Avenues Hostel Reviews

107 F Street, Salt Lake City, USA

A lot of frickies

It was a good place to crash for the night. Very quiet, and well-maintained.

This is a hostel and a lot of reviews seem to expect hotel standards. Avenues has a friendly staff that maintain the large location and it is positioned within walking distance to the city center. The kitchen is generally clean and breakfast includes a make-your-own variety of basic foods and beverages like eggs, cereal, tea, and coffee. Make sure you speak to someone if you have an odd check in time and make sure to check out on time, or face a penalty. Generally, this was a great value.

It is quiet and tranquil that I can enjoy every morning. I think if that if you want to stay in hostel with good facilities, I do not recommand this hostel to you, but if you just want to stay in and want to save moeny or do not care about facilities, it is really good place for you. I stayed at the second floor but I can freely use wifi and it is now slow. Even my bed was really clean. I do not know why others wrote many complaints.. Staffs are really nice. Really nice.

Just a few comments: - My bed frame had a piece of jagged metal sticking out. I woke up with a huge scrape on my foot. - In the shower the cold tap operated in the reverse direction. I didn't even know they made taps like that. - Excessively large credit card surcharge. - The night before checking out I asked what time the office opened in the morning as I had an appointment. They showed up half an hour late... - The staff are nice enough, but the management was completely incompetent.

• 19th Jul 2015

Our staff work hard to make every guest's stay as enjoyable as possible but we know there is always room for improvement and we appreciate customer feedback. We try to provide the best possible value for your money. Credit card companies charge us for the "privilege" of using their service and as we are a small operation we can not absorb those fees while providing the best possible value. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The location is about the only thing we were happy with. The bathroom and kitchen were filthy. There was a clump of someone's hair on our bed when we checked in. The wifi doesn't work upstairs. Dirty bathroom with plaster peeling off the ceiling. Very old building so noise carries a lot...especially when there are kids banging away on the piano all day. Rooms are hot and no fans are provided.

We are sorry to hear your stay was not satisfactory. Our housekeeping staff work hard to make everyone's stay pleasant but there is always room for improvement. We have upgraded our wifi so there is much better coverage throughout the entire building. We appreciate your comments as they are an excellent means of showing us where we can improve.

65$ for 1 bed + a bunk. With fridge and microwave. No AC. Parking area is the smoking area....so park on street or breath smoke. Lots of junk accumulated outside . Taking a lot of boarders in addition to travelers. Towels cost 2$..

• 27th Jun 2015

Hi there, Thank you for staying with us. We thought $65 dollars for three people with one queen sized bed and a set of bunks, fridge, Cable TV, Microwave, private bath, breakfast , free wifi, free computers was a good deal. Yes. We do have central air. Plenty of free parking is available, which is unusual for this nice neighborhood.

Half the windows in my room had no curtains despite facing the street, the sheets were stained and full of the previous users' hair, and the breakfast runs out if you don't get in early. Wifi worked well though, staff were very friendly and helpful, and the overall atmosphere felt comfortable. I would probably have considered the price for a private room very reasonable if at least the sheets had been clean.

• 22nd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

We are sorry your stay was not totally satisfactory. Our housekeeping staff works hard to ensure every guest has an enjoyable experience but obviously there is room for improvement. We appreciate your comments and will do our best to make your next visit more than satisfactory.

This is a nice place, although it's located in a residential area (the hostel seems to have been a regular house once). The showers are a bit primitive, but other than that all facilities are great. The receptionist was extremely friendly and there's a sizeable common room with a large flat screen tv.

The breakfast was limited with only one kind of sugary cereal, no choice. There were eggs and bread too. The hostel was close to a good supermarket and convenient for downtown. Instructions for getting from transport terminal using Trax and the bus to get nearer, it is not very far but too far with heavy luggage.

Old building but kept extremely clean. Bed come with a pillow and sheets, blanket can be hired for $5. Wifi is good, also in the room. Woman behind the counter was very friendly. 2 tv rooms, plus 2 computers and a piano. Busstop is about 10 minute walk away.

I would recommend to reorganize the system of deposit for a room key. I needed to check out at the evening and be without my room's key the whole night and morning, since I was leaving before their office hours. However, the staff is very helpful and tried to solve my situation.

• 29th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

The staff were extremely courteous after a long drive into town, but the dorms, bathrooms, and the kitchen leave something to be desired. They're functional, but far from spectacular. I'd stay here again in a pinch, but I'd probably try to seek out someplace a bit nicer first.

Decent hostel. Friendly staff

Particularly friendly and welcoming staff. Very helpful.

Its not really a youth hostel, its more like a strange old people with no teeth place. Staff is kind, not so helpful though. Everything looks old. Bunch of stuff in the yard. Broken bikes for rent for 15$/day

We arrived late and tired from a days worth of driving and the staff on the night shift couldnt be more friendly and accomodating. For such a bargain we were treat with a beautiful fresh and large room with tv, fridge all the amenities close by. We were able to park our car safe round the back. it was a shame we were only staying the one night. Staff and guests seemed real cool and the type of place you'd definitely spend a little longer. Thanks for making our short stop a memorable one

• 29th Mar 2015

Walk on 2nd Ave 10 minutes to Temple Square see many free tours on State street turn left one block see interesting coffee shop which is on second floor look at market ...all those fun colors.. make sure you know which is 7th and which is 2nd ave...walk on 2nd but from 1st ave you will see Beautiful "Church" Temple and all around free attractions and tours

• 4th Mar 2015