Ashton House Hostel Reviews

Ashton House, 196 Corporation Street, Manchester, England

People talking & shouting till past 4am. Lights on 9am on the dot, building work started just after. Dorm was ok, toilets smelt horrendous, after that couldn't be bothered attempting showers as I just got up and left.

There are three factors that made my stay uncomfortable. a) There are no separators (eg curtains) inside the big dorm so sound travels freely inside. b) Walls are thin and noises from the kitchen or bathrooms can be heard from within the dorm. c) The lights in the dorms go off and on automatically so you're either forced into staying up longer or waking up earlier than you wanted without being able to control anything. Those are just some point on which the hostel could improve upon.

Guys please consider booking this hostel if others are all fully-booked... This is the worst hostel I have never stayed before ! When we checked in someone was using our bed already so we asked the staff to give us another pillow! no curtain for your bed .and we stayed at 6 mixed dorm room but only have 2 sockets and they were in the corner of the room !The kitchen only has fridge and microwave nut no ovens for you to cook! The worst thing was doors of toilets were transparent. Sucky !

The toilet have no locks and they have transparent glass walls. Apart from that, our stay is quite comfortable, and the beds are quite OK. It is quite far to walk to the university of Manchester, so those visiting friends there may want to take note of this. However, there's a bus you can take from Manchester Piccadilly that cost 1 pound.

• 18th Dec 2015
  • Malaysia

when i had arrived there was a foreign lady wishing to complain, the lady on the desk was very rude to her and had done this in a matter with no respect to the guest and i had then wanted to find somewhere else to stay, but as there was nowhere else able to be booked everywhere was booked out i continued with the booking i had there, altho when i was there it was okay, you get what you pay for.

Really unimpressed, showers have no privacy, bathroom was flooded from the sinks being clogged

My friend and I stayed on a Saturday night. The hostel is fairly convenient to get to: 5-min. taxi from Piccadilly station or 15-minute walk through pretty nice parts of town. Northern Quarter is only a few minutes away, and there are loads of nice places to eat, drink and shop for cheap. Beds were comfy and clean, and women's toilet was fine (although I heard the men's wasn't). Served the purpose of a warm bed to sleep in well. Glad there was someplace that didn't have a two-night minimum!

• 14th Nov 2015

Gd location!

I cant complain to be honest, overall the hostel was very good, I slept like a baby, but the walls didnt stop noises from other rooms. I would definitely recommend this if you are just looking so save a few bucks and have a place to sleep. No lockers in the room. Location was good as it is 20 mins from picadilly gardens.

Horrible stay. The toilets were leaking in the male bathroom and after telling it twice to the front desk agent. He just did nothing and did not care. The kitchen was awful the sink always full of disgusting water. Room cards of 4 different guests stopped working in our dorm and we had to wake up to let them in. Again, front desk agent didnt even think about doing something. 0/10 on this awful hostel.

Every aspect of the stay was good apart from the cleanliness of the bathrooms, which could've been better. But otherwise it was excellent for the price it cost.

• 28th Oct 2015

what can u say when u have 28 beds in a room... very simple, plain n nothing special... bed was ok... on street parking was ok... location is noisy due to common/ breakfast room n traffic from roads n railways nearby... suggestion: reduce bed numbers in room n change configuration to provide more privacy in preference to money for heads in beds...

My room was located at the basement which was next to the toilets and I could smell some toilet smell in the room. Moreover, someone were talking and laughing loudly outside the room in the mid night which was really annoying and It was really noisy in the early morning as well, seems someone was playing music or watching TV outside the room. The atmosphere of the hostelwas bad and you are unlikely to meet some new friends there and the price of the bed is not cheap at all.

Delightful structures meet an untimely demise in America often. The gem has a real sense of survival, the location is in back of Shudehill Station. This lovely overnight journey from London was enjoyable as Ashton House is not a third world barracks, thankfully. The computers were additionally £1 the hour. We're learning us Americans to like dining in the basement if the water table cooperates. We have some sayings like "nickel & dime", "hamper scamper", "elbow in the eye" not european

Worst bed I ever slept in, I even thought about sleeping on the floor. The girl at the reception was not very helpful or kind (She had been working for like 14 hours in a row though, so I cannot blame her). There were no lockers in the big dorm and the facilities were dirty and unsufficient. I would not stay here again.

No curtains, no light bulb in lamp on bed stand (they promised to repair both but they didn't). The room was not very clean and stank. The fire alarm went off because a staff member made toast. The reception is not very friendly. I would definitely not recommend it!

perfect for what we wanted

• 29th Aug 2015

Ridiculously expensive, yet still the cheapest in town. Bathrooms were disgusting, the smell on the whole floor even more so. Dorm door was always open, the 28 bunk bed was merely a place to crash - we did not want to spend any minute more than neccessary in there. Staff were ok.