Avalon House Reviews

55 Aungier Street, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Great location , nice staff , clean rooms.

This hostel is located very close to the city center. Only a few minutes to walk to O'Conell and Graffton Street. The staff was very friendly and helped with every problem. The rooms are small but okay. The value for money is so good - everybody who wants to stay in Dublin for one night has to take a look for this hostel!

Ugly restrooms and shower. Dirty bedstuff. Really lound neighbours in the night. We won't come again.

• 12th Apr 2015

Room 102 is too noisy, you need to put insulated glazing otherwise we can hear the cars all night long. Also we can hear the people from room 101 like if they were in the same room ! there is a little space above the wall that needs to be draughtproofed. And we hear the people from upstairs as well. Price was too expensive for the poor sleeping we had due to the noise.Also the window can be very easily opened from outside, it does not lock.And one of the bed is too old and needs to be replaced.

I slept 3 days in a 8 dorm room and then 2 days in the 24 dorm room. In my opinion a cheap option to sleep in Dublin near the city town. Bath/Showers are really clean. The rooms are good enough also. It is a big Hotel so there can be lot of people in the common rooms. Breakfast is just okay.

Friendly and helpful staff, free maps , free breakfast , free wifi , free walking tour.The posters are very nice and cool.

I enjoyed the stay here! Fantastic location!

• 9th Apr 2015

Wifi didn't work on the top floor. You can read in the hostel: "if you have questions: come to us (the staff)". Unfortunately, they are not so helpfully most of the times.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Great place felt very secure will be back

Very good experience, with price, location and atmosphere being the leaders. Want to return and will recommend Avalon to others.

When I arrived I was greeted somewhat coldly and was not given proper directions to my room. Once I got to my room, the floor was covered with toilet paper pieces, the bed was not made properly, the garbage bins were full, and the bathroom window was wide open on a cooler day. The only reason I did not request a new room was because I was only spending the night and I was leaving early the next morning.

• 3rd Apr 2015

During our first stay our room was located on the 1st floor and it was a 12 bed dorm. The room was okay, the cleanliness was also good. The bathroom on the 1st floor was really okay and also very clean. During our second stay our room was the Avalon Room which was a 24 bed dorm. It was okay, but one window was open and couldn't be closed and so we heard a lot of the noises from outside. The bathroom next to this dorm was dirty and disgusting so we had to look for another bathroom, which was ok.

The room I stayed in was very outdated. The facilities weren't very clean, I wouldn't have walked anywhere without shoes on. I also didn't feel the staff were very helpful/knowledgable about the current events in Dublin for the weekend I was there.

I arrived late and had to leave early the next morning. This is a bit more off the beaten path than you might want if you're planning to explore the main downtown areas of Dublin. Room was pretty small, and very few power outlets. My biggest frustration was the $2 fee to use my credit card to pay for my room. Credit Card companies do charge a transaction fee, this is generally 2-3% of the total transaction. So for my $18 fee, that would have been at most $0.54. Quite a ridiculous mark up. :/

Stayed there for a while and quite happy with it. Like its sister Kinlay: very kind staff, enjoyable breakfast. Here you can meet travelers as well as students and professionals from all over the world. I could even say it became my home.

The hostel was very comfortable and the atmosphere was very friendly and cool for young people. The only thing I critisize is that there was no safe in the bedrooms.

• 31st Mar 2015

very relaxed atmosphere, clean, quiet, friendly and helpful staff - feels safe. good breakfast. guests kitchen could be organised better but would stay there again.

I've been there just for one night but the place was great ranging from the cleanliness to the staff. Room and location excellent.

• 27th Mar 2015

Very good hostel overall! They do need to find another airport shuttle service though. My friend and I were stranded at 4am because the shuttle didn't show up even though we booked it through Avalon. We had to find another way to get to the airport at 4am and barely made it to our flight.

• 26th Mar 2015

Nice Hostel with lovely staff .