Ashton House Hostel Reviews

Ashton House, 196 Corporation Street, Manchester, England

The air in the large room was very stuffy and the airfresheners did not help. Staff was very friendly and the showers were nice.

I love Ashton House Hostel!

Not the best choice. Also beware of £20 penalty for showing up later than 11pm sharp.

• 25th Aug 2014

It really miss a real kitchen in order to cook, only a microwaves is not nought

The room I've stayed in was absolutely beautiful, can't believe I've paid so little for it. The staff on the reception was very kind and helpful and I've enjoyed my stay very much. Only tiny little thing that I've missed was control for the TV, looked everywhere couple of times but just couldn't find it..but that didn't spoil anything, I'll definitely stay in Ashton House again if I've the opportunity :)

bath and toilets are far from rooms building very old, needs refurbishment

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Greece

The showers were the only positive thing about this hostel. The staff wasn't very helpful and the beds were the worst I've ever had in a hostel. The staff did not keep the luggage room locked. My room was in the bottom level and it was damp and smelled bad. The bathrooms were somewhat clean but there were stains and damages everywhere. The "lounge" was not much and not comfortable.

I was very annoyed with the group of idiots who shouted all night until about 5 am with no regard to the fact that other people were trying to sleep. This being a 24 hour hostel, there were staff who must have heard but did nothing to shut them up. The room I stayed in was fine, although hot as the windows didn't open. The showers were powerful, but beware if you need your privacy - it's an open plan shower room with no curtains. No kitchen so you can't cook your own food, which is a shame.

This place is a huge old building with a huge dorm room of about 30 beds. Some are behind curtains which create private rooms but most are not. If you're just after a bed and a relatively clean bathroom, this place is fine. It is a bit out of town though and it's cold, huge and to be honest a little creepy. Not much of a backpacker atmosphere but I did meet a few cool people.

The hostel was relatively close to everything, including the bus station. Some staff members came across as quite grumpy though. The women's showers were completely see-through so you had NO privacy and there was also mould on the walls and dirt everywhere. It was cheap, but I don't know if it was worth it.

Positive: Price and location. Just around the corner from Victoria Station, and very cheap. Negative: Facilities. I stayed in the big bunk bed dorm. The door was broken and needed to be slammed shut, which resulted in poor sleep. The whole level was a poorly ventilated basement which smelled of damp. The kitchen in particular was extremely stuffy and smelled of mould and old food. The toilets were dirty and small. Doable for one night, but I don't think I would have stayed much longer.

Really nice stay and a really good atmosphere! The Position is really good, it's Close to the Phones4u Arena and the City and there are good Connections to Train stations and tube.

We couldn't sleep at all the whole night. There were about 7 or 8 man that didn't stop talking, laughing loudly, insulting us, doing many phone calls and even farting all the night. They also were drinking alcohol. I became so angry that we almost fight with them. THE WORST HOSTEL in my whole life.

• 24th May 2014
  • Spain

When we arrived it had been raining all day and we had a basement room. Our room had a leak with water coming into the room through the floorboards making one side of the room completely unuseable. This was not ideal. We told the receptionists who said someone would be down to "take a look". This did not happen during our stay and we did not recieve an apology or any attempt at putting the situaion right.

• 24th May 2014

The hostel was ok but was not happy with the fact that Saturday night we had noisy neighbours who were playing loud music and when we complained to reception the young girl who was working was very apologetic and went and spoke to the guys and asked them to turn the music off and the she moved them downstairs to play music we complained of loud music 6 times but as the girl on reception was by herself she had no back up to ask them to leave the hostel. Apart from that we had a good stay

• 9th May 2014

3rd time visit. its convenient and familiar.

There is a really bad humidity smell down in the corridor near the showers and in the bathroom. there doesn't seem to be any regulations as to how noisy it is: at 3:30 am, there was a dorm of 6 having a rave party with loud transe or techno music coming out of their room which had its door opened.

Dear guest, thank you for your review. I would like to apologise about the noise disturbance. Perhaps you should have reported this to reception as we do have a policy in regards to noise in unsociable hours and the receptionist would have dealt with this issue promptly. In regards to the showers - they are planned for refurbishment in order to prevent damp - this work is planned for the next 6 weeks or so.

What a terrible environment!!! Like back to 18th century!!! No light in showering room, no lock in bathroom, people can come in freely when you take a shower. Do not book it, although it's a little cheaper compared to others, but it doesn't worth it at all. Never come back again!!!

• 25th Apr 2014
  • China

Dear guest, I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Ashton House. I just need to add one correction - there are definitely locks on all toilet doors. The shower room is communal and features multiple shower cubicles so therefore cannot be made private to one guest. In future, may I suggest booking an en-suite room which features a private bathroom.

I loved the location. It is close to the megabus station and city center. They have free storage, free wifi,laundry, washing tablets. etc. which I liked. However, the first night was very noisy approximately at 11pm-00:30am. Drunk people talking and laughing too loud in the common room. So, it took time to fall to sleep. Morever, sometimes it was very hot in the rooms. However, I would have returned because its good for its price.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Kazakhstan

Not a bad place if your not after much more than value for money. No real common room for socialising.