Asylum Sydney Reviews

201-203 Brougham St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

The staff are very friendly and helpful if you need information on how to get to certain places. The manager guy is very friendly and informative always says hello and actually remembers my name. The vibe in the hostel is very friendly. It's a bit out of the way of the centre of the city but train station 2 sec walk grab the underground or can even walk just about 20/30 min walk but area is pretty cool lots of backpackers.

Too noisy at night... People are chatting around the room and music..

Room was humid and smelly, a bug crawled into my suitcase when I was leaving.

Asylum is good sociable place. Good kitchen common room with computers and big TV little backyard with BBQ. Rooms are ok. For wifi you have to pay and it wasn't working in my room. But otherwise is good place to stay.

I stayed in Asylum twice this month and I had booked a single room for both of the times. The staff was so nice that they upgraded me for double room for both of the times coz it was available. The hostel dog was really cute and free breakfast is always a bonus. The hostel is slightly scruffy and the carpet in the room was a bit smelly but all in all it was worth the money.

Super friendly staff, the view is awesome and the location is great. The manager is really helpful and absolutely brilliant if u get his humor. Would recommend it to anyone any time. Thumbs up :)

• 27th Jan 2015

very nice staff. old building.

• 22nd Jan 2015

It's a very nice hostel to stay in sydney. Everything is clean and I had a awesome view over sydney. The staff is very friendly and the bbq was awesome! Everytime again!

• 15th Jan 2015

This is the dirtiest hostel I stayed in: cockroaches in the rooms (my roommate found one in her suitcase), stinky common room with ripped off couches. The worst experience I have had over my month long stay in hostels in Australia.

Thank you for your review Marianne We have recently been treated for cockroaches and the problem seems to be solved. The one older couch in the common room has been replaced with brand new this week. Our apologies for a cockroach, but we work very hard to keep our bathrooms, kitchen and rooms clean, as written in most of our reviews. Regards, Team Asylum

The staff is friendly and the bathrooms are clean generally. There is a large table outside to eat, which is significant. I booked for a 6 bed room but they put me in a 8 bed room (I realized it after my stay). It was a mess in the room, someone left slamming the door several times in the middle of the night !! Fortunately everyone is not as disrespectful... The kitchen is small compared to the number of people.

• 2nd Jan 2015

I had a pretty great stay here. Awesome crowd, great times. That said, while staff is great on the whole, there were a few issues... there was no all-hostel communication, so we had no idea about an all-hostel BBQ or New Year's plans (which they said they were running), etc. The employees other than the owner are totally lost, they put me in the wrong room for example. Finally, the staff, while super nice, are quite old, weird, and don't really fit in, but they hang out and its a bit awkward.

The place was dingy and generally pretty cheap. Good value for money but it's not a place we'd choose to stay at again.

Thanks for choosing the Mighty Asylum Hostel Nicolas. You chose not to socialise with any of our guests or indulge in our free Christmas day 3 course meal and free beers. Since we have very recently renovated we have concluded that your low score review is more of a personal issue rather than the hostel itself. Thanks again for your comments as we are constantly trying to improve our hostel. Team Asylum

Great little hostel to stay in. Staff were friendly and extra accommodating. Not super clean as the building is a bit older but still comfortable to stay in. Highly recommend this.

Location was excellent, it was right around the corner from a Tram Station and right next to a pub. Easy walk to main streets. I killed a cockroach every night I stayed there. Mold in the restrooms and the kitchen was filthy. Everyone there seemed to be long term. Staff was very friendly. It's a bit dirty but this is a hostel and served my purpose of needing a cheap place to sleep.

Just loved being here. Friendly and a great atmosphere!

Amazing staff, even better people. Everyone gets along and does their best to make you feel at home. Also helps they have a big screen tv with about 300 movies to choose from. The hostel itself is very dirty however and you're guaranteed to find a cockroach or 12 in your room.

• 1st Dec 2014

Thanks for staying with us at the Asylum, and for your comments, We clean the bathroom 4 times a day, rooms are cleaned everyday and the kitchen is constantly cleaned. yes their are cockroaches everywhere in Sydney, and we have been treated for them. We are coming to the end of full renovations so we apologize for any inconvenience caused by work being completed. Great to have met you and enjoy the rest of your adventure in Australia. Team Asylum

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel, the owner welcomed me very well, the bathrooms were clean, the BBQ is an excellent idea to gather people, I will definitely recommend this hostel to someone else.

The best hostel I've stayed in, in sydney. Great managment and staff. Really relaxed, friendly vibe. Will definitely return.

Nice and friendly staffs, cute dog Bella , everyone is nice to the new people~ And very close to the station! Last but not least ~ the toilet is very clean , just like they mentioned in the website! they do try their best! if u r looking for a hostel, u should really try this one! Bernie, from Taiwan

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Taiwan

awesome hostel with awesome people! this place has the best vibe, it's very clean and a great location on the cross without the noise of the main road. great communal areas to meet everyone and they have a gorgeous dog! seriously recommend staying here, best place in sydney!