BB's Working Backpackers Reviews

677 Darling Street (corner Victoria Road), Balmain 2039, Sydney, Australia

I think it was the worst place I ever seen in my life. Very smelly and dirty toilets and bathrooms that no one cared for cleaning, my room didn't have any window and we were 14 people with 40 degrees. There isn't a staff, it's everything managed by some boy and girl that are guest of the hostel and so they don't care to do their job. Wi fi didn't work. The Rozelle suburb is not bad but consider you are far from thecity and you'll have to spend money for the bus everytime to go to the cbd.

• 31st Dec 2014

We clean the hostel every morning and every evening. There are 8 bathrooms and toilets to choose from and the wi fi is free to all in all areas of the building. We occasionally turn it off for short periods to interrupt people downloading. If we didn't it would be really slow. In regards to your room. Its advertised as the budget 14 share. Summer was very mild this year and besides there is air-con set to 25 degrees in your room which is why the windows are closed. Location is clear in the ad.

They accused us of things and forced us to leave .

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Iran

The accusations of your behaviour had photographic evidence. The girl who your were sexually indecent towards was very happy that you were asked to leave. You are lucky she didn't want to press charges. There is no place here for such indecent behaviour.

Horrendous. Booked this hostel for 3 nights and it was quite possibly the worst 3 nights we've ever experienced. I can't begin to explain how messy this hostel is. It's smelly, dark, old and overall very depressing. The free WiFi was the only plus point but it was only available in the lounge or the garage, which incidentally, is where reception, the washing machines and a fridge are located?! Our room was unlocked when we first got there, so much for security! I'd recommend staying away!

• 28th Nov 2014

We love the FREE wifi! that is in the lounge rooms, some bedrooms and garage. We have an extra fridge in the basement and three fridges in each kitchen so there is plenty of room for your food. We have keys for the rooms but most people don't want one-its up to you guys! we also have great guests who are lots of fun to be around! not to mention FREE clothes dryers! I'd suggest you come and check us out!

Good location and that's all good. Everything else is poor or average. But if you are looking for cheap stay -that's a nice variant.

• 26th Nov 2014
  • Russia

Hi yes we do have a great location, with bus to city across the street, great cafe's. eateries and pubs, weekend markets a beautiful waterfront reserve only a short walk away and cheap, cheap rates!

It's filthy in common area, and it got bad ventilation in my room. Air-con doesn't work well, it's such a torture to stay there in summer time.

I understand that this is one of (if not the) cheapest hostels in Sydney - so one shouldn’t expect too much. And the "uncleanliness" is primarily made by "us", the guests (mainly working or looking for work backpackers - not really traveling backpackers like me). Still I consider it (also) the responsibility of the management/owner(s) to prevent this - show more exemplary status.

Gday we are the cheapest hostel in Sydney and we are very proud of that! we have working backpackers and people just stopping in for a couple of days, we hope everyone has a great time and the staff ensure the hostel is kept clean for everyone to enjoy!

I've never seen a place so dirty, I had to ask to clean again the bathroom, even after that the bathroom was still dirty! I think the manager never check what kind of work their staff do!! The room (a double room) was so small and without window. The garage was full of backpacker's car on sale or cars left there. People smoking everywhere. The washing machine was impossible to close, i had to use the bin to lock it. The stove wasn't working, so we never was able to cook there. DO NOT GO THERE

I booked this hostel on a weekend when the rugby league final was occurring, so there were basically no rooms available in Sydney except for here. When I got the bus up to the hostel, I was told that the booking hadn't gone through and the place was fully booked. Apparently the internet was down. Not necessarily the hostels fault, and the receptionist was very nice about it, giving me full refund and offered to let me stash my bag there til the next night, but I was homeless for the night. Fun.

• 4th Oct 2014

Nice anda warm

• 11th Sep 2014

Hi we are so happy you enjoyed your stay! we hope to see you again soon:D

Best atmosphere ever! If you're looking for good people to meet you can't go wrong. With weekly and monthly rates you won't find a better value for your money. Good showers and lounge area too and it's nice you can smoke on the balcony. I've been here since January so I must like it :)

• 27th Aug 2014

Hi its awesome that you had a great time! and we love our cheap rates and giving people a discount for longer stays!

We Have been in many hostels during our journey but this was the worst! It was unbelievably dirty, especially the bathrooms (fingernails in bathtub for 3 days!) and cooking was impossible because of the dirt. Wouldn't recommend it! Oh and it's pretty far away from the city, just go to Kingscross - way better!

Hi, we clean the hostel more than twice everyday and you should let us know if there is something that needs attention. We have great people staying here and are a 7 minute bus ride into the cbd and walking distance to waterfront reserves, great shopping, pubs and food. We love Balmain!

As the cheapest possible hostel available, my expectations were low. You certainly get what you pay for. The hotel is dirty, dark and not a lot works properly. I'm not saying that people shouldn't stay, we didn't leave feeling annoyed, but didn't leave with any photos we would want in our holiday albums! The people were friendly enough. We can't complain much as it was so cheap.

• 31st Jul 2014