Ashton House Hostel Reviews

Ashton House, 196 Corporation Street, Manchester, England

A place that is perfect for only needing a bed!!The facitilites smelt a little bit but otherwise all ok!

No issues. Just Basic. Real basic.

Mattress springs dug in a bit. I wouldn't call it a boutique hostel either. It's pretty basic. Girls showers weren't as high tec as the boys.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

I like the place it had every thing and it was value for money and it was always clean and the staff were good to.

Not the best hostel ever. No circulation in the 24 bed dorm so they cover up the smell with air freshers. Pillow was flatter than a pancake, very dusty, unfriendly staff, bathrooms are old and need improvements like locks on the door perhaps, walls are paper thin so don't expect to get a good sleep. Futuristic showers was the only good thing about this place. There were a few other bad things that I can't remember. Don't stay here if possible.

Only one night's stay so limited impression. Hostel is located close to Victoria train station and within easy access of most of Manchester's nightlife, shares its area with a lot of student accomm. Facilities are generally good, dorms very pleasant, lack of locker was a surprise but rooms are on a card lock. Shower units very elaborate for a hostel (worth a visit just for these!). Staff very friendly and helpful. Hostel lacks a common space and seemed very quiet, but was a weekday. Would again

The air in the large room was very stuffy and the airfresheners did not help. Staff was very friendly and the showers were nice.

I love Ashton House Hostel!

Not the best choice. Also beware of £20 penalty for showing up later than 11pm sharp.

• 25th Aug 2014

It really miss a real kitchen in order to cook, only a microwaves is not nought

The room I've stayed in was absolutely beautiful, can't believe I've paid so little for it. The staff on the reception was very kind and helpful and I've enjoyed my stay very much. Only tiny little thing that I've missed was control for the TV, looked everywhere couple of times but just couldn't find it..but that didn't spoil anything, I'll definitely stay in Ashton House again if I've the opportunity :)

bath and toilets are far from rooms building very old, needs refurbishment

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Greece

The showers were the only positive thing about this hostel. The staff wasn't very helpful and the beds were the worst I've ever had in a hostel. The staff did not keep the luggage room locked. My room was in the bottom level and it was damp and smelled bad. The bathrooms were somewhat clean but there were stains and damages everywhere. The "lounge" was not much and not comfortable.

I was very annoyed with the group of idiots who shouted all night until about 5 am with no regard to the fact that other people were trying to sleep. This being a 24 hour hostel, there were staff who must have heard but did nothing to shut them up. The room I stayed in was fine, although hot as the windows didn't open. The showers were powerful, but beware if you need your privacy - it's an open plan shower room with no curtains. No kitchen so you can't cook your own food, which is a shame.

This place is a huge old building with a huge dorm room of about 30 beds. Some are behind curtains which create private rooms but most are not. If you're just after a bed and a relatively clean bathroom, this place is fine. It is a bit out of town though and it's cold, huge and to be honest a little creepy. Not much of a backpacker atmosphere but I did meet a few cool people.

The hostel was relatively close to everything, including the bus station. Some staff members came across as quite grumpy though. The women's showers were completely see-through so you had NO privacy and there was also mould on the walls and dirt everywhere. It was cheap, but I don't know if it was worth it.

Positive: Price and location. Just around the corner from Victoria Station, and very cheap. Negative: Facilities. I stayed in the big bunk bed dorm. The door was broken and needed to be slammed shut, which resulted in poor sleep. The whole level was a poorly ventilated basement which smelled of damp. The kitchen in particular was extremely stuffy and smelled of mould and old food. The toilets were dirty and small. Doable for one night, but I don't think I would have stayed much longer.

Really nice stay and a really good atmosphere! The Position is really good, it's Close to the Phones4u Arena and the City and there are good Connections to Train stations and tube.

We couldn't sleep at all the whole night. There were about 7 or 8 man that didn't stop talking, laughing loudly, insulting us, doing many phone calls and even farting all the night. They also were drinking alcohol. I became so angry that we almost fight with them. THE WORST HOSTEL in my whole life.

• 24th May 2014
  • Spain

When we arrived it had been raining all day and we had a basement room. Our room had a leak with water coming into the room through the floorboards making one side of the room completely unuseable. This was not ideal. We told the receptionists who said someone would be down to "take a look". This did not happen during our stay and we did not recieve an apology or any attempt at putting the situaion right.

• 24th May 2014