Asylum Sydney Reviews

201-203 Brougham St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Pros: staff are friendly and location is very good. Cons: absolute dumpsite - room was disgusting and full of rubbish, no one ever seen to clean it, lots of long term stayers who are heard to break things at night (which was seen by staff but obv not reported to manager) and just treat the place like a tip. We made sure we spent our time there only to sleep/cook food. Very expensive for what you get. Needs a deep clean and renovate, not just the building but the people they keep!

Best hostel in sydney! Amazing people, Amazing staff and Amazing atmosphere. Has everything you need.

• 25th Jan 2016

This place was extremely unclean. There were heaps of cockroaches, the hostel smelt like urine because of the carpeting being clearly very old, and there were middle aged men seemingly living there due to the low cost. I would hate to end up in a mixed dorm as a female rooming with one of them. The entire time there I felt like my skin was crawling because it was so sketchy.

• 25th Jan 2016

Just stop looking and turn up.. The best hostel I've visited so far, every day and every night something is going on. Location is sound, right next to Kings Cross Station plus the supermarket and more importantly the liquor store! A real family feel to this hostel everybody is super friendly, the staff are awesome and soon enough you'll extend for longer...guaranteed!

• 21st Jan 2016

Very good value for money.

Great amazing management, great ambiance. I felt like home.

Such an awesome hostel! If youre looking for a hostel with a friendly vibe in the middle of the city this place is for you! The staff is amazing and the common areas are a great way to meet people! Will definitely be staying here again if i need a hostel!

• 12th Jan 2016

The owner was great, he was very accommodating for my last minute requests. The overall stay was pleasant and served its purpose. What needs the most attention was cleanliness, most importantly in the common areas. Our room was clean, but I still wouldnt stand barefoot in there - the carpet was dingy. Also wasnt a fan of having to keep my window cracked so that the hot water cord thing could run through. The bathrooms were very clean and I saw them being cleaned multiple times.

Really great hostel that feels homely, never leaving!

• 10th Jan 2016

Home from home very friendly and helpful staff . Good mix of ages .

Very Nice hostel. Awesome atmosphere. Lot's of fun people to hang out with and the staff is great. If you are traveling alone, this is the easiest hostel to meet new people. The rooms are good and worth the price. Very nice area outside where you can chill. Almost every night you have the opportunity to go a night out, but if you don't want to, you can easily relax in the common room where there is a nice tv with netflix. Don't forget the beautiful hostel dog Bella :) Cheers!

• 6th Jan 2016

The staff was helpful and friendly. Very nice and cosy feeling. Unfortunately the room was very hot even 2 fans.

Thanks for staying and for us to be able make you feel at home and keep it clean, especially after our super busy period. Lovely to meet you. Team Asylum

A little bit rough around the edges but it's liveable. Nice outdoor area and was treated to bbq and beers whilst I was there

Staff are great and welcoming, so is everybody staying there, such a good atmosphere around the place, best one I've been to.. Only a small hostel so facilities are limited. Security was poor, no lockers, no lock on the dorm room. Cleanliness was slacking but if you don't mind that then this is the place to go, all day good vibes around the place.

Thanks for staying for our Xmas Nye time. it was alot of fun and great people. one tiny note, there is a lock on your dorm room but we had it set on unlocked as previous guests had lost keys which we were unable to relace during the holiday season. Thanks again from all at Team Asylum

So many things to say about this hostel. Loved my stay, would recommend it to anyone looking for a good time. Many long term stayers but they went out of their way to make me feel included into their 'family' and enjoyed many nights out together. Definitely a party hostel and located perfectly in King's Cross just around the train station. Yes, facilities are a little older, but I didn't have any issues. There was always some staff member cleaning during the day from what I'd seen.

I hate to say anything bad about this place since the staff are truly wonderful people and the sole reason travelers stay here. But in my 13+ years of traveling to 30+ countries and staying in literally dozens and dozens of hostels, this place is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. It's run down, the rooms are disgusting (mostly due to the Neanderthals who stay there), the carpets are dirty, and you will be attacked by cockroaches the size of a small lap dog while sleeping.

When we read this review myself and my receptionist actually laughed!! Because it is just so far from the truth. I will leave our other reviews, mainly in regards to our unique atmosphere, to speak for themselfs. By the way all your room mates were happy when you left as they found you rude, arrogant and annoying. Happy New Year !

Stayed in Assylum for a few nights over Christmas. Had the best time! Would definitely visit again. Thank you!

• 23rd Dec 2015

Thank you !! and you are very welcome, we enjoyed having you here, and yes it was the best time, would love to see you again. The Asylum team.

Great hostel, good location and nice people. Free Christmas dinner and food on new years day, we had a lot of fun!

Thanks for enjoying our Christmas time hospitality and fun vibes, and you guys are still here and booked for even longer. Good times from Katrina, Antony and Bella the genius dog at Team Asylum.

Stayed here over Christmas and New Year. The staff were really friendly and welcoming. The room was a good size and had a balcony which was great. There was lots going on in the hostel which was great. Hostel was really near Kings Cross station- really easy to get to Bondi or into the city.

Thank you and we enjoyed having you here. Part of the Team Asylums job is to ensure that thier are planned nights out including free drinks so the all the guests have the best time. Cheers Team Asylum

Good lively hostel in good area, 2 min walk to train station and various bars ! Had a great time here

• 22nd Dec 2015