Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

The smell in our room was horrible!! The bathroom was dirty and the toilet didn't flush properly! Don't go there!

Great value for what we paid. The environment, especially in the lobby, is super cool and inviting. However, showers were always cold and bathrooms weren't very clean.

I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.The staff wasn't friendly or fun or helpful really. They seemed to be annoyed and hate their job. The beds were rock hard, and the pillows plastic wrapped and about half an inch thick. There were two electrical plugs in our room of four beds, and they were in the bottom corner where no one's cords could reach from their beds. Our entrance cards stopped functioning about once a day. Definitely not worth the "famous" element.

• 5th Mar 2015

Nice and helpful employees, good Location, I was negatively surprised by my room (very small and very uncomfortable).

The atmosphere is really kind and comfortable.... You feel like in a group, play guitar and sing with people from all around the World

• 4th Mar 2015

Really enjoyed it ... staff great

The room was clean but the mattresses were too thin and noisy. The toilet cistern didn't work at all so we had to go downstairs to use the toilet at the basement. The breakfast was poor when a person can't eat gluten or lactose, there were only cereals, bread, yogurt and milk to accompany the tea/coffee. I would understand some flaws if the price was more fair to the characteristics of the hostel, but it was quite expensive. The last night in Dublin we stayed in a cheaper and better hostel.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Spain

It looks very different than it is portrayed in pictures. It just has an overall dirty feel and no outlets anywhere!!

• 28th Feb 2015

My worst hostel experience ever! Stayed here before and it was fine. I never carry my passport in Ireland as I'm Irish. Last time I stayed here I used my student ID. This time, an unfriendly and unhelpful receptionist demanded either my passport or driving licence to check in. He refused to accept my student ID or union card along with a credit card, debit card, national security card AND an email with my passport number and expiry date on it. He refused to call the manager. I'll never be back.

The location of the Avalon House was good, but other than that, there was nothing of note about this hostel. The rooms were like jail cells- uncomfortable and didn't feel clean. My friend and I also felt like the hostel was trying to get money out of us for everything- towels, shampoo/soap, printing, you name it. Overall, it wasn't the best experience, and if I return to Dublin, I won't be returning to the Avalon House. I'd recommend you find somewhere else more worth your time and money.

Mi friend and me slep in a twin private ensuite with no shared shower for three nights. The cleaning service have just cleaned one day and only the bathroom. I know the place is cheap, but it requires a minimum. That´s all! Thank you!

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Spain

need to be more specious

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • India

I found the roomcard a little bit annoying because it didn't work very often. Especially at the departure day. After I went to breakfast until 9.45 am, I couldn't get into my room because the roomcard didn't work. This happend unfortunately very often.

• 18th Feb 2015

Everything was fine, only one thing I didn't like is because there is no male room.

would recommend to others looking for a cheap place to stay for a few days. small breakfast offering (cereal, toast, etc) but with bald barista cafe right inside you could buy other things if you want. I've stayed in hostels before so I was fine with adapting to the environment but other girls in my group were uncomfortably surprised to find that the toilets accompanying the 24 person dorm were coed. so just a heads up for others! also, third floor, only 3 showers and bathroom gets messy quick.

• 13th Feb 2015

Although the showers were a good size, there were only three of them, which led to a line at busy times during the morning and at night.

This hostel was very close to major attractions and the Temple Bar area, which was nice because it was a short walk back. The bathrooms are cleaned every couple of hours, so it never got too nasty. I had never stayed in a hostel before this one, and I have to say, I was impressed. I would recommend this place to others!

• 13th Feb 2015

Paid €160 for 2 nights in a 2 bed private room which looked more like a prison cell to be honest. The beds were made poorly and I'm not sure if the sheets we're even washed as there were hairs in them. It was hard to sleep at night since people come and go all the time making a lot of noise in the hall and in their rooms. The bathrooms (shared with the whole floor) didn't have hot water, the toilets we're almost always dirty and the showers felt like portable toilets you find in festivals.

• Portugal

Avalon house is very conveniently located near a bus stop and a few minutes walk from anywhere in Dublin. Stayed in the 24 mixed dorm; about what we expected. Beds were average, and didn't get much sleep from the noise. Bathrooms were average as well. Appreciated the use of the storage lockers even after we checked out. Overall, a satisfactory experience.

Great place staff amazing thank u