Asylum Cairns Reviews

149 Grafton Street, Cairns, Australia

Asylum is the most appropriate name for it. It recalls a refugee camp, very essential. I wasn't seeing a paper guest register since the 90's! Acceptable kitchen and good amenities but very poor rooms, clean beds. It's 15 min walk from the lagoon. Feels like staying in a occupied house, so you may like it or not. But the price is unbeatable so you get what you pay for. if you're looking for a long cheap stay go for it, for a short stay i suggest spend a few more and get a better place in center.

• 14th Aug 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the BBQ was a real bonus

Really friendly staff. Good atmosphere. Good value for money. If i come back to cairns. Definitely choose asylum again!

Such an amazing atmosphere (both by design and by chance) that I extended my stay! The moment I walked in, everyone welcomed me, and the whole place was super friendly. The staff was also so wonderful and accommodating! Not the cleanest place I've been, but I would still go back, and definitely recommend it to others. Thanks, Asulym!

Asylum is amazing. There's no curfew in the main area and the wifi is really fast. Everyone is friendly including the staff. There's plenty of CCTV and a there's a free safe if you need to use it. Amenities wise, the kitchen is massive so it's good for cooking to save on food costs. I planned on staying for 3 days n I've been here almost 2 weeks! Haha.

• 30th Jul 2014

Exactly what a party hostel should be. Everyone friendly with the staff being hilarious. The pants down party was great value for money and a lot of fun. Would only stay here if you don't mind drinking most days though

I really didn't like Asylum. Everything cost extra or required a deposit, including kitchen crockery. They are trying to force a community atmosphere to the extent that they turn off the internet during their 'pants down party' on a Thursday night. In all I just found this forced fun annoying. It's a shame, because I might well have joined in had it not been pushed upon me.

Hi Claire, We apologise for feeling forced into anything. We only nudge you to join as we genuinely feel you'll have fun. Wifi is turned off so our loyal guests don't feel they're missing out by going out with us. Deposits for kitchen items & cups were only reluctantly put in this year after many years of complaints of dirty/missing utensils. We know deposits are awkward, but this is the only way we can give service without extra charges; if you've a better way, you are welcome to suggest it!

You pay what you get! I booked a female 5 bed dorm and for some reason they upgraded me to a 3 bed dorm, which I had all to myself half of my time. The first night the window was broken and the room was really cold, but they fixed it the next day! I was a bit worried about it being a party hostel, but my room was quiet and I had some good night sleep there! I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to everyone who wants budget accomodation in Cairns.

Loved my stay found it so hard to leave! Great value for money love the endless cups of tea available. It's a shame the kitchen closes so early though.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Portugal

Cool staff !!

• 9th Jul 2014

I LOVED staying at Asylum! The rooms were basic and the kitchen was a little messy but you pay for the atmosphere and the people. I originally booked in for 2 nights and ended up staying 3 weeks! The staff were super dooper friendly, only one was a bit too strict. Still had an amazing time though and would fully recommend staying there!

• 1st Jul 2014

Nice and very helpful happy staff, fun loving non-commercial vibe, great relaxed atmosphere . And yes, the building is old and not everything is hospital clean, but hey, you cannot expect 5 star luxury with these cheap rates :)

• 1st Jul 2014

There's no lockers in the room and the kitchen needs new equipment!

This hostel had decent ratings; I don't understand. People partied EVERY night until the wee hours of the morning. Loud music, shouting, banging of metallic things. And the mattresses were horrendous. But at least they gave us clean sheets (which has a 4$ charge if you only stay one night). The facilities were broken down, dirty, and unlocked... common things like lights, locks, doors, were broken. Kitchen is locked after 8pm. Overall: terrible stay, but super cheap with hidden costs.

1 2 Next » last »