Athens Backpackers Reviews

12 Makri Street, 11742 Athens, Athens, Greece

Great place to stay while in Athens! The staff and facilities are great, the rooftop bar always has plenty of people to meet and chat with during happy hour, the free walking tour put on by the hostel was one of the best that I've done. We had to keep switching rooms because the place was very busy. But overall we enpoyed it so much that moving from room to room was only a minor inconvenience.

• 21st May 2014

iT WAS GREAT - STAFF REALLY FRIENDLY AND THE ROOM WAS BIG AND WITH A GREAT VIEW. I ENJOYED THE SKYBAR AS WELL. Delia Vernes South Africa

• 21st May 2014
  • South Africa
  • Couple, 41+

Excellent location and very easy to find! Good stay!

Was with a group of 5 friends and we stayed in one of the apartments. Bathroom was tiny and got very wet with showering but the rest of the room was great. Really good location...everything you could need or want to see was nice and close and they had a sports bar and fish and chips shop down stairs. Great place to stay.

Everything was fine, just 2 rather small negative things: The Location of our room was not in the same building as was shown on this homepage, its like 10 minutes walking away. Secondly, at about 10:15am the cleaning personal became seriously stressful, we were still in the phase of packing up (checkout 10:30) but they were so into it to get the linen already. It would be better when they start cleaning at 10:30.

• 18th May 2014

LOCATION CANNOT BE BETTER!

this hostel is the most famous hostel in Athens. location is great. but that's all. I was disappointed. when I arrived there, they told me to stay another Athens backpackers hostel(apartment). another hostel is just 3mins so very close. but it is apartment. kitchen include in the room. it is impossible to cook something in the room. because they are another guest. if you want to cook something, it is better to go original Athens backpackers. and breakfast is very poor.

I had a great time staying there there was a big group that stayed there for a few days. Place may have been a bit different I think this was atypical and people use it for a short stay ahead of the islands. Staff were very friendly and I do like a hostel that organises things to bring people together.

The hostel is based in a perfect location right by the acropolis entrance! Amazing part of town, very pretty. Lots of places to see eat and drink! The hostel itself supplies a good breakfast, rooms are adequate. There is a great roof too bar view. Hostel needs to stop squeaking bunk beds, renew showers, staff need to be more openly welcome, communal area don't offer much. It is a expensive hostel which is relative to competition, but for the price it should be a lot better.

Everything was great, the staff very freindly with great suggestions when you ask them about the city. It's a bit pricey, but you get great facilities, mainly for hanging out with fellow travllers. All the main things I look for in hostels-hot water, keys for all guests, good beds... are present at all times. A bit more can be done on security - mainly have to possiblilty to buy or lease out a padlock for the lockers in the room and breakfast could be better, but those are my only complaints.

• 15th May 2014
  • Serbia

Great Hostel, Excellent Staff, Sweet Elevator

Really good hostel, a little more expensive than others in town but it's worth it for the excellent location, comfy beds and good facilities. An easy walk to Monastiraki square and the acropolis.

Staff were very informative. Showed us one of the absolute best authentic Greek restaurants! I'm still raving about the moussaka! Hostel needs an age limit though.

Great Location, attentive staff. Poor breakfast, no living room for socializing. Bar on terrace with nice view, but closes too early.

We had an amazing time here! The rooftop bar is an awesome place to meet new people and a great hang to hang out while gazing up at the acropolis! Bathrooms and dorms are cleaned daily and the staff is great!

Athens backpackers has a second building (Athens studios) that is two blocks away from the main hostel and does not have the rooftop bar or common room, this is where I was placed. Not a big deal, still a good room and access to the facilities, but it would I have been nice to be told in advance. Lockers were somewhat small and the ensuite bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. This being said AB is a fun hostel and a great place to meet people. I would stay there again.

The location is great. It is right by the new Acropolis Museum and the Acropolis itself. Quick and easy to the subway and bus for airport, port, etc. The hostel itself is very comfortable. I really enjoyed the rooftop bar. It closes kind of early though so get up there before it does. (11:30pm I think)

Great hostel! The location is so perfect. Rooftop terrace looking right t the Parthenon. Great staff makes it very fun and easy to be there!

We arrived late at night and left early in the following morning, so didnt really get to know the hostel well. The staff on duty was great - helpful, and check in was speedy. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean. Location is perfect, close to the Metro for an easy in and out of Athens.

Very good hostel, although a bit expensive. But the rooftop bar and the people you meet are simply amazing.