Asylum Cairns Reviews

149 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

I had a really joyful experience while staying at this hostel, the staff were considerate and kind and straight away easy to get along with and were keen to check find out if there was anyway they could help me out with my touring or travel plans from and away from Cairns, to which is always handy. I would recommend this hostel for an affordable comfy place to staff with joyful staff.

• 23rd Jun 2015

This amazing backpacker hostel is a must if you travel the east coast solo, the place is basically designed for you to meet new cool people, who most likely loves the goon, gooning and gooners!! The place is awesome if you don't feel like spending a fortune on your accomodation or staying where you can't drink your own alcohol Also, shout out to Jens in reception, never before have I heard such an amazing German Bond Villain Accent! Cheers, Ronia

• 11th Jun 2015
  • Sweden

This place was disgusting. Dirt everywhere, awful location as it wasn't near anything and I saw waaayyyy to many bums n balls. Worst hostel I've stayed in

Paying for wifi? I don't think that's good for a hostel with backpackers who don't really want to spend money on that when you can get it for free most places.

Who wants a cheap hostel with nice staff and a familiar sphere and has no 5 star demands is here at the right place!.... I enjoyed the stay.

Very friendly staff, awesome atmosphere and nice people. And the cheapest hostel in cairns ;)

• 21st Apr 2015

Very good staff but the vibe is this hostel is hypster. The kitchen is not very clean and good and also you have to rent your kitchen equipment. The facilities are clean but very basique (bathroom and toilets). There is no locker in the room and the room are good enough to sleep. it's good for a couple days but not for a long stay.

This hostel has everything and more: -Clean kitchen area -Quiet, spacious dorm rooms -Swimming pool -All staff are really friendly -Social area that has free tea and coffee all day, with wifi. -Really easy to meet people -A 'pants down' social most Thursday's, which is cheap for what you get! Plus you get to make your own tshirt and have 7 days of wifi free if you sign up for the social. -Even if you're not looking to drink and stay up late every night (which you can with people every night if y

• 17th Mar 2015

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. It was an absolute pleasure having both of you and we look forward to the opportunity to look after you again soon. Kind regards

There were $4 BBQ party. It was great. But room was hot and there were ant in bed. So my friend was bit by it. It's 15 min far from market. It's shuttle service was good.

Thank you for your feedback. ANTS: While we have very strict policies in place with penalties for eating in rooms, it is very difficult to ensure NOBODY does it. HOT ROOM: It is important to keep windows open for air circulation with the fan on. However, the windows and door MUST be kept closed while airconditioner is running. We are glad that you enjoyed your BBQ dinner with us and we hope we will again have the opportunity to look after you when you return.

I loved asylum, and would never stay anywhere else in Cairns. The atmosphere is great, day and night. I've already returned once and hope to again.

Did not have aircondition and the fan was broken = super hot in the room. Otherwise i really likes our stay here!

Thank you for bring the malfuntion of the fan & airconditoner to our attention. It appears that the fan has a contact problem in its regulator and the airconditioner needed to be replaced. Both problems have been rectified, Kind regards

the room was absolutely dirty and the aircon to loud.. location far away from everything..

I believe this MAY be a case of confusing messy with dirty. From our records, the room you were put in was completely empty and thoroughly cleaned out 2 days prior to your arrival. Your room-mates occupied the room immediately and were there for 2 nights before you checked in. While we try our best to clean around the items that are sometimes left strewn around the dorm, we also respect our Guests' belongings and avoid moving anything wherever possible.

A mix of people, some just travelling through and some longer stays, meant it was fun but not exactly crazy as some of the crowd would have work the next day, be low on funds or over Cairns weekday nightlife. Rooms did the basics. Somewhere to drop your stuff (but no secure lockers), escape the heat, and sleep at night. Can't comment on Wifi as I never tried it since had data on my phone. Staff were good sorts for the most part. Joe and Nina were particularly easy to get along with and chat

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback. We hope to see you again soon in Cairns and looking forward to the opportunity of once again, looking after you. Kind Regards.

Its a classic case of you get what you pay for! Not in the safest of areas so if you're a girl travelling alone I wouldn't recommend it. I made the mistake of walking by the park on my own and got shouted at and felt very unsafe. Most of the staff were really nice and the two best were Nina and I think his name was Michael. Not great but what can you expect when you are paying so little.

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. Being street safe is always a primary concern ESPECIALLY when travelling alone, Always ask the locals, in this case, Our Crew, where to avoid. Kind regards

Had an awesome time at asylum. The hostel is really cheap, air conditioned rooms, pool, nice open kitchen and so on. The staff is helpful and I can just recommend it to everyone travelling to cairns looking for fun with nice outgoing people. Thanks guys!

If u are looking for not only a place where to sleep but also a spot where to talk to people and have fun, Asylum is the place. Moreover they have a very excellent deal with airport shuttle (just follow the instructions they provided and dont do it own your on at the airport), it is very well located (not exactly in the main street but you can reach it in 10 min walk) and it is secure. All facilities are provided, u have to pay for wifi but u can use computers for free.