Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Great place, amazing owners - the nicest people in Crete. Highly recommended

• 14th Apr 2014
  • Israel

After a horrific experience at Kinlay House I was delighted to find Avalon House again. I'd forgotten they had an elevator (lift). The two hostels are owned by same person, but the staff at Avalon House were EXCELLENT in comparison to my Kinlay House Dublin experience. I had a 6 bed room all to myself for 2 nights and then shared with folks I never saw much of the third night. The lift (elevator) made it so much better!! Book online at Hostelworld as the hostel charges more when you book w/them

Pretty decent. Good location, net doesn't work everywhere. Pretty basic b

We chilled out in the avalon room. Had a great long weekend. Oldschool.

• 4th Apr 2014

Everything was perfect except for the full Irish breakfast we ordered in the morning, which was not cooked properly. However the staff refunded us so we were happy happy leaving, thank you.

The bathrooms were beyond disgusting, there were old clothes between my bed and the wall, my sheets smelled of body odor, there was no security measures, all of the bathrooms were coed, and the place was generally unsafe and extremely unclean.

Sockets that didn't work. And only two in a 10 bed room... lack of lamps. Need to use the corridor light not to disturb others. Difficulty to keep dry clothes in the showers. Otherwise it was ok.

While the location,price, and staff were great, the walls were paper thin. Anyway to keep the light from above rooms from coming in to a twin bed ensuite? The great coffee shop next door was where we hung out.

• 1st Apr 2014

It was hard to find the hostel because augier street is rather short, and the entrance to hostel is on a different street. Staff was very nice. location was good. It was nice that a towel was provided at no charge. Breakfast was not great, but the whole experience met my needs of just needing lodging for one night at an inexpensive price. I really liked having a private room as compared to other hostel experiences.

I didn't appreciate having to pay to rent a locker when most hostels provide them in the room for free. I also had a serious safety concern--I don't mind staying in a mixed dorm, but it's a problem when I'm one of two girls stuck in the same room as a group of 10 drunk Englishmen who 1. couldn't control their bowels and 2. made comments like, "___, don't rape the girl in the room." Plan out room assignments better next time.

• 28th Mar 2014

I stayed here a couple weeks ago during my time in Dublin with my friend. The vibe of the hostel is really great and they have great facilities. I didn't use the kitchen so I can't say anything about that but the facilities are fantastic. The guys working the front desk were very nice and funny and they helped my friend and I book a day trip to Glendalough (which I highly recommend doing!). They also have tablets with internet which are available for use! Overall great stay, definitely recommend

• 28th Mar 2014

Only wish there was Hot water for showers at all times but other than that had a great experience!

This place was great! Lots of energy and travelers in and out. I loved the Bald Barista coffee shop built right into the hostel - very convenient. The location is unbeatable, with most stuff in walking distance and many bus options nearby. The metal beds are a bit squeaky but still a good deal for the price.

The window in my room wasn't ok, so it was impossible to close it completely and some cold air passed trough all night long.

• 22nd Mar 2014

I don't have much experiences with hostels, but I loved that one! Nice, clean, friendly, cheap, excellent location, 24 hours airport shuttle, just perfect!

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Bulgaria

The place feels safe and to move within the building, you regularly need your key (key card), that you can of course get only if you have a room there. There are lockers for 2€/day. The showers/toilets were I was were clean and new but males and females had to share it.

• 21st Mar 2014

I loved the hostel, the only downside for me was men & women sharing toilet facilities. At night it made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Likes: Location, Atmosphere and Staff Dislikes: Bunk Beds, Rooms were small, No storage/lockers in rooms, noisy.

A LITTLE NOISY AT NIGHT SINCE OUR ROOM WAS ON STREET SIDE. WASN'T AWAR\E THAT THE TOWELS WERE AVAILABLE FOR $3 EACH RENTAL. IT SAID LINENS WERE AVAILABLE. OTHER HOSTELS STATED SHEETS AVAILABLE WHERE TOWELS WERE NOT INCLUDED IN ROOM RATE. VERY GOOD LOCATION FOR TOURING AROUND DUBLIN.

I stayed in a room for 6 people, it was originally meant to be a room for just 4 but there was confusion... I don't know how... but the staff was happy to help fix it and the room they switched us to was nice, clean, comfortable. The ensuite was decent as well. The lockers system they have for leaving luggage is ridiculously unorganized though.