Asylum Cairns Reviews

149 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

I had booked Asylum Cairns from Oct /13/2014 to Oct/ 15/2014. However, due to the flght problem. I was forced to stop in Japan as there was a serious typhoon. I did not go to the Hostel, may I ask if there is any refund under this kind of situaion? Thank you, and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

• 13th Oct 2014
  • Taiwan

Everything was great. Lovely staff. Good value for money. Made you very welcome. If your looking for cheap accom and to make friends this place is for you. Also if you love to drink theres a pub crawl.

Awesome place! You'd be daft to stay anywhere else in Cairns! Staff are all legends - especially Mike (Kevin)

I will always stay here when I go to cairns! It's such a lovely atmosphere to be in.

• 24th Sep 2014

Deposits have to be left for cutlery,room key, even a mug if you want a tea or coffee. Think the hostel needs to be a bit more chilled out. You have to pay 5 dollar connection charge and then an extra 2 dollar per day for wifi which is a bit expensive plus you can only use it one 1 device. Didn't think the place had a great atmosphere. I wouldn't stay there again.

Hi, We completely understand the frustration at asking for deposits for what seems like absolutely everything! We wouldn't have to in a perfect world with unforgetful and decent people, but over the last few years we've had more complaints about cutlery being stolen or missing, and dirty mugs lying around. This is the only way that we don't have to charge extra for services. I'm also sorry you didn't enjoy the atmosphere. You were only here Monday and Tuesday, which are usually recovery days.

Bathrooms and Kitchen are superb. Girls only rooms are very large and spaces. Clean and affordable for anyone who is needing to save a few dollars. Iam not complaining because the staff are excellent. Friendly people. Approximately 7 minutes walk to the city centre and easy access to esplanade. There is free internet and of other mega goodies... I would recomend this place to anyone who wish to save a few dollars n is outgoing. Thanks

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Papua New Guinea

I spent 1 month in Asylum and it was a awesome time. I had a lot nof fun and the atmosphere was amazing. The reception guys are really helpful and friendliy. I also really liked the seperate beds and the public area is really chilled out!!

We had a great time. Staff are all lovely and go out of their way to be friendly. It's a very relaxed place, lots of people to chat to, heaps of communal space, lots of drinks and nights out going on but for a "party" hostel everyone was very respectful and we actually had some good night's sleep. The pool is great and so is the no bunk beds thing! Would stay there again definitely, cheap, comfortable, lots of fun and nice people.

• 20th Aug 2014

Lots of fun at this hostel not loud at silly times. Party every Thursday cheap all you can eat BBQ Sunday

Asylum is the most appropriate name for it. It recalls a refugee camp, very essential. I wasn't seeing a paper guest register since the 90's! Acceptable kitchen and good amenities but very poor rooms, clean beds. It's 15 min walk from the lagoon. Feels like staying in a occupied house, so you may like it or not. But the price is unbeatable so you get what you pay for. if you're looking for a long cheap stay go for it, for a short stay i suggest spend a few more and get a better place in center.

• 14th Aug 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the BBQ was a real bonus

Really friendly staff. Good atmosphere. Good value for money. If i come back to cairns. Definitely choose asylum again!

Such an amazing atmosphere (both by design and by chance) that I extended my stay! The moment I walked in, everyone welcomed me, and the whole place was super friendly. The staff was also so wonderful and accommodating! Not the cleanest place I've been, but I would still go back, and definitely recommend it to others. Thanks, Asulym!

Asylum is amazing. There's no curfew in the main area and the wifi is really fast. Everyone is friendly including the staff. There's plenty of CCTV and a there's a free safe if you need to use it. Amenities wise, the kitchen is massive so it's good for cooking to save on food costs. I planned on staying for 3 days n I've been here almost 2 weeks! Haha.

• 30th Jul 2014

Exactly what a party hostel should be. Everyone friendly with the staff being hilarious. The pants down party was great value for money and a lot of fun. Would only stay here if you don't mind drinking most days though

I really didn't like Asylum. Everything cost extra or required a deposit, including kitchen crockery. They are trying to force a community atmosphere to the extent that they turn off the internet during their 'pants down party' on a Thursday night. In all I just found this forced fun annoying. It's a shame, because I might well have joined in had it not been pushed upon me.

Hi Claire, We apologise for feeling forced into anything. We only nudge you to join as we genuinely feel you'll have fun. Wifi is turned off so our loyal guests don't feel they're missing out by going out with us. Deposits for kitchen items & cups were only reluctantly put in this year after many years of complaints of dirty/missing utensils. We know deposits are awkward, but this is the only way we can give service without extra charges; if you've a better way, you are welcome to suggest it!

You pay what you get! I booked a female 5 bed dorm and for some reason they upgraded me to a 3 bed dorm, which I had all to myself half of my time. The first night the window was broken and the room was really cold, but they fixed it the next day! I was a bit worried about it being a party hostel, but my room was quiet and I had some good night sleep there! I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to everyone who wants budget accomodation in Cairns.

Loved my stay found it so hard to leave! Great value for money love the endless cups of tea available. It's a shame the kitchen closes so early though.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Portugal

Cool staff !!

• 9th Jul 2014

I LOVED staying at Asylum! The rooms were basic and the kitchen was a little messy but you pay for the atmosphere and the people. I originally booked in for 2 nights and ended up staying 3 weeks! The staff were super dooper friendly, only one was a bit too strict. Still had an amazing time though and would fully recommend staying there!

• 1st Jul 2014