Asylum Sydney Reviews

201-203 Brougham St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Cool hostel! Liked the people! Felt welcome the moment I arrived. Had a late arrival but the manager stayed up till I arrived. (At the end I arrived stipt on time). Location is perfect, 50m from the Coles/train/bus/gym and shops. If you're lucky you even got a room with view on Sydney skyline! Would highly recommend this hostel if you are visiting for a few days or as a working mate. People who are afraid to get disturbed by partying backpackers, no worries you won't hear them!

• 14th May 2015

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with an amazing view over the city. There are two PCs with free internet access that you can use 24/7. It's a chilled atmosphere compared to other hostels in Kings Cross. Free Breakfast is always helping with the budget. Unfortunately Wifi costs extra which is the only thing i can complain about though. I can recommend this hostel and would definetly stay here again.

• 13th May 2015

The hostel was just for backpackers working in Sydney and seem like they had been there for a while so it was very clicky, as a new person nobody really wanted to talk to you. The room I stayed in was just used as if it were people's personal bedrooms dirty clothes and food left everywhere!! It looks really run down and very unattractive especially for the money you pay! Plus side in a nice location.

Hi. We are sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. However, for $27.00 per night in a room with million dollar views, that is not as dirty as you mention, we feel we charge a fair price. The meeting of people, the social part of staying in hostels is sometimes the most important - it is unfortunate you found it hard to meet new people but the socialising, partying, fun but yet homely feel to Asylum Sydney is reflected in most of our reviews by other customers. Enjoy Australia!

I stayed for 1 week and had an amazing experience! The kitchen is kept very clean by the staff and is well stocked with dishes and cookware. The rooms are tidy and spacious. I especially Iiked how friendly welcoming every one at the hostel is. There are a good amount of long-term guests who are all so great and make you feel right at home and part of the family. There is great common area with a TV and BBQ area in the back. Will definitely going back!

• 3rd May 2015

Great hostel, really helpful staff, great rates, very nice chilled out vibe jn communal areas, much more of a communal feel to some larger more expensive hostels. Great location to see sydney.

great people there, very friendly and helpful. the BBQ was delicious! good location with party central of Sydney: kings cross

what a awesome hostel! Thank so much I had great time being in Asylum.

Great balance of party and relaxed atmosphere. In a great location right next to an Irish-themed pub called O'Malley's, a decent pizza stop, and jazz bar across the road. Supermarkets and train station are just a couple of minutes walk up the lane. It's in Kings Cross, but the town has quietened down a lot since new club closing time laws. As a result it feels a lot safer! I got a room with a pretty impressive view of the skyline, just able to see the Sydney Operahouse and Harbour Bridge!!

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Japan

Location is great. Train station is 2 min, bunch of food just one block, laundry is easy and pretty cheap. Friendly stuff.

The staff here are all fantastic, warm, & welcoming. They have good advice on what to do & where to go. Even though most people seem to be long-term residents, they are still talkative and friendly with newcomers. The wifi leaves something to be desired, but that's AU in general. Asylum is near King's Cross station and only a 30minute walk from places like The Rocks/Circular Quay, Chinatown, or Oxford Street. The kitchen is nice, big & the rooms are clean. The free breakfast is appreciated, too!

The staff and the place was great!

I am genuinely gutted to leave Asylum Sydney today! From day one, I was welcomed by staff and other guests and my 2-day stay very quickly turned into a full month! There is a great balance of long-term stays which gives the hostel a familial feeling, and short-term stays who inject new energy and galvanise everyone to go out! The location in Kings Cross is great and Antony the manager is meticulous with keeping the place clean and comfortable. Sad to leave my Asylum family!

• 25th Mar 2015

In the heart of Sydney but not really that clean. Some cockroaches were in my room. You have to pay for wifi 1 dollar each day. Atmosphere is nice. Nice and friendly staff that is showing you the way.

Great, homely hostel! Kings Cross is a cool neighborhood and it is only a short walk from CBD. Facilities were alright. Kitchen ok, great tv (a lot of movies and tv shows) and a backyard. No air con in the room made it a bit uncomfortable, but with a door facing the backyard, it was bearable. Cool and relaxed atmosphere, nice people. I felt it was mostly long termers. All in all; value for money:)

Asylum is located in kings kross, which is a wonderfull district in Sydney. The Kitchen was ok, not to packed. The outdoor facilities was great, they even have a hostel dog.. The rooms and showers were in general very unclean. In our room we found a couple of cockroaches. If you don't bother the cockroaches, it is a good place to stay!

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Norway

The location was great. The staff was very helpful and whenever I had a question or concern it was answered or looked into. The bathrooms were always clean when I used them. My only complaints are no air conditioning in my rooms and very poor wifi connection. I know its a expensive energy cost but charge extra or only put one in the single rooms upstairs and it would of made my summer stay so much more enjoyable. A stronger wifi router for higher level rooms would of been great.

• 2nd Mar 2015

Small friendly hostel, great atmosphere and staff

• 22nd Feb 2015

The staff are very friendly and helpful if you need information on how to get to certain places. The manager guy is very friendly and informative always says hello and actually remembers my name. The vibe in the hostel is very friendly. It's a bit out of the way of the centre of the city but train station 2 sec walk grab the underground or can even walk just about 20/30 min walk but area is pretty cool lots of backpackers.

Too noisy at night... People are chatting around the room and music..

Room was humid and smelly, a bug crawled into my suitcase when I was leaving.