Atawkama Hostel Reviews

Calle Fierro 534, Cusco, Peru

This was my second stay as I had felt very comfortable there the last time and the value for money is great. The staff remembered me, wanted to hear about my travels and were very helpful once again - what a friendly place! If I come back to Cusco, I will definitely chose this one again!

The staff are all super helpful and friendly, as a non Spanish speaker they were very helpful with sorting out issues I had with our bus tickets etc. The hostel has a very homely and relaxed feel. The beds are very comfortable and overall the hostel is extremely clean. It is great value for money. Highly recommend staying here!

• 13th Feb 2015

Nice place with very friendly staff! There were only single beds in the dorm, which was nice and enough blankets for the cold nights. As the hostel is in an old colonial building some of the doors are really low, so watch your head. Other than that, not much to complain here :)

The hostel is very nice, however quite a walk uphill from the Plaza de Armas. The facilities are kept very clean. There was absolutely no hot water all three times I needed to take a shower. We stayed in the very first room inside the hostel and were woken up all three nights because a guest was having to constantly ring the doorbell and bang on the locked door due to there being no staff person at the front desk. I had to find the staff person and wake them up to open the door.

This was a super place to stay because it wasn't in the centre where its noisy and crowded. I loved a quiet nights sleep in the cosy rooms, which had plenty of blankets to keep you warm and lovely cupboards and dressing tables to unpack if you wanted. The staff were super friendly and always helpful. Free storage and lockers was a bonus especially when doing Machu Picchu. The TV room was sociable and a great welcome after hiking the Inca trail for a few days. Breakfast was typical bread and jam.

The Staff was really friendly and helpful, finding the diferent tours. Also the beds were really confortable. Thanks a lot for everything

Good Hotel, clean, smal breakfirst, good rooms, helpfull stuff, safe, a bit long to walk in the center but okay

• 27th Dec 2014

Atawkama was great value -the rooms are cosy and clean, the breakfast is ok, there is good wifi and the hostel is very close to San Pedro market and a supermarket; there are also some very cheap and cheerful eateries around, and the Plaza des Armas is 10 minutes walk away. in the hostel there is also a really cosy communal lounge with a books exchange and films, and a lovely garden where hummingbirds pop in all the time. whatever you need, you just need to ask the friendly staff- they are fab!

• 18th Dec 2014

Staff and owner great. Carmen Jururo Sani who books tours atthe hostel through Trilogy Adventures was excellent and very helpful to me getting some things sorted.

Fairly comfortable room, but if you want to cook for yourself note that the kitchen is very small, so if several people want to cook you may have to wait a while.

Bathrooms are directly connected to the outdoors and can get very cold, especially for showers. Water takes a long time to heat up, but is hot. Wifi is essentially non-existent, but they have an 2 older computers in the common room.

• 3rd Dec 2014

Was a pretty cold evening when I arrived unfortunately there was no heat in the rooms.

• 10th Nov 2014

Good hostel. Good stay.

• 31st Oct 2014
  • Iraq

I can realy recommand that hostel.

• 31st Oct 2014

very pleasant and helpful staff! great location, we enjoyed that is was a 10 min walk from plaza de armas but close the san pedro market and san francisco catedral. overall was great experience.

The hot showers worked perfectly. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our double room was clean and tidy =) The internet was fine...

The hostel was really nice and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. But please think it twice before booking a tour to Machu Pichu from here. We paid 160$ and after we found out that you can do it on your own for 80-100$ The tour was quite crappy, and the meals included in the tour dont even include a drink.. So look around and do it on your own!! That´s the way the tourism works in Cusco. Apart from that the hostel was really nice!!

Very cold at night, bedroom doors don't lock, bathrooms outside. Good kitchen and outdoor area, staff weren't overly helpful.

great little hostel, not too far from the Plaza and the staff are so friendly!

Our major problem was that it wasn't very clean at all and the bathrooms were a free for all and not divided into ladies and gents. The hot water only worked in one of the showers and the rest were ice cold. The hostel lacked security, we left our backpacks when we went to Machu Picchu as they offered and when we can back to collect the room wasn't even locked and in the main communal area. Wouldn't recommend, many more better places to stay