Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

I didn't appreciate having to pay to rent a locker when most hostels provide them in the room for free. I also had a serious safety concern--I don't mind staying in a mixed dorm, but it's a problem when I'm one of two girls stuck in the same room as a group of 10 drunk Englishmen who 1. couldn't control their bowels and 2. made comments like, "___, don't rape the girl in the room." Plan out room assignments better next time.

• 28th Mar 2014

I stayed here a couple weeks ago during my time in Dublin with my friend. The vibe of the hostel is really great and they have great facilities. I didn't use the kitchen so I can't say anything about that but the facilities are fantastic. The guys working the front desk were very nice and funny and they helped my friend and I book a day trip to Glendalough (which I highly recommend doing!). They also have tablets with internet which are available for use! Overall great stay, definitely recommend

• 28th Mar 2014

Only wish there was Hot water for showers at all times but other than that had a great experience!

This place was great! Lots of energy and travelers in and out. I loved the Bald Barista coffee shop built right into the hostel - very convenient. The location is unbeatable, with most stuff in walking distance and many bus options nearby. The metal beds are a bit squeaky but still a good deal for the price.

The window in my room wasn't ok, so it was impossible to close it completely and some cold air passed trough all night long.

• 22nd Mar 2014

I don't have much experiences with hostels, but I loved that one! Nice, clean, friendly, cheap, excellent location, 24 hours airport shuttle, just perfect!

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Bulgaria

The place feels safe and to move within the building, you regularly need your key (key card), that you can of course get only if you have a room there. There are lockers for 2€/day. The showers/toilets were I was were clean and new but males and females had to share it.

• 21st Mar 2014

I loved the hostel, the only downside for me was men & women sharing toilet facilities. At night it made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Likes: Location, Atmosphere and Staff Dislikes: Bunk Beds, Rooms were small, No storage/lockers in rooms, noisy.

A LITTLE NOISY AT NIGHT SINCE OUR ROOM WAS ON STREET SIDE. WASN'T AWAR\E THAT THE TOWELS WERE AVAILABLE FOR $3 EACH RENTAL. IT SAID LINENS WERE AVAILABLE. OTHER HOSTELS STATED SHEETS AVAILABLE WHERE TOWELS WERE NOT INCLUDED IN ROOM RATE. VERY GOOD LOCATION FOR TOURING AROUND DUBLIN.

I stayed in a room for 6 people, it was originally meant to be a room for just 4 but there was confusion... I don't know how... but the staff was happy to help fix it and the room they switched us to was nice, clean, comfortable. The ensuite was decent as well. The lockers system they have for leaving luggage is ridiculously unorganized though.

Nothing bad or good stood out to me about this hostel. Pretty good I guess

Great location, ok wifi connection, friendly staff and good facilities. Not a great hostel for meeting new people, so not recommended for solo travellers like myself. The rooms were adequate however on my first night I was put into a room with wet paint which wasn't great.

I had a Problem with your room, there exist bed-bugs!!!. I realized when I awoke in the morning. Please clean that room more properly. I never before had such problem in any irish hostel. So please do something against this, it is horrible. I have still the red pustels all over my arms and hands (with seems to be very typical as the doctors say).

Great water pressure in the shower. Really noisy while trying to sleep, I mean like 2am-5am people were really loud, walls are very thin, you can hear a lot but we appreciate when we went to the receptionist to tell them about the noise it quieted down a bit. Great kitchen and cool environment to get on the computer, watch a little tv and nice cafe with good options!

All very friendly and helpful but housekeeping have the unfortunate habit of entering rooms without knocking first. This occured on at least three ocasions in our 2 day stay. The showers are weak and tepid, not upto the standard experienced on previous visits. Stained matresses on bunk beds give a bad impression.

• 13th Mar 2014

The music in the lobby was awesome!

Great stay. Lovely staff. Good location and super helpful with info about the city.

Tiny room, smelt of body odour! No hot water in wash hand basin, no plug in wash hand basin. Nice breakfast area. Slow wi-fi.

Stayed for 9 nights. Free breakfast and WiFi. Cafe with plenty of choices re meals Deals etc. Awesome kitchen well equipped Showers were on solar system, don't expect hot showers they were luke warm, even after running them for awhile. Also push button on a timer mission washing. was given a double bed sheet folded over on my bed, which was really uncomfortable, i often woke sleeping on the mattress cover. After day four it was finally changed to two sheets. bliss. Will stay again.

• 6th Mar 2014