BB's Working Backpackers Reviews

677 Darling Street (corner Victoria Road), Balmain 2039, Sydney, Australia

Nice anda warm

• 11th Sep 2014

Best atmosphere ever! If you're looking for good people to meet you can't go wrong. With weekly and monthly rates you won't find a better value for your money. Good showers and lounge area too and it's nice you can smoke on the balcony. I've been here since January so I must like it :)

• 27th Aug 2014

We Have been in many hostels during our journey but this was the worst! It was unbelievably dirty, especially the bathrooms (fingernails in bathtub for 3 days!) and cooking was impossible because of the dirt. Wouldn't recommend it! Oh and it's pretty far away from the city, just go to Kingscross - way better!

As the cheapest possible hostel available, my expectations were low. You certainly get what you pay for. The hotel is dirty, dark and not a lot works properly. I'm not saying that people shouldn't stay, we didn't leave feeling annoyed, but didn't leave with any photos we would want in our holiday albums! The people were friendly enough. We can't complain much as it was so cheap.

• 31st Jul 2014

Really enjoyed the stay there, so close to everything and room was exactly what we needed as we only used the room to sleep and get changed/shower. It wasn't the cleanest place, bathroom area particularly was quite messy but for the price it was livable! The staff were quite nice, however hard to get in contact with due to the reduced reception hours. I am still yet to hear word about receiving my key deposit back after contacting reception several times prior to leaving.

• 3rd Jul 2014

I slept amazingly good in the bed. Not the cleanest hostel and a bit run down. There was not much place to keep your stuff and cold everywhere. The girl who checked me in was really nice. There is no wi-fi except in the livingroom and the garage and the constant FIFA game playing quickly became sort of a annoyance. Location is what made me change to another hostel in the end, but if I would have been staying for long I would maybe have stayed there longer because of the cheap price.

I really like the place, the value for the money is more than excellent, the location is amazing and it even has a car park. The atmosphere in the hostel is really awesome! Cheers!

• 26th Jun 2014

Loud/dirty. Most people were to drunk or buzzed to care about the mess (they were the ones creating it). I ignored that part. There was this alarm on an entry door that kept going off all night. I couldn't get solid sleep until 2am. There isn't an actual staff at this place. It;s just a bunch of hungover long-termers who trade work for stay. They say it gets cleaned 2x a day, but that's not enough. The dirty bathrooms smelled like old urine, and never had any soap. Don't pay more than $10/night

I'm sorry you didn't like it here. The time you came was a bit loud. We had a farewell party for some people who had stayed with us for a few months. We don't supply backpackers with soap, thats something we expect you to buy for yourself. In regards to the door we found a guest that was leaving the door open because he couldn't remember the door code so that problem is fixed now. If you come by Syd have a night on us, I can put you in a room not near the front door and shout you some soap :D

You get what you pay for. Stayed for a week. Reception closed early so not useful for working travellers who only get back after 5. Terrible security no locks and anyone can ring the doorbell and walk In. No lockers either. Only one of the hobs worked between 20-30 people. Cracked beds and cramped rooms. Atmosphere is only good thing. Everyone social but there are some sketchy looking people in there too. I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

• 25th May 2014

Really friendly, great for meeting people. Easy to travel into the city. Excellent value for money

• 19th May 2014

I never saw a Hostel like this. It was dirty, it smells awful in the rooms and you couldn't open a window for fresh air. Also the bathroom, wehre you couldn't lock the doors (in 2 bathrooms the same !!!) and it was so dirty, that I decided to have a shower in another Hostel, where my friends were stayed. When I left the house, all my clothes smells very bad and I felt not very comfortable. From the room to the kitchen you have to pass through a garage. For me, that's the worst Hostel I ever been

• 18th May 2014

Hi there, Thank you for leaving your feedback. Any broken locks are now fixed. The hostel is actually quite large. I think you may have missed the other 90% of the hostel. There is 8 bathrooms, 2 big balconies, 2 kitchens and 4 common areas 2 of which are TV rooms with leather sofas. You don't need to walk through garage to the kitchens, you can if you want to.. The windows in your room were closed for the air-con.

I am NOT a picky traveler and I don't mind a little mess especially for cheap. HOWEVER this is what we arrived to: abroken front door that rang an alarm everytime it was opened, the DIRTIEST bathrooms I have ever experienced, no locks on doors, "lounge" is a garage (literally) where you have to sit to use WIFI, so much mess and dirt that health inspection showed up to investigate because someone called to complain. This place was just too gross even if it is cheap it's not worth it.

The "alarm" at the front door is not broken. It's a soft beep to help keep it closed for security. We have locks on all doors and its the guests choice whether to lock them or not. Some leave them unlocked as theft is not a problem at BBs.There is 8 bathrooms, 2 big balconies, 2 kitchens and 4 common areas 2 of which are TV rooms with leather sofas. Smoking is permitted inside the carpark and free Wi-Fi is all over the building. The inspection was an annual routine visit which we passed.

I had a great time. Why the bad comments? I had to say this because the staff is very nice and I think the hostel is cheap, fun and friendly.

Awesome to hear you had a great time:-D

When we came here, we were afraid because we read some bad reviews but the hostel is much better than they say! We almost stayed here one week and had a great time! it´s a very cool hostel where you feel like in a big familiy and every day we spent here we had so much fun! thanks for the good time here and we´ll definitely come back soon!

• 5th May 2014

YAY!!! thank Philipp :D

Staff very friendly, friendly backpackers willing to help anyone in any situation. nice cheap and very central to Sydney CBD and a nice neighbourhood shopping village.

• 3rd May 2014

This hostel has got the best atmosphere I have ever been in. People are really cool and I felt like I found friends here. Really recommend others to stay here if they wanna look for buddies to talk to and even travel with ;)

• 1st May 2014
  • Indonesia

Im still here :D Ive made mad friends and the place is cheap, fun and relaxed. Staff are nice and don't get in your face.

Thank Rachel :D Glad you like it here!

The cleanliness of the hostel was appauling Make sure the toilets are unblocked and don't leave it for 5days blocked!!! showers were disgusting aswell! Does the bin being emptyed count as a full bedroom clean??? If so you need a new cleaner.

• 20th Apr 2014

Thanks, we did change cleaners. Its hard because we offer the cleaning work to backpackers to help them out. Which is great but sometimes we are let down when they just take off one day without notice :D Im sure you may know some from your travels! Anyways we keep trying, following up and so on. Our new ones are great :D Cheers

Positive review recommend to stay for those who are truly into backpacking community

YES! thank you :D Thats exactly what we are about.

I have never stayed in a worst hostel, staff are unhelpful, they leave notes around the hostel with other guests personal information visible , then when confronted about ongoing issues with staff the blame was passed on to all other staff! Alot of dope smoking in communal areas, night staff are involved in this also. Hostel is highly unclean and maintenance is obviously not kept up, I went to lift a book and the pages were covered in maggots, there is a constant bad stench! Don't stay here!

Maggots in a book? Are you sure your not making this up because you were asked to leave? Feed back meant to be constructive not vengeful.