Athens International Youth Hostel - Victor Hugo Reviews

16 Victor Hugo, Athens, Greece

I got BED BUGS my first night. They were good about moving me and did do a thorough clean of my old room but gave no discount or sympathy towards the incredible pain that was caused by them. The kitchen is also filthy.

We arrived at 22:00 in the night (as we stated when making the reservation) but our room had already been given so they could'nt accommodate us in there. The man in reception just kept saying "Don't worry, don't worry" and sent us to another hostel in Plaka although Victor Hugo's location was far more convenient for us (we weren't in Athens to visit the old town). If you can, try to avoid this place.

Only two lockers in a 4 bed dorm worked, the area wasn't the best, you had to hold the shower head but cheap place if you don't mind.

l'auberge en elle même est correcte, rien d'exceptionnel, mais j'y ai rencontré plein de gens sympa donc j'aime bien cette expérience. the hostel is OK nothing special but I met a lot of cool people there so I really appreciated my stay.

For the price, the hostel is okay. There was no hot water during the day. They have only one key for the whole dorm, which it is not really convinience. Some lockers were broken. The bathrooms really need maintenance.

The bathroom was very dirty, there were no towels and the room was also very dirty. In my bed there were stuff from the previous person (the staff just left these stuff there, I think it was one lipstick and another makeup item). I paid a cheap price, so I think it's an ok hostel to sleep just one night.

The pictures that they show are Not of the place that we've rent. The structure is old and Poor. There aren't enough lockers for all the beds, and many of them are broken. The bathroom is like a public service. And the staff is not friendly at all. Wifi doesn't ever works. The guests Havea very unpleasant time in this type of places.

The hostel is about 15 minutes walking from downtown, a few blocks from a subway station. It is not the best, but not the worst. For the price, I think it is okay. The receptionists should be nicer and the rooms need to be cleaned more. The bathrooms really need maintenance. I stayed there twice. The second time, they had no place for me, even I had a reservation. He was really mint. Finally he said, he gave me a favor and put me with other guys who booked a private. They oversold the hostel.

I booked this hostel due the facility listed Airport transfer but there is no such ease! which caused me such troubles....

I spent a night in a couple's room and it was awful. Not clean at all, twin bed but one of them so bad that we slept in two in one single bed. Bathroom was so ugly that we consider sleep without take a shower the best option. Not recommend this hostel.

Very secure, clean and best value for money in Athens. Great staff and cheap breakfast with lots of choices. Dorm was clean however bathroom was a little average. Great stay overall though would highly recommend!

Cold showers, dingy place, dodgy location. No laundry service as advertised.

Friendly staff, rooms wernt overally big but big enough for a few nights stay, we only stayed one night but was perfect for us as we had a tour with med experience the next day which made it easy to meet up with them. Close to shops restaurants an bars

Unfortunately I think we were just unlucky with our room as it was not clean ( in particular floors) air con broken. Staff helpful enough and we asked for a new room which was accepted when they knew I was being serious about not being able to sleep in the sweat box. I know the location can't be helped but the location was shared with local junkies so do be careful of a night. If you have never been to this part of Athens before do think four or five times before booking.

There was ac and that is a plus in August. Not too centrally located, but you're close to the train station so it's easy to arrive with bags. Room was good - bathroom attached not great. Breakfast in the morning (though not included) was a good value and hearty.

The hostel was not so bad per se if not for the insects in the bathroom and the general lack of cleaning. Just next to a metro station and not so far away from the Acropolis the location is good but not the best if you're looking for safety (bad neighborhoods imho). That being said, if they cared a little more (or even just a little :/ ) about cleanliness I would recommend it to fellow backpackers.

Got yelled at for using the kitchen after it was 'closed' even though the only reason we did was because they had so many school children in there we never had a chance to cook our dinner. If you want to hang out with a bunch of extremely loud and obnoxious French school kids, this is the place to be, The rooms were at least clean so if you're on a budget then I recommend it , but if you plan to meet people, stay somewhere else.

We were only here overnight before going to the Islands. But was a good central location & easy walk to public transport

We stayed in the hostel for 3 nights: ir's very close to the metro station and in a few minutes you can be everywhere. The room was clean and people so kind. I recommend it ;)

• 21st Jul 2014

Lots of French classes stayed at the hostel and it was quite loud at night. Apart from that this is not the place to make friends, it's rather anonymous. The 4 bed dorms have an ensuite bathroom which isn't the most modern or cleanest. Beds are very squeaky, staff is nice though. Good stay for a few days if you don't mind being by yourself. You can't beat the price!