Asylum Sydney Reviews

201-203 Brougham St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

what a awesome hostel! Thank so much I had great time being in Asylum.

Location is great. Train station is 2 min, bunch of food just one block, laundry is easy and pretty cheap. Friendly stuff.

The staff here are all fantastic, warm, & welcoming. They have good advice on what to do & where to go. Even though most people seem to be long-term residents, they are still talkative and friendly with newcomers. The wifi leaves something to be desired, but that's AU in general. Asylum is near King's Cross station and only a 30minute walk from places like The Rocks/Circular Quay, Chinatown, or Oxford Street. The kitchen is nice, big & the rooms are clean. The free breakfast is appreciated, too!

The staff and the place was great!

I am genuinely gutted to leave Asylum Sydney today! From day one, I was welcomed by staff and other guests and my 2-day stay very quickly turned into a full month! There is a great balance of long-term stays which gives the hostel a familial feeling, and short-term stays who inject new energy and galvanise everyone to go out! The location in Kings Cross is great and Antony the manager is meticulous with keeping the place clean and comfortable. Sad to leave my Asylum family!

• 25th Mar 2015

In the heart of Sydney but not really that clean. Some cockroaches were in my room. You have to pay for wifi 1 dollar each day. Atmosphere is nice. Nice and friendly staff that is showing you the way.

Great, homely hostel! Kings Cross is a cool neighborhood and it is only a short walk from CBD. Facilities were alright. Kitchen ok, great tv (a lot of movies and tv shows) and a backyard. No air con in the room made it a bit uncomfortable, but with a door facing the backyard, it was bearable. Cool and relaxed atmosphere, nice people. I felt it was mostly long termers. All in all; value for money:)

Asylum is located in kings kross, which is a wonderfull district in Sydney. The Kitchen was ok, not to packed. The outdoor facilities was great, they even have a hostel dog.. The rooms and showers were in general very unclean. In our room we found a couple of cockroaches. If you don't bother the cockroaches, it is a good place to stay!

• 18th Mar 2015
  • Norway

The location was great. The staff was very helpful and whenever I had a question or concern it was answered or looked into. The bathrooms were always clean when I used them. My only complaints are no air conditioning in my rooms and very poor wifi connection. I know its a expensive energy cost but charge extra or only put one in the single rooms upstairs and it would of made my summer stay so much more enjoyable. A stronger wifi router for higher level rooms would of been great.

• 2nd Mar 2015

Small friendly hostel, great atmosphere and staff

• 22nd Feb 2015

The staff are very friendly and helpful if you need information on how to get to certain places. The manager guy is very friendly and informative always says hello and actually remembers my name. The vibe in the hostel is very friendly. It's a bit out of the way of the centre of the city but train station 2 sec walk grab the underground or can even walk just about 20/30 min walk but area is pretty cool lots of backpackers.

Too noisy at night... People are chatting around the room and music..

Room was humid and smelly, a bug crawled into my suitcase when I was leaving.

I originally came to Asylum with a friend for 2 days... since then, it's been 7 weeks and I'm still here. The staff are great, the common room is fantastic and the vibe itself is one of the best I've experienced. It seems to attract a good type of backpacker/guest as there is always some to chill/drink/watch a movie with - and there is never a shortage of a good laugh. I couldn't recommend this hostel more, just watch out as you may get stuck here as so many of the guests have!

Asylum is good sociable place. Good kitchen common room with computers and big TV little backyard with BBQ. Rooms are ok. For wifi you have to pay and it wasn't working in my room. But otherwise is good place to stay.

I stayed in Asylum twice this month and I had booked a single room for both of the times. The staff was so nice that they upgraded me for double room for both of the times coz it was available. The hostel dog was really cute and free breakfast is always a bonus. The hostel is slightly scruffy and the carpet in the room was a bit smelly but all in all it was worth the money.

Super friendly staff, the view is awesome and the location is great. The manager is really helpful and absolutely brilliant if u get his humor. Would recommend it to anyone any time. Thumbs up :)

• 27th Jan 2015

very nice staff. old building.

• 22nd Jan 2015

It's a very nice hostel to stay in sydney. Everything is clean and I had a awesome view over sydney. The staff is very friendly and the bbq was awesome! Everytime again!

• 15th Jan 2015

This is the dirtiest hostel I stayed in: cockroaches in the rooms (my roommate found one in her suitcase), stinky common room with ripped off couches. The worst experience I have had over my month long stay in hostels in Australia.

Thank you for your review Marianne We have recently been treated for cockroaches and the problem seems to be solved. The one older couch in the common room has been replaced with brand new this week. Our apologies for a cockroach, but we work very hard to keep our bathrooms, kitchen and rooms clean, as written in most of our reviews. Regards, Team Asylum