Asylum Cairns

8.1
Fabulous 902 Total Reviews

• England, Male, 18-24
18th Apr 2017

Everyone was lovely, Joe and Abi really helped me settle in, and the whole atmosphere made me extend my stay another 2 nights! Would recommend the place to anyone!

16th Apr 2017

Great staff of close friends and long term travellers. They helped book a PADI course and liveaboard trip to the reef with a pretty good discount as well. There are quite a few rules and the $50 deposit is inconvenient but as long as you're not being an ass, nothing to worry about. Also the frequent group meals/BBQ are awesome. You can't feed yourself for less and a great way to meet people!

Thanks for the review! It was a pleasure having you around. Pity you couldn't stay for a real BBQ! Try that next time you're around! Cheers, Management

• Germany, Female, 18-24
10th Apr 2017

Nice staff, amazing bar crawl on Wednesdays! It was a 10min walk from the city centre though. Rest was awesome:)

28th Mar 2017

Great place for the price! Short walk to the lagoon and restaurants. Great for solo travelers, everyone is really friendly and inclusive.

• England, Female, 25-30
23rd Mar 2017

This is by far the best hostel i have stayed at in Australia. The communal area has lots of sofas and hamocks making it so easy to meet people. One of the very few hostels where you can bring your own alchohol. This makes a huge difference. You can enjoy a drink whenever you want and it brings everyone together. The owners and staff are great; very friendly. This hostel is clean, anyone who says its dirty had a very high expectation of what clean is !! Stay here!!! Aimee and James xx

• Germany, Female, 18-24
22nd Mar 2017
2.0

The Hostel is very terrifying! The Hostel is surrounded by aggressive and drunken people. It's dirty everywhere, mice run around, in the kitchen is quite nothing but stinky fridges, a dirty microwave, two cooking places and a few broken pans and completly burned pots. There's Not Even cuttlery!! They want 50$ cash deposit for dirty rooms with dirty sheets! There's no 24 Hour reception. We strongly reccomend to Check in another hostel in Cairns!!!!

Hi there, We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Nevertheless, we would have been able to deal with almost everything that detracted from your stay if you had come to us with your problems. The fridges, microwaves and fridges are observed throughout the day, and old food is removed daily - the unfortunate thing about shared facilities is that all it takes is one dirty guest to mess up the appearance untli the next time we clean it! At check-in we explain that you are able to borrow cutlery and plates from reception at no extra cost, there are also multiple signs in the kitchen stating this. Your report of mice is the first we have heard in at least a year; although we'd have liked to have handled it during your stay, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. The bed sheets are all cleaned by an outside contractor with stringent quality control - we would have been able to lodge a complaint had we known you weren't satisfied with their condition. The $50 deposit is paid by every guest to cover not just bed linen, room keys, and kitchenware but also the possibility of damages from guests. We hold these deposits as a last resort and try our absolute best to return them to even our most difficult guests. Finally, you will find that 24-hour receptions are almost unheard of in Cairns - the low-price of hostel accommodation makes it unfeasible for smaller properties. I hope you understand this. We once again apologise for your experience, and wish you well on your travels. Cheers, Management

16th Mar 2017
6.3

It rained through the ceiling onto my backpack.... everything wet. Not exactly what I look for in a hostel. This place needs some serious repairs.

• Canada, Female, 25-30
9th Mar 2017
7.4

Everything was great for the amount I paid aside from the staff. When I went to check out they basically wouldn't give me my deposit back until they made sure they had the key and all the sheets and plates from another girl that had been in my room who left early in the morning and wasn't able to check out. We didn't come there together and I certainly wasn't responsible for her but they treated the check out like I was. It was pretty annoying.

Hi there! I'm Joe, the guy who you checked out with. I apologise for the mix-up. I had noticed you and the other girl who left early checking in, and assumed you were travelling together. This was my mistake, and you are absolutely right in saying you are not responsible for the other girl's things. I can't clearly remember how the rest of the check-out went, but I guess the scene was set by my faulty assumption! I'm glad you found the rest of the stay pleasant though. Thank you for your review, and we wish you well on the rest of your travels! Cheers.

• England, Female, 18-24
6th Mar 2017

As it was advertised, very friendly hostel. All staff are so welcoming, big thank you to Joe in particular for helping me to arrange a cheaper tour to the waterfalls! And the pub crawl and BBQ are great :)

• Turkey, Male, 25-30
21st Feb 2017

Superb Hostel ! Lots of entertainment , if u are solo traveller never miss that place. Always clean, amazing staff.