Aso Base Backpackers Reviews

1498 Kurokawa,ASO-shi, KUMAMOTO-ken, Kumamoto Pref Volcano Aso, Japan

Exceptionally clean, excellent location, wonderful mountain view, great kitchen

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Taiwan

I really love the atmosphere of the hostel. Everything is clean and tidy. I feel so comfortable during my stay. I stayed in the twin room and it was more spacious than i have expected or compared to other hostels in jp. The host is friendly and decorates the hostel so well. The open kitchen is well equipped. It's enjoyable staying there and I'll definitely stay there again! BTW, it takes only a few min walk from Aso JR station and around 10-15 min walk to local supermarket and daiso!

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

We really enjoyed our stay here. It exceeded our expectations in every way. We had a rental car, so it is hard to comment on location.... but if renting a car and visiting Mt. Aso, this is a great place to be!

I think the best guesthouse I've been!

Very stylish and new hostel, location is an ideal starting point for Aso. Staff could be more open, though.

Best hostel I've ever stayed in! Really clean and new. Kitchen looked more like a magazine kitchen than a hostel kitchen :) If you get the chance, stay there!!

The hostel is very close to the train station and convenient store. The toilet and bathing facilities are really clean. The design of bed is also very user friendly. Personal belongings and luggages can be placed nicely in the bed. Common room is very beautiful. The only bad thing is the rooms have no doors and are covered only by curtains. So it could be disturbing if you have a noisy roomate next door.

Wonderful hostel with great information, facilities, and staff! The beds and rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again!

Pretty luxury place for a hostel. Everything is new, clean and cosy. Close to Bus and train station. I wish the dorms would have a door instead of a curtain, but still okay.

This hostel is immaculately kept! I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere created in the entry in common area and the ability to choose the privacy level of your accommodations! It is located right at the base of Mt Aso. If you stay on the road the the hostel is on you drive directly to the crater! For the purist, they have lots of maps and guides to get you there on foot! Excellent experience! You won't find cleaner showers anywhere!

• 9th May 2014

The hostel is just minutes away from the Aso JR station. The facilities are amazing! Everything you could possibly want in a hostel is located here and more. Laundry machines are available and the book collection is quite impressive. They even a have a small selection of specialty beer and sake at the counter for sale. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. They provide great insider information on request. I was hugely impressed!

I had such a great time there!! Very clean and well equiped hostel. The staff is very helpfull, the location is perfect (you can see the hostel's sign from the train station, there's a convenience store nearby, and an onsen). I definitely recommend it!! Also the beds are amazing, which is good after a long day of hiking!

Best hostel I've stayed in in Japan (and I've travelled extensively across the whole country). Can't recommend it highly enough! Definitely worth the price and a great base for visiting Aso.

• 3rd May 2014

Wonderful hostel at superb location. Couldn't ask for anything more.

The best hostel I ever stayed in!!!!!! 100% perfect. You have to tray the hot chocolat in front of the fireplace. I recocmmend it!

We had a great time at this hostel. The staff helped us great and was really friendly. Everything was really clean and the living room was really cozy!

nice, helpful staff. good location. versatile kitchen facilities. clean. a great view from your room!

Clean hostel and there is all you need. Near the station and a supermarket. Thought beside the touristic volcano there is really nothing to do there. The staff was professionnal but very cold.

Great backpacker, so convenient for hiking around Aso, great tips from the owner on hiking paths, the lockers are huge (my entire backpack fitted+some extra space yeah!), super clean and well decorated... Best hostel so far in Japan !

Almost perfectly set up hostel with everything you would like in a hostel: good kitchen, nice common room, excellent showers, good beds and room for your backpack and stuff, information on trips, etc. Perhaps because of it all being (almost) perfect, it misses a bit of character though.

View all Kumamoto Pref Volcano Aso Hostels