Asylum Sydney Backpackers Hostel

7.4
Very Good 1161 Total Reviews

3rd Aug 2017
7.7

Asylum was great for my purposes in that it was an affordable place to stay for the 5 days I was in Sydney. The staff was great and the location was central and convenient, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're a light sleeper or particular about the bathroom situation (lots of missing faucets and shower curtains, hit or miss hot water, stuff like that). However, I'm not really fussy with that sort of thing so I had a good stay.

2nd Aug 2017

Couldn't be a better option if you are on budget. I was just there for 2 nights though but I started feeling as if It's my home,most people were on work and holiday visa all of them were busy with their work . The place was good , kitchen small but efficient. A shoutout to Ris ( don't know if I spelled it right) the guy managing the hostel. Had a nice time in Sydney overall.

• England, Couple, 18-24
20th Jul 2017
7.7

Nice enough hostel in a decent location close to Kings Cross - just felt a bit cluttered and untidy... The free BBQ on Saturday and free breakfast was nice, and the hostel dog, Bella was lovely.

• England, Male, 18-24
14th Jul 2017
4.3

The Hostel is in poor condition and the rooms are very dirty. The free internet provided was barely strong enough to connect to, and the 'continental' breakfast provided was an opened door into a kitchen were you could prepare your own toast. I ended up leaving after my first night as I couldn't stay any longer due to the loud pubs outside the hostel all night long followed by the sound of loud garbage trucks using the road in the morning.

Hi there, We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay despite the upgrade to the 6-bed mixed dorm from the 8-bed dorm you booked. The rooms are cleaned every day and tidied every week but we unfortunately have little control over the organisation habits of roommates! We have addressed this situation by recently installing large storage lockers in the room, so there will be less clutter. We provide cereal, milk, toast and spreads in the kitchen everyday from 7-10am. We are very open to suggestions on how to improve this while keeping nightly rates low, and welcome your contact on this matter. Garbage trucks service areas all over town in the morning due to Sydney's busy lifestyle. We have managed to have them avoid our area at uncivilised hours of the morning, but they have a large amount of work to do and it is not practical for them to come much later than 8 or 9am. There is not much we can do about the busy pubs in town, but Kings Cross is infamous for its nightlife, especially on weekend nights like the one you booked on! We appreciate your feedback, and are acting on fixing the objects of your complaints so we can give guests the best experience in Sydney. We wish you well on the rest of your travels!

• ehgkr123453548
  • South Korea, Male, 25-30
10th Jul 2017

Here is the best hostel place what I've ever stayed in Sydney. Soooo nice clean room and toilets, and everything is good

• Italy, Female, 18-24
6th Jul 2017
4.0

Even if the staff is trying to improve their service, the hostel was overall disappointing. The number of bathroom (shared between male and female) is too low if it is compared with the number of people. Consequently the bathrooms are always dirty. We never used the living spaces because they were too dirty. The kitchen is small but with a lot of facilities. The main problem of the hostel is the no respect of the rules. Anyway the staff is helpful and always available.

Hi there, Thank you for your pleasant patronage and your honest feedback! We are stepping up the attention that we pay to the bathrooms' cleanliness, and planning renovations that will allow more access to those facilities. We are also planning an expansion of the kitchen area. We have realised that certain guests leave the areas in a less than desirable state, and have dealt with them, some of them have left the hostel at our request. We're happy to have been helpful and at your service throughout your stay. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels and wish you keeping safe!

• USA, Male, 25-30
5th Jul 2017

I really like this hotel a lot. One of my favorites that I have stayed in, in Australia. The first thing I noticed when I arrived was how friendly the staff was. It is located within a few minutes walk of Kings cross train station, a grocery store, atm, library, and many shops. The atmosphere here feels homie. Its laid back, relaxed, and fun. The owner and staff care about this place and they continue to improve it every day. Oh, free BBQ on the weekend!

• England, Female, 18-24
30th Jun 2017

Good peaceful quiet very clean.

• angr
  • Mexico, Female, 18-24
15th Jun 2017
8.0

Perfect location, the only con is that is not clean. Beds and instalations are old. Worthy if you're travelling on a budget.

• Belgium, Female, 18-24
14th Jun 2017
2.0

This hostel is the worst I've been in Australia. Please don't believe the feedback. People are paid for put good ones. They never clean and sheets/blankets are dirty. The moquette is so dirty, you can't say the original colour.

Hi Thank you for your feedback on your stay! Our reviews are all from verified, happy guests and many have gone on to extend their stay with us. We have never paid people to write reviews, as there are harsh penalties for doing so. The hostel came under new management in the middle of your stay, and changes were immediately made to deal with the conditions you speak of. We ensure newly-made beds with clean sheets for all our checked-in guests, and offer a free change of linen every 7 nights. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities in the hostel – during your stay we started ensuring that all bathrooms were clean throughout the whole day, and that rooms were cleaned daily, with regular inspections during the day. We conducted a deep carpet clean, and emptied the fridge in your room, which we found greatly impacted the cleanliness of your room. We have had positive feedback on the changes that have been made, and are still devising more ways to make the most enjoyable hostel experience in Sydney. We wish you well and safety on the rest of your travels! Cheers, Eugin & Joe