quarter and city centre it really leaves alot to be desired. Staff often talking on their phone and did not speak the best english

It took over 24 hours, and complaining 3 times before the men's restroom had a working toilet. One was clogged and smelt deathly and the other had a broken door and no bulb so I had to use a flashlight. The third staff member I spoke to was very nice and fixed the issue. The other two couldn't be bothered to care. One suggested I go to a pub.

• 4th Aug 2015

So dirty and humidity inside the place smelt very bad

The toilets could've been better, both in terms of cleanliness and overall condition. That said, when I found it clogged up, I was allowed to use another in one of the apartments whilst cleaning was going on. I like the kitchen area; plenty of glasses and fridge space available. I found the bed to be very comfortable. If I could have one rule it would be to insist that people don't eat in the room; they should really be eating in the kitchen area (the late night chomping was quite annoying).

Personally, I prefer smaller hostels, so I didn't particularly enjoy sharing the room with some 20 people (the smell wasn't too nice either, maybe improved ventilation system would be in place?). Apart from that, it's a fairly clean hostel (especially considering the number of the guests) and staff are very helpful and friendly.

It appeared to be more of a housing place than a youth hostel with families staying there. It's an old building and seemed quite run down. The lockers are tiny and the room absolutely stank. Not a great experience but what can you expect for the price . The staff (Natalia in particular) was extremely helpful and friendly!

Facilities are bad, kitchen missing a electrical stove is stupid that costs nothing and enables you to cook, instead there is only a microwave though there is plenty enough space for a stove. Bathroom not good, toilet lock broken, kinda smelly, showers rly weird there are 2 but one of them faces the door with transparent shower door, wtf? Too many people in some room, so you get the selfish people making calls in their bed all night while you're trying to sleep. It does annoy everyone. Bad place

the place is average. i mean cmon if you want something nice with luxury you can simply go somewhere else. but if you are just there to get to know the city and not the hostel this one should be enough. the only details i didnt like the wifi seems to have some problems but again you pay what you get. and the door from room 23 ) (i guess) was to loud so in case you go out at midnight your roomates would def. notice. other than that. the location is great and the staff was helpfull enough.

The shower room is only one for people. It is very inconvenient.

The dorms were very clean although it had a weird smell. The shower and bathroom facilities could be improved.

Would have liked the ability to rent an adapter for US plugs. Did appreciate help booking cabs. Bedding was very comfortable, even if mattress was thin.

• 16th May 2015

nice hostel

When I booked I got an email that said the remainder of the payment was due on arrival but they took it out of my bank account immediately anyway without notifying me then I needed to change my booking (nearly a month in advance at that point) and they said it would be fine and they'd refund me the extra but they never have and they've completely ignored all my requests for information. Regarding the facilities, they might as well rename the place faulty towers.

• 17th Apr 2015