Avenues Hostel Reviews

107 F Street, Salt Lake City, USA

I didn't think this would be the Ritz Carlton, but I expected a little more. The facility is dirty and is staffed by people that just don't care. The place is very dilapidated and the "limited" breakfast is just that. They put out a half gallon of milk and a half carton of eggs and when they're gone, they are not replaced. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 26th Feb 2015

There was no one in the office when I arrived in the afternoon to check in. It was cold and there was no blanket on my bed. When I asked for one the next morning I was told there would be a $2.00 extra charge for it which I think is unreasonable. Unlike a towel which was also not furnished, a blanket is part of the expected bedding. People can't be expected to carry a blanket in their suitcase or to pay extra for one! The fix-it-yourself breakfast of cereal, eggs. toast and coffee was very good.

A decent place to stay, though a 10 a.m. check-out time is pretty unheard of.

Showers are in seruous need of repair. Overall - juat seems really old and run down. Long paat due dor some upgrades.

• 19th Feb 2015

Wifi doesn't work properly everywhere (especially in the dorm) and the breakfast is almost inexistent.

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

We have up to 20 MB of speed. It may not cover the whole building very well. None of our guests had any complaints about our WIFI before.

The hostel is well located and the atmosphere is great. Restrooms more or less clean. $2 extra if you want a blanket. And the breakfast was a joke...

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Spain

We have bread, cereal, eggs, coffee, milk, peanut butter, jam. We try our best to accommodate our guest.

Well, the Asian receptionsist was very, very unfriendly. I had a question and sheh told me when I don not like it I can leave !! And this two or three times!

• 31st Jan 2015

We are sorry that you were treated in such a rude way. Please come back and stay with another time. We will make sure your experience will be much better. We have already let go of the person.

very good hostel, only problem is a certain evening staff person who probably should be replaced. other than that this place is great.

Thank you for your feedback. We have replaced the staff.

Felt like homeless people were livibg there. Very quiet.

The website needs to list fees for items, and what is and is not included more clearly. I felt like everything I asked for was a few more dollars. This hostel did not feel like a number of hostels I have been to in cities, it felt more like a half-way house for local residents than a place that catered to out of town guests.

• 8th Jan 2015

Sorry that your stay was not satisfactory. For dorm beds, we do charge a fee for towel and blanket. However, our rates are best in town plus the simple yet free breakfast in a nice and safe neighborhood. We provide a safe and a clean place for travelers. We do not give discount to longer stays and we also give discount for online bookings, which is a way to cater travelers.

Nice location and low price. Front office was friendly to me. Average of what you expect from a hostel. However it is staffed not by hipsters (like it usually is), but by homeless-looking people who obviously help around there for shelter. There was no lockers in the rooms, and in that kind of place that would be really handy.

The dorm room I stayed in was very clean and quiet. And the staff was very friendly and helpful. They helped me find a wonderful Thai restaurant near the hostel. I will definitely return to this hostel. Great Location! Sabrina

• 22nd Dec 2014

The Avenues is a great place to stay. Very clean, and a friendly staff. I've enjoyed my time here.

• 21st Nov 2014

I stayed for three nights at this hostel and never once saw the lady at the front desk smile. There is nothing welcoming about this hostel, from the attitude of the front desk staff to the drab atmosphere of the place.

• 8th Nov 2014

I liked the convenience of the location and the coming-and-going casualness of the place. The beds were clean, and mostly things were clean enough, but I was glad I didn't have to take a shower or stay very long. Staff were uninspired, although I was able to extract the necessary information. The atmosphere was not cheerful, just functional.

• 17th Oct 2014

I enjoyed my stay and have since extended my stay. It is quiet and in a very nice neighborhood and was a good choice on hostels in the area.

• 16th Oct 2014

Everything was clean and the guy working at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly. There was even eggs and toast in the morning! Definitely a great place to stay for the price.

• 14th Oct 2014

The place is more of a half-way house than a traveler's hostel. Most people staying there were full time residents and were rather unfriendly, some were even rude. The place is comfortable with tv's and nice common areas but there's no atmosphere what so ever. Some homeless guy stole a pack of cigs and a lighter I had left on my bed while showering.

Very good place, and especially excellent staff. Very helpful and friendly. I had an excellent stay, and if I make it back to SLC (as I hope - it's a great place) I'll certainly check again with the Avenues Hostel.

• 5th Oct 2014

The room was cold (broken window), and totally sterile (reminded me about a hotel room in 80s Soviet Union).

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Sorry that your stay was not satisfactory to you. The room has a TV, microwave and refrigerator, a chair and a desk. A nice Ikea bed with a nice comforter. We are sure what else would need to make the room more comfortable. We do not see the window is broken. No complains from other guests about being cold. We have heaters and furnace to keep the place warm. Come again. We will make sure your next stay will be a pleasant one.

View all Salt Lake City Hostels