Asylum Cairns Reviews

149 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

At first glance, this hostel may look a bit sketchy from the outside. But the moment you step in, you are welcomed by the amazing staff. They take you around introduce you to other staff facilities, as well as other guests (who they remember by name!). The hangout spot/lounge always has friendly staff who are engaging. There's hammocks couches to hang out on with sand to make you feel like you're on the beach. Good rooms, kitchen, washrooms. 10 min walk to CBD. Good price. Would stay again

Awesome hostel! Friendly staff and great for people travelling alone!

• 19th Nov 2014

Very nice place and staff for good price!

• 16th Nov 2014

Familiar atmosphere due to several long-term residents. The Sunday-BBQ is an unbeatable deal! Bathrooms were clean. It´s a 10 minute-walk to the Esplanade. Cutlery requires a 10dollar-deposit (you get it back without any problems, it´s not to be hired as some signs are saying)

If you're looking for a chill hostel with friendly people Asylum Cairns is a great place. The outdoor common spaces are a great place to hang out and the staff and guests made me feel like part of the family. The walk to town really isn't bad. The Pants Down party was not as nuts as I expected in a good way, I had a fun night. I would definitely stay there again.

Got really cheap bed in five bed dorm. Hostel was nice and staff friendly and chatty. Hammocks outside were perfect. No complaints really. Cannot say anything about the kitchen because didn't use that a lot. Would probably stay there again if ever in Cairns again (didn't fancy Cairns really much..)

The staff were amazing. Everytime I walked in, I had a friendly hello from the guys at the desk. Any time I needed help with booking things they would sit down and give me the time to do it. Highly recommend the place. The cleanliness is the same as all other hostels. Great casual atmosphere!

• 29th Oct 2014

Great location. Party hostel. secure location to park your campervan if you have one. only a few blocks from the port/ocean. Be prepared to party on Thursday for they have their crazy Pants Down party. Kitchen is large and clean with fridge. Rooms are secure. Sadly you have to pay 2 dollars a day if you want wifi (5 dollars on first day to 'activate). However, there is a nice computer with free internet in the lobby for anybody to use. Great music! There are a few long term residents there.

My stay at asylum was the best experience ever! Everyone is really friendly and you always meet new people. It is a bit of a walk from town but not too far. If i go back to Cairns i will go straight to Asylum!

• 22nd Oct 2014
  • Belgium

The pool was flithy i wouldn't swim in it, no lockers but they will keep valueables in reception

I stayed in the double room with my gf and then alone in a 4 bed dorm after a few days. Friendly staff and great atmosphere. Hostel structure lets people who want to party to party loudly while people in rooms are barred off from noise. Everything is great but the only small downside is that it's a 10 minute walk to the center, unlike many hostels in Cairns where they arenlocated in the center. Otherwise, a superb place to stay, especially for this value.

I had booked Asylum Cairns from Oct /13/2014 to Oct/ 15/2014. However, due to the flght problem. I was forced to stop in Japan as there was a serious typhoon. I did not go to the Hostel, may I ask if there is any refund under this kind of situaion? Thank you, and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Everything was great. Lovely staff. Good value for money. Made you very welcome. If your looking for cheap accom and to make friends this place is for you. Also if you love to drink theres a pub crawl.

Awesome place! You'd be daft to stay anywhere else in Cairns! Staff are all legends - especially Mike (Kevin)

I will always stay here when I go to cairns! It's such a lovely atmosphere to be in.

• 24th Sep 2014

Deposits have to be left for cutlery,room key, even a mug if you want a tea or coffee. Think the hostel needs to be a bit more chilled out. You have to pay 5 dollar connection charge and then an extra 2 dollar per day for wifi which is a bit expensive plus you can only use it one 1 device. Didn't think the place had a great atmosphere. I wouldn't stay there again.

Hi, We completely understand the frustration at asking for deposits for what seems like absolutely everything! We wouldn't have to in a perfect world with unforgetful and decent people, but over the last few years we've had more complaints about cutlery being stolen or missing, and dirty mugs lying around. This is the only way that we don't have to charge extra for services. I'm also sorry you didn't enjoy the atmosphere. You were only here Monday and Tuesday, which are usually recovery days.

Bathrooms and Kitchen are superb. Girls only rooms are very large and spaces. Clean and affordable for anyone who is needing to save a few dollars. Iam not complaining because the staff are excellent. Friendly people. Approximately 7 minutes walk to the city centre and easy access to esplanade. There is free internet and of other mega goodies... I would recomend this place to anyone who wish to save a few dollars n is outgoing. Thanks

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Papua New Guinea

I spent 1 month in Asylum and it was a awesome time. I had a lot nof fun and the atmosphere was amazing. The reception guys are really helpful and friendliy. I also really liked the seperate beds and the public area is really chilled out!!

We had a great time. Staff are all lovely and go out of their way to be friendly. It's a very relaxed place, lots of people to chat to, heaps of communal space, lots of drinks and nights out going on but for a "party" hostel everyone was very respectful and we actually had some good night's sleep. The pool is great and so is the no bunk beds thing! Would stay there again definitely, cheap, comfortable, lots of fun and nice people.

• 20th Aug 2014

Lots of fun at this hostel not loud at silly times. Party every Thursday cheap all you can eat BBQ Sunday