Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

I've enjoyed been there, the atmosphere and most of the people are very nice. A couple of Irish gay that cone to the room at 23:00 while I was sleeping, and they woke me up making lots of non sense noises for about one hour. The other incident was when I went back to collect my mail, I asked the guy in the reception to check for any mail for me, he got only one letter from 2, and he was so reluctant and arrogant to check for any more letters. At the end I CHECKED IT BY MYSELF AND GOT IT !

As always, helpful staff and a good-value service in a great location. Would definitely recommend to other budget travelers visiting Dublin.

Just need more sockets for chargers in a room because for example 2 sockets for 10 persons it's not enough. They might need to charge not only cell phones but their laptops. And it was a little bit pity that a room wasn't available for 1 night during the period of my staying.

• 3rd Dec 2015
  • Russia

The staff was very knowledgeable about the city and had great insider tips on better and cheaper tours, cheap but good value restaurants and many other things. In addition, they were very kind and helpful when we needed to switch rooms due to construction.

Green light in the twin rooms can keep people awake for a long time

• 3rd Dec 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

This is one of this place that you get what you pay for. Perhaps the one good aspect is the location; 10-15min walk from downtown Dublin and Temple Bar area. They also include free breakfasts, but it is very minimal- toast, cereal, coffee. On the downside, the rooms were pretty old, dirty, and small. The shower are pretty much times and you barely get any hot water; quiet an issue when you are traveling in the fall and winter. You also have to pay 2EU to get a towel.

• 29th Nov 2015

I attempted to check in however the hostel had ignored my confirmed online booking and moved my bed from the 24 bed dorm which I requested to be with my friends to another 10 bed dorm. One of the front of house staff was very helpful however the other blamed it on his manager who was not present and therefore couldn't resolve the problem. Finally, the helpful member of staff resolved the issue but the other was very shirty and abrupt. I will never be staying at Avalon House again

• 28th Nov 2015

Got a private room, was very basic and cold at night! Had to use my coat as blanket. Breakfast is very basic and there is a huge queue, reminded me of military service. Also the hostel is populated not by tourists, but by many foreigners trying to move in Dublin. Not very sociable and sad atmosphere. Go airbnb

Beautiful hostel and PERFECT location!

• 27th Nov 2015

I was only here one short night, but it was clean. The beds were very squeaky, but comfy. Staff were nice and I enjoyed my stay.

Great place! If I was to start my own hostel I would model it after this one! totally satisfied:)

• 23rd Nov 2015

Nice rooms! Beds weren't anything special but they did the job. Showers were nice, and the staff is very friendly! Only complain is they really jacked up the price for the one night we stayed there. It was not worth what we paid for it.

Nice hostel. Promote the GREEN attitude more. Provide fruit for breakfast.

• 20th Nov 2015

Not a bad location, bout a 10 minute walk to the Temple Bar region and the staff was very helpful. You can sign up for tours right at the hostel. If you book ahead of time on hostel world you get a lot for your money--don't show up last minute! Also free breakfast is a plus! It's about an hour from the airport if you take the city bus 16 which is a little over 3 EU.

• 19th Nov 2015

There aren't socket in the shared bathroom, but just some of them along the corridors so if you want to use your hairdrier you will do lot of noise for all the rooms of your corridor. There aren't locker in the rooms the 6 people rooms have no space for 6 people and 6 luggages. staff very kind and bar very good.

• 18th Nov 2015

Kitchen is big and well fournished. A nice place near the very center of the city. At arrival, it would be great that the staff gives you more information about tmhow the hostel (kitchen, locckers, breakfast, where are the nearest supermarket) and what to do in Dublin. There was a group of young people on my floor that annoyed the entire floor as they were very noisy, staying in the corridor late at night tolking and opening/closing doors.

single room was very small but very clean, including bathroom. Good for short stay. great location and really nice cafe.

My bed was a little bit damage and with annoying sounds all night, the bathroom isn't inside the bedroom and no lockers inside the bedroom too (you have to pay for it - so bad this point). It's the negative points in my opinion, all the other things are good or excellent.

• 15th Nov 2015

Very good, only wifi doesn't work in room.

• 12th Nov 2015

The fourth floor is the place to be. The bathrooms are brighter and warmer and the Avalon room was nicer than the dorm I stayed in last time I was at Avalon House. Generally a good hostel. My only comment is that the kitchen could be a bit cleaner