Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Staff was neither friendly nor helpful, i.e. being told by several guests that two of the three (only!) available computers were not working and just shrugging it off. Asking about switching to a more expensive room for one night (in which I'd spend the ensuing nights anyway) they only offered it for double the price-difference, arguing that there's a discount for online reservations and the change would've been made locally. True to regulations but no friendly to customers i suppose.

I've stayed one month in this hostel. Every single week I had problems with hot water. Nothing was said to the customers, we would go to the shower and then realize that there was no hot water, it happened at least 3 days per week. Many laptops were stolen during this month... cameras in the rooms would be welcome or lockers for each bed in the room, as it is in other hostels. Pay 2 euros per day for a locker that is far from the room is ridiculous.

Good hostel - dorm a little cramped - but kitchen enormous - not the cleanest kitchen though- 1 night was enough.

Pros: Comfortable Friendly Staff Great Location- in the heart of Dublin. I was able to walk everywhere I went. Cons: Wifi did not reach my room Bunk bed was so small and squeaky I woke up every time I turned in my sleep. My 4 person room was VERY small. Room was located outside of a noisy bathroom No locker in the rooms, you have to pay to lock up your things!

Had someone come into our room at 2am as they were given keys to our room by rreception. Our key stopped working 3 times so we had to go to reception and get it fixed. And shared boy and girl bathrooms and toilets. Pretty bad experience overall.

the room was great but no much hot water for the shower. I didn't like that the fact of paying 2euro for locking the luggage when I could use my own lock.

Nice staff, perfect location and we were really happy to be welcomed in the night ;)

• 22nd Nov 2013

Good location and very helpful staff. Very basic room but good value for money.

Price was good, haven't seen much staff, location was good nearby city center.

• All Male Group, 31-40

Room doors are not secure at all. Uses very outdated and broken technology. Laptop safes are small - 15" laptop barely fits.

• Latvia

My simple issue is that the computers don't works correctly, always working wrong, It;s hard for the people can't catch internet wifi from their phones, and must going far and pay for internet, It's a really pity.

• Spain

It was werry good .

Not a bad hostel, wifi in the rooms was great and breakfast was quite good too. Only issue was that the hot water tended to run out in the mornings and evenings which, even in winter.

I am currently still staying at the Avalon house, and this is due to the fact that I really enjoy talking with the people there. Everybody is great, from the guests to the staff.

• 12th Nov 2013
  • Romania

Very Good value for money, staff helpful, clean, will stay again for cheap nights out

• 12th Nov 2013

Nice hostel, we already knew that place before

We totally fall in love with this hostel! I honestly can't describe how friendly and informative the staffs were to us throughout our stay! Great atmosphere simply means you would meet lots of awesome people not forgetting the free breakfast! Love the showers and toilets! One minor problem is not enough sockets in the dorm rooms. Generally enjoyed our stay very much!

Rediculous that a male was put in a room with 3 girls 4'oclock in the morning. Totally unaceptable. Not happy.

• 25th Oct 2013
  • Wales

Will definitely recommend to friends!

My experience is probably tainted because my iPad was stolen from my room (along with other people's money, laptop, etc.). There are no lockers in the rooms which, in my opinion, is absurd for a hostel. Installing them in the rooms would fix this easily. There are ones downstairs that you can pay for. The staff was helpful in dealing with my stolen items, however they were rude at other times. Not a conducive atmosphere to meet people. Alright place to sleep but I wouldn't stay there again.