Baby Bush Lodge Reviews

Kiwengwa, Zanzibar, Tanzania

This hostel is a bit hard to find with local bus but taxi ride is fine to get here. The view from this hostel is fabulous! The shower is salty and you need to ask unsalted water from the staffs. The breakfast is great and staffs are friendly enough to dance with you. I slept over the sofa at night instead of my bed at night. Sleeping open air was much cooler than inside dorm. i highly recommend to everyone to stay this hostel.

The hostel is nice and chill, location is good but the staff could be a bit better. But all in all it was a good stay :)

• 8th Jan 2014
  • Faroe Islands

The staff and the owners gave a warm welcome, this was my second time at baby bush lodge and im defently comeing back with new friends and family members. It was a perfect vaccation yet it feelt like home, cozy feeling

• 5th Jan 2014
  • Sweden

The bathrooms constantly smelled like a public toilet. I understand that it is a hostel but having stayed in other hostels for HALF the price and standard beyond my expectations, basic hygiene should be a minimum. The hostel takes advantage of the fact that there are few restaurants nearby so their menu is both expensive and the food is sub par. The staff.....honestly have the attitude that they have no idea what is going on. Too laid back and can never give you an exact answer about ANYTHING.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Baby Bush. My only comment would be to have better or larger signs indicating how to get to the hostel. A great perk that I experienced at another hostel were free snorkels. With all the sea life there it would have been really great to be able to borrow a pair of snorkels to go and check it out. Also for a volunteer traveler the food and beverages were a bit expensive.

Room very hot

• 15th Dec 2013

NOT located on a map where it is on the 'Map & directions' Tab on this website. It's on the other side of the island to the where the Dar es Salaam ferry pulls in an easy Half an hour drive. This I found extremely frustrating when I first arrived in off the ferry however, The friendly staff when I finally arrive there, the beautiful location and delicious food and drinks at Baby Bush quickly made up for the misleading info on the hostelworld website. This should be corrected though.

Good place to stay on Kiwengwa Beach (Map says it is in Stone Town - it is not). Food is a Little bit expensive, but tastes good. While i was there it was empty, but i can imagine it beeing super cool once it is full of People.

I was so pleased with Baby Bush - the place was so beautiful and it was such a special place - I would recommend it to anyone. It as right on the beach, and also the breakfast was top quality and delicious.

• 19th Sep 2013
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

My experience at Baby Bush was beyond my expectations. I came looking for an affordable, relaxing get-away, and left with new friends and great memories. Being the only guest at the lodge very easily could have been awkward and boring but the Staff a Baby Bush instead made me feel very comfortable and at home so that I not only enjoyed my time but wanted to extend my stay for longer. There were a few maintenance issues like drippy shower heads but overall the place was beautiful and well kept.

• 12th Sep 2013

While I loved my stay in Zanzibar, the Baby Bush Lodge left a lot to be desired. Aesthetically, it's magnificent, and it's location is perfect for lounging on the beach or catching a boat out to snorkel or swim with dolphins, but our 8-bed dorm was dark and damp and the salt water facilities were not as much fun as they sound. Also, our group got into a pretty unsettling altercation with one of the staff members after he demanded more money than he had originally asked for for a ride into town.

Nice place for relaxing. A little bit far from the town.

Awesome times - hanging out at the beach, lounging around, cool staff add people staying there. Thanks!

Amazing hostel with laid-back and friendly staff right at the beautiful beach of Kiwengwa. Fantastic sitting/lounge area to enjoy their great (but not too cheap) food and drinks and enjoy the stunning view. I can only recommend this place!!

I LOVED my stay at Baby Bush! While I thought in the beginning that Kiwengwa was a little too remote and quiet (about an hour and a half from Stone Town by dala dala), it totally won me over with it's serenity, sweet staff, and truly unique hostel. It's like living in a tree house with sun, shade, and views of the beach. If you're looking for a more lively area with a better beach for swimming, you should head towards Paje, but Baby Bush was a beautiful retreat.

• 11th Jun 2013

This hostel is very comfortable, with a scenic view and lots of places to chill out... I really liked it!

The location is beautiful and the lounge area is huge and nice! The breeze makes it a lovely place to hang out and read a book, drink some beer and just relax! A great place to go for a quiet holiday... Note: food and drinks at the lodge/Kiwengwa Beach is expensive, so remember to withdraw a lot of money before you get there (the nearest atm is in Stone Town). Don't leave your personal belongings unattended, several things got stolen while we were there. The showers/sink only have salt water...

• 2nd Jan 2013
  • Norway

apart from some issues with unfunctional toilets, it was a pleasant stay at this really relaxed hostel.

• 31st Dec 2012

Very basic, no AC or fans in the dorms. Very noisy. Salt water showers. OK for a couple of nights but no longer than that. Bar is very chilled and good. Beach is nice. Owner and staff are very cool, just need a little refurbishment.

I had a great stay, and I will certainly pass by if I return to Zanzibar. The restaurant/bar/lounge building is amazing with a stunning view of the ocean. The rooms are clean, and the staff is nice and helpful. The food is good, but too expensive, but then again all of Zanzibar is highly over-priced. Overall I really enjoyed my stay, and I would definitely recommend this hotel/hostel.