Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Wifi didn't work on the top floor. You can read in the hostel: "if you have questions: come to us (the staff)". Unfortunately, they are not so helpfully most of the times.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Great place felt very secure will be back

Very good experience, with price, location and atmosphere being the leaders. Want to return and will recommend Avalon to others.

When I arrived I was greeted somewhat coldly and was not given proper directions to my room. Once I got to my room, the floor was covered with toilet paper pieces, the bed was not made properly, the garbage bins were full, and the bathroom window was wide open on a cooler day. The only reason I did not request a new room was because I was only spending the night and I was leaving early the next morning.

• 3rd Apr 2015

During our first stay our room was located on the 1st floor and it was a 12 bed dorm. The room was okay, the cleanliness was also good. The bathroom on the 1st floor was really okay and also very clean. During our second stay our room was the Avalon Room which was a 24 bed dorm. It was okay, but one window was open and couldn't be closed and so we heard a lot of the noises from outside. The bathroom next to this dorm was dirty and disgusting so we had to look for another bathroom, which was ok.

The room I stayed in was very outdated. The facilities weren't very clean, I wouldn't have walked anywhere without shoes on. I also didn't feel the staff were very helpful/knowledgable about the current events in Dublin for the weekend I was there.

I arrived late and had to leave early the next morning. This is a bit more off the beaten path than you might want if you're planning to explore the main downtown areas of Dublin. Room was pretty small, and very few power outlets. My biggest frustration was the $2 fee to use my credit card to pay for my room. Credit Card companies do charge a transaction fee, this is generally 2-3% of the total transaction. So for my $18 fee, that would have been at most $0.54. Quite a ridiculous mark up. :/

Stayed there for a while and quite happy with it. Like its sister Kinlay: very kind staff, enjoyable breakfast. Here you can meet travelers as well as students and professionals from all over the world. I could even say it became my home.

The hostel was very comfortable and the atmosphere was very friendly and cool for young people. The only thing I critisize is that there was no safe in the bedrooms.

• 31st Mar 2015

very relaxed atmosphere, clean, quiet, friendly and helpful staff - feels safe. good breakfast. guests kitchen could be organised better but would stay there again.

I've been there just for one night but the place was great ranging from the cleanliness to the staff. Room and location excellent.

• 27th Mar 2015

Very good hostel overall! They do need to find another airport shuttle service though. My friend and I were stranded at 4am because the shuttle didn't show up even though we booked it through Avalon. We had to find another way to get to the airport at 4am and barely made it to our flight.

• 26th Mar 2015

Nice Hostel with lovely staff .

place needs facelift and staff could do better to show appreciation for our custom

This was by far the worst Hostel I have ever stayed in. Towels came with the room but instead of the guy telling us that when we checked in he just went ahead and charged us for them when we requested them. We got up stairs and relaized that we were already given some. Forget any sort of sleep here even though apparently they do have quiet hours. I had to deal with 6 men screaming and banging around in the hallway at 3am for over 30minutes. I finally went out to ask them to shut up.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Showers were appalling and without a bathmat meant that the whole bathroom was wet. Breakfast was alright. The staff were helpful.

Stayed there 2 nights only (fri-sat) We were a group of friends looking for a cheap place to stay for the weekend and so we found it. But honestly if you book earlier you can find a lot better for the same price We stayed in a room of 4, the room was really smelly, stained carpet (who leaves carpet in a hostel room), the bathroom was where the smell came from and the flush was working only once out of ten times And the best think was the elevator that broke down with people inside...

Good location and nice stuff, but really small rooms. In a 4 person room (2 double beds) there were no space for the lougage, just under the bed - it was not a big problem, we could solve it. The main thing was, that that small space is really not enough for 4 person, we could only sleep with open window

Past its prime, no atmosphere, changed hostels and glad i did

Good location; not directly downtown but close enough to easily walk. Maybe 8 minutes to Temple Bar area. Amazing staff, lots of information available to guests. Security at the door, card required to enter living areas. Shared bathrooms, good facilities.