Ashton House Hostel Reviews

Ashton House, 196 Corporation Street, Manchester, England

We just stayed one night there. On the same day evening I got a call from the hostel asking my checkin time. As I was trapped in motorways traffic jam I informed them that I'll be late but they warned me to checkin within night 11, as per hostel rule. But at last we managed to reach there at night 11:45 but still they have welcomed us, I really thank them for their help.

The place is Wellington located, and at first sight it is good, but the staff is not nice and the services are poor and abandoned, not clean and far away from the rooms.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

Its a very clean hostel situated at a corner of Manchester. The rooms are all controlled by key cards. Toilet on the first floor was very clean but the ones at the basement level needs alot of work.. Showers were very cool. Customer service was pretty good, allowing luggage services and answered to our queries.

Good showers, very cold though n no proper kitchen

Not very great mattresses or pillows. Also we were a bit gutted cause our group of three people did not get into the same dorm, even though there were single travellers arriving and departing on the same day as us.

Being a not to costy hostel this place looked very good and had nice beds!

• 15th Mar 2014

The female bathroom was very messy - I'm not sure if it was in the middle of a refurbishment? Good location and helpful staff. Good value for money - you pay for what you get!

• 22nd Feb 2014

Friendly staff and clean room, though facilities were basic and bed was uncomfortable. Smelly washing facilities. Price for staying a night was quite reasonable.

Room was good value, very clean and would stay there again, also a helpful and friendly receptionist

• 15th Feb 2014

My room had no facilities to charge my phone or laptop. This was a massive inconvenience since I had to go to the kitchen and guard my possessions while they were being charged every day.! I imagine this was the case because it was a cost saving measure by the hostel. The shower facilities which were located next to my room are not adequately partitioned which meant that I could here everybody shower late into the night like 00.30 which made sleep impossible! Was not value for money.

• 15th Jan 2014

Ashton House Hostel is a good one. I stayed at the hostel over 6 months, and I am quite satisfied with the service. Although it is a bit expensive, charging over 100 pounds weekly, including fees taken at the www.hostelworld.com. They could have more power-sockets in dorms, that would definitelly benefit the residents.

Stayed here twice with my partner whilst backpacking! Is close to main part of Manchester, everything you need, clean, helpful staff! Good for meeting people too!!!

Dirty, no facilities, no sokets to plug anything in the room, everyone complainin, not a good experience at all

Although its in an excellent location, the whole experience was abissmal. They have no idea on even basic hygiene. Beds not changed, ripped and frayed bedding, the shower I don't think ever has been cleaned, black mouldy grout. Damp on ceiling, bogeys and blood on walls, dirty floors. We found old dusty socks and dusty hats found underneath my bed upon leaving. Utterly disgusting. We had to sleep on towels!!!! Would never recommend this facility to anyone. Im Beyond disappointed.

• 14th Dec 2013
  • Scotland

The showers are indeed very good, but the heating does not work in the shower room. We had problems with our nextdoor customers, who were partying until 5,30am on a Tuesday, running through the corridors, etc and nobody told them anything. We would have appreciated if someone had said something. The toilettes are old, but they are very clean. And our matress (room 10) is not a very good condition. However we are aware of the money we payed, so the balance was good.

• 8th Dec 2013
  • Spain

The staff greeted me when I checked in was extremely rude. The toilet and bathroom facility was really bad, with tiles falling off from the ceiling, the toilet door cannot be shut. At night, other guests from other room were loud and there were no staff to control.

The hostel has some cheating , i gave the deposit already ,but the hostel need me to have full payment before .It is nonsense .

• 16th Nov 2013
  • Hong Kong

Hi Pui if you read out terms and conditions before booking you will know we contact all bookings made for event days, weekends and groups for advance payment and the day you booked was a saturday. All saturday bookings pay in advance and this is outlined in the description before you book. Many guests pay 10% yet do not turn up so this is not sufficient enough to keep the bed during a busy period where we will turn many people away.

Staff were very slow and poor customer service. Hostel was ideal though. Good facilities and location. Site indicated that there was free parking. This however was not the case.

• 16th Nov 2013

Hi Mark, Thank you for your feedback, there is free parking on the road outside the hostel, there are bays and you can park there from 4pm until the next day free of charge. Sorry we weren't able to assist you with the information about this at the time. kind regards, Rebecca, Ashton House

This is a good place to stay! The staff is not so attenciuos, but the place and prices are ok.

Good hostel for the price paid, ideal as a place to pass the night. One downside was that the individual lights over the bed didn't work, so when I arrived late at night I had to turn the light of the whole room, possibly disturbing other guests in their sleep. The hostel should have breakfast, it is a nice and very useful service to provide, even if it is at an extra cost.

• 2nd Nov 2013