Asylum Sydney Reviews

201-203 Brougham St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

If you go to the Asylum, you -will find yourself in a great location to explore the city -will probably meet great people -will also be disgusted by the facilities(bathroom etc) and how messy/dirty everything is -will notice that the staff does not seem to care about anything at all -will see that too many things do not work properly for the fact that you have paid for it for everything to be perfect... (Internet, showers,...)

• 24th Aug 2015
  • Austria

I enjoyed the friendly feel from the staff. They were very welcoming. Anthony and the rest of the staff was extremely helpful in directing us around Sydney and making us feel at home. I would recommend this hostel to future guests.

• 8th Aug 2015

Owner was lovely, very welcoming and happy to help. The bathrooms were clean (make sure you take your own soap!), rooms could be a little cleaner. Beds were comfy but noisy. Great bunch of people who were staying there. Location was perfect for us, 10 min walk into the city and right around the corner from Kings Cross bars and clubs. Would recommend this place if you are on a budget. All up, great weekend!

Great view of my room! Nice place and atmosphere! I had great days there. I recommend for y'all!

Asylum is a very lively hostel in the heart of Sydney, and really sucks you into it's family vibe. I enjoyed my stay here, I'd recommend it to anyone on holiday in sydney for a bit whether you want to sightsee or have a few days partying. I might not recommend it if you want somewhere to stay long term and work, because you might not ever leave and there's a lot to get out and see.

• 15th Jul 2015

Excellent staff,Antony is a great guy and extremely helpful.He actually cares for his inmates and is not just into making money.Amazing environment and facilities.Breakfast is provided and you can cook your own food since they provide everything ,from pots and pans to toaster and microwave!! The dorms and bathrooms are kept very clean and tidy.Antony actually maintains high standards for cleanliness in the hostel.Had a fabulous time.Will recommend to anybody who wants to meet awesome people.

• 13th Jul 2015
  • India

Very helpful staff. Decent rooms and services offered. Have to work out the tideness and the organising of tasks. The outside view of the building is rather awful.

GOOD; outside bbq area and common area. Close to the gardens and city and nice pubs. Bit of a party hostel if you want to.Really detailed and good usefull information on arrival BAD; filthy. Not really sure if the beds were changed before we arrived. The kitchen is pretty dirty. Thankfully there were other guests that were noce.

Thanks, You and your girlfriend can rest assured that the beds were made,with clean sheets. I made them myself. New Linen is purchased to keep up with wear and tear so nothing was "filthy". But you did fail to mention the free upgrade to a private room. The Kitchen is clean, but not all your fellow backpackers have the same high standard as our staff and cleaners, therefore during busy times we monitor the kitchen constantly. Thanks for enjoying your weekend with us. Asylum management

The Asylum is aptly named. You`ve got the young and rowdy party folk and the long-term stayers. If you fall into one of these groups you might like it there. Otherwise probably not. Kitchen a little small. WiFi weak and $1 extra. Nice dog. Good location. Toilets and showers cleaned regularly but the floor in my room hasn't been vacuumed in a very long time.

Had an amazing stay at Asylum!! Great place to meet people, the staff are fantastic and go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay. My favourite thing about Asylum was the social atmosphere, was immediately welcomed Into the family by short term and long term guests, stayed in the highest room and was amazed by the view. There are some much more expensive hotels that don't boast a view like that. amazing value for money, whether you are looking to chill out or party your ass off!

Roomates could have kept the rooms clean and organised.

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

Great place, great people. One of the best places I've stayed in a long while.

• 24th Jun 2015

Overall, it was fine. The staff was nice but disorganized. No one was at reception when I arrived, nor answered the doorbell; the reception desk is closed from 12-5 pm, but this was not indicated on my emailed confirmation or on the outside door. They also had not noted my changed reservation and consequently overcharged me (crediting only half the prepaid deposit), though I didn't do the math till after checkout. But overall it was clean, secure, a fine place to sleep, and a good location.

Location was ok, staff were pleasant. The hostel is pretty shabby though. It was FREEZING! It wasn't the cleanest and there were loads of local Aussies/tradies staying there - not what I expected from a backpacker hostel. I would t stay here again.

Asylum is great! I wasn't planning on staying that long but got stuck again (same thing happened in Asylum Cairns). Anyway, the atmosphere is great, you feel at home very quickly. Facilities are good, I was in the girl dorm, it had it's own fridge, bathroom, terras.. I had an awesome stay and If I ever find my way back to Sydney, this is where I'm staying!

Like being from home from! Staff are great and have meet so many great people! Awsome atosphere! Asylum all the way x

• 21st May 2015

Cool hostel! Liked the people! Felt welcome the moment I arrived. Had a late arrival but the manager stayed up till I arrived. (At the end I arrived stipt on time). Location is perfect, 50m from the Coles/train/bus/gym and shops. If you're lucky you even got a room with view on Sydney skyline! Would highly recommend this hostel if you are visiting for a few days or as a working mate. People who are afraid to get disturbed by partying backpackers, no worries you won't hear them!

• 14th May 2015

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with an amazing view over the city. There are two PCs with free internet access that you can use 24/7. It's a chilled atmosphere compared to other hostels in Kings Cross. Free Breakfast is always helping with the budget. Unfortunately Wifi costs extra which is the only thing i can complain about though. I can recommend this hostel and would definetly stay here again.

• 13th May 2015

The hostel was just for backpackers working in Sydney and seem like they had been there for a while so it was very clicky, as a new person nobody really wanted to talk to you. The room I stayed in was just used as if it were people's personal bedrooms dirty clothes and food left everywhere!! It looks really run down and very unattractive especially for the money you pay! Plus side in a nice location.

Hi. We are sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. However, for $27.00 per night in a room with million dollar views, that is not as dirty as you mention, we feel we charge a fair price. The meeting of people, the social part of staying in hostels is sometimes the most important - it is unfortunate you found it hard to meet new people but the socialising, partying, fun but yet homely feel to Asylum Sydney is reflected in most of our reviews by other customers. Enjoy Australia!

I stayed for 1 week and had an amazing experience! The kitchen is kept very clean by the staff and is well stocked with dishes and cookware. The rooms are tidy and spacious. I especially Iiked how friendly welcoming every one at the hostel is. There are a good amount of long-term guests who are all so great and make you feel right at home and part of the family. There is great common area with a TV and BBQ area in the back. Will definitely going back!

• 3rd May 2015