Athens International Youth Hostel - Victor Hugo Reviews

16 Victor Hugo, Athens, Greece

This Hostel is in a very low class area. I had to walk there at 1:30 AM (the metros do not run all night, despite what their directions may lead you to believe) from Syntagma square and I had to pass a lot of sketchy people. I was very relieved to arrive at the hostel for the night. There is only 1 key for the room, so if you arrive late, you may be waking up others to get in. KEEP THE WINDOW CLOSED TO MAKE THE AC WORK.

The hostel is nice enough for what you pay, but the beds are very uncomfortable. My bed was the uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. The springs were poking into me all night I hardly got any sleep. Might be time for an update!!

If you need decent place to stay on a budget stay here. The rooms are decent. The location is right by a metro station which is convenient. The WiFi is not great and the kitchen was disgustingly dirty when we were there.

This hostel was super clean. Our private room had good AC and a nice balcony. The location isn't great but it's near the metro stops and it doesn't take long to get to Plaka, etc. Atmosphere is pretty quiet and the staff is not super friendly but still helpful.

Un hostal muy sin mas. situacion perfecta pero con mal aspecto. Poco cuidado, viejo, sin ambiente... El personal aconseja bien.

bad wifi, dodgy neighbourhood but overall safe and good value for the price friendly staff

• 25th Jun 2015
  • Belgium

Good hostel about a 5-10 min walk from the nearest metro station, nice communal experience and the staff were great!

stay away

Pretty decent spot! Close to the metro and its a plus that the dorms are only 4 beds

• 15th Jun 2015

Mediocre hostel in average location. No atmosphere, gross bathrooms, and extremely hot rooms. Would recommend finding a different place to stay to friends.

Rooms were really good (got to see a private and a dorm), clean, nice beds etc. The kitchen was really dirty and internet was slow (good wifi however) the staff was helpful, but not really interested in any of the guests, I (we) would recommend this hostel to someone who wants too see Athens for a few days, since the location was good and the hostel is kind of cheap. If you're looking for a place to meet people, this is not the best hostel.

the room was great! clean and awesome. the staff isnt so great. a guy in the evening shift is very good and friendly. the lady in the morning shift very rude, or just plain racist coz she was smiling so happily towards other customers except us asians. she said we shud wait till 11, then at 11 we came she said NOO WAIT. NOT READY YET. i really dont appreciate her rudeness. then the area was pretty dodgy. the good thing is it was near to a metro station. the elevator was okays but pretty scary.

This hostel had a weird vibe. The staff were disinterested and quite rude. I was told someone else in my room had the key so I couldn't have one, which meant I had no control over whether the door was locked (whoever had it hung on to it and never locked the door). The set up of my bed meant my head was practically in the bathroom (which was gross). The neighbourhood felt quite unsafe. The only reason I stayed a second night was because I had a tour starting there in the morning.

The middle aged man was the worst host I've ever encountered!! However the women and elderly man also working the front were very nice. You can store your luggage when you need to travel during the day which helped a lot since I was leaving the following night. The light in our room went out, but the bathroom light was working, and when we brought up the issue with the man at the front he said it was a power failure...obviously that wasn't true since the outlets and other lights were working.

Good place to sleep, five minute walk to Omonia and ten to Monastiraki, and courteous staff. Demerits for the warehouse style atmosphere, difficult to meet people that aren't staying in your room, so would be best perhaps for small groups of travelers. Wifi usually worked well, clean, has a kitchen. Neighborhood is fine, don't listen to people who would tell you it's dodgy; just a bit worn is all.

Hostel directions are wrong which made finding this place a little hard but once found it is a short walk from the subway and only a 1.4km walk from central Athens. The area looks rough but it's okay. The hostel is really cheap compared to others closer to the acropolis. I really enjoyed my stay and it was really cheap and had great facilities. What more could you want from a hostel?

A very typical HI city hostel, big but quite well organized and excellent value for money....

You get what you pay for at this hostel, it's clean and the ensuite facilities are good, however the location is a little out of the way - super easy to get to by metro but not a good walk and the atmosphere is pretty weird, children and families who were always in the kitchen and common room so there wasn't a good place to hang out and it wasn't like a youth hostel. There also weren't enough pots/bowls etc in the kitchen if it ever was free.

In a sketchy area, but close to the metro station! Our room was quite dirty with little bugs everywhere. There were only two lockers for a 5 bed dorm. It was very cheap to stay here so you are paying for the price. The staff were very helpful though so they made the experience bearable!

• 28th May 2015

The toilet wasn't cleaned for three days after being pissed all over. The guy at the reception didn't care at all about the customers. The bathroom was stinking and the pipes were leaking. The rooms were too tight to move normally. I really can't recommend this Hostel.

• 26th May 2015