BB's Working Backpackers Reviews

677 Darling Street (corner Victoria Road), Balmain 2039, Sydney, Australia

Horrendous. Booked this hostel for 3 nights and it was quite possibly the worst 3 nights we've ever experienced. I can't begin to explain how messy this hostel is. It's smelly, dark, old and overall very depressing. The free WiFi was the only plus point but it was only available in the lounge or the garage, which incidentally, is where reception, the washing machines and a fridge are located?! Our room was unlocked when we first got there, so much for security! I'd recommend staying away!

• 28th Nov 2014

We love the FREE wifi! that is in the lounge rooms, some bedrooms and garage. We have an extra fridge in the basement and three fridges in each kitchen so there is plenty of room for your food. We have keys for the rooms but most people don't want one-its up to you guys! we also have great guests who are lots of fun to be around! not to mention FREE clothes dryers! I'd suggest you come and check us out!

Good location and that's all good. Everything else is poor or average. But if you are looking for cheap stay -that's a nice variant.

• 26th Nov 2014
  • Russia

Hi yes we do have a great location, with bus to city across the street, great cafe's. eateries and pubs, weekend markets a beautiful waterfront reserve only a short walk away and cheap, cheap rates!

I understand that this is one of (if not the) cheapest hostels in Sydney - so one shouldn’t expect too much. And the "uncleanliness" is primarily made by "us", the guests (mainly working or looking for work backpackers - not really traveling backpackers like me). Still I consider it (also) the responsibility of the management/owner(s) to prevent this - show more exemplary status.

Gday we are the cheapest hostel in Sydney and we are very proud of that! we have working backpackers and people just stopping in for a couple of days, we hope everyone has a great time and the staff ensure the hostel is kept clean for everyone to enjoy!

I've never seen a place so dirty, I had to ask to clean again the bathroom, even after that the bathroom was still dirty! I think the manager never check what kind of work their staff do!! The room (a double room) was so small and without window. The garage was full of backpacker's car on sale or cars left there. People smoking everywhere. The washing machine was impossible to close, i had to use the bin to lock it. The stove wasn't working, so we never was able to cook there. DO NOT GO THERE

I booked this hostel on a weekend when the rugby league final was occurring, so there were basically no rooms available in Sydney except for here. When I got the bus up to the hostel, I was told that the booking hadn't gone through and the place was fully booked. Apparently the internet was down. Not necessarily the hostels fault, and the receptionist was very nice about it, giving me full refund and offered to let me stash my bag there til the next night, but I was homeless for the night. Fun.

• 4th Oct 2014

Nice anda warm

• 11th Sep 2014

Hi we are so happy you enjoyed your stay! we hope to see you again soon:D

Best atmosphere ever! If you're looking for good people to meet you can't go wrong. With weekly and monthly rates you won't find a better value for your money. Good showers and lounge area too and it's nice you can smoke on the balcony. I've been here since January so I must like it :)

• 27th Aug 2014

Hi its awesome that you had a great time! and we love our cheap rates and giving people a discount for longer stays!

We Have been in many hostels during our journey but this was the worst! It was unbelievably dirty, especially the bathrooms (fingernails in bathtub for 3 days!) and cooking was impossible because of the dirt. Wouldn't recommend it! Oh and it's pretty far away from the city, just go to Kingscross - way better!

Hi, we clean the hostel more than twice everyday and you should let us know if there is something that needs attention. We have great people staying here and are a 7 minute bus ride into the cbd and walking distance to waterfront reserves, great shopping, pubs and food. We love Balmain!

As the cheapest possible hostel available, my expectations were low. You certainly get what you pay for. The hotel is dirty, dark and not a lot works properly. I'm not saying that people shouldn't stay, we didn't leave feeling annoyed, but didn't leave with any photos we would want in our holiday albums! The people were friendly enough. We can't complain much as it was so cheap.

• 31st Jul 2014

Really enjoyed the stay there, so close to everything and room was exactly what we needed as we only used the room to sleep and get changed/shower. It wasn't the cleanest place, bathroom area particularly was quite messy but for the price it was livable! The staff were quite nice, however hard to get in contact with due to the reduced reception hours. I am still yet to hear word about receiving my key deposit back after contacting reception several times prior to leaving.

• 3rd Jul 2014

I slept amazingly good in the bed. Not the cleanest hostel and a bit run down. There was not much place to keep your stuff and cold everywhere. The girl who checked me in was really nice. There is no wi-fi except in the livingroom and the garage and the constant FIFA game playing quickly became sort of a annoyance. Location is what made me change to another hostel in the end, but if I would have been staying for long I would maybe have stayed there longer because of the cheap price.