Asylum Cairns Reviews

149 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Great all you can eat barbi and such friendly staff ! Pretty clean and everyone is super helpful :D Great value !

• 29th Nov 2015

Hostel with a very lovely atmosphere, theres no way that you don't feel comfortable here! Because of the weekly bbq and "pants down party" it's the easiest thing to meet new people and have a good time. Also the team (especially Joe and Alex) is the best you can have! I'm happy to stay here and for sure after about 2 month of living here it'll feel a little bit like leaving home

• 23rd Nov 2015

Good place and very nice staff. As I already told them, I just didn't like to feel pushed to join the parties. I think it's a good idea to organize parties for people who want to join, but if someone doesn't feel like going, It's unfair that in those days they don't allow to do use any of the facilities, closing the kitchen at 6pm, and turning wifi off.

Such a lovely hostel, great athmosphere, happy staff and nice, laidback people! Love it.

this backpacker claims to be a relax and friendly place but the staff is actually overly strict on pointless "rules": -we could not access the kitchen to only grab our food 2mn after closing even if staff was inside, -we got charged an extra 5$ to access the common room after check out because we forgot a sweater, -they charged us 3 times the extra 4$ one night fee because they weren't consecutive, -etc...

Do NOT stay here!! Although very cheap, not worth the hassle! They don't accept card payments, this is the 20th century!!!! Reception was so slow and painful!! It took so long that the kitchen closed and couldn't make dinner!!! We only wanted 1 key they demanded we took 2! You have to give a deposit for plates etc, but you can't just get a plate, you have to get a whole set!! Spent too much time waiting for reception to deal with you! Just a a whole waste off time, would not recommend it!!!

We apologise for our kitchen hours not being communicated. In response we're working to let all new guests know its opening hours, as well as details about hostel facilities (such as plate deposits). As a security measure we charge security (not "key") deposits for each guest regardless of whether they take a key. We can hold one key for you, but you'd still have to pay a deposit per person. We eschew with card payments so as to avoid bank fees and extra costs that would be passed to our guests.

I couldn't have hoped for a better stay, better staff and better friends! Thank you so much!

• 31st Oct 2015

Awesome hostel. Super friendly, good vibe, clean, would def recommend to my friends. Thanks!

• 26th Oct 2015

Thank you!! We had a blast having you here!

Very friendl and a good place to meet new people!

• 26th Oct 2015

This is a party hostel with dirty people. The staff was friendly. It's the farthest hostel from the reef terminal. They have free WiFi which is always a plus. It's a cheap hostel.

We're sorry you didn't find the place up to your liking. Yes we are a party hostel which sometimes has guests doing things a little out of the ordinary! It is true that the propertyis old, which can occasionally render futile even the most concerted of cleaning efforts. You'll find however that there are at least 5 hostels (off the top of my head) further away than the 10min walk from Asylum. Regardless, we hope you found something more suitable to your tastes and wish you well on your travels!

I really had a wonderful stay at Asylum. The first moment when I came in the Hostel made me feel very happy, because they turned on a song which is related to my last name. So I felt very welcome from the beginning and that didn't change. There is such a good atmosphere and everybody is so nice and relaxed. And sometimes they organize nice parties or bbq's. It's the best hostel where I've been so far and it's so cheap! I wanted to stay only 3 nights but a week later I'm still there!

• 12th Sep 2015

We was a bit weary at first, that's completely normal. It was by far the most friendly hostle i have ever stayed in! Everyone was so lovely. Something to do and people to talk to anytime of day/night. 10 min walk from the city centre and lagoon. A massive lounge area and communial bit to socialise. The staff were amazing and so so helpful !!! I would 10000000% stay here again. Excellent value for money.

• 25th Aug 2015