Avenues Hostel Reviews

107 F Street, Salt Lake City, USA

Just a few comments: - My bed frame had a piece of jagged metal sticking out. I woke up with a huge scrape on my foot. - In the shower the cold tap operated in the reverse direction. I didn't even know they made taps like that. - Excessively large credit card surcharge. - The night before checking out I asked what time the office opened in the morning as I had an appointment. They showed up half an hour late... - The staff are nice enough, but the management was completely incompetent.

• 19th Jul 2015

The location is about the only thing we were happy with. The bathroom and kitchen were filthy. There was a clump of someone's hair on our bed when we checked in. The wifi doesn't work upstairs. Dirty bathroom with plaster peeling off the ceiling. Very old building so noise carries a lot...especially when there are kids banging away on the piano all day. Rooms are hot and no fans are provided.

65$ for 1 bed + a bunk. With fridge and microwave. No AC. Parking area is the smoking area....so park on street or breath smoke. Lots of junk accumulated outside . Taking a lot of boarders in addition to travelers. Towels cost 2$..

• 27th Jun 2015

Hi there, Thank you for staying with us. We thought $65 dollars for three people with one queen sized bed and a set of bunks, fridge, Cable TV, Microwave, private bath, breakfast , free wifi, free computers was a good deal. Yes. We do have central air. Plenty of free parking is available, which is unusual for this nice neighborhood.

Half the windows in my room had no curtains despite facing the street, the sheets were stained and full of the previous users' hair, and the breakfast runs out if you don't get in early. Wifi worked well though, staff were very friendly and helpful, and the overall atmosphere felt comfortable. I would probably have considered the price for a private room very reasonable if at least the sheets had been clean.

• 22nd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

We are sorry your stay was not totally satisfactory. Our housekeeping staff works hard to ensure every guest has an enjoyable experience but obviously there is room for improvement. We appreciate your comments and will do our best to make your next visit more than satisfactory.

This is a nice place, although it's located in a residential area (the hostel seems to have been a regular house once). The showers are a bit primitive, but other than that all facilities are great. The receptionist was extremely friendly and there's a sizeable common room with a large flat screen tv.

The breakfast was limited with only one kind of sugary cereal, no choice. There were eggs and bread too. The hostel was close to a good supermarket and convenient for downtown. Instructions for getting from transport terminal using Trax and the bus to get nearer, it is not very far but too far with heavy luggage.

Old building but kept extremely clean. Bed come with a pillow and sheets, blanket can be hired for $5. Wifi is good, also in the room. Woman behind the counter was very friendly. 2 tv rooms, plus 2 computers and a piano. Busstop is about 10 minute walk away.

I would recommend to reorganize the system of deposit for a room key. I needed to check out at the evening and be without my room's key the whole night and morning, since I was leaving before their office hours. However, the staff is very helpful and tried to solve my situation.

• 29th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

The staff were extremely courteous after a long drive into town, but the dorms, bathrooms, and the kitchen leave something to be desired. They're functional, but far from spectacular. I'd stay here again in a pinch, but I'd probably try to seek out someplace a bit nicer first.

Decent hostel. Friendly staff

Particularly friendly and welcoming staff. Very helpful.

Its not really a youth hostel, its more like a strange old people with no teeth place. Staff is kind, not so helpful though. Everything looks old. Bunch of stuff in the yard. Broken bikes for rent for 15$/day

We arrived late and tired from a days worth of driving and the staff on the night shift couldnt be more friendly and accomodating. For such a bargain we were treat with a beautiful fresh and large room with tv, fridge all the amenities close by. We were able to park our car safe round the back. it was a shame we were only staying the one night. Staff and guests seemed real cool and the type of place you'd definitely spend a little longer. Thanks for making our short stop a memorable one

• 29th Mar 2015

Walk on 2nd Ave 10 minutes to Temple Square see many free tours on State street turn left one block see interesting coffee shop which is on second floor look at market ...all those fun colors.. make sure you know which is 7th and which is 2nd ave...walk on 2nd but from 1st ave you will see Beautiful "Church" Temple and all around free attractions and tours

• 4th Mar 2015

There is no towel or blanket unless you pay extra. The breakfast is good but it runs out after the first half hour. It is close to the bus line but the busses don't run after 6 PM so it is about a 1 1/2 mile walk to town.

I didn't think this would be the Ritz Carlton, but I expected a little more. The facility is dirty and is staffed by people that just don't care. The place is very dilapidated and the "limited" breakfast is just that. They put out a half gallon of milk and a half carton of eggs and when they're gone, they are not replaced. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 26th Feb 2015

We are sorry that your experience at the hostel was not satisfactory to you. The breakfast time is from 7:30 AM to 9:30 AM. We always put one carton of eggs and full gallon of milk out. We are not sure what could have happened, but we do replace them as needed. After 9:30 AM we only provide Coffee. We have got many compliments on how clean this place is.

There was no one in the office when I arrived in the afternoon to check in. It was cold and there was no blanket on my bed. When I asked for one the next morning I was told there would be a $2.00 extra charge for it which I think is unreasonable. Unlike a towel which was also not furnished, a blanket is part of the expected bedding. People can't be expected to carry a blanket in their suitcase or to pay extra for one! The fix-it-yourself breakfast of cereal, eggs. toast and coffee was very good.

A decent place to stay, though a 10 a.m. check-out time is pretty unheard of.

Showers are in seruous need of repair. Overall - juat seems really old and run down. Long paat due dor some upgrades.

• 19th Feb 2015

Wifi doesn't work properly everywhere (especially in the dorm) and the breakfast is almost inexistent.

We have up to 20 MB of speed. It may not cover the whole building very well. None of our guests had any complaints about our WIFI before.

View all Salt Lake City Hostels