Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Although I realize that an economical operation is one of your priorities, my old bones would have appreciated a more comfortable mattress. I did sleep well, though. The staff at reception was very helpful and courteous. They had the airport shuttle at the door for me early a.m. Two minor complaints: the green light from the room smoke detector (?) was rather bright and I thought that it could have been shielded, and the drain in the sink (room 303) bubbled up when the next room used his sink.

• 13th Oct 2014

i've stayed here before, a few years ago, and I have to say time hasn't been kind to this place. The showers look aged and aren't practical for keeping your stuff dry while using them, the Internet is painfully slow, the breakfast is so basic that I'd much rather have them deduct the one or two euros it MIGHT cost so that I can go elsewhere and get something edible. The staff are nice, though, but they charge extra for absolutely every service.

• 12th Oct 2014
  • Norway

I'm not usually a hostel person but would happily recommend this place and stay there again.

• 9th Oct 2014

Whilst I'm very pro saving the environment, the solar powered showers weren't great. Might be worth having a backup for when it's wet and windy!

• 9th Oct 2014

To be honest I hardly slept due to the noise on the street.

• 8th Oct 2014

Worse hostel in my life. It is more like a hotel,4 floors,they got elevator,atmosphere is bad,stuff very unfriendly,they had cameras in every part ,you feel like in big brother house.. you must pay for lockers,breakfast is very very poor,. To be short and direct: don't go there if you want to hang out with guests,or you need any help from stuff.. Avalon house- never again

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Croatia

Great place to stay. We had a private room that was quite. Everything was walking distance for a short weekend stay.

• 4th Oct 2014

For a short stay Avalon hostel was great. Bit of a squeeze with the bathrooms, not enough showers for so many people and it gets dirty too quickly and should be cleaned twice a day... the Avalon Room was spacious and clean, overall the hostel was clean and the staff was really nice at the reception.

clean facilities and decent wifi friendly helpful staff good free brekki and alright location. Only downside was no locker in the room

Very informative staff, very happy to help! Kinda noisy tho, not much sound proofing, maybe? Otherwise lovely!! Thanks!

This was a very nice hostel with friendly staff attached to a cafe. Highly recommend.

They have an amazing staff. All well spoken and well behaved. Especially Katie and Lisa and few other guys ( i dont know their names). please convey the same to them. Thanks! Utsav

• 1st Oct 2014
  • India

This hostel would have gotten a way better review from me if not for a few problems. I liked that there were lockers (€2), and there was included breakfast, and the lounge area was very cool and comfy. But my ensuite bathroom was horrible. I couldn't wash my hair, there was absolutely no pressure and actually hardly any water coming out of the shower, it made the entire bathroom soaked. Loud pipes woke me up about 7 times, my shower was leaking REALLY bad. Plus walls are very very thin.

Room very very dirty (private room) hair on my bed, and smells bad ;( ! Noise all night from the tubes... Location is perfect and people are nice. Breakfast very poor.. and not nice.

• 30th Sep 2014
  • Portugal

I was impressed by the business like manner in which my stay was handled, from making the reservation to check in, etc. I enjoyed and appreciated the friendliness and cheerful helpfulness of the staff. Location is near perfect, value is great. I'm an older traveler and thoroughly enjoyed the energy and respect that was present at Avalon House. John Beutel

• 29th Sep 2014

No comments

• 28th Sep 2014
  • India

Perfect, i will do this again. Just two problems, the cards (the keys of the doors) don't really work, we have to try lots of time to open doors ^^. but that's not really a problem Then, we had a problem in our room because we were two and just one place (because one guy was on our bed), so the problem was fixed after.

• 28th Sep 2014

I liked the hostel very much except one thing - the type of bed linen - duvet covers were missing and only clean sheets were used!

I've stayed in quite a few hostels, this one not being one of the greatest. The location is decent.. quick walk to Temple Bar area. Staff was helpful but not overly friendly. We stayed in the 12 bed dorm which had a loft. Bathrooms were down the hall, a lot of shower stalls, and only one toilet. Clean though. We only stayed 1 night and I can't speak on how easily it would be to meet other travelers. Bed was comfortable. It's a decent hostel but nothing to rave about.

Very happy with my stay at Avalon House.

• 27th Sep 2014