Asylum Cairns Reviews

149 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Friendly staff, OK location, good atmosphere, all in all I enjoyed my stay, my only winge (but lets face it we bring it on ourselves) is the deposit for cutlery.

Our stay was pleasant enough in the unbearable Cairns heat. Staff helpful enough and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a private room so couldn't tell you how a dorm would be.

• 28th Jan 2016

Very friendly hostel, made me feel very welcome! Good kitchen and washing machines, good free wifi too! Staff very lovely and friendly! Would recommend

• 27th Jan 2016

Had a great time at asylum. All the staff were really friendly and took the time to get to know everyone staying there. Good atmosphere, the pants down party on a Thursday night was a good laugh and everyone seemed to get on really well. Toilet facilities were always kept clean as well as the kitchen too. If you want a homely place to stay with friendly people then stay here. I will definitely visit again if ever I go back to cairns.

Such an awesome hostel. Those guys party hard, and know about all the fun and interesting things around Cairns. Would definitely stay here again!

+ big rooms :) ° many long term residents. - no lockers :(

I couldn't have had a better experience Big kitchen with loads of storage space WiFi in communal area only, but that was never an issue Clean pool, refreshments near reception Comfortable beds. Huge mix of people Is about 10 min walk from town Don't miss their famous Thursday night, all for a very good cause! Plus you get to see cairns nightlife Chilled atmosphere in the day, and dorms away from communal area so if you go to bed early - no worries I wish I had never left! solo traveller

Really nice I stayed 2 nights with my sister, she doesn't speak English but they took there time to speak with her! It is really cheap and well organize we had a barbecue for 2.5dollars pp which was really good! Nice place to stay!

• 4th Jan 2016

the hostel is quiet enough but we spent most of the time killing cockroaches the size of a shoe. One roach had a gun and wanted to rob us. We kill three of them the first night, gathered their corpses in an improptu cemetery, and the second night we found another two mourning their deaths. We had to kill them too, sadly one was a child. War is hard.

• 1st Jan 2016

Had a great time at the asylum! It's a great place to meet people and hang out since there is always someone around to have a chat with. The staff is very friendly and actually remembers your name after your first encounter. I'd especially like to thank Amin and Joe for always making me feel welcome.

awesome stay so far. great staff, alex and amin

The kitchen had some equipment not functioning (e.g. one of the stoves was practically impossible to turn on) and the microwave wasn't great. Also, not allowing storage of cooler bags in the fridges is not nice, just promotes the use of plastic bags. It would be great if there were some recycling bins.

• 29th Dec 2015
  • Portugal

Hi there, thanks for your review. We don't allow cooler bags in the fridges because of the using up of space, and the fact that cooler bags slow down the cooling of your food by keeping cold air out (like it keeps hot air out when outside). You will find we do have recycling bins on the property. In Australia, they have yellow tops - we have a couple of them at the front area. Thanks for your alerting us to these issues, but we would like to have attended to them while you were staying to make your stay more pleasant! In any case, we hope you enjoy the rest of your travels! Cheers.

Good value for money. Internet is strong and fast enough to stream things, air conditioning in most rooms, rooms that are cleaned every day, bathrooms are a bit dingy but clean. Very chilled vibe here, seems like a lot of longterm residents but all very nice and friendly. Staff are very helpful and kind. Within walking distance of town center but not too nice of a neighborhood. Free mangoes and cute hostel cat.

The hostel was nice to stay at, nice hammocks&sofas to hang in. Great wifi too! The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were quite clean, but the airconditioning made a lot of noise, and since my bed was next to it I had to shut it down for the night. It became really hot in the room. The swimming pool is next to the street, without any fence.. The bathrooms weren't very nice. It was cleaned often but there were little insects in the sink. Wouldn't go back.

• 8th Dec 2015
  • Belgium

Thank you for your honest feedback! We apologise for the a/c mishap, we would have happily arranged you to be in another room had we known about it. We're confused about what you mean about the pool fence. We have a fence around the pool that meets all government requirements. We're also sorry about the insects, but unfortunately Cairns is a tropical town and though we have pest control that keeps them out, some will be smart enough to get in! We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels!

Wifi is really good. Big outside area to hangout with people. Staff is really nice especially alex!

Hostel was very spacious and clean. The crowd the hostel attracts is a bit odd if you're a young girl traveling, and the wifi and kitchen are closed randomly for these various parties you feel forced to participate in at times. However, other than that we had a great stay in a perfect location and security.

• 2nd Dec 2015

What an awesome place, staff were so friendly and welcoming, not far to walk from the bottle shops and supermarkets, a little further to the marina and lagoon but still easily within walking distance. Comfy beds, excellent facilities and just awesome people. You can't go wrong!

The hostel is really old, I wonder how people could stay here for many months. It's because of the great vibe! The staff really make sure there is opportunity for everyone to meet other people on parties and BBQs. The place is not luxury, but you feel at home!

• 1st Dec 2015

The hostel is clean, well located, and the staff is friendly and helpful. Overall a very nice stay.

Great all you can eat barbi and such friendly staff ! Pretty clean and everyone is super helpful :D Great value !

• 29th Nov 2015