Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

i had asked for a bottom bed but was not allocated one. The eceptionist kindly changed it which meant i could have been allocated it in the beginning. When i had arrived to check in around 11 am i was told i couldn't check in until 2pm. However, while i waited in the reception area, i saw another person being checked in immediately.....

My 12 bed room was two floors which was nice because it made it less cramped. I didn't like the unisex bathrooms though. Everything else was good and it was all clean. Already booked another night here for the end of my trip.

Had some nice days at your hostel. Security was perfect with these key cards. Thanks again!

• 25th Jun 2014

The bathrooms were very clean, especially considering how many people were using them. The rooms needed a good airing out, as they smelled like stale sweat. The breakfast was good. I liked the cafe that was attached. The security was good at the front, but the lack of lockers kind of sucked especially because the rooms were so crowded, there wasn't a lot of space to put your stuff. Overall, it was a good hostel.

I stayed in a single private room with shared bathroom. The showers are brutal and cold! You have to press the button down for it to keep running, and the water blasts lukewarm and so strongly that it actually stings. For 5 euro more per night, I stayed in a lovely house through airbnb. I would recommend that much more highly than staying at Avalon House, especially if you don't want to stay in a dorm.

2 bed room small but practical with sheets and a basin,nice breakfast includee

I think it is realyl weird to have common toilet and showr area for male and female. I stayed in 4 bedroom common room, once with a private bathroom and another time I had to use common bathroom/toilet. I was very weird bcz very weird guys were around and I felt too odd to take shower in there.stupid not to have temperature control in the shower. It would also be great if you have atleast a small lockers, under the bed to store the valuables rather than to run to down locker everytme u need smth

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Nepal

I stayed in a 24-bed mixed dorm and it was quite noisy at night, coming from the pubs/clubs nearby. It is not the hostel's fault though. And the staff was helpful. As I needed to leave in the early morning, the staff allowed me to go in to take my food from the kitchen although it is way before the kitchen's opening hours.

We could see some pictures of the hostel, but cannot see which room we were booking (this is a Hostelworld.com limitation). The result was to find a very small room: we barely had the space to put our luggage. The picture of the room hostelworld.com (which we could find only after our staying) was misleading, compared to the reality. Only one toilet (out of 4) was open. The room wasn't so clean. It was not worth the price.

Very impressed with the staff...very helpful knowledgeable and friendly. it was a lovely hostel to stay in. Also loved the free upgrade on the second night. The live music was great...musician very talented. it was a great location for us as we could walk everywhere we wanted to go. it was much quieter than some of the other hostels I stayed in in Europe. Well done!

I was only there from 7:00 pm to 6:00 am but found the facility very adequate and reasonable for a nights stay in a single room. Thanks so much. Laurie from western Canada.

• 18th Jun 2014

did not like the way i was treated by a staff member when cooking in the kitchen, i know its to be before 10 but the kitchen had been used for most of the evening so when i went in and was in the middle of cooking she came in switched facilities off. i told her i would only be about 5 mins but she shouted and me and said "you must never have worked before" why would she say something like this. she later apologised to me, but the next morning i was accused of been rude to her.

Great staff, really helpful & knowledgeable. Beds are not the most comfortable & the pillows are pretty thin. Showers require you to continually mash a button to keep the water flowing & usually hover around lukewarm. Cool atmosphere downstairs, great for hanging out. My room smelled pretty musty, though, & so did the hallways. Located a ~20 minute walk from the Guiness Storehouse & 2-5 minutes from St. Patrick's Cathedral + Dublin Castle. Good pubs nearby. Temple Bar a ~10-15 minute walk.

I have been to this Hostel for one night, I can't say much. Nice location for night/day life, near to pubs and night clubs and also to the main turistic places. The environment inside the Hostel is postitive and the staff is nice. The rooms are very large (I got a 2floors one) and the beds comfortable. One thing I did not like was that the bathroom was not part of the room but is in the corridor.

• 14th Jun 2014

no power points in rooms and push start showers.

Good all rounder. Spacious with good showers

• 14th Jun 2014

security was a bit over the top. poor atmosphere. great staff. Biggest hassle however was there are no power points in the rooms and the showers are push button, so no temp control

It's a good hostel, location is excellent, but the staff is terrible!

• 13th Jun 2014

This hostel wasn't to bad. A short walk from temple bar district. Close enough to get anywhere... Far away enough to avoid the crowds and noises. The 6 bed dorm I stayed in was nice enough... The mattress hands a little bit over the actual frame so at one point I almost rolled down the side of the bed. The window in our room was also partially broken so it wouldn't close completely which was annoying when you had to sleep right next to it. Generally pretty clean as well. Helpful staff.

Pretty average hostel. Location is pretty good. Breakfast was average. Rooms had pretty cool second floors in them. Security was a bit lax in terms of needing to use the keycard to get in; the door was usually just left open. Not helpful trying to find a local restaurant or in trying to get to the ferry port. Bathrooms were a mess. Overall, a good, though unexceptional stay.