Auberge de la Paix Québec Reviews

31, Rue Couillard, Quebec, Canada

I had a great time when I stayed here. The staff were friendly and helpful. They were glad to provide all information to you. Although the door of room didn't have a lock, I felt safe. Yet, there is one thing you have to know - they don't have an elevator.

I only stayed a single night at the hostel, but the location was great! The beds were good, and they provided slippers to change into at the door. I had read other reviews about the showers and to prepare other visitors: you have to push the button for the shower water to come out. As in, if you want to wetten anything, you will have to continually hold that button down - it doesn't automatically stream for a few minutes. This can be difficult at times when trying to rinse!

The Staff is not so friendly, the beds are horribles, and the water is cold! The only goods things are the breakfast and the location..

Great location and nice staff. It is a bit troublesome to press the button for shower every 10-15 seconds.

great hostel. only downside was the showers had very poor pressure and they didn't always supply enough bread for breakfast to feed everyone.

I felt at home, it was lovely. Thank you for the nice stay, staff and environment.

• 14th Feb 2015

A basic hostel with what you need but not much more. Only security in the whole place are lockers in the room. Good location for the old city but wouldn't recommend visiting January (museums and even some stores and restaurants are closed... it's the time of year for renovations apparently).

Tip: Use 2nd floor shower:) Other shower buttons: press every 5 seconds; shiver while applying soap. Thin walls: noise travels. Morning wake with the sound of the shower button being pressed many times like a slow hammer. Uncomfortable mattresses, not terrible. Nice slipper-shoes provided for you. Dreadful coffee maker! BUT any inconvenience was out-shone by the excellent location. Safe, clean, tidy, satisfying, helpful. Cute. Excellent service. (But didn’t return my cash deposit.)

Amazing location in the middle of Quebec's old town. Hostel was quiet (middle of winter) so we were lucky and had a 6-bed dorm all to ourselves. Clean and bright but nothing fancy - sheets didn't quite fit on the bed properly, mattress was squeaky, breakfast (included) is basic toast and cereal. Overall a good choice.

I had a really nice stay at the Auberge de la Paix! The staff were super friendly and helpful, the dorms nice and the kitchen clean and well equipped. I wasn't a fan of the push button showers, but managed to find a regular shower on the 2nd floor.

Great hostel located right in downtown Quebec, really close to the main street and most of the attractions. The breakfast provided was actually way better than I expected. The owner was pretty welcoming and explained some useful stuffs if you wanna roam around the city. Will come back again if I get a chance to come back to Quebec

This is a nice hostel in a brilliant location. It is nothing flash but does the job.

The showers were insane. Haha I've never seen a place like this before. Every 10 seconds you had to push this button in very very hard in order to get water. The temp wasn't even adjustable.

We are sorry to reed that you had so much problem with our Hostel showers. Normaly they work pretty good. Since we have read your comments, we have made some changes to the showers hoping this will do the job. Thanx to let us know this situation and be sure that we're always trying to be better and better. Alain Laflamme General Manager

The beds were vinyl so the sheet wouldl not stay on and it was really uncomfortable. The showers are all push button and only stay on for 10 seconds which makes showering difficult. However there is a kitchen and the location is fantastic. This hostel is a bit pricey but for Quebec city you can't really expect cheaper. If they get better beds and warm the hostel up a little this would have been perfect

Wonderful staff, very friendly. Probably would not stay here again, however. Need to press button continuously to keep water flowing in shower, and overall has a very strong dorm vibe. Attracts groups of young kids traveling together as opposed to backpackers.

Location was great - we took the ferry over and it was a short walk, and then there were all kinds of great things to do within walking distance from the hostel as well. Staff was friendly and helpful - they let us leave my huge bag in the office for the day while we explored, even though we were checking out that morning. My only complaint would be that the beds were not super comfy, but for the one night we were there they did just fine.

• 7th Nov 2014