Asylum Sydney Reviews

201-203 Brougham St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Very helpful staff. Decent rooms and services offered. Have to work out the tideness and the organising of tasks. The outside view of the building is rather awful.

GOOD; outside bbq area and common area. Close to the gardens and city and nice pubs. Bit of a party hostel if you want to.Really detailed and good usefull information on arrival BAD; filthy. Not really sure if the beds were changed before we arrived. The kitchen is pretty dirty. Thankfully there were other guests that were noce.

Thanks, You and your girlfriend can rest assured that the beds were made,with clean sheets. I made them myself. New Linen is purchased to keep up with wear and tear so nothing was "filthy". But you did fail to mention the free upgrade to a private room. The Kitchen is clean, but not all your fellow backpackers have the same high standard as our staff and cleaners, therefore during busy times we monitor the kitchen constantly. Thanks for enjoying your weekend with us. Asylum management

The Asylum is aptly named. You`ve got the young and rowdy party folk and the long-term stayers. If you fall into one of these groups you might like it there. Otherwise probably not. Kitchen a little small. WiFi weak and $1 extra. Nice dog. Good location. Toilets and showers cleaned regularly but the floor in my room hasn't been vacuumed in a very long time.

Had an amazing stay at Asylum!! Great place to meet people, the staff are fantastic and go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay. My favourite thing about Asylum was the social atmosphere, was immediately welcomed Into the family by short term and long term guests, stayed in the highest room and was amazed by the view. There are some much more expensive hotels that don't boast a view like that. amazing value for money, whether you are looking to chill out or party your ass off!

Roomates could have kept the rooms clean and organised.

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

Great place, great people. One of the best places I've stayed in a long while.

• 24th Jun 2015

Overall, it was fine. The staff was nice but disorganized. No one was at reception when I arrived, nor answered the doorbell; the reception desk is closed from 12-5 pm, but this was not indicated on my emailed confirmation or on the outside door. They also had not noted my changed reservation and consequently overcharged me (crediting only half the prepaid deposit), though I didn't do the math till after checkout. But overall it was clean, secure, a fine place to sleep, and a good location.

Asylum is great! I wasn't planning on staying that long but got stuck again (same thing happened in Asylum Cairns). Anyway, the atmosphere is great, you feel at home very quickly. Facilities are good, I was in the girl dorm, it had it's own fridge, bathroom, terras.. I had an awesome stay and If I ever find my way back to Sydney, this is where I'm staying!

Like being from home from! Staff are great and have meet so many great people! Awsome atosphere! Asylum all the way x

• 21st May 2015

Cool hostel! Liked the people! Felt welcome the moment I arrived. Had a late arrival but the manager stayed up till I arrived. (At the end I arrived stipt on time). Location is perfect, 50m from the Coles/train/bus/gym and shops. If you're lucky you even got a room with view on Sydney skyline! Would highly recommend this hostel if you are visiting for a few days or as a working mate. People who are afraid to get disturbed by partying backpackers, no worries you won't hear them!

• 14th May 2015

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with an amazing view over the city. There are two PCs with free internet access that you can use 24/7. It's a chilled atmosphere compared to other hostels in Kings Cross. Free Breakfast is always helping with the budget. Unfortunately Wifi costs extra which is the only thing i can complain about though. I can recommend this hostel and would definetly stay here again.

• 13th May 2015

The hostel was just for backpackers working in Sydney and seem like they had been there for a while so it was very clicky, as a new person nobody really wanted to talk to you. The room I stayed in was just used as if it were people's personal bedrooms dirty clothes and food left everywhere!! It looks really run down and very unattractive especially for the money you pay! Plus side in a nice location.

Hi. We are sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. However, for $27.00 per night in a room with million dollar views, that is not as dirty as you mention, we feel we charge a fair price. The meeting of people, the social part of staying in hostels is sometimes the most important - it is unfortunate you found it hard to meet new people but the socialising, partying, fun but yet homely feel to Asylum Sydney is reflected in most of our reviews by other customers. Enjoy Australia!

I stayed for 1 week and had an amazing experience! The kitchen is kept very clean by the staff and is well stocked with dishes and cookware. The rooms are tidy and spacious. I especially Iiked how friendly welcoming every one at the hostel is. There are a good amount of long-term guests who are all so great and make you feel right at home and part of the family. There is great common area with a TV and BBQ area in the back. Will definitely going back!

• 3rd May 2015

Great hostel, really helpful staff, great rates, very nice chilled out vibe jn communal areas, much more of a communal feel to some larger more expensive hostels. Great location to see sydney.

great people there, very friendly and helpful. the BBQ was delicious! good location with party central of Sydney: kings cross

what a awesome hostel! Thank so much I had great time being in Asylum.

Great balance of party and relaxed atmosphere. In a great location right next to an Irish-themed pub called O'Malley's, a decent pizza stop, and jazz bar across the road. Supermarkets and train station are just a couple of minutes walk up the lane. It's in Kings Cross, but the town has quietened down a lot since new club closing time laws. As a result it feels a lot safer! I got a room with a pretty impressive view of the skyline, just able to see the Sydney Operahouse and Harbour Bridge!!

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Japan

Location is great. Train station is 2 min, bunch of food just one block, laundry is easy and pretty cheap. Friendly stuff.

The staff here are all fantastic, warm, & welcoming. They have good advice on what to do & where to go. Even though most people seem to be long-term residents, they are still talkative and friendly with newcomers. The wifi leaves something to be desired, but that's AU in general. Asylum is near King's Cross station and only a 30minute walk from places like The Rocks/Circular Quay, Chinatown, or Oxford Street. The kitchen is nice, big & the rooms are clean. The free breakfast is appreciated, too!

The staff and the place was great!